Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2016 2:59:20 PM EDT
Porcupine: Fat, slow, noisy,waddling and doesn't give a shit about anything.
DOG: Intensely interested in anything smelly that moves.

somehow, DOG managed to kill  about 20 pounds of porcupine, and then dragged it home.

She was real smart about it, used the gravel driveway to  break off  a lot of quills, but still has a few left in her face.

She wants to keep her new piercings, any good trick  for holding dog down for quill removal ?

Dog is 99 pound rottweiller,  is impervious to valium, and passionately HATES pliers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Porcupine: Fat, slow, noisy,waddling and doesn't give a shit about anything.DOG: Intensely interested in anything smelly that moves.

somehow, DOG managed to kill  about 20 pounds of porcupine, and then dragged it home.
She was real smart about it, used the gravel driveway to  break off  a lot of quills, but still has a few left in her face.

She wants to keep her new piercings, any good trick  for holding dog down for quill removal ?

Dog is 99 pound rottweiller,  is impervious to valium, and passionately HATES pliers.
View Quote

Check her mouth.
She may need to be put under to get them out.
I've gone through this three times.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that sucks. I thought it was bad when my dog met a skunk for the first time but a face full of quills would be terrible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Vet time. As another said, she may have some lodged in her mouth and may need to be put under. Quill pieces left behind can also abcess, which is a whole 'nother unsavory set of problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Advice is solid, my grandfather only called the vet for coonhounds when they got it in the mouth. Otherwise my dad would hold them down while he worked the pliers. Always hated it but there wasn't many better options I suppose.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
At least your doggie didn't end up like this pooch.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks like one is in the eye.  Poor dag

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vet time. As another said, she may have some lodged in her mouth and may need to be put under. Quill pieces left behind can also abcess, which is a whole 'nother unsavory set of problems.
View Quote

What she said.  

Seriously broken off quills will migrate through the skin into organs, etc.  

Go to vet.  They will make her sleepy and pull all those suckers out with no conscious pain.  Even more important you want to avoid stressing her with attempted home treatment.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Time for a trip to the vet.............

We had a 45# mutt who HATED porkys.....he killed 'em but he suffered for it too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Any of them can kill him, but the ones in the mouth can do it much faster.

My current dumbass of a dog got one in this throat that paralyzed his vocal cord and he sounds like has laryngitis when he barks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:27:31 AM EDT
[#11]
She is a great dog, but unfortunately not a smart one..

3rd encounter with porcupine.    .After number TWO, I said I was not taking her to vet again.

THIS porcupine was huge, over 20 pounds. She killed it, dragged it all the way home, left a long trail of quills, and porcupine skin chunks along the driveway. large kill zone, weeds all packed down, quills and blood. She got it flipped over, ripped out throat, chest zone for kill. Miraculously, only had 5 quills in her.

Wife found old copy of book " Rottweillers for Dummies" we tried the tourniquet trick: tied a pair of nylon leggings tight around muzzle, and back over back of head. I sat on dog, wife used pliers, extraction was success.  

Dog is happy, seems to have forgotten the whole ordeal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top