Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2016 6:34:48 AM EDT
I live in Ga and only the rear plate is required for your vehicle.

I see people driving around all the time with plates from states they previously lived in on the front license plate and their Ga plates on the back, which is legal.

Would it be legal to put a sample plate from a different state that you never resided in with 000000, or totally blank on the front plate holder? Or a novelty plate like "FK HILRY" or "2ND AMND"?

Most state DMV's will allow you to order sample or novelty plates. I'd like to put one on the front of my car

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't invite the man into your life?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I recall seeing people doing the same thing during the short time I lived in Florida .
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#4]
In NC if you have a historic vehicle you can put a plate from any state with the year of your car on.  I have a 1967 Grand Prix with an OH plate that says '67 GP.  You just have to keep the correct plate in the car with your registration.

ETA  "Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recall seeing people doing the same thing during the short time I lived in Florida .
View Quote

Used to see it a lot in Georgia in the '90s and early '00s. I think it was most people being too lazy/stupid to take the old front plate off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I see VW GTI idiots with fake euro plates all the time
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a USNB Gitmo plate on the front of my Jeep in NC. Never had a problem with it either being stopped or going through DUI roadblocks. Small world, met another former jarhead with a Gitmo plate on the front of his car near the SC border.

Edit, there's also a guy at work that has an Aruba plate on the front of his vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Would you care if we then made fun of you in 2 years when you make a thread about how some backwater Deputy Dog with nothing better to do gave you a ticket for having two plates?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would you care if we then made fun of you in 2 years when you make a thread about how some backwater Deputy Dog with nothing better to do gave you a ticket for having two plates?
View Quote

In 2 years, I'll have the real plates
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Growing up in Ohio, we used to go to Pennsylvania a lot to visit relatives.

Sometimes dad would take the license plate off if we were going to stay in PA for multiple days.

It would be stupid it put a front license plate on if you didn't need one.

Don't cops aim for them when lazing?

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Everything is illegal if they want it to be.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Done all the time in FL. No one gives a fuck since we're a one plate state. It is no different than any other vanity plate.

Me personally, I took the front plate holder for my truck and chucked it in the trash. I like not having to have two plates.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

When I lived there the big thing with the sportfish guys was having a stolen Bahamas plate on the front.  I don't remember hearing any stories about anyone getting stopped.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't invite the man into your life?
View Quote

yeah, the farther down in the weeds, the better
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
No issues here, but you know... Freedom and shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When I lived there the big thing with the sportfish guys was having a stolen Bahamas plate on the front.  I don't remember hearing any stories about anyone getting stopped.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bimini was the plate of choice since it was the easiest island to get to.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In NC if you have a historic vehicle you can put a plate from any state with the year of your car on.  I have a 1967 Grand Prix with an OH plate that says '67 GP.  You just have to keep the correct plate in the car with your registration.

ETA  "Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."
View Quote

Double check with NC state, in TN you can get antique auto tags which are $30 and permanent to vehicle for life(some restrictions on use, all doable though)

Now like me I found year of manufacture plates for my state, 1936 TN STAMPED plates (since I had the set I knew they were not registered) went to court house and now have permanent plates simply because they took a picture of plate and my registration has the 1936 plate, no more carrying a "real" plate

$30 for life plates that are cool and unique
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Another question on the topic:

If I take my vehicle from a 2-plate state to a 1-plate state, can I remove the front plate?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#20]
illegal in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Probably a felony in California.
"Display of counterfeit document" or some such crap.

We are "supposed" to run two plates and there are some cops who just love to target things like sports cars for no front plate.

That said, it looks like about 30% of the cars on the road here run no front plate (me included).

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Another question on the topic:

If I take my vehicle from a 2-plate state to a 1-plate state, can I remove the front plate?
View Quote

The short answer is yes.

They don't have any authority to enforce the front license plate law outside of the state because most people don't even know which state you're supposed to have front license plates, which ones you don't, and if there are any  exceptions to the law.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Here you are required to have two plates, and if you are working here and your vehicle is registered out of state you are supposed to get some type of registration here and put a Montana plate on the front.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We are "supposed" to run two plates and there are some cops who just love to target things like sports cars for no front plate.

That said, it looks like about 30% of the cars on the road here run no front plate (me included).

View Quote

Had a cop question my Grand Prix while I was in Ca.  '67 GP plate in the front from Oh and Historic tag in the back from NC.  He just said if the "wrong" cop pulled me over I "may" have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#27]
we need a national one plate law
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a CO plate on the front of my truck in GA when I moved back from Aspen.  It had the "ZG" and everything.  I think its hanging in my garage now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A forged out of state plate?
View Quote

forged...stronger than cast?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

how so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
illegal in Oklahoma.

how so?

miss read it in title 47 it is only pertaining to expired OK tags.

States an expired Oklahoma tag (such as a personalized tag) can not be put on the front of the vehicle with current tags on the rear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A forged out of state plate?
View Quote

Yeah, but on the front of my vehicle. You don't need a front plate in Ga. I see tons of carpetbaggers who leave their NY front plates on and have the required Ga plate on their rear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a German plate one one car and on the other still the one from MO until I get my custom plate that I ordered in Germany

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#36]
It looks as if you are looking for approval, rather than asking for opinions.

Do it, and we'll wait for the thread telling us how some asshole cop pulled you over and wrote you up for misuse of registration plates.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#37]
it is a free world, do what you want
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It looks as if you are looking for approval, rather than asking for opinions.

Do it, and we'll wait for the thread telling us how some asshole cop pulled you over and wrote you up for misuse of registration plates.
View Quote

I'm looking for legality.

Only thing I could find was O.C.G.A. § 40-2-5

Use of license plate for purpose of concealing or misrepresenting identity of vehicle; use of expired prestige license plate

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, it shall be unlawful:

(1) To remove or transfer a license plate from the motor vehicle for which such license plate was issued; (I will not be removing my rear plate.)

(2) To sell or otherwise transfer or dispose of a license plate upon or for use on any motor vehicle other than the vehicle for which such license plate was issued; (Sample plates aren't issued for any other vehicles)

(3) To buy, receive, use, or possess for use on a motor vehicle any license plate not issued for use on such motor vehicle; or (I'm assuming this means putting a regular license plate on an 18 wheeler)

(4) To operate a motor vehicle bearing a license plate which was improperly removed or transferred from another vehicle. (Nope)

(b) Any person who shall knowingly violate any provision of subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 or by confinement for not more than 12 months, or both.

(c) It shall not be unlawful for any person to place an expired prestige license plate on the front of a motor vehicle provided that such vehicle also bears a current valid license plate on the rear of such vehicle. (This means I'm good to go right? Only concern is that a sample plate was never expired because it was never issued in the first place.)

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
no kidding? I never see cars with no front plate (almost never)        

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something that I look at while sitting in traffic.
I have been driving for over 25 years, have owned over a dozen cars and have run a front plate on 1-2 of them tops.
Been cited for it twice in all that time. One of the cites was in place of a speeding ticket (got stopped for speeding, cop decided to write me for the plate instead).
Hell, I drove my current truck around for over a year with dealer plastic plates on it. The DMV screwed up and sent me new plates with expired tags. Rather then dealing with the dumbtards at the DMV I just left the dealership ad plates on it until my registration was renewed and I had current tags to put on my plates.

Our governor recently closed the "new car loophole" and all cars sold will now have to have plates on them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I put a European plate on the front of my old Volvo wagon to be hip.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have been driving for over 25 years, have owned over a dozen cars and have run a front plate on 1-2 of them tops.

Been cited for it twice in all that time. One of the cites was in place of a speeding ticket (got stopped for speeding, cop decided to write me for the plate instead).

Hell, I drove my current truck around for over a year with dealer plastic plates on it. The DMV screwed up and sent me new plates with expired tags. Rather then dealing with the dumbtards at the DMV I just left the dealership ad plates on it until my registration was renewed and I had current tags to put on my plates.

Our governor recently closed the "new car loophole" and all cars sold will now have to have plates on them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is the new car loophole?

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New cars in California are sold without plates.  The sale and registration info is sent to the DMV, and they send you a set of plates in a couple weeks or so.  All the owner is given at time of sale is a little paper temp registration that is taped onto the windshield.Some used cars purchased from dealerships come the same way.  People would buy a used car, put a dealership paper plate on the car, and drive around with an unregisteed vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
New cars in California are sold without plates.  The sale and registration info is sent to the DMV, and they send you a set of plates in a couple weeks or so.  All the owner is given at time of sale is a little paper temp registration that is taped onto the windshield.Some used cars purchased from dealerships come the same way.  People would buy a used car, put a dealership paper plate on the car, and drive around with an unregisteed vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To add: The dealership paper plates were just little ads for the dealership that sold the car.
If you had a decent late model vehicle, you could drive around with a "Toyota of SanSomethingorother" ad plate for quite a while (as I found out).
If one wanted to evade tolls and not worry about red light photo enforcement or LEO camera cars, it could prove to be pretty handy.
(No, I didn't do any of that).

ETA: Steve Jobs used to lease a brand new BMW every year, trading them in when he finally had to put plates on them. I also had a client that had quite a fleet of exotics and musclecars that he would pull the same trick with, never had plates on any of them, just the dealer plastic plate and a CHP 11-99 foundation plate frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top