Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 4:52:45 PM EDT
I bought this today for ~$800.  Now that I own this chick-magnet, am I doomed to be poor forever?

Not my boat - picture of another Lido 14

By the way, I know JACK about sailing.  I sailed an even smaller sailboat like 20 years ago at Boy Scout camp, and it was a friggin' blast!  My buddy and I flipped it over about 6-7 times learning how to make it go, but we ultimately figured out how to get all round the lake, even moving upwind.  I've wanted one ever since.  I moved near a lake about a year ago, so I decided it was time.  Saw one for sale locally this week.  It came with two sets of sails and was advertised as fully functional.

Do we have a corner on ARFCOM for sailboat guys?  What's the best sailboat forum outside of ARFCOM?  
I want to work on some improvements to the boat over the winter, and I have a LOT of questions.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
HA!  lido was my first.  it would be hard to find a better boat to learn to sail in.  very stable, honest handling, and enough sail area to prevent it from being a tub.  i taught myself to sail in that boat, with a copy of 'the annapolis book of seamanship' across my knees.

first suggestion would be to check your gooseneck (the part that connects the boom to the mast).  mine was a cheap aluminum casting that broke.  would strongly recommend buying or fabricating a spare.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you going to name it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You must have a small gun collection
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was a kid we lived in Florida for a few years and my Dad bought a similar boat.  He said it was an ex racing boat, "Missile" or "Rocket" class, 14' I think.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

edit wrong quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

POON HUNTER
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gross - I don't own guns.

But if I did, I would definitely keep all of them stored on this baby at all times.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Pussy Grabber"
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HA!  lido was my first.  it would be hard to find a better boat to learn to sail in.  very stable, honest handling, and enough sail area to prevent it from being a tub.  i taught myself to sail in that boat, with a copy of 'the annapolis book of seamanship' across my knees.

first suggestion would be to check your gooseneck (the part that connects the boom to the mast).  mine was a cheap aluminum casting that broke.  would strongly recommend buying or fabricating a spare.
View Quote

This is encouraging!

I'll take a look, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"Pussy Grabber"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Pussy Grabber"

LOL name it PG or PG-13
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you do, don't rename it if it is already named. BAD JUJU MON
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well that's cute.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Name it "Deplorable".
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
OP aint gonna be able to move to France in that lil bro-boat when Trump wins.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Sailing is a hoot. Had a Windmill back in the '70s.
My Uncle had a Lightning in his single days that he named "The Mayflower" because the gals came across on it.

There are plenty of instructional books and on-line videos to learn from. Have fun because it is addictive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't capsize captain! -

View Quote

if you aren't capsizing every now and then, you're not sailing it hard enough!

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't rename it if it is already named. BAD JUJU MON
View Quote

Appreciate that!  I did not know that.  It's not named yet, though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#20]

AAAARRGHH..  T'was last eve when I set sails... and she be a fine sea-going vessel indeed!

Fun Fact - not only was this photo taken with a shitty camera in shitty light conditions, but I'm also a terrible photographer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top