Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 7:09:01 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this product? My wife and I bought a new truck and the dealer offered Xzilon paint protection for free. I thought " Free..what the heck, I'll try it." We were told to leave the truck and that we could pick it up in the morning. Having never heard of this product before, I began doing some internet research this evening. There have been some customers that love it some that say that it ruined their vehicle's finish.  If you have had this product applied to your car can you share your opinion? Thanks.

Follow up:
I am so sorry that I let the dealership do this. Picked the truck up this morning and the first thing I notice is a small dent in the left front fender. It's a bright sunny day here, so next, the hood looks like someone used a dusty rag to polish it. There are major swirl marks and hazing. And best of all are the dried water spots all over the hood. I was told to bring it back in Monday to have their guy look at it. All I can say is that I could've done a better job myself with any quality sealant and wax.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
like all other accessories  keep the warranty paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been painting cars professionally since 1991. I am a Meister certified refinisher through Axalta Coatings (formerly DuPont). All modern urethane clear coats are guaranteed for life against hazing, fading and damage from uv rays. They will not lose gloss. Now, this is of course relying on the finish being applied properly and having the proper mil thickness. A wax will not help the finish perform any better. What a wax will do is maybe repel dirt and debris because it's slick feeling and has less surface tension. The sealers and protectors sold by the dealers are money grabbing gimics.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply. This product was offered to us for free, so I chose to take it. Do I need to be concerned about it damaging the finish? Even though we didn't pay for it I'm kinda regretting getting it after reading some of the complaints.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. This product was offered to us for free, so I chose to take it. Do I need to be concerned about it damaging the finish? Even though we didn't pay for it I'm kinda regretting getting it after reading some of the complaints.
View Quote

I don't know if it would damage anything. Typically you don't want to wax a fresh paint job for at least 30 days, longer in cooler weather, to give the solvents enough time to evaporate out of the finish during the curing process. If you wax too soon you can trap solvents and this can cause some die back and loss of gloss. It would have to be buffed out to fix it. The factory finishes are baked differently than the bake systems that body shops use so hopefully their finishes are well cured by the time of the sale. I have seen new vehicles on the lot that are less than a month old from the date of manufacturer though. That would be my only concern with it and even then I wouldn't worry much about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't consider it to be worth more than $50. (Time someone has to spend applying it to the car)

Most dealers charge $500-700+ for that type of application. They come in a variety of different names, whoever the dealer partners with.

It's an up sell and one where dealers make a lot of $$$ off it.

All those "coatings" are pretty much the same. They don't last forever, just a lot longer than wax.

To be honest, it's not going to do much. It's just a modern form of wax at the end of the day.

In other words, your dealer just gave you a $50 credit, perhaps at true cost $25.

Nothing in the dealer world is free. Keep that in mind...

If you want to get it done, do it.

Or just say no thanks, buy a $20 bottle of sealant and go over the car yourself in about 30 min.

ps. 99% of the time dealers DON'T do the proper paint correction at delivery.

Even brand new, factory paint can have a LOT of problems.

If it was me, I'd say no. Send the car off to a real detailer to clay, polish, etc the exterior then seal it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. As I said, we'd already agreed to have it done since it was offered for free. We pick it up in the morning. I'm sure it was already in the process of being done when I posted this. So I'll let you know how it looks. I'm not too worried about the paint being cured, it's a 2016 model that I know had been in dealer stock for a while. If I'd not been so eager to get something for free from the dealer, and researched it first, I probably would have passed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What a waste of money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

See, They install that Truecoat at the factory, there's nothing I can do about it, but I'll ask my boss.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I always get that and also the  extended warranty, ZBart Rustproofing,Scotchguard for the interior and extra special insurance for the "expensive" rims.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What a waste of money.
View Quote

Thanks for the update op. Good to know
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I would not let the dealer touch shit with regards to the paint.  Hop on autopia and find someone who performs auto details in your area and can properly restore and protect your paint.  It will cost hundreds of dollars (or thousands) but they can bring it back.

I would speak to the dealer about covering it but they obviously won't be interested.

For future reference, I'd request the dealer to not touch the car upon delivery and to leave the protective plastic on.  Their detail service (unless they contract out separately) is a 16 year old high school kid with a rotary polisher and some turtle wax who doesnt know the difference between polishing compound and sandpaper.  He will fuck up your finish.  I see it on a lot of new cars unfortunately.  Some people think holograms are a cool feature of their paint.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Again, thanks for all of the responses. I guess I've just learned a very valuable, if not expensive lesson here. I'm going to try and argue with the dealership about making this right. I suppose they will blame the product, xzilon will blame the dealership, and I'll end up stuck footing the bill to have it done right. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
We used to call it mop n glow. The dealership I worked at in the 90's used NuFinish. The same stuff you can buy anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Updates?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top