Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If anyone has read my mouse safaris they know I enjoy odd adventures. This sounds right up my alley.

I might even figure a way to work airsoft guns into this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have a couple hives in my yard. They're a pain in the ass or where ever they happen to zap you.

I think I may have killed one nest off with (expensive) wasp/hornet killer and Coleman fuel. The boy just found another today.

I figured they'd be hibernating by now, but that ain't happening.

Most all of the "how to get rid of ground bees" sites I've just found are a bunch of fucking Nancy boy, environment friendly, call a professional, bull shit crap.

Does anyone have a cheap, easy, reliable, safe way to deal with these rascals?

I've got some spare black powder I'm thinking about pouring down the hole and sticking a fuse in it for fun.

I've heard that boric acid poured in the hole works. Anyone tried this?

Post your ground bee adventures here.

No one ever listens to this advice, but cover the entry with a glass bowl and mound up the edges with dirt so none get in or out.  They won't try to dig a new entry because they think they can still use the current one.  Not only does it work, but it is cool to watch them trying to get out.  I have seen piles of dead bodies laying on the inside of the bowl, only to come back later and they were all removed by the rest of the hive.  You can also knock on the bowl nd get them all riles up and watch them fro the safety of the outside of the bowl.

It is effective, it is easy, it is safe, and it is entertainment.  What is there not to like?  It does take a few days though.

If anyone has read my mouse safaris they know I enjoy odd adventures. This sounds right up my alley.

I might even figure a way to work airsoft guns into this.

I'll hold your beer and watch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Freeze
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are considerably smaller than Yellow Jackets and are also called paper wasps.  

Yellow Jackets sting is worse because they are larger and have more venom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is ground bee Yankee for yellow jacket.

They are considerably smaller than Yellow Jackets and are also called paper wasps.  

In true GD fashion, none of what you said is true, and in fact the complete opposite is.

Paper wasps are considerably larger than yellowjackets. They nest under eaves, decks, and so on. They build the typical hanging nests we associate with wasps. They are non-aggressive and will only sting when they feel threatened. However, if they do sting, they are quite painful - much more so than a yellowjacket.

Yellowjackets nest in the ground. They are commonly misidentified as "bees" when they are actually an alien asshole species that serves no other purpose other than torturing humanity. They are aggressive and sting for no reason. Their stings are moderately painful and itchy and usually only cause problems when you run over a hive with your mower.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In true GD fashion, none of what you said is true, and in fact the complete opposite is.

Paper wasps are considerably larger than yellowjackets. They nest under eaves, decks, and so on. They build the typical hanging nests we associate with wasps. They are non-aggressive and will only sting when they feel threatened. However, if they do sting, they are quite painful - much more so than a yellowjacket.

Yellowjackets nest in the ground. They are commonly misidentified as "bees" when they are actually an alien asshole species that serves no other purpose other than torturing humanity. They are aggressive and sting for no reason. Their stings are moderately painful and itchy and usually only cause problems when you run over a hive with your mower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that. I hate it when people call these nasty bastards "bees".

Bees ~ Good
Ground wasps/yellow jackoffs ~ Bad

They may not sting as bad as a large wasp or Bald Faced Hornet ( the absolutely worst sting around here) , but the problem with these guys is that you may get nailed 20 or 30 times before you can get away. I've had them go up inside long sleeves, and inside the collar of heavy shirts that had the top button fastened to sting me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They are non-aggressive and will only sting when they feel threatened.

View Quote
Nope, the European Paper Wasp (they have yellow/orange antenna) become very aggressive towards the end of summer when they cannot find water.  At least I think water is the motive. If you walk within ten feet of the nest they may attack without notice.  This is mine and my neighbors experience in eastern Washington.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Sevin Dust
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Sprinkle a tablespoon of orthene powder into the hole, if one of them crawls through and carries it into the hive theyll all die in a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nope, the European Paper Wasp (they have yellow/orange antenna) become very aggressive towards the end of summer when they cannot find water.  At least I think water is the motive. If you walk within ten feet of the nest they may attack without notice.  This is mine and my neighbors experience in eastern Washington.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are non-aggressive and will only sting when they feel threatened.

Same here.  Wasps (including yellowjackets) are aggressive and territorial.

Bees=bros that make honey and won't fuck with you unless you fuck with their house (pretty reasonable, if I say so myself). Wasps=total assholes that attack for sport.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit... Its the only way to be sure...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
We seem to have to do this every time.  
Bees and bumblebees are good unless thy are in quantity in your house.  (or you have the Africanized version)  
Wasps are generally solitary or live in small colony with open nests or mud nests.  Usually not to aggressive unless you mess with their nest.  Many have the long danglie legs.  Mud dabbers are in the wasp family.
Hornet families are different.  More aggressive and larger nests. Those are bald faced / white faced hornets, which have round nest located in above ground bushes or trees,  When I say above ground I mean only that.  They can be on a stick just inches off the ground in a tall grass field so watch out for those.  Nests cam be quite large also.
European Hornets are somewhat rare.  Luckily.  They make large strange looking enclosed nests on buildings or in trees,  These bastards are the only hornet that is also fully active at night time which makes attack after dusk a cluster fuck.  They are bigger than Bald faced hornets. and look a bit like monster sized yellowjackets but with subdued, more earthan colors and markings.  These things are bigger than bumble bees.  
Yellowjackets and blackjackets are also hornets and they live in the ground,and have similar round nests with many hornets in the colony.  There are other yellowjacket look alikes that make nests in walls of houses or round nests in trees and bushes.  Those are technically not called yelloejackets for some reason but are very closely related them.   They are hornets as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#12]
You must do as I did and wage total war on their sorry winged asses. No mercy or quarter given....

First, let them know what horrors they will face if they continue their armed incursion onto your property

Then enjoy the spoils of war and relish in your victory over the winged hordes

Then with the hate in your heart gone and regret setting in, you decide to give your vanquished foe a warriors funeral...

See you in Valhalla brothers..

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]
whats a ground bee?

can you pour hot wax in the hole and seal it up?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never seen ground bees bother anyone.  Do you mean yellow jackets?

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

We've got'em here in NC and if you walk over a nest and disturb it, they will get you.  Every summer we have probably 40-50 holes in the driveway of our tractor shed that are full of these little bastards.  They are not yellow jackets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We've got'em here in NC and if you walk over a nest and disturb it, they will get you.  Every summer we have probably 40-50 holes in the driveway of our tractor shed that are full of these little bastards.  They are not yellow jackets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have them here as well.  Ground bees in my area are solitary bees that live basically one to a hole.  Yellow Jackets live in a hive in the ground.  Ground bees are not aggressive at all.  Yellow Jackets fly around looking for a reason to sting.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I'm no bug expert.

They are yellow jackets.

For some reason their venom affects me worse than a paper wasp. Plus they're aggressive as hell and will chase you 40 yards.

I figure if they have a stinger they're a bee. There's wasp bees, hornet bees, honey bees, ground bees, wood borer bees.

The boy went and poured some gas down the hole last night so I guess I don't get to do the glass bowl thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Sevin dust in a ketchup squeeze bottle squirted into the nest entrance.

Do it at night and all dead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Used a bug zapper to kill a yellow jacket nest under a bush next to our door.  Took a rake to stir them up and placed the zapper next to the bush.  They kept on attacking the bug zapper once it started killing a few. Nest was gone the next day.  It killed hundreds of them.  If I could reach the entrance it would have been delta dust down the entrance.  They hate that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Pour at least 2, five-gallon pails of hot, soapy water into their hive, after sunset.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i just pour the gas in the hole and it takes care of them do it after sun goes down so you get them all
View Quote

YES!  Don't light it.  The running mower over it doesn't work.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#24]
This has worked for us:

Locate hole during daylight.
Mark with underground utility flag (wire with colored flag)
Return after dark.
Squirt a heaping load of dish soap down the hole.
Immediately pour large amount (2-3 pots) of BOILING water down hole.
Nothing will survive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This actually sounds like fun.  I am going to try this the next time I have a digger wasp nest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had one in my compost pile, and a couple in my perennials, so gasoline was out.  I does work, but leaves a dead spot where nothing grows for some years.

The most effective way is also the most fun. Take your shop vac out to it. Assemble the longest hose extension you can, I even added a six foot piece of PVC duct taped to the end for more length. They will get pissed and swarm, so the farther away you can be, the better. Turn the vac on, and slide the end of your hose extension right up to the hole that they are coming and going from. Just leave it on and go do some other chores. As they return to the nest, or try to leave, they can't help trying to redneck the end of the hose that is threatening their nest. They get sucked in.

A couple of shots of Raid into the bottom of the vac makes sure that they die in there.

You will not believe how many of the little bastards you will get out of one little hole.

This actually sounds like fun.  I am going to try this the next time I have a digger wasp nest.

A friend of mine is an exterminator. He uses this method to capture the bees in a trap he made inline with the hose. Captures all the bees then brings them home and freezes them. He has some contacts at different pharmaceutical companies that buy the bees for research purposes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#26]
1. Install TRUMP sign over each ground nest.
2. Install second sign daring people to steal you TRUMP signs.
3. ???
4. Profit (and take pics)
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Shop vac over the entrance with some raid in it.

Took care of a hive under and old stump for me. They've never come back
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Shop vac worked for getting them out from behind siding also.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

YES!  Don't light it.  The running mower over it doesn't work.  Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i just pour the gas in the hole and it takes care of them do it after sun goes down so you get them all

There is no way I will deprive myself of the satisfying WHOOMP of lighting gas that has been poured into a nest.  Just do it from a distance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You must do as I did and wage total war on their sorry winged asses. No mercy or quarter given....

First, let them know what horrors they will face if they continue their armed incursion onto your property

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2fxjfe7y.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2fxjfe7y.jpeg</a>

Then enjoy the spoils of war and relish in your victory over the winged hordes
<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9wvootow.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9wvootow.jpeg</a>

Then with the hate in your heart gone and regret setting in, you decide to give your vanquished foe a warriors funeral...

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsl9tt4xmp.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsl9tt4xmp.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5giwtbdb.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5giwtbdb.jpeg</a>

See you in Valhalla brothers..

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvwnssbot.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvwnssbot.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfpyjhyya.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfpyjhyya.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/donniebrasco223/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsja9pueep.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/donniebrasco223/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsja9pueep.jpeg</a>  
View Quote

Awesome post.

Love the Vlad touch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1. Install TRUMP sign over each ground nest.
2. Install second sign daring people to steal you TRUMP signs.
3. ???
4. Profit (and take pics)
View Quote

If it was in the front yard, I would SO do this.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sevin dust will solve your problem for about $5.

Ignore all the other bullshit posted and use it.  Solved a many year problem (railroad tie retaining wall) for me in a few hours time.  

The sevin dust gets tracked in to the hive and kills everything.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-1109429enh-z7.jpg
View Quote
This right here.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Despite your confidence, you're wrong.  Both will nest either in the ground or on structures.  As far as aggressiveness:

Compared with yellowjackets, European paper wasps are relatively docile. They don’t aggressively attack people, but will sting to defend their nest when provoked.
People are stung when they accidentally contact a hidden nest, such as inadvertently touching a nest with a bare hand while gardening.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Even though he's wrong, Lol.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Daddy used gasoline on yellow jackets, so that is what I use.  Worked then, works now.  I use about half gallon and light it up.
I doubt the fire kills as many as the fumes or fuel itself, but it wipes 'em out every time.
ETA: Attack at dusk.   Right before dark all the bastards are home and it's easier to get your assault underway.  Daylight attacks are always met with heavy resistance.
View Quote

This.  I just pour the gas in and forget about it.  But hey if you like for knock yourself out. And light it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Little bit of diesel and a tarp over the hole, did not light. They were all dead in two day's.

This was after getting stung about 20 times on my ankles/ feet
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#38]
How is this even a question??

FIRE is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have a couple hives in my yard. They're a pain in the ass or where ever they happen to zap you.

I think I may have killed one nest off with (expensive) wasp/hornet killer and Coleman fuel. The boy just found another today.

I figured they'd be hibernating by now, but that ain't happening.

Most all of the "how to get rid of ground bees" sites I've just found are a bunch of fucking Nancy boy, environment friendly, call a professional, bull shit crap.

Does anyone have a cheap, easy, reliable, safe way to deal with these rascals?

I've got some spare black powder I'm thinking about pouring down the hole and sticking a fuse in it for fun.

I've heard that boric acid poured in the hole works. Anyone tried this?

Post your ground bee adventures here.
View Quote

I had bumble bees and I used some Sevin yard spray and it seemed to get them.  i havent seen them since.  

Sevin spray
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Stick your dick in the hole.

If you're man enough it will intimidate them and they'll leave.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#41]
When I was a kid me and my friends searched for these. Gasoline down the hole for much enjoyment. Rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Nuclear weapons.

Trust me, there is NO finer way to solve a pest control problem.

Very few pest control companies have the necessary licenses to employ them however.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sgt AR-15, is that you?

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sgt AR-15, is that you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgt AR-15, is that you?

+ 1
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Little bit of diesel and a tarp over the hole, did not light. They were all dead in two day's.

This was after getting stung about 20 times on my ankles/ feet
View Quote

I would make a bee line to the hospital with that many.

Got hit 3-4 times a couple months ago and my leg swelled 1.5x normal at least and wasn't back to right for a month.

I'm getting pretty sensitive to them so, discretion would be the better part, for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Set a running mower over the hole.
View Quote

. Have you ever pushed a mower over the hole?  Not the best plan. I've doe it by accident 3 times not knowing they were there. I found out real quick

After dark just go out and empty a can of good spray in the hole. It's always worked for me. A little vengeance
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Gas down the hole, do this at night or use a piece of hose during the day to get some distance from the hole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+ 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgt AR-15, is that you?

+ 1

+2

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

. Have you ever pushed a mower over the hole?  Not the best plan. I've doe it by accident 3 times not knowing they were there. I found out real quick

After dark just go out and empty a can of good spray in the hole. It's always worked for me. A little vengeance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Set a running mower over the hole.

I emptied a can of hornet spray down the last hole. Came back the next morning and they were in and out like nothing happened.

So, I had a old gallon of gas and poured that down. Now, our soil is pretty clay laden. That gallon went down that hole as fast as I could pour it. Gives an indication to the size of the nest down there.

I didn't check this hole, this morning. I'll see when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I waited until dark and used gasoline this summer. Not really a huge fire, but it took the hive out. Let the fire run until it was almost out and then hosed it down and put some fill dirt into the hole.
A few leftovers who had partied the night away at bee bars came back in the morning and hung around until late afternoon before getting a designated bee driver to head for somewhere else with a little more queen bee stripper action.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top