Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Tolkien was a WWI vet who I believe fought at the Somme, so I presume they were Huns.
View Quote

Tolkien said they were neither, most people assumed that LOTR was in some sense based on WW2, and Tolkien himself said it was not, that if anything it would more likely be WW1 as that's the war he fought in and had so many friends die in.

But he insisted it was based on neither.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Tolkien said they were neither, most people assumed that LOTR was in some sense based on WW2, and Tolkien himself said it was not, that if anything it would more likely be WW1 as that's the war he fought in and had so many friends die in.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tolkien was a WWI vet who I believe fought at the Somme, so I presume they were Huns.

I can't imagine surviving trench warfare especially the Somme, and that not influencing everything afterwards, especially when writing about battles and enemies. The enemies weren't humans, for the most part, and we know dehumanizing the enemy is one technique to get people to kill each other. Huns, Nips, Dinks, Nazis, Orcs...
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]

I can't imagine surviving trench warfare especially the Somme, and that not influencing everything afterwards, especially when writing about battles and enemies. The enemies weren't humans, for the most part, and we know dehumanizing the enemy is one technique to get people to kill each other. Huns, Nips, Dinks, Nazis, Orcs...
View All Quotes

I forget if it's in the book "Tolkien and the Great War" or not, but he said "we were all orcs" discussing those who were in the trenches.  It was a condition of being, of industrialized warfare.  And LOTR was both not WW1 or WW2 and as a myth, doea still contain elements of both without being a metaphor for them.  IIRC LOTR was supposed to be an English/British Isles mythos as so much of their pagan ancestry had been erased by the Saxons and Normans and every other invasion.  It was to fill a gap left when the druids departed.

Memes.

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15thur:

I always assumed the LOTR ones were Nazis.
Makes more sense they’re trying to make them sympathetic these days

Maybe he ran across Hitler and had a premonition.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Another good ad, but all these are too long

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RSG:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GWQNZAKWcAML3FC?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Reddit has been a liberal shithole for years and actively interferes with elections.
I stopped visiting after they deleted /r/The_Donald because it was too successful.

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, these are great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

They're here!!!!

View Quote
Sounds like a domestic enemy of the Constitution to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Tolkien's self-proclaimed goal was to create a body of myth for the English people, not do a social commentary.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Milton Friedman.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Milton Friedman.

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
This Woman is Why We Have STEREOTYPES ??
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Hitler phones Kamala Harris
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By shocktrp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWSRgPpYKrg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Black People Just Found Out Chase Bank Doesn't Let You Steal Money

The comments
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#27]

In staying with the sport ball analogy-people will riot when their team loses, but go along quietly when they shut down their jobs in lock them in their homes over the flu  
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BB868:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoEqv3wrtY

The comments
View All Quotes

That has to be fake. I mean, I could believe that someone would try this. But, no one could be that dumb and then film it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Prezboi44:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6AKizv-1M
View Quote
I feel sorry for the dude....
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#31]

They're here!!!!

View Quote

Keep this in mind when someone brings up an Article V Convention.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Thuban:

That has to be fake. I mean, I could believe that someone would try this. But, no one could be that dumb and then film it.
View Quote

If you ever have a question that starts with "Would someone be dumb enough..?" the answer is always yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

They film themselves stealing cars and murdering random people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

That first video where the dude drives around hanging out the window with the card in his mouth is a fake---someone on another forum took some screenshots, and he ain't throwing real money around, it's prop money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:

If you ever have a question that starts with "Would someone be dumb enough..?" the answer is always yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Oh man I’m gonna get to meet HR tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Mariner82:
View All Quotes

They're here!!!!

I'm not sure whether it's funny or ironic but Chermynsky is the Dean of Berkeley's Law school and was doing a student dinner recently at his house when he got ambushed by a bunch of pro-Hamas students. There is video of his wife trying to kick the idiots out of their house.

He should have pulled a gun and pistol whipped them out of his house, but that is probably illegal in CA since it basically ignores the Constitution already.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

OMG.  I am SO going to use that
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#49]

I'm not sure whether it's funny or ironic but Chermynsky is the Dean of Berkeley's Law school and was doing a student dinner recently at his house when he got ambushed by a bunch of pro-Hamas students. There is video of his wife trying to kick the idiots out of their house.

He should have pulled a gun and pistol whipped them out of his house, but that is probably illegal in CA since it basically ignores the Constitution already.
View All Quotes

They're here!!!!

Oddly enough, CA has really solid castle doctrine and tends to uphold defense of your own home.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 1441
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top