Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 2:35:19 PM EDT
Hey Hive,
Going to be putting a small plow on my Hustler Zero Turn this winter.

What tire traction/chains should I be looking for to help with traction?

Thanks all,

Lookinup
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Really?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
V-bar type

That's probably going to need all the help it can get.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote

Don't discourage him. I want to see how well this works.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Just seems like more horsepower would do more good than more traction under those conditions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen plows on regular mowers... never seen one on a zeroturn...
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just seems like more horsepower would do more good than more traction under those conditions.
View Quote

Not necessarily. I've seen low HP vehicles do better in slippy conditions. They don't spin tires as easily.

Looks like this has been done before by multiple companies.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
To hell with the plow, just make some blades that are shaped like propeller props and use it like a snowblower.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I was going to say I'd never seen much use for a lawn mover to cut grass in the winter. We planted rye in the winter but never cut it.

A blade for a zero turn? ok...

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with the diamond chain design

Here's a reference if any fit your tire size
http://bestreviews.com/best-snow-chains
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, you're using him as a guinea pig?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking to put a snow blower on my Walker.  I know they sell chains, could be the size you need.

Walker chains.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think you will need chains OP, try it without first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
LoL,

We don't get a lot of deep snow here, usually a few inches up to maybe a foot.

I know I wont be able to push feet of snow with the zero turn, but if will push 6'' without any issues, that is fine for my needs. I can keep after it every few hours if need be.

If I lived in some of your locations, Colorado, etc, yeah I would laugh at me too.

The company I am purchasing from (Country Zero Turn) has a universal mount system designed for zero turns and I will go with a 4' blade. If I can get decent traction with the rear wheels, I don't forsee a problem.

Thanks again!
Lookinup

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Might help if you specified the tire size...
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To hell with the plow, just make some blades that are shaped like propeller props and use it like a snowblower.
View Quote

Holy fuck, i love this place!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
They tell you not to use zero turns on wet grass or 15 degree hills and then they go and make plows for them? 
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Find a lawn tractor with the same tire size as your Hustler, and buy chains that would fit that one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
A coworker has a hustler with a blower on the front.  It sucks...er, blows.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't fucking work.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Might help if you specified the tire size...
View Quote

rear wheel size..................

23x9.50-12

thanks!

Lookinup
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

rear wheel size..................

23x9.50-12

thanks!

Lookinup
View Quote

http://www.tirechain.com/23X9.50X12.htm
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LoL,

I know I wont be able to push feet of snow with the zero turn, but if will push 6'' without any issues, that is fine for my needs. I can keep after it every few hours if need be.

If I lived in some of your locations, Colorado, etc, yeah I would laugh at me too.

The company I am purchasing from (Country Zero Turn) has a universal mount system designed for zero turns and I will go with a 4' blade. If I can get decent traction with the rear wheels, I don't forsee a problem.

Thanks again!
Lookinup
View Quote

The problem you will have is keeping enough weight on the front to push the blade down vs floating over the snow. You will probably need bolt a few 40lb weights on the plow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LoL,

Thanks again!
Lookinup
View Quote

Is there a provision to add wheel or ballast weights to the mower?  Would you maybe have to add liquid to the inside of the tire for weight?  Studded tires?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Cant you just put hot water on the snow to melt it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#25]
A plow kit and tire chains for a zero turn?  What will they think of next?  After today with 6 inches of fresh snow, a broke quad with a plow and a snow blower that's dead, too...  Maybe a plow for the zero turn as a back up?

Off to look at the Husqvarna website...
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cant you just put hot water on the snow to melt it?
View Quote

LOL... oh Florida, bless your heart.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is there a provision to add wheel or ballast weights to the mower?  Would you maybe have to add liquid to the inside of the tire for weight?  Studded tires?
View Quote

I am sure I could throw a few 45# plates on the mower if needed. The person I spoke with who sells the plows said these mowers do really well due to engine/weight placement. I am not sure about adding liquid to the rear tires, never heard of it until I started researching this.

Like I said, I am being realistic, I know I wont be moving tons of snow with this set up, but I am pretty confident I can take care of 6'' or maybe a little more (that's what she said) with the addition of some type of traction devise on the tires.

If this doesn't work, I will sell the plow and buy the wife a nice new shovel.

Thanks again for all the links and suggestions

Lookinup
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am sure I could throw a few 45# plates on the mower if needed. The person I spoke with who sells the plows said these mowers do really well due to engine/weight placement. I am not sure about adding liquid to the rear tires, never heard of it until I started researching this.

Like I said, I am being realistic, I know I wont be moving tons of snow with this set up, but I am pretty confident I can take care of 6'' or maybe a little more (that's what she said) with the addition of some type of traction devise on the tires.

If this doesn't work, I will sell the plow and buy the wife a nice new shovel.

Thanks again for all the links and suggestions

Lookinup
View Quote
Don't know anything about snow nor about using a ZTR for snow plowing, but I do know about filling ZTR rear tires since I did it on mine since I live and mow on hills.

IRC, my ZTR rear tires took about 8 gallons of liquid.  I put 1-2 gallons of RV antifreeze (-50 degree stuff) and the rest water.  That added about 60-65 lbs to each rear tire, making the ZTR more stable plus improved traction.  (RV AF is non-toxic so you don't have to worry about killing your pets if you get a leak)

Where you live, you may need to up the AF/water ratio or just take it to your local tractor dealer and have them fill it Rimguard (beet juice) which is by far the best tire liquid ballast of all.

It's not hard to fill a tire with liquid ballast, get the special tool from Tractor Supply or your local tractor dealer, get the antifreeze and a small pump (hand pump or aquarium or sump pump).  Bunch of youtuber videos, as well as this article:  http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/01/how-to-ballast-your-kubotas-tires/

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Just spray the area with Rubbing Alcohol
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top