Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 11:16:02 AM EDT
UPDATE:  fixed.  Pulled tigger apart and filed a couple thousandths off the trigger stop
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Have had a CW9 for CCW for 2 years - 100% til yesterday. Took it to range yesterday in the cold, but let it sit out for about 2 hours because a friend had new guns to shoot.  

Friends kid went to shoot it and it would not fire. I looked at it and all feels normal except the sear does not trip when the trigger is pulled. Can feel it building tension in the FP spring, but it never trips.  Took it home and found sear would trip if trigger was pulled and slide pulled back slightly (only way to take it apart). Disassembled and checked for frozen grease, etc.  All normal.  Gun warms up and operates normally (near as I can tell away from range).

Put it in the freezer this am, and same problem comes right back.

So the thing is I understand how cold and grease could stop the pin from getting a strong strike. But the sear is not tripping at all when cold. The way a Kahr operates I can only see this as a design or tolerance issue. I will probably hose it with brake cleaner to make sure cold grease isnt a factor. Or detail strip the slide if I can find good instructions.

Kahr guys:  if any of you have seen this and have any suggestions fire away.

If you have a Kahr put it in the freezer for me for an hour and dry fire it a couple times to see if it's only my pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it dry and relube with a much lighter grease?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
One other thing I just tried:  When cold if you pull the trigger then give the top of the slide a good smack the sear trips normally.

Not sure I want to try that test live. Maybe I will with primed brass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I never shot mine in the cold like that, so I don't know if that was a problem.  However, I had a CW9 and it seemed to be built to very tight tolerances.  Which made it felt really well made, but I could also see it being a problem, for instance, in this case.  If it keeps being an issues, contact Kahr.  I had an issue with their magazine release and they sent me a new one.  Seemed to be good customer service.

(Side note, my mag problem was hilarious at the range.  When I would fire the first round the magazine would shoot out the bottom of the gun. It was sporatic.  It would get you killed in a self defense situation.  But I found humor in it at the range. Especially when a friend videotaped it happen and the look on my face as I realized what happened. lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I will attempt to replicate this with mine today. I've been carrying mine for years and have a massive round count through the two I've owned now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean it dry and relube with a much lighter grease?
View Quote

I'm going to, but on the Kahr mechanism sear trip is controlled by direct metal to metal contact which is exposed when the slide comes off. There is no grease on those parts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quit using grease.

Use a lightweight oil instead that works (I like Tri-Flow) and don't put anything on the firing pin assembly or in the firing pin channel.  It should be clean dry parts.  I clean my striker and channel every 1k rounds or so. Also read your owners manual and see what it says about lube but I'd bet my advice above is correct.

Never a problem down to 8 below.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Found some great instructions on utube. Detail stripped slide. No grease found, but a lot of oil.

Note:  lead fishing jig with hook snipped off makes a great extractor spring compressor.

I will refreeze the gun and report back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of depressing when your CCW gun proves unreliable. I've been there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kind of depressing when your CCW gun proves unreliable. I've been there.
View Quote
That was my take away. I feel bad. Hopefully it's just grease+cold. Could be time for an ultrasonic solvent bath and a relube with something light.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:  After a detail strip of slide, cleaning all internals with rag and carb cleaner -  problem came right back.

This is not a grease issue. It is a tolerance issue.

If I pull the trigger REALLY hard the sear will trip when cold. As in 25lbs of pressure hard. The trigger stop seems to prevent the sear from rotating back far enough to trip the sear.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update:  After a detail strip of slide, cleaning all internals with rag and carb cleaner -  problem came right back.

View Quote

I presume you've deadlined the piece?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I pull the trigger REALLY hard the sear will trip when cold. As in 25lbs of pressure hard. The trigger stop seems to prevent the sear from rotating back far enough to trip the sear.
View Quote

Wow.  If true about tolerance stackip then it's either a shitty design or built with shitty parts.  

I'd switch to another CCW pronto.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow.  If true about tolerance stackip then it's either a shitty design or built with shitty parts.  

I'd switch to another CCW pronto.
View Quote

Agreed.  Really curious to hear what Kahr says and does.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
A solid reminder to always have a few proven carry guns in your rotation
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Throwing mine in the freezer now. Will report back this evening.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A solid reminder to always have a few proven carry guns in your rotation
View Quote

And a solid reminder that environmental conditions can have a great effect on reliability of mechanical devices.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
At a bit of a loss here. The sear was not tripping until the trigger was fully to the rear. I've been taking it apart, and fiddling with it, cleaning and inspecting parts. Now the sear is tripping well ahead of the trigger stop. So I think the issue may have been a part out of alignment, but it surely doesn't give me the confindence needed for CCW.  Now I dont even know how to recreate the fault because I dont know what caused the problem to start with.

ETA nope put back in freezer and not tripping sear until trigger is against the stop again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have had a CW9 for CCW for 2 years - 100% til yesterday. Took it to range yesterday in the cold, but let it sit out for about 2 hours because a friend had new guns to shoot.  

Friends kid went to shoot it and it would not fire. I looked at it and all feels normal except the sear does not trip when the trigger is pulled. Can feel it building tension in the FP spring, but it never trips.  Took it home and found sear would trip if trigger was pulled and slide pulled back slightly (only way to take it apart). Disassembled and checked for frozen grease, etc.  All normal.  Gun warms up and operates normally (near as I can tell away from range).

Put it in the freezer this am, and same problem comes right back.

So the thing is I understand how cold and grease could stop the pin from getting a strong strike. But the sear is not tripping at all when cold. The way a Kahr operates I can only see this as a design or tolerance issue. I will probably hose it with brake cleaner to make sure cold grease isnt a factor. Or detail strip the slide if I can find good instructions.

Kahr guys:  if any of you have seen this and have any suggestions fire away.

If you have a Kahr put it in the freezer for me for an hour and dry fire it a couple times to see if it's only my pistol.
View Quote

You and your grease, John!

I'll put the PM45 in the freezer before work, but I won't be able to test it until tomorrow morning.

If you remember the issues I was having with my 220 where it wasn't firing at the farm during the winter, I was using grease back then.  It was all cleaned out, and the trigger/hammer group was still sluggish.

I thought there was NO WAY it was still a lube issue.  Detail stripped the hell out of it and cleaned the living shit out of it.  Lubed it up with Rem Dry Lube and it's been flawless in the deep cold.  There must have been a hint left of the grease on the fire controls is all I can think of.

From then on I've kept all oils and grease away from those parts on my pistols and ARs.  Dry lube and graphite on those parts only for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I just tossed my CW9 in the freezer.  I'll check it out this evening.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
ETA:

I only read your original post and didn't read your replies.  Then I posted.

You're saying everything is dry dry dry after a detail strip and clean.  

Mine is in the freezer until after work.  I don't know if the PM is built like the CM or CW though, so my test may not mean a thing as far as design and tolerances are concerned.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a cam on the right side of the frame in the rail above the access port for trigger internals, mine got some lint in there already and did exactly what you explain here. I couldn't see anything wrong but when i hit that cam with compressed air a bunch of shit came out and the gun worked fine ever since.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Friends don't let friends buy Kahr. Now you know why.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, friends don't let friends use grease on guns in cold weather or take them apart if they can't put it back together.
I have never understood the fascination with grease as a lube over a light oil or motor oil for that matter
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That and other reasons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two P9s I'll try when I get home.

Never had a problem with either except when brand new and it wouldn't go completely into battery. After a couple hundred rounds never had one problem at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Note to remind myself to get FW_wife's Kahr out of the freezer later.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Kahr PM9094A I purchased new in January 2013.

I placed it in the freezer for six hours with a small amount of Mil-Comm TW25B on the rails, cocking cam, and striker.

The gun dry fired fine 20+ times, both cold and as condensation formed.

The CW9 and PM9 share some parts which you can see at the Kahr website:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-Black.asp

These videos may be of use to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DrB8Q5e3xU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3VFRll2L4

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That doesn't make sense. Cold will shrink parts. It wouldn't make the trigger stop expand so that it takes extra force to release the sear. I tried to push the firing pin block out of place on mine to see if it locked, but it didn't.

Neither of these images suggest any obvious solution. Into the freezer it goes!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Mines been in the freezer for over 5 hours.  Still function test properly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, friends don't let friends use grease on guns in cold weather or take them apart if they can't put it back together.
I have never understood the fascination with grease as a lube over a light oil or motor oil for that matter
View Quote

because it doesn't run
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#33]
CW45 6 hours in freezer, worked fine. This was as I carry it, lubed and ready to go.
It will never get this cold as a carry gun or a shtf gun for that matter.
Thinks op now I have to clean it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just tossed my CW9 in the freezer.  I'll check it out this evening.
View Quote

Just pulled it out after nearly 6 hours and it's working just fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I put my P9 in the deep freeze for about an hour and a half. Took it out, racked the slide and it fired just fine. It was starting to ice over due to the humidity and got my thumb stuck to the slide (I throught about licking it, but decided not to). I dry fired it several times and seems ok to me. Trigger break was just like normal, no excessive  pressure needed.
ETA. I didn't lube it or anything beforehand. It hasn't been cleaned or lubed in probably a year. I know. I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
CW45 6 hours in freezer, worked fine. This was as I carry it, lubed and ready to go.
It will never get this cold as a carry gun or a shtf gun for that matter.
Thinks op now I have to clean it.
View Quote

Same, CW9 in freezer for six hours.

Frosty as fuck, goes click.

Clean the lint and froglube out OP
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I leave my CM9 in the car at work during the winter so I was curious about if this would be a problem. I have 700+ rounds through it without any malfunctions.

I put it in the freezer for several hours and it functioned normal. I just use a bit of basic gun oil as lube. I'll probably go ahead and clean it later as it's got a good amount of moisture forming after getting it out of the freezer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#38]
In this thread, OP tricks a bunch of us into cleaning our carry guns by making us stick our guns in the freezer creating frost and eventual condensation.

Well done OP, well done.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#39]
UPDATE:  Appears fixed.  

Cleaning did not help. As stated I dont believe it was a lube issue.

Disassembled the trigger and filed a couple thousandths off the trigger stop. It now trips the sear after I put it in the freezer for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In this thread, OP tricks a bunch of us into cleaning our carry guns by making us stick our guns in the freezer creating frost and eventual condensation.

Well done OP, well done.  
View Quote

I think you're on to something. The ultimate troll thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think you're on to something. The ultimate troll thread.
View Quote

Not a troll thread. My gun spent several hours in the freezer today screwing with this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Just removed FW_wife's Kahr from the freezer, no issues.  Thanks for bumping the thread, OP, or I would've left it in there until I was looking for the whiskey.  And then wondered WTF was her pistol doing in there?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well done OP, well done.  
View Quote

[B) true. I did field strip it and dried it out with a heat gun on low. Then trickled some CLP in it.

Sti need to get the pin to spin. It was rusted tight. Still functions,  but.......

Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#44]
No effect.

ETA - I hit it with a blow dryer. Now it looks fabulous. I should get some Axe for it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I sold my CM9, but it always seemed like it took an extra long pull for the gun to fire. It's one of the reasons I go rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Threw mine in the freezer this morning and then forgot about it until the wife just asked why the heck there was a gun in her freezer.

Pulled it out and it dry fired just fine several times.  Didn't notice anything different with the trigger pull.

Probably has 500+ rounds through it and just cleaned normal, taken apart, cleaned and a little lube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top