Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2017 5:56:46 PM EDT
Now that Trump has won. Is there a sense that someone within his cabinet will right this wrong?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ITAR will not go away, some items may be addressed and modified but ITAR regulations are so intertwined with other programs and policies that I can't see any way for it to be completely revoked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ITAR will not go away, some items may be addressed and modified but ITAR regulations are so intertwined with other programs and policies that I can't see any way for it to be completely revoked.
View Quote

So all the executive branch rule-making that was done during the Obama administration to make it more expensive and apply to more people (like a machinist who threads a barrel)... none of that can be undone by the Trump administration?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So all the executive branch rule-making that was done during the Obama administration to make it more expensive and apply to more people (like a machinist who threads a barrel)... none of that can be undone by the Trump administration?
View Quote

there's so much wrong that affects so many people that ITAR is a low priority.
maybe during Trump's second term?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
ITAR rules exist within the department of commerce to prevent ordinance and weapons from being sold to bad guys over seas.

That part of it will not go away, but there may be a possibility to exempt gunsmiths from it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Trump has a pen and phone and almost never sleeps.
I have a feeling he will be burning the midnight oil.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

We might not able to get rid of ITAR, but we should be able to roll back things like the recent ITAR registration requirement for gunsmiths.  I'm sure there are many other areas of ITAR overreach, but that's the recent one that I remember.

Just in Time for His Party’s Convention, Obama Administration Releases Latest Executive Gun Control
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a brief fact sheet on why/where ITAR is right now- http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/ExportControlReform.pdf

It sounds like it just takes a stroke of a pen to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We might not able to get rid of ITAR, but we should be able to roll back things like the recent ITAR registration requirement for gunsmiths.  I'm sure there are many other areas of ITAR overreach, but that's the recent one that I remember.

Just in Time for His Party’s Convention, Obama Administration Releases Latest Executive Gun Control
View Quote

The other big one was that you cannot put your own gun design or drawings on the internet without first receiving State department approval.  Or it's an ITAR violation.    

Also known as the State Department taking a giant dump on the First Amendment.   You don't own your ideas... the government does.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
ITAR isn't going anywhere.  Why would it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ITAR isn't going anywhere.  Why would it?
View Quote

Because it's a giant bureaucratic drag on American business.  And in the case of the gun business, intentionally so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I don't give a flying eff about import/export. What I DO care about is being able to build your own weapon for personal use (as is our right under the constitution, and, ironically, BTF regs) being infringed upon. Which it is my understanding this June 2016 E.O. does.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because it's a giant bureaucratic drag on American business.  And in the case of the gun business, intentionally so.
View Quote

It will be strongly defended as a national security issue, and secondarily as an intellectual capital protection.  Read the ITAR.  While some who have never read it will think that its about keeping toys out of the hands of collectors - such parts of it are comparatively tiny.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Now that Trump has won. Is there a sense that someone within his cabinet will right this wrong?
View Quote

So, you OK with technology like missile guidance systems designed in the US be sent to the Iranians and North Koreans? No ITAR and there will be many tech companies willing to send technology to our enemies for the right price. Maybe you can send them the heavy water they need for their nuclear weapons program.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So, you OK with technology like missile guidance systems designed in the US be sent to the Iranians and North Koreans? No ITAR and there will be many tech companies willing to send technology to our enemies for the right price. Maybe you can send them the heavy water they need for their nuclear weapons program.
View Quote

Requiring a machinist to pay a $1250 annual fee to the State department for the privelege of threading rifle barrels keeps Iran from getting deuterium or missile guidance systems... how exactly?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a brief fact sheet on why/where ITAR is right now- http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/ExportControlReform.pdf

View Quote

ITAR is a federal law that requires congress to revoke it the same way they would revoke any other law. No stroke of a pen nonsense. You want to get rid of ITAR, then tell your congressman to start a bill to revoke it. But, don't whine later if it is revoked and American companies start sending computer tech, missile guidance systems, to China, N. Korea, Iran, and many other countries that ITAR restricts from receiving US technology that will be used to kill American military personnel. Maybe you can also convince Obama to issue pardons for the Iranian Americans (convicted of ITAR violations) that sent weapons technology to Iran that ended up being used in weapons used by insurgents to kill US soldiers in Afghanistan and previously in Iraq. Yeah, good idea.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that you think ITAR and other US Government statutes/regulations actually prevent technology transfers to our enemies is quite cute.

Just where do you think North Korea acquired the technology and materials for that nuclear weapons program?   
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Requiring a machinist to pay a $1250 annual fee to the State department for the privelege of threading rifle barrels keeps Iran from getting deuterium or missile guidance systems... how exactly?
View Quote

so get rid of the whole ITAR instead of fixing the fucked up gunsmith portion?  

gonna libertarian us into a conflict with us having to fight the same shit we have. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

so get rid of the whole ITAR instead of fixing the fucked up gunsmith portion?  

gonna libertarian us into a conflict with us having to fight the same shit we have. 
View Quote

I'll quote myself so you'll read it again (or maybe the first time)

"So all the executive branch rule-making that was done during the Obama administration to make it more expensive and apply to more people (like a machinist who threads a barrel)... none of that can be undone by the Trump administration?"  - Me, earlier.

There's tons of ITAR bullshit that has been done with no law change, whatsoever, to punish the gun industry.   These have been done entirely by executive branch agency rule-making.   They have diddly shit to do with keeping missile tech out of Iran's hands.

So yeah, in short, fixed the fucked up gunsmith portion.  Kinda like I said.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could care less about what a US machinist does in the US. That sounds like overreach by State Dept. that a new Secretary of State needs to address and change. I'm referring to the idiots that want to revoke ITAR, which is the law that prohibits companies from sending weapons tech to our enemies like the Iranians and N. Koreans, and Chinese. There are many alien F1 students from Iran and other countries that are recruited by many US universities to come to the US and study at their university regarding research in weapons and other technology. ITAR prohibits these students from taking back US tech to their hostile countries. Some of our agents were sent to interview some of the students regarding sensitive technology they were working on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The fact that you think ITAR and other US Government statutes/regulations actually prevent technology transfers to our enemies is quite cute.

Just where do you think North Korea acquired the technology and materials for that nuclear weapons program?   
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may not prevent weapons tech from being smuggled out, but, is one of our defenses and without ITAR there would be no attempts at all to prevent that smuggling. From your attitude it would seem you think it's OK for people to smuggle tech out to Iran for production of IEDs to be used in Afghanistan against US forces.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-iranian-engineer-sentenced-to-8-years-for-sending-iran-documents/
"An Iranian-American engineer was sentenced Friday to more than eight years in prison for trying to send sensitive U.S. military documents to Iran as he tried to get teaching jobs at state-run universities there." Without ITAR this guy would not be in prison. Yeah, that's "quite cute" as you stated.

Another "quite cute" ITAR violation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/world/middleeast/us-says-parts-smuggled-to-iran-used-in-ieds.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll quote myself so you'll read it again (or maybe the first time)

"So all the executive branch rule-making that was done during the Obama administration to make it more expensive and apply to more people (like a machinist who threads a barrel)... none of that can be undone by the Trump administration?"  - Me, earlier.

There's tons of ITAR bullshit that has been done with no law change, whatsoever, to punish the gun industry.   These have been done entirely by executive branch agency rule-making.   They have diddly shit to do with keeping missile tech out of Iran's hands.

So yeah, in short, fixed the fucked up gunsmith portion.  Kinda like I said.
View Quote

I'm tracking now. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It may not prevent weapons tech from being smuggled out, but, is one of our defenses and without ITAR there would be no attempts at all to prevent that smuggling. From your attitude it would seem you think it's OK for people to smuggle tech out to Iran for production of IEDs to be used in Afghanistan against US forces.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-iranian-engineer-sentenced-to-8-years-for-sending-iran-documents/
"An Iranian-American engineer was sentenced Friday to more than eight years in prison for trying to send sensitive U.S. military documents to Iran as he tried to get teaching jobs at state-run universities there." Without ITAR this guy would not be in prison. Yeah, that's "quite cute" as you stated.

Another "quite cute" ITAR violation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/world/middleeast/us-says-parts-smuggled-to-iran-used-in-ieds.html
View Quote

I am not talking about technology that is smuggled out of our country but rather technology that our own government authorizes for export.

I mentioned North Korea and their nuclear weapons program for a reason and that reason appears to have sailed right over your head.   
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's hope they up the limit, $100 is far to low for even the one gun owner. We get screwed on pricing here in SA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm tracking now. 
View Quote

Sorry.  I'm switching to decaf.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's hope they up the limit, $100 is far to low for even the one gun owner. We get screwed on pricing here in SA.
View Quote

I've been surprised more people don't complain about that since the limit for purchases from Canada is $500.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#26]
IN this thread we learn how many people really do not understand the premis of ITAR and or the reasoning for the US Munitions List. While I would agree it is in need of a major revamping and re evaluation of the definition of the items included. It does serve an important, Specfic, roll in National Defence. Not nearly as important in small arms as it once was but it has some merritt in the context of armed conflict directed toward the US by others. Yes..agree. Should have minor impact on domestic based firearms and ammunition commerce other than don't ship outside US or offer technical data to forigen nations without license. Which is the way it has always been.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IN this thread we learn how many people really do not understand the premis of ITAR and or the reasoning for the US Munitions List. While I would agree it is in need of a major revamping and re evaluation of the definition of the items included. It does serve an important, Specfic, roll in National Defence. Not nearly as important in small arms as it once was but it has some merritt in the context of armed conflict directed toward the US by others. Yes..agree. Should have minor impact on domestic based firearms and ammunition commerce other than don't ship outside US or offer technical data to forigen nations without license. Which is the way it has always been.
View Quote
Thus far I have seen proponents of ITAR or arms regulations in general quote Wikipedia and the New York Times.

I have yet to see a single reference to 22 U.S. Code § 2778 22 CFR Part 12022 CFR Part 121, etc...

Why is that?   
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]
HR 6176 was the last update I got from my Rep. It died in Congress last session.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thus far I have seen proponents of ITAR or arms regulations in general quote Wikipedia and the New York Times.

I have yet to see a single reference to 22 U.S. Code § 2778 22 CFR Part 12022 CFR Part 121, etc...

Why is that?   
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?   

Like.....
§ 120.6 Defense article.
Defense article means any item or technical data designated in § 121.1 of this subchapter. The policy described in § 120.3 is applicable to designations of additional items. This term includes technical data recorded or stored in any physical form, models, mockups or other items that reveal technical data directly relating to items designated in § 121.1 of this subchapter. It also includes forgings, castings, and other unfinished products, such as extrusions and machined bodies, that have reached a stage in manufacturing where they are clearly identifiable by mechanical properties, material composition, geometry, or function as defense articles. It does not include basic marketing information on function or purpose or general system descriptions.

Kinda like an 80% lower??? Or a barrel for an AK kit???
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then ITAR should specifically apply ONLY to strategic weapons systems in terms of distribution.

NV/IR, Thermal, missiles, guidance systems, things of that nature I can somewhat understand regulating the distribution of, seeing as our military relies on that technology to maintain an edge over other countries, but that isn't who is being getting fucked over by ITAR.

But small arms designs? Fuck, the only reason that shit has come up is due to 3D printed guns, and the politicians fearing that people will be able to create new designs, and individuals will suddenly have the ability to arm themselves very quickly, at little cost, without the government's knowledge or approval.

ITAR has been weaponized to harm small businesses, gunsmiths, hobbyists and inventors. It is ONLY supposed to be pertinent to people who participate in imports/exports. And yet, every single LGS is paying 2 grand a year to the gov't when they don't import or export anything, let alone the extreme examples you listed. It's extortion at the hands of gov't thugs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#31]
ITAR means that I can't buy a surefire from US stores.

Meanwhile your government sends a ton of shit to China, or shares it with Israel who then sells it to China.

Fuck ITAR.  Your government is giving away its secrets willingly anyway and people trying to sell information to other countries is illegal even without ITAR, because espionage and shit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you obviously have not read the "guidance letter" .
It's $2250.00 annually.
And if one interprets that letter to its most basic meaning the act of putting file to metal constitutes "Manufacturing" .
Fit a safety to a 1911, your a "Manufacturer".
A part time Smithing business such as myself I cannot absorb that cost. Between my tax liabilities and ITAR extortion fees it means I would basically work for free for 3-4 months just to cover the overhead.
That ain't happening so I have just suspended operations.

ITAR isn't going anywhere. It is a necessary evil to keep US defense related technology restricted to friendly nations.
What we saw with this "guidance letter" is firearms restriction by administrative means. It is the act of a petulant administration to inflict as much damage to the firearms industry as it can.
It is also a very clear overreach of the Department of State's authority. ITAR is mechanism of the Department of State and the DoS exists to control our interests OUTSIDE of the borders of our nation.
They have no authority to dictate domestic policy.
This "guidance letter" and it's restrictions would not hold up in a court of law.
Likely we will see a change to this guidance letter, Smithing operations may get rolled over to a different entity than ITAR (the name of the other entity escapes me right now), we may see a restructuring of the fee or this "guidance letter" may get rescinded.

One curious thing I discussed with an ATF IOI- ATF regulates commerce in firearms. They define when a license is mandated and what class of license is required. They also very clearly define what they consider "Manufacturing" .
How is it an entirely separate governmental entity able to arbitrarily redefine "Manufacturing" when a different entity regulates that industry?
Again, likely would not pass court muster.

It will change, just how much, how it changes and when it changes is the question.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ITAR is a federal law that requires congress to revoke it the same way they would revoke any other law. No stroke of a pen nonsense. You want to get rid of ITAR, then tell your congressman to start a bill to revoke it. But, don't whine later if it is revoked and American companies start sending computer tech, missile guidance systems, to China, N. Korea, Iran, and many other countries that ITAR restricts from receiving US technology that will be used to kill American military personnel. Maybe you can also convince Obama to issue pardons for the Iranian Americans (convicted of ITAR violations) that sent weapons technology to Iran that ended up being used in weapons used by insurgents to kill US soldiers in Afghanistan and previously in Iraq. Yeah, good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe we can get Bill Clinton prosecuted for insuring the Chinese got missle guidance tech for those large bags of cash.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I think that a great part of ITAR regulations are useless. Many US manufacturers lost a lot of sales of items that could have been sold directly to foreign customers. Items like handguards, trigger groups and firearms components that cannot be dangerous without a firearm to put them on should be sold freely. I make you a simple example. I can buy from Brownell's Italy a BCM assembled upper receiver without any license with 200 Usd and I cannot buy it from BCM directly spending 120 Usd. ITAR made only importers richer. That way, US manufactured firearms components became luxury goods and less people can afford them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think that a great part of ITAR regulations are useless. Many US manufacturers lost a lot of sales of items that could have been sold directly to foreign customers. Items like handguards, trigger groups and firearms components that cannot be dangerous without a firearm to put them on should be sold freely. I make you a simple example. I can buy from Brownell's Italy a BCM assembled upper receiver without any license with 200 Usd and I cannot buy it from BCM directly spending 120 Usd. ITAR made only importers richer. That way, US manufactured firearms components became luxury goods and less people can afford them.
View Quote

Agreed, many of the regulations in ITAR make no sense. Another example, I have a friend that owns a cannery in Venezuela that contracted with a brewery to produce cans for their beer. He came up with a design for a truck body that would increase the payload by a significant margin hence lowering transport costs. To make this design he needed a special frame riveting tool, I found him one here in the US but I couldn't ship it to him due to ITAR restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed, many of the regulations in ITAR make no sense. Another example, I have a friend that owns a cannery in Venezuela that contracted with a brewery to produce cans for their beer. He came up with a design for a truck body that would increase the payload by a significant margin hence lowering transport costs. To make this design he needed a special frame riveting tool, I found him one here in the US but I couldn't ship it to him due to ITAR restrictions.
View Quote

Yes, that's a good example that well explains how ITAR must be deeply revised. I'm pretty sure that international sales of many US companies would increase. Trump seems to be very interested in keeping US working on its soil so should make an effort to change ITAR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And you obviously have not read the "guidance letter" .
It's $2250.00 annually.
And if one interprets that letter to its most basic meaning the act of putting file to metal constitutes "Manufacturing" .
Fit a safety to a 1911, your a "Manufacturer".
A part time Smithing business such as myself I cannot absorb that cost. Between my tax liabilities and ITAR extortion fees it means I would basically work for free for 3-4 months just to cover the overhead.
That ain't happening so I have just suspended operations.

ITAR isn't going anywhere. It is a necessary evil to keep US defense related technology restricted to friendly nations.
What we saw with this "guidance letter" is firearms restriction by administrative means. It is the act of a petulant administration to inflict as much damage to the firearms industry as it can.
It is also a very clear overreach of the Department of State's authority. ITAR is mechanism of the Department of State and the DoS exists to control our interests OUTSIDE of the borders of our nation.
They have no authority to dictate domestic policy.
This "guidance letter" and it's restrictions would not hold up in a court of law.
Likely we will see a change to this guidance letter, Smithing operations may get rolled over to a different entity than ITAR (the name of the other entity escapes me right now), we may see a restructuring of the fee or this "guidance letter" may get rescinded.

One curious thing I discussed with an ATF IOI- ATF regulates commerce in firearms. They define when a license is mandated and what class of license is required. They also very clearly define what they consider "Manufacturing" .
How is it an entirely separate governmental entity able to arbitrarily redefine "Manufacturing" when a different entity regulates that industry?
Again, likely would not pass court muster.

It will change, just how much, how it changes and when it changes is the question.
View Quote

2250 is the ITAR registration fee for manufacturers with sales over a given amount.  1250 is the base fee.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I could care less about what a US machinist does in the US. That sounds like overreach by State Dept. that a new Secretary of State needs to address and change. I'm referring to the idiots that want to revoke ITAR, which is the law that prohibits companies from sending weapons tech to our enemies like the Iranians and N. Koreans, and Chinese. There are many alien F1 students from Iran and other countries that are recruited by many US universities to come to the US and study at their university regarding research in weapons and other technology. ITAR prohibits these students from taking back US tech to their hostile countries. Some of our agents were sent to interview some of the students regarding sensitive technology they were working on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the risk of liberty when applied to the sales of arms.  Imagine that.  I can see limiting transfer of sensitive or proprietary government technologies and such, but that's a rather limited thing.  Generally, commerce in arms should be a relatively free affair.  ITAR certainly goes way above and beyond anything even remotely reasonable.  I would rather see it repealed than see the status quo persist, or see only minor favourable tweaks made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top