Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/4/2017 12:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBowles]
I got my Form1 this week and printed this out of ABS filament on my Gen1 MakerBot Replicator, it's basically just 8 stacked cones,this design allowed me to print it as one solid piece of plastic.I turned and knurled a barbed thread insert that I heated and pressed/melted in, using a 16" barrel kept an eye looking down the bore checking alignment as I spun the barrel and my tweaks to the still pliable base of the silencer as it cooled, I marked the front cap by heating letter punches with a torch and basically branded the plastic to a nice depth. Used a combination of acetone smoothing and sanding to achieve the final finish. The total material cost is about $3, a $1.50 worth of plastic and the rest is in the hunk of brass for the threaded insert.

Mounted on my Ruger Mk4 22/45 Lite

The base of the threaded insert

At the range this morning shooting some PMC Moderator 40gr sub-sonic .22LR
Mk1 3D Printed ABS Silencer Test

Rendering of the 3D print process

Section view in Solidworks

Transparent view in Solidworks showing the threaded insert
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A solid .22 suppressor...... cleaning must not be an option
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The coolest shit I've seen on the internet today award goes to you.  Sweet
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UV18:
View Quote

I think the gist is, due to material costs, it's essentially disposable. I could be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, let us know how it holds up

I've had often though that a softer material that could absorb sound would work well for these... or at least take the edge off the crack
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Willmar:

I think the gist is, due to material costs, it's essentially disposable. I could be wrong, though.
View Quote

It is completely disposable, which is an awesome idea. I like it. I would also be curious of the heating and cooling of the plastic would cause the lead and residue to flake off and just shake out the  holes.

If only there wasn't a 1 year wait and $200 to go along with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaBeamz] [#9]
View Quote

The fucking thing only cost him $3, 22 cans should be disposable anyway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It got quieter the last few rounds.....melting plastic makes good wipes?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Bond ...James Bond.....

Very nice!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome work! Very quiet. I'm impressed. just think how many of those you could build for the cost of a metal one that is purchased.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
You should have used your inner voice for that instead of your outer voice
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow. Those last 2 shots were really quiet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

$200 stamp disposable.

But who's going to know if it is reprinted with the same serial?

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
OMG!
I've been told that's impossible!
You need 87 machinists with doctorates in metalurgy, fluid mechanics, and a bazillion dollars in CNC machines to make an silencer.
Damn good job.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Very cool!  Is that Busiek OP?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Not too knowledgeable about 3D. Can a used item be recycled; i.e. can you recover the brass insert as well as recover and remold the plastic for reuse? How about making it in various colors for the airsoft crowd? I imagine that unregulated silencers could be marketed to them as authentic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude, that's awesome.

HPA needs to pass so that's a viable method. Keep us updated on how it holds up (fills up).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#22]
That.Is.Bad.Ass!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
That's pretty awesome.

Is it proprietary?   Would you mind sending me a copy of the model?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

For three bucks I'd just throw it away
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By beardog296:
Very cool!  Is that Busiek OP?
View Quote
It is.

The plan was originally just to make a normal 22 can but I got lazy and decided to print it.

I think it will hold up fine as long as I''m not going full auto dumps with it. 

This was more of an exercise to see if I could do it in a very simple way(I had printed silencers before when I worked for a 02/07 SOT/FFL but they where more complicated) and as good illustration of how stupid the law is regarding silencers.

If I shoot it enough that it doesn't work well anymore it will just end up on my shelf full on other interesting and odd gun stuff making a good conversion piece.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool, but I, for one, would not want to form 1 and pay 200 for a disposable item.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wreckhog:
Not too knowledgeable about 3D. Can a used item be recycled; i.e. can you recover the brass insert as well as recover and remold the plastic for reuse? How about making it in various colors for the airsoft crowd? I imagine that unregulated silencers could be marketed to them as authentic.
View Quote
The brass can certainly be recovered a torch and some acetone will make quick work of the plastic, you could recover the plastic but it's not worth the effort or equipment to do anything useful with it.

I though about engraving the adapter as "silencer" but the reasons behind doing that really go against the spirit of the law and I wanted to be as much on the up and up as possible with this, so I engraved the most "silencer part" of the pieces, the baffle stack/tube combo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#28]
We have a Makerbot at work, sure would be nice if the HPA went through so I could try something like this
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JBowles:
The brass can certainly be recovered a torch and some acetone will make quick work of the plastic, you could recover the plastic but it's not worth the effort or equipment to do anything useful with it.

I though about engraving the adapter as "silencer" but the reasons behind doing that really go against the spirit of the law and I wanted to be as much on the up and up as possible with this, so I engraved the most "silencer part" of the pieces, the baffle stack/tube combo.
View Quote

Get you one of those coil extruders.   You can recycle old milk jugs and 70s luggage to make your own ABS filament.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#30]
That is awesome!!

I look forward to seeing ol chuck schumer or deleon cry about this in a press conference (it will pass thru metaldetectorsOMG)
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Busik, huh?
Send me an IM next time you go shooting, I always wanted to be that creepy arfcom guy.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MonkeyFist:
OMG!
You need 87 machinists with doctorates in metalurgy, fluid mechanics, and a bazillion dollars in CNC machines to make an silencer.
Damn good job.
View Quote

What you did there, I see it. I can't hear it but I see it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
The hardest part of cleaning a suppressor is that it is made of metal which corrodes the same as the metal you are cleaning. Simply dipping the suppressor in butches bore shine and soaking it (without getting the brass into the solution should be a viable option.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice work OP
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthpawAR] [#35]
Originally Posted By wreckhog:
View Quote

No. The plastic used looks like the line you put in a weedeater. Technically it probably could be salvaged, but it wouldn't be feasible for DIY.
I'd imagine OP can reuse the brass if that plastic dissolves in acetone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#36]
OP I'm amazed.
I'm just wondering what would happen on a 5.56
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SouthpawAR:
OP I'm amazed.
I'm just wondering what would happen on a 5.56
View Quote

Well.. you'd just want a 3D metal sinter printer
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SouthpawAR:

No. The plastic used looks like the line you put in a weedeater. Technically it probably could be salvaged, but it wouldn't be feasible for DIY.
I'd imagine OP can reuse the brass if that plastic dissolves in acetone.
View Quote

It is feasible.  People have built these little crusher things (they look like commercial engine block crushers) that pulverizes the plastic then remelts the plastic and extrudes it through a nozzle and ever so slowly winds it around a new spool.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

For three bucks I'd just throw it away
View Quote
You'd also be throwing away $200 and a 10 month wait. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MonkeyFist:
OMG!
Damn good job.
View Quote

Mufflers are incredibly complex devices and the market totally isn't disturbed by an artificial and unfair barrier to entry due to licensing requirements for manufacturers as well as difficulty for buyers to obtain the product.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#41]
There is no way for me to appropriately respond to this and communicate my excitement without appreciative profanity, so I will just say Good Job.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Very cool!
Would plastic resin qualify as extra suppressor parts? [BD
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Willmar:

View Quote

And if the HPA passes it could be quite popular. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome. Should make the news.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#45]
now i need to know the model 3d printer i need to buy. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#46]
That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time! 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Badass

Just imagine if the HPA was passed.... No form 1 needed? Merry Xmas friends and fam. (Of course they have to push the "print" button right?)
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I like it.   Any crossection prints of the internals? What price get did you use?  The interlayer bond appears really good since it did not delaminate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Cool, but I, for one, would not want to form 1 and pay 200 for a disposable item.
View Quote
And we shouldn't have to.

Time to crank out some more letters to POS congress people urging the HPA.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice! I have been seriously thinking about picking up a 3d printer. I never even thought about suppressors.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top