Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 11:06:19 AM EDT
Fortress Alamo fell in the early morning today 181 years ago with no survivors (not counting women, children and slaves).

*REMEMBER THE ALAMO TRIBUTE 09!*
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2004 Alamo movie is worth watching.  

Filmed in Texas and directed by a Texan.
Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thorton and
the entire cast did a fine job.

Remember the Alamo!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember the butthurt on here before that movie was released.  It was a pretty good movie and I enjoyed it.

A few years ago we had our Texas flag stolen off the front porch on this date.  Still sorta pisses me off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember the butthurt on here before that movie was released.  It was a pretty good movie and I enjoyed it.

A few years ago we had our Texas flag stolen off the front porch on this date.  Still sorta pisses me off.
View Quote

Some of the extras were actual descendants of those who fought and died in the Alamo. They allowed them all to be interviewed on set and they were all very proud to represent those brave men. They did pretty good considering the low budget that they were working with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
God bless Texas. Remember the Alamo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 2004 Alamo movie is worth watching.  

Filmed in Texas and directed by a Texan.
Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thorton and
the entire cast did a fine job.

Remember the Alamo!
View Quote

It was a damned good film.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO.

And piss on Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Headed to the Alamo now.  I try to go this time each year to kneel and say a prayer of thanks to those brave men who faced a certain death to give us liberty and freedom.

Never forget.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Always thought this was over blown. Like the north south thing.

Then I visited the Alamo. Sacred ground.

Remember the Alamo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The what?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Remember the Alamo.
View Quote

My wife is a Californian, and she was the same way. Used to laugh at my reverence for the Alamo and the way I get when I talk about it.

Then I took her to the Alamo. Now she gets it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
“Remember the Alamo!  Remember Goliad!”

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
First movie I ever went to alone. "Davy Crockett At The Alamo" Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen.
12 years later I got stationed at Ft. Sam that was the very first place I went to...what a profound experience that was.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Profound to be there. Much respect and honor in those walls.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My wife is a Californian, and she was the same way. Used to laugh at my reverence for the Alamo and the way I get when I talk about it.

Then I took her to the Alamo. Now she gets it.
View Quote

I am that way about the Alamo myself.  I was going into the Alamo a few years back and a punk from the south of the border kept putting his hat back on after being repeatedly told to take it off.

I was very glad he finally got the message because I was fixing on spending a night in jail over it.

That place has an effect on me and I go there every time I am in SA
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Remember the Alamo.
View Quote

The defenders ashes were rescued from the site of the funeral pyre that was ordered by Santa Ana and they are held in sarcophagus in an alcove of San Fernando Cathedral. http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/adp/history/1836/the_compound/ashes.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My ex wife never really understood my reverance for that site until I took her there for the first time. Once she took it all in, she was overwhelmed about what happened there and started crying. Even though I now live in Oklahoma, I was born and raised in Texas, and Texas will always be my home.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember the Alamo!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
REMEMBER

THE

ALAMO
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember the Alamo! Texians!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#21]
My triple Great Grandfather was one of the volunteers from Gonzeles to fight and die in the Alamo. G.W. Cottle 1811 – March 6, 1836

My Mother was a member of Daughters of the Republic of Texas and we have artifacts on display in the Alamo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Headed to the Alamo now.  I try to go this time each year to kneel and say a prayer of thanks to those brave men who faced a certain death to give us liberty and freedom.

Never forget.
View Quote

I wholeheartely approve. I'll try to make by that hallowed mission this evening to pay my respects to my valient forebearers.

Remember the Alamo!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Remember the Alamo for sure....but also remember Gonzalez where they echoed the words spoken 2500 years earlier by the defiant Spartans at the Hot Gates...

COME AND TAKE IT.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been to the Alamo twice as two of my sons did their Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB.  As a history buff I was keen to go there, but when you first see the place it is not much to look at.  The city surrounds and almost overwhelms it.  It isn't until you do the mental exercise of stripping away the city and seeing it as a lonely outpost that you begin to feel the enormity of what happened there.  Beautifully landscaped and very respectful of the sacrifices made there.  If I was in the area, I would go again to pay my respects.  There are places in this country where giants once walked on the land.  The Alamo is one of those places.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember those great Texicans.......
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was a damned good film.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO.

And piss on Mexico.
View Quote
I'm not a fan of the fact that they showed Crockett die as a POW, however defiant ol' Billy Bob was in that scene.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top