Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The asbestos is bound up VERY well in those shingles.

In some places they are not even controlled in the waste steam beyond double bagging.

The meso-bar would have you believe a single fiber is all it takes.
And they have made a fortune from the trust funds convincing a jury of that.

But courts of law are often really bad at science and medicine.

A rated dust mask and reasonable care should deal with the rest ioh teh job.

Asphalt shingles are NOT friable.

The test is can you crumble it with your bare hands.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh. Don't worry about it, OP.  Cancer is just nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh. Don't worry about it, OP.  Cancer is just nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down.
View Quote
Death is a function of entropy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How old are you? You will know in 10 - 20 years how bad they are when your lungs start filling with fluid from the scar tissue build-up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How old are you? You will know in 10 - 20 years how bad they are when your lungs start filling with fluid from the scar tissue build-up.

35. I already have lung and sinus trouble from what I thought was allergies, but now looking into this I helped my dad redo a roof back in the early 90s when I was probably 12. Probably had asbestos in them too?

Quoted:
I'm really fucking hoping this is a troll post

No. I'll take pics, not just to for you but to analyze how bad the fibers might be

Quoted:
Remember all those old timers who died of asbestosis and mesothelioma?

They would probably recommend PPE of Tyvek suit, taped-down gloves and boot covers, and respirator...

Sad part is I have a nice mask, a 3M half face with changeable filters (have p100 in them now). Also have the yellow suit like they wore in Breaking Bad because I've done a lot of bondo and painting.

Gotta admit I'm having trouble with this. Just got done the remaining amount and I got choked up. FML didn't need this
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

35. I already have lung and sinus trouble from what I thought was allergies, but now looking into this I helped my dad redo a roof back in the early 90s when I was probably 12. Probably had asbestos in them too?

No. I'll take pics, not just to for you but to analyze how bad the fibers might be

Sad part is I have a nice mask, a 3M half face with changeable filters (have p100 in them now). Also have the yellow suit like they wore in Breaking Bad because I've done a lot of bondo and painting.

Gotta admit I'm having trouble with this. Just got done the remaining amount and I got choked up. FML didn't need this
View Quote

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about...
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wear an approved respirator when doing them, they are like $30 or under at he depot. Cheap insurance.
View Quote

Sure, if 90% is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For all you experts, not one of my family that had mesothelioma and died from it worked in asbestos factories and were non smokers. It affects some people differently. 
View Quote

The one guy I knew who died of meso never worked in any hazardous industry.  He was a teacher.  His parents were teachers (often dad'll bring it home on his clothes and kill the family that way).  He wasn't even 40.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you sure it wasn't fiberglass? how old was the roof...
View Quote

My dad is having his old house torn down due to taxes, and the fire dept is going to do a training / burndown. But they came and looked at it and said they can't do anything until the roof is gone because its asbestos. I guess they could be wrong, but it was quite an undertaking to remove all those shingles and I doubt he would do it unless he was certain
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Not really anything to worry about with siding shingles. I believe most of it
is classified as amosite, unlike the crocidilite or crysotile where it's like a
talcum powder dust. You don't have to dispose the shingles in the same
way as you do with boiler or furnace asbestos. Tales 20 to 40 years to kill
you anyways.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My dad is having his old house torn down due to taxes, and the fire dept is going to do a training / burndown. But they came and looked at it and said they can't do anything until the roof is gone because its asbestos. I guess they could be wrong, but it was quite an undertaking to remove all those shingles and I doubt he would do it unless he was certain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you sure it wasn't fiberglass? how old was the roof...

Materials of a certain age and type are guilty until proven innocent.  PACM's, presumed asbestos containing materials.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's to hoping the risk isn't as prevalent as the TV lawyers would have me believe... Lots of exposure to ripping off old roofs, ripping up old tiles, and working in a shit hole old building that had tons of exposed pipes in bad shape.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not really anything to worry about with siding shingles. I believe most of it
is classified as amosite, unlike the crocidilite or crysotile where it's like a
talcum powder dust. You don't have to dispose the shingles in the same
way as you do with boiler or furnace asbestos. Tales 20 to 40 years to kill
you anyways.
View Quote

Are you sure? I just looked up on wiki and it says about 95% of US asbestos is '"chrysotile."

Maybe it won't be so bad as I thought "By  contrast,  in  humans chrysotile (cleared in months) might have less effect than   the   amphibole   fibres   (cleared   in   years)" The Quantitative Risks of Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer in Relation to Asbestos Exposure

I just took a shower, tossed all the clothes that I was wearing in the dumpster and did a neti pot with xylitol and got some of the gunk out. Is there anything else I can do? Someone mentioned flush my lungs with water, was that serious? I'm willing to do waterboarding type crap on myself if it'll actually help.

Going to try and get some pics of the singles after I eat. Maybe someone knows what type of asbestos they have (or if its really asbestos).

Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Someone mentioned flush my lungs with water, was that serious? I'm willing to do waterboarding type crap on myself if it'll actually help.

Thank you everyone
View Quote

Yeah, if he was serious about that, then he got his medical degree out of a 1950's era box of Cracker Jacks.   Flushing your lungs out with water is called "drowning".  But hey - if you do try it, make sure you get good video...
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing you can do about it now, can you?

When I demo'ed our house that was built in the 40's I typically had on a respirator. Some times I didn't have one on.

Asbestos abatement is serious bidness.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Been a few years since I was involved in paying for removal of asbestos shingles but in FL the roofers carefully removed them by hand, 1 at the time, and then they took them back to the shop and charged a ton of money per tile to repair other asbestos roofs with the salvaged tile since they were no longer available new mean while charging the original customer for removal also (usually extra cause their asbestos).  IIRC roof tiles were not friable (or maybe not very friable), and did not require any special abatement process at the time.  Asbestos siding and flooring were treated differently and of course the steam pipe insulation etc. is a whole different world.

It was a very good roof material UV exposure/wear wise but would break easily and was slippery as all get out when wet and/or covered in algae.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you sure? I just looked up on wiki and it says about 95% of US asbestos is '"chrysotile."

Maybe it won't be so bad as I thought "By  contrast,  in  humans chrysotile (cleared in months) might have less effect than   the   amphibole   fibres   (cleared   in   years)" The Quantitative Risks of Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer in Relation to Asbestos Exposure

I just took a shower, tossed all the clothes that I was wearing in the dumpster and did a neti pot with xylitol and got some of the gunk out. Is there anything else I can do? Someone mentioned flush my lungs with water, was that serious? I'm willing to do waterboarding type crap on myself if it'll actually help.

Going to try and get some pics of the singles after I eat. Maybe someone knows what type of asbestos they have (or if its really asbestos).

Thank you everyone
View Quote

Damn, it was a joke. If you fill your lungs up with water you will drown. Would it have been more obvious if I said use bleach or a steam cleaner?

Whatever has been done (probably nothing) has already happened. There's no way to clean out your lungs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Just a pile of broken shingles now

Here's one up close

2nd

Anyone know if these are asbestos? It was roofed in the 60s or 70s I think
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
A newly released report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) proclaims an increase in mortality and morbidity of patients diagnosed with mesothelioma.

Since this type of cancer is mostly due to asbestos exposure and there has been wide spread educational programs in place for decades telling people to avoid working unprotected in asbestos containing areas (i.e., tearing down older buildings), it was believed that the deaths due to mesothelioma would have peaked and we would now be in a decline.

That does not appear to be the case.

The authors noted in their discussion that “The annual number of malignant mesothelioma deaths is increasing, particularly among persons aged =85 years, most likely representing exposure many years ago. However, although malignant mesothelioma deaths decreased in persons aged 35–64 years, the continuing occurrence of mesothelioma deaths among persons aged <55 years suggests ongoing occupational and environmental exposures to asbestos fibers and other causative EMPs, despite regulatory actions by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency aimed at limiting asbestos exposure.”

In a press release, the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation noted they are not surprised by the increase as they have long believed asbestos exposure continues to be prevalent in our environment despite regulations, due to decades of heavy use in the construction of homes, schools, and government buildings.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6608a3.htm?s_cid=mm6608a3_w
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Damn, it was a joke. If you fill your lungs up with water you will drown. Would it have been more obvious if I said use bleach or a steam cleaner?

Whatever has been done (probably nothing) has already happened. There's no way to clean out your lungs.
View Quote

I do neti pot all the time so it didn't seem implausible. Also you're wrong about drowning, I've sucked in an entire breath several times while swimming and I'm still here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I pulled mine off my house no problem
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Those appear to be asphalt composition shingles.  Asbestos shingles most are referring to are typically thin and rigid, almost like cement board in texture but thinner, also typically nailed down with a staple or hooked nail like device as compared to normal roofing nails.  I guess some older comp shingles could also have asbestos in them but those pictured don't scream asbestos to me.  (I'm NOT a Dr./Lawyer/GC/Engineer or even a roofer so YMMV)
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those appear to be asphalt composition shingles.  Asbestos shingles most are referring to are typically thin and rigid, almost like cement board in texture but thinner, also typically nailed down with a staple or hooked nail like device as compared to normal roofing nails.  I guess some older comp shingles could also have asbestos in them but those pictured don't scream asbestos to me.  (I'm NOT a Dr./Lawyer/GC/Engineer or even a roofer so YMMV)
View Quote

Thank you sir, best news I've heard in a long time. I almost don't want to go any further for fear of finding out they are asbestos. Bit I've got a USB microscope camera I use for soldering analysis, and curiosity is too much not to investigate. I'll try and get some closeups of the shingles.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Iowa A construction and demolition debris recycler in Iowa has sampled loads of shingles since 1999. The shingles are sampled by taking random grab samples from a load and having a laboratory analyze for asbestos using polarized light microscopy (PLM). Out of a total of 1791 samples tested, none was found to have detectable levels of asbestos.

Maine An asphalt shingle recycler in Maine (see case study) tested 118 samples. Representative composite samples were collected on a per-incoming-load basis and analyzed using PLM. None of the samples was found to contain asbestos.

Massachusetts
An asphalt shingle recycler in Massachusetts tested incoming asphalt shingles on a per-load basis. A total of 2,288 composite, representative samples were taken from the incoming product. Samples were analyzed using PLM. Twelve samples contained asbestos, but 11 contained less than 1% [NESHAP defines ACM as any material containing more than 1% asbestos]. The twelfth sample had 2% asbesto.  These results, as defined by NESHAP, show only 1 in 2, 288 samples had sufficient asbestos to categorize it as ACM. Samples were also collected from the tarpaper and the outgoing finished product and analyzed using PLM. Out of 69 tarpaper samples, two contained over 5% asbestos and two contained less than 1% asbestos.  Out of 109 finished, outgoing product samples, two contained less than 1% asbestos. (see "Asbestos analysis of Post-Consumer Asphalt Shingle Waste")

Missouri
Testing results were provided by the Missouri Division of Environmental Quality. During an asbestos survey, six shingle samples were collected and analyzed with PLM. No asbestos was detected.

Florida
Shingle testing was completed as a part of the "Roof to Roads" project. Two hundred and eighty-seven samples were taken of incoming shingles: 2 tested above 1% for asbestos. Seventeen samples were also taken during the shingle grinding process. None of the samples had asbestos over 1%.
View Quote

shingle recycling
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree, those appear to be normal asphalt shingles. The fiberglass in them typically does bother your throat a bit. But asbestos shingles almost look like pieces of really thin tile. I think you are good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you cut galvanized sheet metal with a torch on your days off as well?

or juggle chainsaws?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As long as you don't smoke you should be ok with a one time exposure.  Even if you do smoke I doubt one time would be too bad.  Asbestos is really bad to breathe in, but it's hardly a death sentence if you do inhale some fibers.
View Quote

This.  I've heard non smokers have way less chance of getting asbestosis.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#27]
You can't see airborne asbestos fibers. It's what you can't see that you should be concerned about.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#28]
You fucked up OP. You should've hired people who do Asbestos abatement for a living. Asbestos is one area you should never fuck around with.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
How bad are they?  Are you really asking this?  Lemme tell you they taste like shit unless you put a shit ton of hot sauce on them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just helped my dad tear half his roof off, they're old asbestos singles. I'm covered head to toe in the dust and debris that came off when we were ripping it all apart, blowing it out my nose etc. He said its ok, asbestos is contained in the tar. But I'm reading that might not be true if its disturbed as much as we were. Did I breathe any in? How bad could it be?
View Quote

Just LOL at this entire post.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#31]
You are fine

It looks like you lucked out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are fine

It looks like you lucked out.
View Quote

Yeah they don't look anything like those shingles on google images

side

bottom

more bottom

Anyone know what that is made of? Sorry for the watermark, cheapo banggood usb magifier came with demo software
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you smoke?
Asbestos related illness goes up something like 800% more likely for smokers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
If you do any kind of shit like that without eye pro or a respirator I'm sure Darwin will claim you long before the cancer does.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not sure about your state but in PA. You probably broke about a dozen laws.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you smoke?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do you smoke?

No but I have sinus problems

Quoted:
If you do any kind of shit like that without eye pro or a respirator I'm sure Darwin will claim you long before the cancer does.

I'm usually pretty good about that stuff.

Quoted:
I'm not sure about your state but in PA. You probably broke about a dozen laws.

Doubt it, my dad went to the waste transfer station and got instructions on what to do with it. He's about the most stringent rule follower I've ever seen. An old man that does 40 in a 40 etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I tore off many asbestos roofs over a decade ago, and i'm still alive.  Oh no, asbestos, lead paint, black mold, radon, the horror!  It should be about time for the next scary thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm no shingle expert, but I've also seen a lot of asbestos shingles growing up in New Orleans. The ones you have appear to be just plain old asphalt kind. 

Take a small sample of one and put it in a ziplock. Call around and ask if there are any asbestos testing places that could analyze it if you really want a solid piece of mind. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I tore off many asbestos roofs over a decade ago, and i'm still alive.  Oh no, asbestos, lead paint, black mold, radon, the horror!  It should be about time for the next scary thing.
View Quote
If you weren't downwind from the dust, you probably never inhaled any of it or enough to matter. 

Take it from someone who just saw several of his family members slowly choke to death from it, it's definitely a very real thing.  No need to be a dick about it. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/9Flt5nS.jpg

Just a pile of broken shingles now

http://i.imgur.com/1sqOloZ.jpg

Here's one up close

http://i.imgur.com/aacu4hn.jpg

2nd

http://i.imgur.com/CsCSSWV.jpg

Anyone know if these are asbestos? It was roofed in the 60s or 70s I think
View Quote

There's no way to know exactly whether those contain asbestos or not without sending it to a lab. The 60's and 70's were still common years for asbestos materials. They do look like asphalt composition shingles though, so that's a step towards positive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you weren't downwind from the dust, you probably never inhaled any of it or enough to matter. 

Take it from someone who just saw several of his family members slowly choke to death from it, it's definitely a very real thing.  No need to be a dick about it. 
View Quote

Didnt mean to downplay it quite like that.  Just meant that being around it a few times isnt going to do anything to you.  Seems everything is overly hyped these days.  Then you get the late night lawyer commercials.  Curious, how, and for how long, were your family members exposed?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm no shingle expert, but I've also seen a lot of asbestos shingles growing up in New Orleans. The ones you have appear to be just plain old asphalt kind.

Take a small sample of one and put it in a ziplock. Call around and ask if there are any asbestos testing places that could analyze it if you really want a solid piece of mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good idea, I think I will do that.

Quoted:

I definitely inhaled quite a bit, blowing out my nose it was all gunked up. I'm not a roof guy and a 10/12 roof is fairly steep for me so I was up close to the shingles so as to not fall off.

Quoted:

There's no way to know exactly whether those contain asbestos or not without sending it to a lab. The 60's and 70's were still common years for asbestos materials. They do look like asphalt composition shingles though, so that's a step towards positive.

Going to do some google searching for a lab right now

Thanks everyone so much for your help! Praying this stuff isn't asbestos, my dad got it worse than I. He did the other half and helped me with the half I did. He's one of those guys who grinds metal without eyeware, I doubt he'd use a mask even if he knew all the risks. Tough it out kind of guy
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm sorry OP, when was the last time you counted your Chromosomes? Are you sure you have the correct amount?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure he has an extra or three.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Those are asphalt shingles not asbestos. The little crumbly rocks on top of the tar are for fire proofing. The black inside is the asphalt tar. It gets dried up and crumbly after 20 years or so.

Asbestos shingles have a much smoother surface and usually have a lichen/mossy sun bleached look. They have a uniform light fiber compisition and are not black inside.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah they don't look anything like those shingles on google images

http://i.imgur.com/xINkydA.png

side

http://i.imgur.com/TSVcdWD.png

bottom

http://i.imgur.com/hr4moZx.png

more bottom

http://i.imgur.com/LRhD4rW.png

Anyone know what that is made of? Sorry for the watermark, cheapo banggood usb magifier came with demo software
View Quote

Tar and fiberglass, with little rocks stuck on top.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Asbestos
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Asbestos

I'm a contractor. I will not touch asbestos.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Did anyone call dibs yet ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The little crumbly rocks on top of the tar are for fire proofing.
View Quote
I thought that their primary purpose was sun protection.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top