Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2017 10:50:19 PM EDT
Can I use full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) for small engine break-in?
I purchased a new Champion inverter generator and will go through the break-in process tomorrow but I just noticed I only have full synthetic oil at home.  The weight of the oil is appropriate but I thought only dino oil should be used for break-in but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't.

Run it on Dino oil for 4 or 5 hours to let the rings seat in, then go syn and don't look back.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Just go buy some conventional oil.

Mix in some of this too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If your goal is to NOT break it in -- sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mix in some of this too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/7660006-lco-10063-pri-larg-197674.JPG
View Quote
Isn't the Lucas stuff snake oil?  A la Marvel mystery oil?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your goal is to NOT break it in -- sure.
View Quote
Why?
What about synthetic/dino blend oil?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Marvel is great stuff. It's used a lot in the oil/gas field.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The break in argument is so old it's hard to follow. This oil, that oil, run it easy, run it hard. Dry cylinder in two strokes, wet cylinder for two strokes... This will go around and around.

I'm in the run the piss out of it with cheap oil unless you are breaking in a fresh flat tappet cam. Then do the cam break in BS with zinc additive. Then change the oil then run the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
make sure you fire one round, swab till clean, and repeat times 87
View Quote
Yep,

You have to count the revolutions on the engine.  It has to be stopped between 15,567 and 15,754 in order to complete the first heat cycle.

Then in has to be started again at the 5:32 mark after shutdown.  If you don't start it with one pull, then you may as well give up and sell it because the cam will turn to shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried reading the manual for the manufacturer's suggestions?   They would probably know the most about it.
View Quote
I did...twice, and there is nothing about break-in process.
The generator has a label on top that says to use 10W-30 oil but the manual says 10W-30 or 5W-30 Synthetic oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
According to Mobil, breaking in with synthetic is ok- Mobil FAQs

"Is it true that new engines require a break in period with conventional oil?

That is a myth. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils. "
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Synthetic oil isn't some super duper friction reducing oil.  If it was engines would last ten times longer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Chinese air cooled engine I would run a cheap 10/30 for 1 hour then dump. Add cheap 10/30 for a 5 hr run then dump.
Then I would use my M1 10/30. It is not a break in but a clean out. No use in using good oil just to dump it early. The advantage of using an oil like M1 10/30 over conventional is it does not burn off as quick in a hot running air cool engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Both of my Honda engines (GC190, 160) have had nothing but synthetic. Bought both around 2010. They're still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I used mobil1 syn 10w30 in lawnmower and 4cycle weed trimmer.  No issues.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Synthetic oil isn't some super duper friction reducing oil.  If it was engines would last ten times longer.
View Quote
Add same moly to it, you're welcome
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mix in some of this too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/7660006-lco-10063-pri-larg-197674.JPG
Lucas makes 87 different products. Mostly I posted it as an example of a readily available engine break in additive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is a myth. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils. "
View Quote
That may be true of automotive engines, however I'm not sure the same could be said for inexpensive power equipment engines.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chinese air cooled engine I would run a cheap 10/30 for 1 hour then dump. Add cheap 10/30 for a 5 hr run then dump.
Then I would use my M1 10/30. It is not a break in but a clean out. No use in using good oil just to dump it early. The advantage of using an oil like M1 10/30 over conventional is it does not burn off as quick in a hot running air cool engine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

I'd love for someone to explain to me the how the base oil differences between synthetic and synthetic blend oils matters in terms of friction in a small motor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

I'd love for someone to explain to me the how the base oil differences between synthetic and synthetic blend oils matters in terms of friction in a small motor.
View Quote
Friction, not sure.  Wax buildup?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mobil 1 is a group III base oil. Technically to some standards not even a full synthetic.

Any API licensed motor oil out there, that is a not a "full synthetic" will be made of a minimum of a group II / group II+ base oil probably with group III product blended into it. 10w30 is the exception to this because typically it doesn't have to meet a 5w cold crank point.

The difference between a modern hydrotreated group II+ base oil and a group III base oil, in terms of break in... Non existent.

Break in oil is a thing of the past for small engines and majority of automotive engines.  Sure if you're hand building a race engine or such and slapping on assembly grease... Then going to run straight nitro 70 oil in it? That's another story completely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Just make sure you change the oil after about 5 hours of operation.

Many still use dino oil the first time but some small engines are ok with synthetic during initial break in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think may apply to car engines not small engines
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Will someone people describe what Dino oil is...

Group I acid refined base stocks are actually someone the hardest to get. And are exclusively used for industrial products.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wouldn't.

Run it on Dino oil for 4 or 5 hours to let the rings seat in, then go syn and don't look back.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mobil 1 is a group III base oil. Technically to some standards not even a full synthetic.

Any API licensed motor oil out there, that is a not a "full synthetic" will be made of a minimum of a group II / group II+ base oil probably with group III product blended into it. 10w30 is the exception to this because typically it doesn't have to meet a 5w cold crank point.

The difference between a modern hydrotreated group II+ base oil and a group III base oil, in terms of break in... Non existent.

Break in oil is a thing of the past for small engines and majority of automotive engines.  Sure if you're hand building a race engine or such and slapping on assembly grease... Then going to run straight nitro 70 oil in it? That's another story completely.
View Quote
Yes.  Any off the shelf SM "dino" oil has Group II/III base oil rendering this argument moot.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]
In my experience, I find that first oil change tends to reveal a lot of crap (metal) that I am really happy to get OUT of the engine.  No matter what the engine maker says regarding oil change interval, I'm really aggressive about running an engine for a bit, then changing out the oil.  Example, there is a new motorcycle sitting on the driveway.  Its now got a mere 60 miles on it.  That first pool change will take place at 500 miles......

I'm a cheap SOB....  I don't like flushing extra cash down the tubes....  So it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to put a high dollar oil into an engine, and then change it out really quickly.  You are not getting any of the advantages of a synthetic oil.  So, fill it with a basic, no frills dino oil and run it.  After break in, change it out and refill with whatever decent oil you want to after that....

The first oil in that engine is going to act as a carrier for removal of all kinds of nasty crap.  It'll never get "used up".  So don't bother with high dollar oil for the first go around.....  Break it in, then change it out....

Fro
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your source it's a group base III?    I haven't seen anything to confirm what group  Mobil 1 is and Mobi,l as far as I know, won't confirm the group base.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What is your source it's a group base III?    I haven't seen anything to confirm what group  Mobil 1 is and Mobi,l as far as I know, won't confirm the group base.
View Quote
The 1999 lawsuit vs Castrol they lost.

Plus look at a spec sheet.

Edit

My comment refers to normal pcmo grades. 5w30/5w20/10w30.

Odd weights like 0w40 and 5w50 have to be made out of a PAO due to the vis range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Keep in mind that this is a Chinese made small engine...not precision German made auto engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wouldn't.

View Quote
This is how I do it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Proper ring seat has a lot more to do with tpur cylinder than your oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wouldn't.

View Quote
This is how my motorcycle shop friend does it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#38]
What does the owners manual say?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What does the owners manual say?
View Quote
Nothing
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well according to Total Seal (ring manufacturer) ......

• Quickseat® is the recommended cylinder wall lubricant for
ring installation. Piston skirts should be lightly lubricated
with AL-4 or engine oil. Remember excessive or improper
lubricating of the rings may prevent them from sealing.
• During engine break-in, use petroleum based motor
oils only. Synthetic oils may be used after break-in cycle is
complete.

Now in modern automotive applications with modern tolerances and metal finishes, M1 may  be true and proper but with cheap Chinese machine work, personally I'd opt for the ring maker's procedure.

ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top