Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 4:39:42 PM EDT
Could I  use a smoke chamber and run cooling tubes through the pipe in order to cool the smoke further?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just purchase Weber smokey mountain thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just purchase Weber smokey mountain thread
View Quote
No, rather build my own
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like the ability to cold smoke soft cheeses. That and I enjoy making stuff out metal
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
For cold smoking no need for water cooled anything. Put the heat source further away and use stove pipe to run to your cold smoker box
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd like the ability to cold smoke soft cheeses. That and I enjoy making stuff out metal
View Quote
Then get your fire box away from the cooking chamber.  That's the easiest way to do it.  Seems like cooling tubes would be a lot of effort for what may be very minimal return in heat reduction.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a rigged-up Weber cold smoke setup but the concept is what's useful.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is a rigged-up Weber cold smoke setup but the concept is what's useful.

http://i.imgur.com/XUOq9tM.jpg
View Quote
I have an 18" and a 22" weber. That looks like to much damn work haha. I do cold smoke on my 22 weber as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Then get your fire box away from the cooking chamber.  That's the easiest way to do it.  Seems like cooling tubes would be a lot of effort for what may be very minimal return in heat reduction.
View Quote
That's kind of what I would do, I'll be building a 4ft by ~36" diameter bbq and a remote smoke box. The smoking box will have about 12-18" of tube between the two. I was planning on making this connector tube put of 4"x4" square tube that I could drill and weld in some 1" tubing like you see on a boiler. I'd also leave the first 6" open allowing ice to be loaded on top and trickle down when I turn on the hose
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could I  use a smoke chamber and run cooling tubes through the pipe in order to cool the smoke further?
View Quote
It's a complex system that includes a turbo-charger.
Here you go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's kind of what I would do, I'll be building a 4ft by ~36" diameter bbq and a remote smoke box. The smoking box will have about 12-18" of tube between the two. I was planning on making this connector tube put of 4"x4" square tube that I could drill and weld in some 1" tubing like you see on a boiler. I'd also leave the first 6" open allowing ice to be loaded on top and trickle down when I turn on the hose
View Quote
It's gonna be a trade off.  If you're gonna do a lot of cold smoking I could see it being worth it but it could also make regular smoking a bit more difficult.

That's just me; I don't like fighting the smoker.  I want that part to be easy and consistent.  I'd rather tinker with the food and rubs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a complex system that includes a turbo-charger.
Here you go.
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx193/place_desjardins/smoker_zpspix8p5ws.jpg
View Quote
My day job is a diesel mechanic, I'm sure I could find a spare turbo somewhere  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My day job is a diesel mechanic, I'm sure I could find a spare turbo somewhere  
View Quote
LOL. I forgot to draw in the intercooler.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Cold smoking isn't really ice cold.  Just smoking below 100f.  Usually in the 80-90f range, right? 
So depending upon ambient temps when smoking just a pipe with some distance between the smoke fire and the food.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get an amazing smoker tube or tray
Then you can spend your time building a space ship or something
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL. I forgot to draw in the intercooler.
View Quote
I was thinking of a de-finned radiator or intercooler...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cold smoking isn't really ice cold.  Just smoking below 100f.  Usually in the 80-90f range, right? 
So depending upon ambient temps when smoking just a pipe with some distance between the smoke fire and the food.
View Quote
With fish you want it to be COLD.  Sausage that has added nitrate? Then hotter is ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top