Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2017 11:07:41 AM EDT
Here's my Walmart Score.  A 200cc minibike for $99!

Been thinking about getting a small four wheeler (think Honda Fourtrax) to use for deer and coyote hunting.  Basically just need something to get me around the properties I hunt.  I don't have to cross creeks or get into any mud.  Mostly semi flat dry ground, gravel roads and some wooded areas. I can't find a decent 2wd 4 wheeler for under $1,500.

I checked one of my daily deals websites, spoofee.com and they had a 3hp Coleman for $299.  I did some searching and turns out Walmart had the larger 196cc 6.5hp version on clearance back in January.  I found the last one of the 196cc's in the KC area.  Originally $499, marked down to $299, then to $124. Called the manager and had him hold it for me and drove out to pick it up.  Turned out it was a floor model and also at one point had some gas run through it.  He then marked it down to $99 when I told him I thought it would be new in box.  It's rated for up to a 200lb rider while many reviews have stated you can put 300lbs on it with no issue.  I'm right at 200lb and according to my gps it'll move me about 26mph on flat ground.  More than fast enough to take me to my hunting spots.  It'll also fit on a metal hitch mount cargo carrier I have so no trailer needed.  First thing to do will be get rid of the RED paint and throw some OD green on it like the one pictured below.  Plenty of vids on how to mod these.  Modded ones can run about 50mph.  The Harbor Freight 212cc 6.5hp engine is a direct swap too and they run about $119.

For $99, this thing is impossible to beat.

Here's what I'd like to do.  Paint OD and paint the underside of the fenders black.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorta want but I'm 6'5" and am pretty sure I won't fit on that thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck of a score!  I love the threads on ADV where folks are taking those and the bigger Baja brand on trips.  I'm guessing you've seen where folks recommend installing a brace on the handlebars.  I've also seen a couple of websites that sell parts for modding them as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, I've been looking for a deal like that for a year.  

I'd probably want to black it out or something too, but fear of driving it off into the woods and losing it might slow that roll a little.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
We used to have a manco big cat. The lack of suspension would rattle your teeth out anywhere you rode it. That thing looks similar
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd look at it as more or less of an assembled kit that needs lots of gusseting and rewelding.

But they are fun...if you think 50mph on that thing is fun, though, make sure you run a GoPro 100% of the time to record your injuries.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Heck yeah!

I'd modify the hell out of that. Lengthen the frame and forks for bigger wheels. Change the sprocket ratios for more low end power transmission. Trailer hitch and skeleton frame trailer. Lights.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
$99?  Call the cops because you stole that thing!!!  

Seriously, these minis actually are really nice.  Their weak point, as you'll find out, is their anemic little 97cc motor.  But as you've also already found out, any 5 HP B&S flat head or 6.5 HP Honda GX160/Chinese clone/HF Predator OHV engine will drop right in with almost no work whatsoever.  You will need a 3/4" centrifugal clutch to replace the stock 5/8" on the little motor.

On search engines, these minis are known as a Doodle Bug and also a DB30.  For lots of info on parts, mods, etc., check out OldMiniBikes.com - they're the ARFcom of minibikes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I need one of those for nights I go off drinking down at the neighbors house
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
My thoughts exactly.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously, these minis actually are really nice.  Their weak point, as you'll find out, is their anemic little 97cc motor.  But as you've also already found out, any 5 HP B&S flat head or 6.5 HP Honda GX160/Chinese clone/HF Predator OHV engine will drop right in with almost no work whatsoever.  You will need a 3/4" centrifugal clutch to replace the stock 5/8" on the little motor.

On search engines, these minis are known as a Doodle Bug and also a DB30.  For lots of info on parts, mods, etc., check out OldMiniBikes.com - they're the ARFcom of minibikes.
View Quote
The one I got for $99 has the 196cc Honda clone already in it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice deal
Surprise you can mod them that much
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Any idea if I'll be getting harassed by the cops if I ride this in my subdivision?  A few people have golf carts and don't seem to get in any trouble.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a mini-bike as a kid.

There's no fucking way I would go back to riding one of those things.

I'll take something that does wheelies and brodies and doughnuts over that POS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any idea if I'll be getting harassed by the cops if I ride this in my subdivision?  A few people have golf carts and don't seem to get in any trouble.
View Quote
HOA?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
HOA?

What was Walmart thinking? 200# limit eliminates 90% of their clientele. No wonder they're on clearance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a mini-bike as a kid.

There's no fucking way I would go back to riding one of those things.

I'll take something that does wheelies and brodies and doughnuts over that POS.
View Quote
I had 2 sport bikes and ended up selling or trading them as my interest in riding stopped.  All I really need is something to get me a mile or two in the woods to hunt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I think my spine started to fuse just looking at the picture.

My friends kid had one of those things. Fun enough, but a pretty bumpy ride.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a great deal! I bought the same one for my boys at Christmas. I bet they've already put 40 hours on it. It's held up great so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Dump the Predator in it and have a blast
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd pay 100 bucks for that in a second!

Great job!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Riding that in the woods without suspension may present challenges.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorta want but I'm 6'4" and am pretty sure I won't fit on that thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You would look like a bear fucking a basketball.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I would have been all over that for a hundo!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Needs more Dave Miller input...and Elsinore power.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]
So no suspension whatsoever? No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, I've got a Harley air ride police seat up for sale on ebay for $49, seat, shock, tank and mounts.  

You're going to need something like that before that thing wrecks you. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#29]
OP 

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought the exact same one on black friday and I LOVE it.  My girlfriend made fun of me the whole time (for only going out to get a mini bike) but after riding it, she won't get off the damn thing.  For anyone worried about the weight limit...it has more than enough power to yank my buddy around who is over 6'  and 250 lbs. It is surprisingly large for a minibike and the seat is very comfortable IMO. I had to clean the carb on mine as it wouldn't run correctly and was full of varnish for some reason. Also the nut on the steering stem has a tendency to loosen up and rattle while you ride. Other than that its great..fires up in one pull and hardly uses any gas. With a chinese knock off torque converter it will be even more fun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought a third-hand 49cc scooter for that.  when it started breaking I just turned it into a pit bike and bombed around in the desert

so fucking fun
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't know how many times I about killed myself on our "Trail Ram" when I was a kid.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Needs more Dave Miller input...and Elsinore power.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Uploads/Public/Images/..................AUG/qqDMC.jpg
View Quote
Now THAT is an awesome mini bike!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Went and bought the Krylon OD paint.  Is there a best way to prep this? Maybe run a wire wheel over it or sand paper?  Do I need to primer it.  Looks like it might actually be easier to disassemble it vs tape everything off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Went and bought the Krylon OD paint.  Is there a best way to prep this? Maybe run a wire wheel over it or sand paper?  Do I need to primer it.  Looks like it might actually be easier to disassemble it vs tape everything off.
View Quote
This stuff?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm 6'3".  I bought a Chinese MM-b80 or something like that. Put a HF engine in it and off we go.  It's entertaining.  Now my kid rides it.  

If it had better throttle control or a different clutch setup I could ride a wheelie, but as it is with the 212 it will go over on you without thinking too much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I went to buy a used one once, I came home with 6.

He used them for advertising and I got them all for $600.

I hide them at my moms house and would only bring one at a time home for conversion so the wife thought there was only one out there.

With the 6.5 hp, these will pull any size adult easily.  Mine are pushing 9 hp each and run right at 40 mph.

If you are going in the woods, do yourself a favor and get the x track rear tire with heavy mud grip.

Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#38]
We have one, it has the 6.5 Honda clone. They are fun little bikes but if you are planning on pulling any trailer be prepared to replace the clutch fairly often..
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I went to buy a used one once, I came home with 6.

He used them for advertising and I got them all for $600.

I hide them at my moms house and would only bring one at a time home for conversion so the wife thought there was only one out there.

With the 6.5 hp, these will pull any size adult easily.  Mine are pushing 9 hp each and run right at 40 mph.

If you are going in the woods, do yourself a favor and get the x track rear tire with heavy mud grip.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/bmosely/B639F56D-666A-4D15-9C17-7358ADB4FF60_zpsjrtk36ov.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  How'd you get the 6.5hp up to 9.  That's a huge increase in power.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd be all over that for that price.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think my spine started to fuse just looking at the picture.

My friends kid had one of those things. Fun enough, but a pretty bumpy ride.
View Quote
No kidding! A little washboard on a dirt road and my crowns would fall out.

I had a Cyclops mini bike when I was a kid, it had telescoping tubes on the front for suspension. As soon as I figured out how to pop a wheelie the tubes along with the front wheel fell off, I did a major face plant and pierced my lower lip with a tree root loosening my front bottom teeth. Maybe no suspension is better than that poor design.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I decided to search ARFCOM on this topic on a whim.  I started looking at these last week for me.....I mean the 13 year old! 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#43]
That looks like something I'd really enjoy hurting myself with
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Dirt Everyday just did an episode with Coleman mini bikes.  You can see it on YouTube.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dirt Everyday just did an episode with Coleman mini bikes.  You can see it on YouTube.
View Quote
 Pulled it up, watching it now. They are having WAY too much fun. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pulled it up, watching it now. They are having WAY too much fun. 
View Quote
Watched it yesterday. Hilarious!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Tag

Been thinking about getting one of those to chase the dogs around the hunting camp.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought my kid one a couple years ago.  He rides all around the neighborhood.  Loves it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:46:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I had something similar as a kid. Good times. For $99, I'd be all over one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Have you watched this video on these yet?

Video
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top