Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 12:55:55 AM EDT
Looking to ad an ice/water kiosk vending on the main highway of of a town.  First stop before the traffic breaks.  By for the best location in town.  

I've been told anything from$18k -$150k.  I already own the land with tons of businesses around heading out into the oil field.  And several RV sites near by.  

Anyone got any experience with these?

Do they franchise, charge for supplies and maintenance?  

Utilities are already in place including 3phase.  I'm a GC with many friends in the trades who owe me favors. And I've got all the heavy equipment to pad and dig the lines.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
No clue on the franchising or anything yet got several of those around here. My Stepdad knows a guy that owns some and says after setup cost it is pure money. Just like storage facilities once everything is paid for which happens pretty quick nothing but profit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No clue on the franchising or anything yet got several of those around here. My Stepdad knows a guy that owns some and says after setup cost it is pure money. Just like storage facilities once everything is paid for which happens pretty quick nothing but profit.
View Quote
Awesome!  Thank you!   All the sights talk about their biggest money makers, nut they tend to cherry pick.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The Iceborn locations around Toledo are all for sale. I don't understand how it would make any sense to go into the business, as ice is available at so many locations 24/7. At work, we tell each other when we see someone buying ice at one of the three that we pass by on the way/from work. I pass one next door to several large apartment complexes 10 times a week, and since it went into operation, I've seen 3 people getting ice. It's been a year, and I've seen 3. Within a half mile of there, there are at least 2 24 hour carry outs and 2 24 hour grocery stores, all selling ice for a little bit less than the Iceborn place sells it for. from 6am to Midnight, there are 20 places within a half mile of it.

I would be very cautious in doing what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Iceborn locations around Toledo are all for sale. I don't understand how it would make any sense to go into the business, as ice is available at so many locations 24/7. At work, we tell each other when we see someone buying ice at one of the three that we pass by on the way/from work. I pass one next door to several large apartment complexes 10 times a week, and since it went into operation, I've seen 3 people getting ice. It's been a year, and I've seen 3. Within a half mile of there, there are at least 2 24 hour carry outs and 2 24 hour grocery stores, all selling ice for a little bit less than the Iceborn place sells it for. from 6am to Midnight, there are 20 places within a half mile of it.

I would be very cautious in doing what you're talking about.
View Quote
my demographics are way different.  One grocery store in the town and they charge $2 for 10# bag.  I will do 16 for the Same price.  Plus th water  vendor and there are a couple RV parks and oil companies near buy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't run ice machines myself, but I do know about the vending industry in general from dealing with soda and snack machines.
Lots of the companies selling them are scammers, they promise the world but deliver jack shit.
They can make money, but you have to have business sense, a clue, and wide open eyes.
Read, read read, and do your own research and calculations.
Sit in front of the local convenience store, look at their prices. How many customers buy ice? Do they get anything else with the ice?
Do you need permits? What kind of regulations and fees for ice/ water vending? Here in CA, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops and bullshit. Run all the numbers, don't just assume. Remember to factor in taxes and your time. Also, in some places, ice is considered a food, so you will need county health inspections, restaurant permits, food manufacturing permits, etc. Call around and find out about this and how much all of this costs before signing or spending anything. Get it in writing, I've called about this kind of stuff before and it seems like there is a different answer each time you call.
Also, you may deal with zoning bullshit, sign requirements, ADA/accessibility, Parking, paving, etc. ie All the bullshit that comes with running a store because it is a permanent install/ building.
Also, consider theft and vandalism, constant pain in the ass for outdoor locations. And the cocksucking metheads that steal from vending machines don't care about damage, they'll happily crowbar off the 1000 dollar door to your 30,000 dollar machine and smash your 200 dollar coin mechanism to get the 40 bucks of change inside.

Here is a link to a forum I'm a member of, the later pages have posts by a guy that just started vending ice.
https://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/1528-anyone-up-for-ice-vending/
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I dunno what your demographic is.

I drive 10, 20 and 40 regularly.

I would not stop at some off the reservation ice station, ever.  

Franchise ice?  No fucking way.

Just, no.  

No.

ETA: what the fuck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Clueless about where you are.  Here in Southern California, seems like too much supply and not much demand for a standalone ice vendor any more.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
In north Florida they are very popular. $1.75 for 22#, Vs $3 for 10# from a convenience store. Between fishermen and hunters they are used a lot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
i think if you put it in the right spot (as anything) it will do okay.

i dont remember seeing any where i live (ct) but i know of a vending machine for worms and it does alright lol

if you setup in a tourist area, an active hunting/fishing area, or even a good watersport area, id think it would do okay.  keep this going, im curious how this is going to turn out, goodluck!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i think if you put it in the right spot (as anything) it will do okay.

i dont remember seeing any where i live (ct) but i know of a vending machine for worms and it does alright lol

if you setup in a tourist area, an active hunting/fishing area, or even a good watersport area, id think it would do okay.  keep this going, im curious how this is going to turn out, goodluck!
View Quote
Thanks.  I think it's going to go ok.  The traffic at this location I'd probably the best in town for this type if venture.  It's in a small oilfield town with heavy traffic both coming and going year round to folks who work in BFE.   It has an RV park Down the road and a. Ew one coming in next door.  

The ones I see in the worse traffic parts of town seem to do ok.  Competing with the Stab and grabs scare me quite a bit.  But before my office ice machine broke I had 10 or more trucks of friends show up for Ice sometimes daily, the pitched in on it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#12]
theres several here and they tend to do well but we have lots of rivers full of fisherman and recreational usage. theres plenty near the beach too. i would think one near a bunch of oil field guys who pack a yeti everyday would be money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top