Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 10:51:31 AM EDT
Taking hold in the late 1970s and really gaining mainstream support in the 1980s. The idea of placing the support band's index finger on the trigger guard took hold. S&W, Glock, Sig Sauer, Beretta, etc... They all did it. We all laugh at it now but it was a taught shooting practicum and pushed by a number of big names at the time.

(There are still folks doing it to this day)

But every pistol coming out back then had a square trigger guard to facilitate said grip. Some more pronounced than others.

Even the 1911 wasn't safe.... a number of Gunsmiths at the time did custom jobs.

Though the mindset and theory behind the combat trigger guard has  disappeared for the most part. Since we see Beretta's current 92A1 come with a round trigger guard and S&W even ditched it on the 3rd Gens.

Some still do it like Glock, Sig, and HK.

So was it an odd thing from a bygone era or is it still a proven shooting method?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd never seen that technique before- or realized that's why the trigger guards were shaped that way. I do know that it is useful when carrying a ballistic shield.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Push pull fire
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think we all laugh at it now. Different strokes man. I personally never shoot that way but do what works for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd never seen that technique before- or realized that's why the trigger guards were shaped that way. I do know that it is useful when carrying a ballistic shield.
View Quote
Seriously?

Here's a real head scratcher from the era.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think we all laugh at it now. Different strokes man. I personally never shoot that way but do what works for you.
View Quote
I grew up shooting Weaver and at first used that grip. I ditched it except for when I shoot my G26/G27.

I still shoot Weaver. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Jerry Miculek still shoots this way, so there must be something to it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jerry Miculek still shoots this way, so there must be something to it.
View Quote
Jerry shoots J-Frames upside down at 100 yard with his pinky on the trigger. The man is not human. He's a FUCKING TERMINATOR. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top