Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 11:29:58 PM EDT
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a55299/justice-department-mortgage-company-veteran/

http://amp.oregonlive.com/v1/articles/20615230/feds_side_with_lender_in_vanco.amp

So, yes, PHH foreclosed on a veteran while he was on his third tour in the Middle East. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Luckily, there is something called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act that is supposed to protect members of the military serving overseas from having done to them exactly what PHH did to Jacob McGreevey. He got legal help and took PHH to court. Then, something happened.

The United States Department of Justice—Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III, proprietor—has intervened on the side of a corrupt corporation and against a serviceman done dirt by that corrupt corporation. It already has filed a brief on behalf of PHH in the federal lawsuit against the CPFB. Certainly, it wouldn't have done PHH any good to be revealed as turning out a veteran while Ted Olson's back in Washington portraying the company as the poor victim of federal regulatory overreach. So the Justice Department—your Justice Department, in theory, anyway—intervenes in the Oregon case.

This, by the way, is the same kind of thinking that got the FBI in Boston in bed with Whitey Bulger. If you want to know who the real owners of this government are, this is as good a window into them as any. Let's spend the next three days proclaiming our love for The Troops.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Mortgage wasn't being paid and he didn't contest the foreclosure.

Don't see an issue myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well he's a vet, clearly they should just give him the house.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
hhm? sounds like he was not overseas when it happened and did not exercise his rights?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought favoring veterans was now racist?

....I can't keep up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Corporation is always evil. Don't you people watch movies?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
MAGA
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck Correct The Record trolls.  Where the fuck were you when Obama was office?  Where was your daily thread then, Ole_slabside?  Why don't you go to the liberal gun forums?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Marine didn't contest it so I don't see the problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Mortgage Company broke the law.. DOJ the enforcement arm of the big banks sides with Mortgage Company.

Foreclosure Protections & the Military

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/foreclosure-book/chapter4-8.html

When the longtime Marine became convinced his former lender had illegally foreclosed on his Vancouver home, he didn't hesitate. He looked up Sean Riddell, his former commanding officer now practicing law in Portland, and asked if he was ready to take on one of the biggest mortgage lenders in the country.

The story shines a light on the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, an obscure and often overlooked federal law intended to protect members of the military from foreclosure and other collections efforts while they're on active duty

McGreevey's fight raises questions about the Trump administration's Department of Justice and its sudden interest in the New Jersey-based lender. Twelve days before the agency sided with PHH in the Marine's case, it had filed an amicus brief supporting the lender in a lawsuit against the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The bureau had fined the lender more than $100 million for engaging in an insurance kickback scheme
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

SSRA doesn't mean you can not pay your bills.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#11]
ole_slabside thread...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Right... but it does mean there are steps they must take under the law before foreclosing... they didnt take said step.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#13]
The answer, obviously, is Russia.  Russia, Russia, Russia!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ole_slabside thread...
View Quote
Yup.  Rank trolling.  He never gave a fuck about Obama's shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
What does the law say?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a55299/justice-department-mortgage-company-veteran/

http://amp.oregonlive.com/v1/articles/20615230/feds_side_with_lender_in_vanco.amp

So, yes, PHH foreclosed on a veteran while he was on his third tour in the Middle East. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Luckily, there is something called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act that is supposed to protect members of the military serving overseas from having done to them exactly what PHH did to Jacob McGreevey. He got legal help and took PHH to court. Then, something happened.

The United States Department of Justice—Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III, proprietor—has intervened on the side of a corrupt corporation and against a serviceman done dirt by that corrupt corporation. It already has filed a brief on behalf of PHH in the federal lawsuit against the CPFB. Certainly, it wouldn't have done PHH any good to be revealed as turning out a veteran while Ted Olson's back in Washington portraying the company as the poor victim of federal regulatory overreach. So the Justice Department—your Justice Department, in theory, anyway—intervenes in the Oregon case.

This, by the way, is the same kind of thinking that got the FBI in Boston in bed with Whitey Bulger. If you want to know who the real owners of this government are, this is as good a window into them as any. Let's spend the next three days proclaiming our love for The Troops.
View Quote

Pay your fucking bills!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Right... but it does mean there are steps they must take under the law before foreclosing... they didnt take said step.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Maybe they should foreclose on your arfcom account.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The Marine waited too long to file an appeal and the court ruled that the statute of limitation was four years.
The Justice Department filed a brief that supported the four year ruling.

The fact that the Marine had not paid his mortgage and didn't contest the foreclosure was completely glossed over in that story.

And the $100 million fine? The courts ruled a $6 million fine but later some un-elected bureaucrat unilaterally raised the fine to $109 million.
The Justice Department said that they can't do that and filed a brief in favor of the company.

Your story is bad and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#19]
You could write headlines for MSNBC...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for your service
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you using a VA loan?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like a media paint job. The law protects for missed payments while deployed, not continued non payment of mortgage and then deciding to sue after statute of limitations runs out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't care which side he backed as long as he did what the law required.

Remember that statue of Lady Justice?  Let me help you out:

You'll notice that she's wearing a blindfold as she weighs matters in her scales.  That's because she is supposed to be blinded to the persons appealing to the court and is only to decide based on the law.  Even when it's a veteran.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ole_slabside thread...
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Just IGNORE his threads.  Eventually he'll go away
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ole_slabside thread...
View Quote
Actually it's a poop thread
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Wait, the foreclosure was finalized Sept 10, 2010, he did not contest it because he didn't know his rights, then "But by spring 2016, McGreevey was convinced he'd been wronged. He reached out to Riddell, who filed the lawsuit in federal court in Western Washington a month later. "

Didn't contest it at the time, files a lawsuit 5 1/2 years later.

"The Relief Act has no statute of limitations. But most courts have elected to apply a time limit on filing a complaint based on the statute of limitations in the most closely analogous state law. This gray area gave the two companies the opening they needed, and they argued that, under Washington state law, McGreevey had four years from the date of the foreclosure to file his lawsuit"

Statute of limitations ran out by 1 1/2 years, as the law was applied to all other cases.

My guess? In 2010, the housing market had completely bottomed out, he probably had very little equity as far as book value goes, was horribly underwater at fair market value, and happy to get rid of it. Spring of 2016, home prices rebound, now he is upset that he lost his house.

I wonder if he bought a house on the cheap sometime between 2011 and 2013, it would have saved him tons of money compared to the house he owned prior to 2010.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Seriously, just ban this guy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seriously, just ban this guy.
View Quote
I can think of 3 others too. Similarly none of them have memberships.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuckin' lol.

OP must assume everyone on this site is as stupid and easily had as he is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Concern trolling.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Ban him......MAGA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Concern troll is concerned. DU is that way ---->
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the worst offenders is a Team guy
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#36]
In cases involving the giant "evil" corporation versus the little guy, sometimes the little guy is wrong.

I thought that Elizabeth Warren was the only person who didn't understand that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#37]
I stopped at "ole slabside".
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wait, the foreclosure was finalized Sept 10, 2010, he did not contest it because he didn't know his rights, then "But by spring 2016, McGreevey was convinced he'd been wronged. He reached out to Riddell, who filed the lawsuit in federal court in Western Washington a month later. "

Didn't contest it at the time, files a lawsuit 5 1/2 years later.

"The Relief Act has no statute of limitations. But most courts have elected to apply a time limit on filing a complaint based on the statute of limitations in the most closely analogous state law. This gray area gave the two companies the opening they needed, and they argued that, under Washington state law, McGreevey had four years from the date of the foreclosure to file his lawsuit"

Statute of limitations ran out by 1 1/2 years, as the law was applied to all other cases.

My guess? In 2010, the housing market had completely bottomed out, he probably had very little equity as far as book value goes, was horribly underwater at fair market value, and happy to get rid of it. Spring of 2016, home prices rebound, now he is upset that he lost his house.

I wonder if he bought a house on the cheap sometime between 2011 and 2013, it would have saved him tons of money compared to the house he owned prior to 2010.
View Quote
but evil corporation
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#39]
The first article was written as propaganda. It did not intelligently lay out the legal position of either side, and no one could have an informed opinion on just reading the article.

Folks, don't get sucked in by obvious emotional appeals. This is worse than, "It's for the children!"
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Fuck Him, pay your bills, houses aren't free. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds like a media paint job. The law protects for missed payments while deployed, not continued non payment of mortgage and then deciding to sue after statute of limitations runs out.
View Quote

Bingo, yet another spin job and example of why people keep calling the major media Fake News
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#43]
O.P.

You LIE!

About facts and your shit peddling doesn't work in this place.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't like sessions, but FPNI.

Hillary lost OP.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
fuck yes.

What this guy said.

I could no shit retire if I didn't have to make house payments.

Should I set up a go fund me or something?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Regardless of what the hive thinks, I love my ignore list. OP just made it.

*CLICK*
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, they should. It's not his fault he can't set up automatic bill pay on his online account before he deploys. I mean, it takes about 5 minutes. I'm sure he didn't have that much time before being told he's shipping out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.allsculptures.com/prodimages/stu/WU75802A4.jpg

You'll notice that she's wearing a blindfold as she weighs matters in her scales.  That's because she is supposed to be blinded to the persons appealing to the court and is only to decide based on the law.  Even when it's a veteran.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.allsculptures.com/prodimages/stu/WU75802A4.jpg

Hey buddy, Arfcom ain't trying to hear that.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
ole_shortbus thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Two houses. And a car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top