Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 6:27:13 PM EDT
Starting to get low on some of my spices. (I buy the big bags)

Those who previously or currently use Penzeys know they had a very high quality product.

I've bought some "premium" spices from a couple different grocery stores...not as good.

Obviously, Penzeys can't be the only high quality spice/ingredient manufacturer in the modern day.

I dry my own basil, (which beats the pants off Penzeys) but other than that, I'd like to explore a new company.

If you have a recommendation for a company that produces a wide range of spices, awesome.

If you're just a chili head and know who makes the best chili powder, please chime in as well.

Basically, any high quality spices you like, please tell me about them.

@subnet because I know he cooks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Those packs of fresh herbs in the grocery or a planter box filled with your most common herbs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The Spice House
been using them for years. Great and fast customer service, and they keep politics out of their business.  Top quality stuff at lower than grocery store prices.
Like their FB page and you'll get early notice on any free shipping deals and such.
Alton Brown's favorite, too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Spice House
been using them for years. Great and fast customer service, and they keep politics out of their business.  Top quality stuff at lower than grocery store prices.
Like their FB page and you'll get early notice on any free shipping deals and such.
View Quote
This is who I decided to go with too.  So far so good.  There are a few things that the libtard ass hat spice place had that they don't but I will survive without those things.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Spice house.

They sell spices, not push politics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Spice House
View Quote
Awesome, thanks.

Nice wide catalog.

Better, equal to, or worse than Penzeys, in your opinion?

(Quality of product, not politics.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.

I learned of the Penzey's issue when I used the AZ Dreamin mix on my beer can chicken... and when it is gone, it is gone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I didn't know that spices were heavily political? Guess I don't pay attention.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea I remember there is a spice place we don't like. Can't remember the name. But fuck them with a chili powder cactus.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess I didn't know that spices were heavily political? Guess I don't pay attention.
View Quote
“For the rest of you, you just voted for an openly racist candidate for the presidency of the United States of America,” he wrote. “In your defense, most of you did so without thinking of the consequences of your candidate’s racism because, for most of you the heartbreaking destruction racism causes has never been anything you or your loved ones have had to experience.
“Whether any of us like it or not, for the next four years the 80% of this country who did not just vote for an openly racist candidate are going to treat you like you are the kind of person who would vote for an openly racist candidate,” he continued.
Mr. Penzey suggested that Mr. Trump’s supporters redeem themselves by volunteering this Thanksgiving or making a donation to the American Civil Liberties Union or Southern Poverty Law Center.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
@kysawgrass
He is rabid lib
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@kysawgrass
He is rabid lib
View Quote
All this is true, and deserves to be mentioned.

That being said they had great product, and I'd like to replace them with a great product.

I have no issue with us talking about Bill Penzey talking down to everyone, but in this thread I'd also like to find some high quality spices.

That's why I left the controversy out of the OP, but yes, that's why I'm switching.

I was happy with their product.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Frontier Co-OP
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for this!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
i've ordered from World Spice Merchants a few times... good products at reasonable prices.

eta: beat
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@kysawgrass
He is rabid lib
View Quote
Huh, the more you know. Sorry OP, wasn't trying to derail the spice talk. I just buy whatever's in little metal tins at Kroger, so I'm in the wrong thread anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks.

Nice wide catalog.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Spice House
Awesome, thanks.

Nice wide catalog.

Equal quality, selection isn't as good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
How would you compare them to Penzeys in quality and catalog?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Frontier Co-OP
View Quote
Also looks interesting.

Can you draw a comparison for me?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Spice House
View Quote
That's who I use.  They're great on quality, selection, prices, service, delivery speed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Penzeys is okay. I think they are bit diluted though, you have to use so much of the product it ends up being doubly expensive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Buyer beware. Thanks to lower sales volumes, you'll be getting older product compared to a high-volume store or restaurant supply vendor.

Grow your own basic stuff, like cilantro, parsley, and basil, and get the rest from a place that sells a LOT of product.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Huh, the more you know. Sorry OP, wasn't trying to derail the spice talk. I just buy whatever's in little metal tins at Kroger, so I'm in the wrong thread anyway.
View Quote
You're good man. No problem.

People should know what their businesses support.

I'm not super angry about it, I'm just looking for a good company with great product which doesn't talk down to me.

Kind of why I'm looking at a Dan Wesson over a Springfield for my next 1911.

The company makes great stuff, but when they do things I don't believe in, the brand loyalty is damaged and I tend to branch out for my purchases, where previously I would not have.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
We need to make liberals pay or we will be in deep shit at the next election.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
You do know that "the spice house" owners are related to the Penzys right?  Not a far stretch from Milwaukee to Chicago....
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag. I guess we've been lucky.

We store our dry spices in a freezer. Helps them last longer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Honestly I've never used Penzeys. We have a good Spice shop in town, and what they don't have we order from World Spice, or buy when in Seattle. Last time I was there I got a rocking Kashmir Curry blend, and they are trying to duplicate a specific no-salt green chili blend that is no longer made.

More importantly, several very good chefs I know buy from them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Wife knows a big shot at McCormick gives us spices and spice racks.  since it's all we ever used I dont' know the difference.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Brother and sister.

She inherited the parents business and he got all butt hurt about it. Opened Penzeys to put her out of business.

We were big Penzeys customers until we started paying attention to the nut job owner. We found the Spice House and never looked back. Good spices, good prices, no politics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top