Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
How much does HK charge for real MP5s sold to governments?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A properly built MP5 clone is not a cheap proposition.

The stamped steel receiver was brought into being because it was cheaper than milling out a big hunk of steel as you saw with the Thompson...but that doesn't mean it's cheap. Creating an MP5 receiver requires a series of stamping operations plus a hand-welding operation. The way H&K did the stamping was never the cheapest route even when they designed the gun in the 60's. At this point with the ubiquity of CNC machines it's cheaper to mill aluminum forgings than to stamp out those steel receivers due to the need to have presses and dies to accomplish all that.

And that's just one part.

When you really look at the AR15 and how it's designed, you start to understand why Stoner is regarded as a first rate genius right up there with John Moses Browning himself. Stoner was a man with vision and saw a path to making a gun that could be produced at very high quality in very large numbers using technology that was only getting more affordable over time. That's why we can have shitloads of botique manufacturers of AR parts today, because just about all of it can be CNC machined. That's not true with the MP5. The MP5 was designed to the production capability of a fairly large manufacturing concern that had already put significant investment in sheet steel stamping, cold hammer forging barrels, etc.

When you really think about it, the AR is approaching the point where just about any machine shop out there can make most of the parts necessary for it. It's turning into the Sten gun...only worlds better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, they are eminently cool and I want one bad.

But why can I get a decent quality AR made out of precision machined parts for like $500 bucks and an MP5 clone made of stamped steel and welds costs $1800.

I know I know, economies of scale, supply and demand, etc. But still they probably cost like 400ish to make if that. I'm shocked some entrepreneur hasn't come along with a quality clone priced at $1000 (with reach of most avid gun owners), they would sell boatloads compared to their current avg price.

A properly built MP5 clone is not a cheap proposition.

The stamped steel receiver was brought into being because it was cheaper than milling out a big hunk of steel as you saw with the Thompson...but that doesn't mean it's cheap. Creating an MP5 receiver requires a series of stamping operations plus a hand-welding operation. The way H&K did the stamping was never the cheapest route even when they designed the gun in the 60's. At this point with the ubiquity of CNC machines it's cheaper to mill aluminum forgings than to stamp out those steel receivers due to the need to have presses and dies to accomplish all that.

And that's just one part.

When you really look at the AR15 and how it's designed, you start to understand why Stoner is regarded as a first rate genius right up there with John Moses Browning himself. Stoner was a man with vision and saw a path to making a gun that could be produced at very high quality in very large numbers using technology that was only getting more affordable over time. That's why we can have shitloads of botique manufacturers of AR parts today, because just about all of it can be CNC machined. That's not true with the MP5. The MP5 was designed to the production capability of a fairly large manufacturing concern that had already put significant investment in sheet steel stamping, cold hammer forging barrels, etc.

When you really think about it, the AR is approaching the point where just about any machine shop out there can make most of the parts necessary for it. It's turning into the Sten gun...only worlds better.
You could probably hydro-form that pretty cheap and hire monkeys to weld it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Die Hard
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Mainly, because they are hard to make and require some special machinery.  

I wonder if anyone has ever built a flat set on a CNC......
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Evo is a more modern design made from modern materials and that has some benefits.
View Quote
The benefit is mainly the price point.  

Pseudo locking action, heavy weight, and low recoil 9mm conjure magic demons that bring the best shooting characteristics ever.  The Evo has no pseudo locking action, and no magic demons.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a real H&K MP5 and you won't think the cheap ass copies are so expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think there are any real transferable MP5s.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The MP5 is obsolete. This isn't saying much but the CZ Scorpion Evo is a better weapon in every way.
View Quote
Just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I fail to understand how American PTRs are sub $1000 these days and MP5 from all over are $1500+

PTR, if you're listening, make an MP5... and ideally charge range-toy money
View Quote
I suppose they could, but, they couldn't sell you one because of the 1986 FOPA machinegun ban.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In this thread we figure out who has shot/used a roller lock/delayed platform and those who think blowback PCC are just as good.

Yes prices are high for quality builds. Licensing, limited availability of parts and popularity all play a part in costs.

@BCV
View Quote
I've shot a real MP5, as in made by HK with happy switch. It's nice, but not $2k nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
MKIIIs aren't Supras.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first class III item was an S&H H&K 94 to MP5 transferable conversion. If you want a straight from H&K transferable MP5, I don't know. I was happy with the S&H conversion that I had because I couldn't tell the difference between it and real MP5's that I used at my agency before I retired. There are plenty of H&K 94 to MP5 conversions out there as well as plenty of transferable H&K registered sears. The only issue is the money. They average about $30,000. Though cheaper, I prefer my Colt M16A1 just because I prefer a machinegun to a sub-machinegun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MKIIIs aren't Supras.
View Quote
Says the guy that had the burgundy F&F ricer wing edition MKIII.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I paid close to two for just my parts from RTG. It was a de milled German MP5. I then had the parts kit sent to Ghillebear who brought it back to life. No doubt, he does excellent work. The welds and finish are notches above even an HK original gun. I then sent off the forms and waited nine months. Eventually the stamp came in the mail. I ended up getting the B&T stock for it. Great gun !
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Muh German engineering.
View Quote
There's no real reason.  For clone, they should be much, much cheaper than their current prices.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKIIIs aren't Supras.
I had a feeling we'd met before
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/219075/IMG-20161014-121757648-131727.jpg

I got one.  Neat little SBR build.  It collects a lot of dust.

View Quote
Which mp5 pistol did you start with?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#21]
OP

I currently am having the dies made to stamp out flats for MP5s since the current offerings are utter shit.

Right now I am six figures in on this project. This is just for a flat.

The amount of engineering in this flat is insane.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP

I currently am having the dies made to stamp out flats for MP5s since the current offerings are utter shit.

View Quote
So... $900 out the door for a complete MP5?

Seriously, what is your pre-determined pricepoint and has that evolved with what it's costing to get it done?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#24]
The MP5 is engineered and built by Germans. Lots of parts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you have the time and interest to expand on that point I'd love to hear where you believe the deficits are with the current offerings on the market.
View Quote
Yes please expound! What do you expect your final price point will be?

Also JW777 thanks for the earlier explanation.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.  A semi MP5 is rediculous.  Rather have a G19 and I am not a Glock fan.
View Quote
I can outshoot you and your g19 with a semi auto mp5 at any competition you'd like (speed, range, whatever) and so could anyone else familiar with both guns.  Then we could change it up and you could outshoot me if we switched guns.  4 points of contact>2.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote
Shot both. It's not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The MP5 is obsolete. This isn't saying much but the CZ Scorpion Evo is a better weapon in every way.
View Quote
Here we go again..................
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But why can I get a decent quality AR made out of precision machined parts for like $500 bucks and an MP5 clone made of stamped steel and welds costs $1800.
I know I know, economies of scale, supply and demand, etc. But still they probably cost like 400ish to make if that. I'm shocked some entrepreneur hasn't come along with a quality clone priced at $1000 (with reach of most avid gun owners), they would sell boatloads compared to their current avg price.
View Quote
Economies of scale. If an entreptreneur made sold MP5 clones for $1000, he would eventually go out of business. The cost of doing business includes buying all the tools to make the MP5 clone. The market for MP5 clones isn't that big and you have competitors. So, volume in sales isn't high. If you decrease your profit margin, you have less money to pay back for cost of materials, labor, loans for tooling, mortgage or rent for the facility, overhead that includes utilities, advertising/marketing, r&d costs, secretary salary, health insurance, your salary, office supplies, office equipment, internet fees, company vehicle expenses(lease or loan, gas, vehicle ins.)
Unless a company had some decreased cost of doing business like a tax break or low electric costs, they would be selling at close to current market prices.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP

View Quote
Damn. It really is rocket science.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I had two MP5 clones, ergonomics suck, no last round bolt hold open and almost zero modularity. Sold them and got an MPX which is light years ahead of the MP5, buddy has a scorpion and while it's nice also and clearly a better weapon than the MP5 the blow back action is not as smooth as the MPX or MP5. The MP5 is clearly held in a high position based on feelings and not because it's an advanced weapons system that's relevant today.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Economy of scale
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had two MP5 clones, ergonomics suck, no last round bolt hold open and almost zero modularity. Sold them and got an MPX which is light years ahead of the MP5, buddy has a scorpion and while it's nice also and clearly a better weapon than the MP5 the blow back action is not as smooth as the MPX or MP5. The MP5 is clearly held in a high position based on feelings and not because it's an advanced weapons system that's relevant today.
View Quote
That's cool and all, until sig decides to drop the MPX and all parts availability, because they moved onto the next thing (Ask sig 556/556xi owners about this) OR decides to come out with the Gen 3 that's changed enough that it doesn't work with your gen 1/2 MPX, Which should be anytime now, it only took 6 months before that gen 2 came out.

I own a lot of examples of Straight blowback 9mm SMG copies/carbines, and none of them come close to the MP5.

1. They don't suppress as well, especially the 9mm AR which is just 9mm shoehorned into a .223 rifle and working within the restraints of it with a marginally heavy enough bolt. Leads to a LOT of port noise when suppressed in my findings.
2. The recoil is much harsher, the beretta CX4 storm especially with a heavy bolt slamming back in a lightweight body.

The only thing I have heard of that comes close to a MP5 in recoil and suppression is the MPX from what I've heard and the closest Blowback is the B&T APC series. But that's more expensive than a MP5 and the MPX is unfortunately made by SIG.

I'm surprised the "Go be poor somewhere else" image hasn't been posted here, lol.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP

View Quote
Well, this catches my attention. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#35]
The MP5/40 and MP5/10 have last round bolt hold open and a bolt catch.  The MP5 is a very relevant gun today used in yuge numbers.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Talk to Toad at Spesual Wepens.  
View Quote
Your a thilly gooth
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

An MP5 weighs 7 pounds and is locked breech. It has low recoil as a result which is nice. Basic physics, no magic engineering. Everything else about the gun sucks badly. The ergos are fully retarded.

My B&T TP9 weighs 3 pounds and is also locked breech. Due to its light weight, it does not have as nice a recoil pulse as an MP5 but it is much much smaller than an MP5 in every dimension. Small enough to be holster carried comfortably which is why it actually makes any sense to own one. Anything larger should be rifle caliber. An 8" barrel 5.56 or 300 Blk PDW is FAR more effective and can be as little as 4lbs easily, even with a stock and optic. Subsonic 300 blk from an AR-15 is just as low recoil as a 9mm.

An MP5 is a cheap POS stamped sheet metal gun that is slightly nicer than the other POS stamped sheet metal guns of its era. It serves no useful role today other than looking cool and impressing nerds and video gamers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

An MP5 weighs 7 pounds and is locked breech. It has low recoil as a result which is nice. Basic physics, no magic engineering. Everything else about the gun sucks badly. The ergos are fully retarded.

My B&T TP9 weighs 3 pounds and is also locked breech. Due to its light weight, it does not have as nice a recoil pulse as an MP5 but it is much much smaller than an MP5 in every dimension. Small enough to be holster carried comfortably which is why it actually makes any sense to own one. Anything larger should be rifle caliber. An 8" barrel 5.56 or 300 Blk PDW is FAR more effective and can be as little as 4lbs easily, even with a stock and optic. Subsonic 300 blk from an AR-15 is just as low recoil as a 9mm.

An MP5 is a cheap POS stamped sheet metal gun that is slightly nicer than the other POS stamped sheet metal guns of its era. It serves no useful role today other than looking cool and impressing nerds and video gamers.
View Quote
Yet how many B&T TP9's do you see in use versus the MP5, Which subgun showed up in all the pictures of the anti terrorist response in London and other European countries? As well as the TP9, being held in more of a "range toy" status by most American shooters and places that have reviewed it. Any 9mm SMG copy that comes out, immediately gets compared to the King, the MP5.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you retarded or trolling?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gotta love GD. Haters always going to hate even without facts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#41]
CZ EVO is mo better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#42]
The most important question though.... scorpion evo in 10mm or mp5 10mm?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The most important question though.... scorpion evo in 10mm or mp5 10mm?
View Quote
From what I've heard, Non locking breech 10mm's lose most of that power that 10mm offers due to being blowback designs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yet how many B&T TP9's do you see in use versus the MP5, Which subgun showed up in all the pictures of the anti terrorist response in London and other European countries? As well as the TP9, being held in more of a "range toy" status by most American shooters and places that have reviewed it. Any 9mm SMG copy that comes out, immediately gets compared to the King, the MP5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Not many TP9s are in institutional use because they are expensive and only serve a niche purpose. MP5s are out there because they were bought decades ago before those departments had the ability or permission to buy real guns. New purchases are almost always short barreled AR-15/M16 variants. Shit stays in inventory because budgets aren't infinite and institutional inertia. Doesn't mean its a good solution. The french responders rolled with sporterized Mini-14s... hilarious.

There are more AKs than most other guns too. This doesn't make the AK any less of a piece of shit either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Yeah but they are so much fun..
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://s12.postimg.org/ikcgnpf3v/20161215_231453.jpg

Yeah but they are so much fun..
View Quote
True.

MP5 for fun times with friends:

AR-15 for business time:

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
you mean the Steyr TMP which B&T is copying?  the more correct comparison should be with the MP5K which is a little over 4 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I can outshoot you and your g19 with a semi auto mp5 at any competition you'd like (speed, range, whatever) and so could anyone else familiar with both guns.  Then we could change it up and you could outshoot me if we switched guns.  4 points of contact>2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  A semi MP5 is rediculous.  Rather have a G19 and I am not a Glock fan.
You could also out shoot him with a Glock 19 with a stock, or in a chassis.

Or an AR that takes glock magazines, and have a functional bolt catch, better controls, better ergonomics, and personalize it very easily.

but you definitely would not be as cool.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you have the time and interest to expand on that point I'd love to hear where you believe the deficits are with the current offerings on the market.
View Quote
I am on my phone in bff Texas so I will just hit the high points

The metal they use is basic stamping metal so it work hardens which causes all kinds of problems that worsen with pressure especially around the stress areas.

Since it's a shitty metal it wrinkles when folded which needs to be grinder smooth to look nice

When are adding two final strikes in our process which will clean it up drastically.

We were able to source the exact metal hk used in the original flats.

Because of the attention to detail, we are having to stop mid process and send everything to get annealed. Then continue with the process.

Even with all this we are doing our hardest to try to keep the prices lower than the lsc flats.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top