Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 7:58:41 AM EDT
Are there any major improvements with the MK2?  I'm looking to get one and there is about $100-$200 difference in price locally between the 2.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a PMR30 and get the same ballistics for less money
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea why 5.7 has stuck around since stargate ended.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I suspect you're trolling, but a quick google search puts the .22 mag at around 1,200 fps with a 40gr. projectile though a pistol.  The 5.7 comes in at 2,100 fps with a 40gr.  127 ft./lb vs. 350-530 ft./lb with the 5.7.  There is also bullet construction to consider.  I also haven't heard many people too happy with the PMR30's reliability.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because it's a ridiculously fun round to shoot and extremely accurate at distance out of the handgun.  And I have never watched some kid fantasy stargate show so I'm not even sure what guns were in it.

The MK2 is newer and I believe accepts a wider range of mags.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because StarGate is still on Hulu!

I dont really get the Five-Seven pistol, but out of the P90 I think the cartridge makes more sense.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea sure, buy a gun, the pmr30, which doesn't work half of the time.  Great idea.  And the ballistics aren't the same, but it doesn't matter because the pmr30 is a jamomatic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except you can't reload for a rimfire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, exact same ballistics...

40 gr 22 WMR at 1250 FPS is exactly the same as 40 gr 5.7 moving at 2000 FPS.

ETA: Mk2 is the Mk2 for a reason. Improvements are minor, but they are noteworthy. Only irritation is getting fixed night sights.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Did I make it before the hurr-durr .22 magnum crowd? If not they'll likely be along shortly. The Mk2 has a one piece slide and adjustable sights. The POI between the different rounds can vary a good bit, so it's pretty nice to have the sights. Other than that a downside of the Mk2 is they generally need their own holsters unless they're a looser fitting variety.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Isn't reloading the 5.7x28mm cartridge incredibly difficult?  I remember reading that a few years ago when I had a Five-Seven boner and the reloading intricacies turned me off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention all black controls vs. grey and front slide serrations.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't reloading the 5.7x28mm cartridge incredibly difficult?  I remember reading that a few years ago when I had a Five-Seven boner and the reloading intricacies turned me off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bit more of a PITA but not too bad. I only do it with brass fired out of my 5.7 Encore barrel as it has a tight chamber and I only need to neck size for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Shot one and loved it.

If it was cheaper I would own one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife still wants an SBR'd PS90.

But she bought the entire run of both SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD, soooo...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife still wants an SBR'd PS90.

But she bought the entire run of both SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD, soooo...
View Quote
If you're not kidding you should do it. My wife loves the PS90. Fast and easy to shoot, lots of rounds on tap and NO recoil to speak of. I SBR'd one and have another kept at factory length, great little guns.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Answering your question (and ignoring the trolling)

The slide is a one piece milled piece on the MKII vs a two piece welded stamping, supposedly there are SOME beefed up parts in the frame.

MOST USG holsters won't fit the MKII

It really comes down to which one you think looks better.
View Quote
Thx, Was wondering myself
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not much difference between loading the 5.7 and other cartridges, BUT, it's not a round to attempt to "hot rod".

If you load sensible loads you MIGHT get 5-7 loadings per casing.

You should weigh EVERY charge. Keep in mind 50,000 c.u.p. in a TINY casing.

The brass needs trimming every time.

The cartridge doesn't show pressure spikes like most rounds, to determine if a load is too hot the best way is to section a casing and see if there is a bright ring close to the shoulder where a brass separation is beginning.

Use a powder that has a nice gentle pressure curve when loading 5.7x28. True Blue is recommended by many. Some powders pressure spike with only a difference of .2 of a grain.

You "wash" the brass with a solution of Simple Green and water.

You shouldn't reload this cartridge with the intention of trying to come close to loads offered by Elite Ammunition. I carry Elite S4M (2,400 fps+) but that's not something a home loader should even begin to try and copy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much difference between loading the 5.7 and other cartridges, BUT, it's not a round to attempt to "hot rod".

If you load sensible loads you MIGHT get 5-7 loadings per casing.

You should weigh EVERY charge. Keep in mind 50,000 c.u.p. in a TINY casing.

The brass needs trimming every time.

The cartridge doesn't show pressure spikes like most rounds, to determine if a load is too hot the best way is to section a casing and see if there is a bright ring close to the shoulder where a brass separation is beginning.

Use a powder that has a nice gentle pressure curve when loading 5.7x28. True Blue is recommended by many. Some powders pressure spike with only a difference of .2 of a grain.

You "wash" the brass with a solution of Simple Green and water.

You shouldn't reload this cartridge with the intention of trying to come close to loads offered by Elite Ammunition. I carry Elite S4M (2,400 fps+) but that's not something a home loader should even begin to try and copy.
Any reason S4 over T6B? Buffman RANGE who tests all the 5.7 stuff seemed to like T6B a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top