Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 7:23:25 PM EDT
http://m.aviationweek.com/awin/six-factors-named-manas-kc-135-crash

HO LEE FUK!

I had never heard of "rudder hunting" before.

...forces resulted in the structural failure and separation of rear fuselage bulkheads 1560 to 1440 with both vertical and horizontal stabilizers breaking away from the rear of the aircraft, immediately sending the KC-135 into an 83-deg. nose-down attitude. As the aircraft broke through the clouds, eyewitnesses on the ground saw the starboard wing separate, which caused the exposed fuel to explode. One of the aircraft's engines landed within 30 ft. of a bystander on the ground.
View Quote
What a way to go!

Okay....ARFcom pilots, what say you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bueller...Bueller?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The report doesn't really give much info.    It's impossible to tell just how aggressive the Cpt was, when playing with those rudders.

We typically never touch the rudders in flight.  Only for takeoff and landing, for 10-20 seconds.  

Rudder malfunctions are extremely serious, and our training addresses it, but doesn't really dwell on just how fragile the tail section is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
There was one semi similar in a commercial airliner, forget the flight number. The airplane experienced wake turbulence and the pilot or copilot was incorrectly trained by the airline to use hard rudder inputs to smooth out the flight. Inputs that broke the tail off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't happen in a Boeing narrow-body. Nope...

USAir 427

UAL 585 COS

Boeing and SWA busted their asses to make this go away...

TC
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was one semi similar in a commercial airliner, forget the flight number. The airplane experienced wake turbulence and the pilot or copilot was incorrectly trained by the airline to use hard rudder inputs to smooth out the flight. Inputs that broke the tail off.
View Quote
Wasn't that the one that went down in NY/NJ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The -135 community really took that to heart.  We've chased all sorts of gremlins related to even minor rudder hunting that pilots would have ignored before Shell 77.  There was also a training element as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're thinking of AAL 587.

Prior to this incident, pilots were taught that you can pretty much do whatever you want if you are at or below maneuvering speed.

That's not really taught anymore in primary training from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/580256/aircraft-malfunction-insufficient-training-lead-to-kc-135-crash-three-fatalities/

According to that link, it looks like Mama Blue is calling it "aircraft malfunction coupled with lack of aircrew training".

I'd be curious if there were other incidents of rudder hunting/Dutch rolling of KC-135s prior to that crash.  And what the aircrews did to recover from it???

I noticed the first article said the pilot/co-pilot tried to get the plane into auto-pilot....but I guess by that time the oscillations were so severe that auto-pilot wouldn't stay engaged.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're thinking of AAL 587.

Prior to this incident, pilots were taught that you can pretty much do whatever you want if you are at or below maneuvering speed.

That's not really taught anymore in primary training from what I have seen.
View Quote
Correct.

The pilot on the NY flight that went down was taught to 'pump the ailerons' to stabilize the aircraft since they hit hard turbulence from a larger aircraft that took off too soon before them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't happen in a Boeing narrow-body. Nope...

USAir 427

UAL 585 COS

Boeing and SWA busted their asses to make this go away...

TC
View Quote
At first, I was thinking of the jack screw failures on MD-83s.

But damn...a servo on the PCU.

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Uhg. That sucks.

I know pilots have a reputation for 100% honest hot wash critique, but it pains me a bit for the aircrew's "inexperience" to be blamed when the AF admits they couldn't even simulate the event in training. I guess it's technically true, but feels (muh feelz!) a bit slimy as if the AF is trying to blame the pilot instead of the gear, when gear and training program failure is maybe a more apt target.

RIP guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/580256/aircraft-malfunction-insufficient-training-lead-to-kc-135-crash-three-fatalities/

According to that link, it looks like Mama Blue is calling it "aircraft malfunction coupled with lack of aircrew training".

I'd be curious if there were other incidents of rudder hunting/Dutch rolling of KC-135s prior to that crash.  And what the aircrews did to recover from it???

I noticed the first article said the pilot/co-pilot tried to get the plane into auto-pilot....but I guess by that time the oscillations were so severe that auto-pilot wouldn't stay engaged.
View Quote
Yes, just never that severe.  And plenty of events since.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Uhg. That sucks.

I know pilots have a reputation for 100% honest hot wash critique, but it pains me a bit for the aircrew's "inexperience" to be blamed when the AF admits they couldn't even simulate the event in training. I guess it's technically true, but feels (muh feelz!) a bit slimy as if the AF is trying to blame the pilot instead of the gear, when gear and training program failure is maybe a more apt target.

RIP guys.
View Quote
The training, tech data, simulators, and flight manuals have all been changed because of the board's findings.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
We all got the briefing on this after the investigation. The CVR is fucking terrible to listen to.

My brother (also a boom) was on a crew at Manas when it happened and I didn't hear from him for several hours after I got the word that a tanker went down. One of our AC's got a call out on SAT comms to our CP to relay that it wasn't any of our people.

Also, one of my friends was the crew chief that launched the jet. He hasn't been the same since, even though he couldn't have caught anything to save the crew.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We all got the briefing on this after the investigation. The CVR is fucking terrible to listen to.

My brother (also a boom) was on a crew at Manas when it happened and I didn't hear from him for several hours after I got the word that a tanker went down. One of our AC's got a call out on SAT comms to our CP to relay that it wasn't any of our people.

Also, one of my friends was the crew chief that launched the jet. He hasn't been the same since, even though he couldn't have caught anything to save the crew.
View Quote
I'm glad that stayed on the Ops side.  It had to be a long time after they knew they were in a bad way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm glad that stayed on the Ops side.  It had to be a long time after they knew they were in a bad way.
View Quote
WHere is it
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw the recreation as well. What really haunted me was how quiet the cockpit became in the 10 seconds or so before the aircraft broke apart. Once the A/C took over, the aircraft was almost out of control with that point. To think all they had to do was turn rudder power off and that crash would have been completely avoided is tragic.  Sadly the -1 (at the time) said to do otherwise.

Rudder hunting has been a problem for years, it's just rare to see it happen to that extent in flight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#19]
You can turn the Rudder Power off ( turns off Hyd power to Rudder PCU ) on the 135. The reports are kinda vague but the pilots exasperated the problem by trying to use rudder inputs to counter the dutch roll.

[CptHindsight] Auto Pilot Off, RP off , feet off pedals and it would prob have settled out.[/CptHindsight]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
WHere is it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHere is it
I haven't seen it on open source. Not that I have looked for it though.

When I went thru CFIC I had several instructors and friends from Fairchild that knew them very closely and this had just happened.

RIP to Tyler, Tori and Tre.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Cliff notes: this accident was caused by bent linkage in the series yaw damper (prevents Dutch roll) and lack of crew awareness in Dutch roll recovery. As the aircraft accelerated, so did the Dutch roll.. the crew knew something was wrong but couldn't figure out what was going on... there were indications that the AC (aircraft commander) suspected the yaw damper was the issue, but at the time, corrective action was to turn the yaw damper back ON, since it fails in the OFF mode. But in this case, the yaw damper worked fine, it was just the linkage that made the rudder out of sync, causing the Dutch roll rather than dampening it as designed.

This accident scared them hell out of us in the 135 community, because for months no one knew wtf happened. I was under the strong opinion that the center wing fuel tank exploded like TWA800...

I always try to put myself in the crew's shoes and think honestly what I would have done..... to tell the truth, I don't think I would have figured out the problem, but I do think that ONE thing would have saved me... I would have slowed the fuck down! And especially stayed off the rudder. The fact that they kept accelerating, and worse yet, made rudder inputs coupled with improper Dutch roll recovery, sealed their fate. Very sad.

My sim partner in CFIC was roommates with the copilot's husband at the academy... she (the copilot) just returned from maternity leave and was just back on flying status. He also was a 135 guy and never flew the tanker again after the incident.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mostly correct. The series yaw damper (SYD), which prevents Dutch roll, was fucked and doing the opposite of what it should. There are theories of what may have caused this malfunction,  but from what I am aware, this was the only recorded issue of this kind. This situation is not to be confused with the "hard over rudder" situations that have occurred in the past.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can turn the Rudder Power off ( turns off Hyd power to Rudder PCU ) on the 135. The reports are kinda vague but the pilots exasperated the problem by trying to use rudder inputs to counter the dutch roll.

[CptHindsight] Auto Pilot Off, RP off , feet off pedals and it would prob have settled out.[/CptHindsight]
View Quote
If only they had realized that shutting off power rudder would have worked sooner 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
August 28, 1963, KC-135
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If only they had realized that shutting off power rudder would have worked sooner 
View Quote
I can say as a former 135 instructor pilot, that almost no one would have come to that conclusion off the bat. Hindsight, yup... makes perfect sense, but all we can do now is learn from the past and keep an open mind to understand what crews are thinking when bad shit goes down.

Just think about how many times we are flying when we don't realize that our head is actually way up our ass... sometimes it takes things like this,to remind us that "Fate is the Hunter."
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
What is rudder hunting?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagging a great convo

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is rudder hunting?
View Quote
Fancy term for uncommanded rudder movement, or uncommanded rudder occilations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
This was a tough one to see...  My dad was a nav in the -135 from 1991 to 2005 (Ohio ANG).  He ran the intel shop for the same Wing until he retired in 2012.

:(
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top