Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M7 bayonet makes for a decent field knife by itself, but being able to mount it as a bayonet obviously adds to it's utility.  There are add-on bayonet lugs available.  I doubt whether many bayonet charges will be made in the future, but I can say, for a certainty that a bayonet is very intimidating as a crowd-control device.   I've been on the wrong end of a line of troops with fixed bayonets, and it's not something I'll ever forget.

For a means of crowd control, and prisoner control, the bayonet remains an intimidating and useful tool.

However, the M7 and its' brothers are good field knives, and not impossibly heavy for such duty.  The M7 is heavier than the usual Mora Knife, but the Mora, while a more practical knife,  cannot be used as a bayonet. 
View Quote
My buddy has multiple Colt ARs acquired over a 3 decades.  I hope the thing fits one of them at least.
If not, you say there are work arounds?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I would probably just buy one from CMP $42

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/PB008M7
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My buddy has multiple Colt ARs acquired over a 3 decades.  I hope the thing fits one of them at least.
If not, you say there are work arounds?
View Quote

There is a deal that goes on the ass end of the bayonet that lenthens the handle enough that it will fit a carbine.
Or they sell clamp on adapters that clamp on the barrel so the bayonet latch will work.  
One of the pics had the first deal pictured in it. {I was wrong about this}
I can't remember where I saw the pic of that extender dealy.  

I have a couple of m7s as well as that pattern that fit the older US rifles.
M4, M5, M6, M7 a {damn I forget the numbers} cut down from 43 that fits my Garand and a {I want to say} 1907 Enfield type for the USmOf 1917 that also fits the US shotguns.  {for long poking shit}
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. Amazon dropped it at his office today. He will let me know tomorrow what if anything it fits. But he is fucking stoked so mission accomplished.

I'll update.

Thanks especially raf and meistermash for mounting info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, you saved me having to scan pages.

What book is from that? Pretty much the same information and illustrations in this one, but the pages don't match up.

I can highly recommend this book to anyone interested in bayonets, if you can find it.

I'm not sure how many M7s I have, I've given a couple away, probably six or seven left.

I'm also the guy that came up with this . . .

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks, you saved me having to scan pages.

What book is from that? Pretty much the same information and illustrations in this one, but the pages don't match up.
View Quote
 M.H. Cole "U.S. Military Knives, Bayonets & Machetes" 3rd Edition (1986)

Edit:

edit2:

I also have the little price guide that Silvey, Boyd and Trzaska published.
if @thomas41 ever responds, I'd gladly tell him what the value is. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I doubt whether many bayonet charges will be made in the future, but I can say, for a certainty that a bayonet is very intimidating as a crowd-control device.
View Quote
Despite having one of the world's worst bayonet mounting platforms, the British Army seems to have used bayonet charges regularly in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I would probably just buy one from CMP $42

View Quote
http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/PB008M7
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Papaw
What's your opinion on it as a utility knife when it's not attached to the end of an assault rifle?
View Quote
My experience is that it, like most bayonets, is not designed to be a utility knife. Remember that on a bayonet, the edge is deliberately less sharp than a field knife blade, in order to promote increased blunt trauma wounding. (A sharp edge isn't needed on a thrusting weapon) Because of the relatively thin profile the M7 blade (where it is double edged), I have used an M7 with good effect as a letter opener- but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Even though it looks like a knife blade, it's not a knife. It's O.K. for puncture wounds, but you need the extra leverage the rifle provides to slash and tear flesh.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just here to get opinions on Ontario.

The only M16 bayonet that I have is a Eickhorn made Colt. I bought it because it was the same price as the others at the time. At the time, I don't think it was considered collectible or even desirable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Ontario is a Govt. contractor and has been for decades. They make/made utility knives (Ka Bars), bayonets (since the Vietnam era), and aircrew survival knives ( I have one that is 45 years old). Their products are good enough for government work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would probably just buy one from CMP $42

View Quote
THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ontario is a Govt. contractor and has been for decades. They make/made utility knives (Ka Bars), bayonets (since the Vietnam era), and aircrew survival knives ( I have one that is 45 years old). Their products are good enough for government work.
View Quote
They have also made US military machetes for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would like to know this as well. Especially from those that used them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's everyones feelings on the M7 bayonet versus the M9 bayonet?
I would like to know this as well. Especially from those that used them.
I was issued an M7 bayonet, but carried my own personal Buck M9 in the Big Sandbox across the sky.

They're good bayonets, but the very tip of the blade breaks off easily.  Nothing that can't be filed out, but annoying nonetheless.  I did use the wire cutter feature for mundane chores, and I kept a leatherman in the nylon pouch attached on the scabbard.

Carrying that thing on my body convinced me that lighter is always better, thus I believe the issued M7 is sufficient to get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep - surplus GI with the sheath. Great knife overall -  I have mine as the pointy stabby thing at the business end of my 590
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's mine with no adapter.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
By the by, if someone is looking for a more modern bayo for use on their AR that also makes a decent field knife,
the CZ Bren 805 bayonet works on the AR lug.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks really awkward to stab someone with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That looks really awkward to stab someone with.
View Quote
really?
I thought it looked sexy as hell (if you're referring to the CZ bayonet immediately above your post)
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  really?
I thought it looked sexy as hell (if you're referring to the CZ bayonet immediately above your post)
View Quote
Yep.  Sexy isn't what I look for in a bayonet.  Multi-function isn't what I look for.  The purpose of it is to poke deeply into a human body to create a near-mortal or mortal wound, thus discouraging the enemy from continuing to resist.  Last I checked, sexy in objects was a category of women's clothing.

On the plus side, I've received my bayonet adapter, but am temporarily separated from my M7 and my AR, so I can't demonstrate bayonet thrusting techniques for the Sinister.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#26]
As designed, the M7 didn't need to be all that sharp to poke holes in enemies.  Most of us actually sharpened them, so they would shave, I like the balance of the M7, it is very comfortable in my hand, I also have a Gerber Civilian version and I carry it a lot when I am out and about in the field and it has come in handy a few times.  If you use them as designed they do quite well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Last I checked, sexy in objects was a category of women's clothing.
View Quote
Allow me to update your vocabulary, for about the last 20 years sexy can apply to any object, especially a car/motorcycle/firearm/edged weapon/tool/etc..

The only drawback I see with the CZ bayonet is that its "upside down" when mounted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Allow me to update your vocabulary, for about the last 20 years sexy can apply to any object, especially a car/motorcycle/firearm/edged weapon/tool/etc..

The only drawback I see with the CZ bayonet is that its "upside down" when mounted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last I checked, sexy in objects was a category of women's clothing.

Neva Been Done Befo

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Neva Been Done Befo
View Quote
except with the M7 (and M9), you mean...
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/Images_7/DSC02750.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neva Been Done Befo
The long edge on the CZ and AK bayonets faces up.

On the M7 and M9 the long edge faces down.  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#31]
mine is like # 10
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]
You can get real issued ones from CMP for far less, though they will be a little used. The one's I've ordered have all been in great shape with a worn but usable scabbard. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Some of the older scabbards are worth more than the bayonets in them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Still got the M7 I was issued back in 90' for gw1
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sports Man Guide has used surplus M7 with Scabbard's for a little over $30 bucks right now, I ordered a couple last week, cleaned and sharpened and they are good to go.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-m7-bayonet-with-scabbard-used?a=406497
View Quote
Got one of those a few months back. Good for the money. Scabbard was used looking, but blade was good. Worth it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a new Ontario M7 off of Ebay earlier this year for my A2/A4 Clone I built.  This past Monday was my 25th anniversary from graduating from Basic/AIT at Ft. Benning.  I built the 20 incher in honor of that.  

Bayonet training was a good time, but I still remember cutting the hell out of my thumb.  I remember a few Drill Sgt's had M9's and we thought they were so cool.  I actually like the M7 better now as the M9 doesn't have much for a tang and can break easily.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I need a bayonet..brb.

ETA: Ordered one
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep.  Sexy isn't what I look for in a bayonet.  Multi-function isn't what I look for.  The purpose of it is to poke deeply into a human body to create a near-mortal or mortal wound, thus discouraging the enemy from continuing to resist.  Last I checked, sexy in objects was a category of women's clothing.

On the plus side, I've received my bayonet adapter, but am temporarily separated from my M7 and my AR, so I can't demonstrate bayonet thrusting techniques for the Sinister.
View Quote
Except, historically that isn't true.
Even in times when the bayo was a serious part of a soldier's accouterments, it was seldom used.
By the turn of the 20th century, military's were redesigning bayonets to be more useful field tools than stabby tools.
That's when we saw wide spread adoption of saw-back bayonets for instance. That wasn't to make the bayonet more brutal
(few stab wounds would go that deep anyway) it was to be useful in camp.
Another example is the M.1891 Mosin bayonet. The end was blunted to be used as screwdriver for disassembly of the rifle. Stabby qualities were given second consideration.

In modern warfare, our rifle platforms make shitty pikes. If you're going mano-a-mano with a combatant, you're probably just better off with a good blade in hand.

In any event, thrusting any object with a reasonable point at someone is going to cause a nasty wound. We're not made of armor. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neva Been Done Befo

Edge up mounting is much, much older than the AK. Most Mauser bayonets mount edge up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I find it interesting that some British units routinely use the bayonet in assaults in Afghanistan, despite having one of the world's worst bayonet platforms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
which was the basis for my "would be cooler if it weren't mounted upside down" comment..
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't care if the blade faces up or down, it is something you don't want to be stabbed with either way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#45]
We could bring back the Puckle gun as well, w/ square bullets to use against non-Christians.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter if the blade is facing up or down, which is to say that the blade is oriented vertically; what matters is that the blade is facing the wrong way: it should be oriented horizontally for use on humans.

Some history.  The bayonet was not only used in infantry charges against opponents; it was also used to defend against cavalry charges.  The front rank would kneel and project the bayonet tipped rifle upwards at an angle, and the second rank would stand in between them also with bayonets affixed and raised.  Believe it or not, horses could see the shiny, pointy things as they got close, and would very often balk and shy away from the wall of shiny metal bayonets.  British Square Receiving Cavalry Charge at Waterloo.  That's one reason the bayonet was issued in the white, even up through WW I, when cavalry charges were still believed to be possible--  So the horses could more easily SEE it.

Horses have their rib cages with their ribs almost always vertically oriented, and that is how the current bayonet is oriented.  However, the Human Rib Cage has its ribs oriented horizontally.  I expect that some bayonet jams were because the wrongly-oriented bayonet got stuck between the human opponent's ribs; such a thing would be far less likely to occur if stabbing a horse with the animal-oriented bayonet.

With the disappearance of cavalry charges, it was decided to shorten the knife to a lighter, more field-useable design, and presumably this is the reason why the blade has remained in its' current, vertically-oriented, edge down configuration.  The blades were darkened, because it was no longer necessary to intimidate horses, and because camouflage.

However, with the advent of body armor, it may be time to re-think the bayonet.  While the common spear-tipped bayonet/field knife is probably useless against hard armor, there is considerable real estate on the armored human opponent clad only in soft armor.  If the modern bayonet becomes a fighting tool in the future, perhaps we will revert to a round, triangular or cruciform spike-style bayonet, which probably stands a better chance of penetrating soft armor, and is most unlikely to get stuck.  Round Spike Bayonet.  Examples of the triangular style bayonet are those used by Brits and Americans up through US CivWar, and the cruciform bayonet is typified by the French Lebel and Chinese SKS bayonets.  Who knows, but what was once old may become new again. 
View Quote
That last would be interesting to see.
In line with your comments about vertical versus horizontal orientation, I was recently watching a couple NZDF videos about their new service rifle (LMT CQB16, IIRC) and it has a bayonet lug separate from the gas block...and it appears to be mounted at the 3 o'clock position on the barrel, so as to hold the blade oriented horizontally when fixed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that some British units routinely use the bayonet in assaults in Afghanistan, despite having one of the world's worst bayonet platforms.
View Quote
How are they routinely getting into situations where they cannot shoot their enemy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't think it's been said yet that they fit on a mid length AR the same as they do on a 20" rifle.

The mids are my favorite AR's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#49]
mine is #10
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#50]
mine is #10
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top