Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2017 2:07:05 AM EDT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/07/new-artificial-intelligence-can-tell-whether-youre-gay-or-straight-from-a-photograph

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research suggesting that machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Tay got pretty good at that before they pulled the plug on her.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not AI. All of these social media sites and free apps know exactly who you are and are simply matching you up according to data it has. Algos bro.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Tay got pretty good at that before they pulled the plug on her.
View Quote
Gas the Jews, race war now?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's not AI. All of these social media sites and free apps know exactly who you are and are simply matching you up according to data it has. Algos bro.
View Quote
Possible, but that's not what the article says. It's based on appearances.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
AI named Garfield?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chaz appears to have put "Lezbian Trans" in her FB profile.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I can identify that NPR has about 90% gay male staff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]
AI Gaydar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh NO!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#10]
So,

Is it publicly released?

There's an old thread around here where some members posted their pictures.

You see where I'm going with this? Huh?  HUH? 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought this was going to be one of those things where you get your friends to upload their photos to the site and it says "totally gay" every time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If less than 10% of the population were homosexual, and the software just said everyone viewed was straight, it would be accurate about 91% of the time.  Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If less than 10% of the population were homosexual, and the software just said everyone viewed was straight, it would be accurate about 91% of the time.  Am I missing something here?
View Quote
stop ruining this with math and shit.

no you are not missing anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol, I think you just nailed it!  Some smart fucker came up with this as a scheme to get attention and money.  

You win the internet today!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Gaydar

I can spot queers but who cares.

I can spot them before they even know they caught the gay.

I think they are born that way, for the most part.

If you want my explanation of how evolution and creationism are both true you will have to sign up for the newsletter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Great - the snowflakes programmed sterotypes into AI.

If AI had a face it'd look like one of those homos in Deliverance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Gay facia.

Old news.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Isnt that called profiling..Al is racist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
So gay men and women "tend to have gender atypical features, facial expressions, and grooming styles?"

Gee, that's a shocker.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Who posts pictures with cum on their chin?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
STOP TRYING TO CATEGORIZE MY SEXUALITY YOU HETEROCAGED MISOGYNISTIC WHITE PRIVILEGED COMPUTER!!!!!??111

#triggered

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
If the computer just guesses "straight" every time it could approach 95%+ accuracy if the sample is random.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top