BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dalton was the closest to the book, but the movies were horrible.  Its too bad he didn't get good scripts.  I would have been interested in what he could have done with better source material
View Quote
I enjoyed The Living Daylights, it's one of my favorite Bond films. Dalton gets unfairly maligned; as you said, he's actually the closest any actor has gotten to portraying the Bond of the novels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you friggin' kidding me? "Are they worth watching", sheesh! You can see the original man's man, Sean Connery, the best 007 ever kicking ass. Don't bother with the movies starring the prissy Roger Moore though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond.  I expect you to die."
View Quote
One of the best lines ever.

Interesting facts.
The German actor that played Goldfinger couldn't speak English and his lines were all dubbed.
Also, he was a former Nazi, but he left the party before WWII and hid some Jews during the war.
Only after a family testified about his helping Jews during WWII did Israel allow the film to be shown.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Several pop up to watch for free on Amazon Prime randomly.  

I always watch them when they're available.  

They're all entertaining to watch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I  think The Man with the Golden Gun was one of the better Moore movies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
M14 rifles

WWII Ft Knox barracks

lazers

an AR-7 sniper rifle

...and a chick named PUSSY GALORE

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the best lines ever.

Interesting facts.
The German actor that played Goldfinger couldn't speak English and his lines were all dubbed.
Also, he was a former Nazi, but he left the party before WWII and hid some Jews during the war.
Only after a family testified about his helping Jews during WWII did Israel allow the film to be shown.
View Quote
He was also ze German on ze horse in The Longest Day

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I like almost all of the older bonds:

Goldfinger
Thunderball
Diamonds are forever
Live and let die
The man with the golden gun
The spy who loved me
Moonraker
For your eyes only
Octopussy
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Two pages and no one has yet said "Ursula Andress!!!!!"

/thread
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two pages and no one has yet said "Ursula Andress!!!!!"

/thread
View Quote
No.

Not bad.  But no.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Even better
Honor Blackmans Pussy Galore and her Flying Circus

One of The Funniest 007 Clips Ever
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The early JB films are interesting to watch from the cultural perspective. Until 007, good guys usually let the bad guy have the first shot (luckily, they missed). Until 007, no one had a license to kill. Smoking was OK, still. Men wore hats.

Dr. No and From Russia with Love are interesting because those two movies came out before gadgetry was added, in a big way, to the James Bond formula. Goldfinger was the first JB film that I consider had every element of James Bond. It was a gold standard that would lead to copy cats in the form of Man from U.N.C.L.E., movie parodies such as Dean Martin's Matt Helm series or James Coburn's Flint, many serious spy thriller movies, TV parodies such as Get Smart, and even cartoons that spoofed the spies and gadgets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The early JB films are interesting to watch from the cultural perspective. Until 007, good guys usually let the bad guy have the first shot (luckily, they missed). Until 007, no one had a license to kill. Smoking was OK, still. Men wore hats.

Dr. No and From Russia with Love are interesting because those two movies came out before gadgetry was added, in a big way, to the James Bond formula. Goldfinger was the first JB film that I consider had every element of James Bond. It was a gold standard that would lead to copy cats in the form of Man from U.N.C.L.E., movie parodies such as Dean Martin's Matt Helm series or James Coburn's Flint, many serious spy thriller movies, TV parodies such as Get Smart, and even cartoons that spoofed the spies and gadgets.
View Quote
The hell you say!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't like them, we can't be friends.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You have to be the only person that I have ever heard say this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't listen to this guy.  OHMSS is a fantastic film with a fantastic cast with great camera work. Editing was poorly done.

Telly Savalas, Diana Rigg?  The only film where the bond girl and bad guy were more accomplished actors than bond.  

Haters gonna hate.
You have to be the only person that I have ever heard say this.
I like OHMSS. I think it's highly underrated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#16]
They have some of the greatest cheesy banter of all time. Totally worth a watch!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I almost think there is an age limit to appreciating Bond films.

If you were born after a certain date, flying has never been an event in itself.  It is just being packed into a metal tube as a means of getting somewhere.
A car with a phone isn't just science fiction.  Some people have never known a world without a cell phone, which makes a car phone just sound silly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]

And here he is in 'Joe Dirt',  because the Witness Protection Program gave him the actor's name when they moved him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Connery is the best Bond. The other Bonds are just cheap imitations.

The first five films are classics:

Dr No
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice

In my opinion nothing that has come after them even comes close - and this includes the Bond girls in those films: super hot 60s chicks.
View Quote
Jill St. John was pretty smokin' in Diamonds Are Forever
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The old Sean Connery ones are great. Roger Moore's can be hit or miss but Live and let Die is awesome. Timothy Dalton *meh*  Pierce Brosnans are cheezy but ok. George Lazenby the one hit Wonder i try to forget. I thought the Daniel Craig ones are really good and get back to more of " the man" instead of ridiculous gadgets and totally over the top situations.
View Quote
Roger Moore's are mostly miss for me.  I like him as Bond, but they kept trying to put odd humor into his movies at inappropriate times.  Sean Connery's are the best for the old Bond movies.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The old Sean Connery ones are great. Roger Moore's can be hit or miss but Live and let Die is awesome. Timothy Dalton *meh*  Pierce Brosnans are cheezy but ok. George Lazenby the one hit Wonder i try to forget. I thought the Daniel Craig ones are really good and get back to more of " the man" instead of ridiculous gadgets and totally over the top situations.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Lazenby was fine as Bond.  He mucked it up for future roles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
We've got the complete set so yes!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#25]
"Do you expect me to talk?

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To really appreciate Bond movies, you have to consider the times they were released.

I went to see Dr.No at the movies when it came out.  No one knew anything about James Bond.

In the part where he is waiting at the girl's apartment for the guy to come to shoot him, and he is playing solitaire with the silencer on his pistol...........

He ends up shooting the bad guy a couple of times and the guy falls.  Then James calmly gives him the final anchoring shot to assure that he is dead.

That was the first time a movie "hero" did such a thing.  It was unheard of.  It changed what a "hero" would be from then forward.
View Quote
I've seen you post this before, and I think it hits the point better than any other example.

This was 1962. It was the height of the Western, "white hat" good guy era later parodied by such classics as Rustler's Rhapsody.

The good guy just didn't do that sort of thing.

Well, Han Solo later would, until he later didn't. George Lucas could have used an understanding of the character introduction effect that such things have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife and I started on the boxed set a few years ago. Enjoyed all of the Connery stuff. Lost interest after the first few Roger Moore films.

I've enjoyed 50% of the Daniel Craig movies immensely. Even named a new family member after one of the characters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I swear I remember seeing tits in Dr. no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Live and let die had a Guiness word record boat jump.  How can you not like that .
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dolly DIDN'T have braces.
View Quote
That will haunt me forever
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#31]
There was one Bond film, Never Say Never Again, that was not sanctioned by Fleming.  It was a bitter thing and Connery's last film.  You notice the difference from the very beginning when the classic Bond opening is not used in the film.  I thought this one was "ok", but not as good as the other films that were produced by Eon Productions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Live and let die had a Guiness word record boat jump.  How can you not like that .
View Quote
I remember going to see that while on holiday in Dublin
They had Bonds orange boat in the foyer/lobby of the cinema....it was awesome as a 10 year old Bradders
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PE_55k_H_sk/maxresdefault.jpg

And here he is in 'Joe Dirt',  because the Witness Protection Program gave him the actor's name when they moved him.
View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every Bond film has tits in the opening music credits.  Look more closely.  All the models are always nude... whether running, swimming, jumping, or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Huh?
View Quote
The actor who played Goldfinger was named Gert B. Frobe. Christopher Walken's character in 'Joe Dirt' was renamed Gert B. Frobe after the FBI moved him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Sean Connery is a ligitament bad ass. Kicked one of Micky Cohen's enforcers asses on set.

In 1957, Stompanato became so jealous about Turner's relationship with future James Bond actor Sean Connery, he flew to the United Kingdom. He stormed onto the set of Another Time, Another Place threatening Connery with a gun. Unperturbed, the 6 ft 2 in Scotsman, who was a former body builder, bent Stompanato's hand back forcing him to drop the weapon.[4][5] He was reported to the police and quietly deported from the United Kingdom.[6] After Stompanato's death, it was rumored that at least one LA mobster held Connery responsible, leading the actor to go into hiding for a short time afterwards.[7][5][6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Man With the Golden Gun had one of the greatest car stunts ever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The actor who played Goldfinger was named Gert B. Frobe. Christopher Walken's character in 'Joe Dirt' was renamed Gert B. Frobe after the FBI moved him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
Sheesh- I thought everybody caught that reference. How can anyone forget a name like "Gert B. Frobe"?

*internet fist bump*

Moonraker was on a while back- I had to watch it, even though it's probably the worst Bond movie...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Thunderball is my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#40]
They're classics.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Watch them in order, from the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
87x better than Skyfall.  
View Quote
Sean Connery 87 X all other bonds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Poll fail no option for first and last pick together.
Grew up on Roger Moore and he is the best bond from the old days, yes better then Sean Connery.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's boob flashes in several of the old movies. There's a scene at the start of Thunderball that has Connery wrestling with a girl on the beach. Her top comes loose, and you can see her boobs in a few frames.

ETA: It isn't Thunderball, I just finished watching it. It's one of the other Connery movies. I'll update when I find it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#46]
James Bond was my dude in my childhood years

Dr. No
Gold finger
A view to a kill
Live and let die
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Then he throws a toaster in the bathtub and walks away saying "shocking."

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like James Bond movies. I greatly,greatly dislike the modern action movies that just use the name.
View Quote
I think we just became best friends.  The new Bonds are great movies......if they didn't try to shoe horn James Bond 007 into them.  Taken as a trilogy of some random spy it would be killer!  I equate the new Bonds to the chick ghostbusters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Sean Connery was awesome as Bond.  Old movies are a hoot.     ....and....  Ursula Andress!!!!!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top