Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2017 10:41:43 AM EDT
I would have to assume yes. But is this true?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The ones in stock are lower end. When I worked at Lowe's several years ago the John Deere mowers with the Kawasaki engines had to be ordered. I would assume the dealer would have them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My D160 from Lowes was setup by a local Deere dealer, with a dealer sticker on it. They had to order it, so I don't know if that matters. I couldn't justify an X series, much I wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Dealer has service and repair, that matters to me.
I don't buy any outdoor stuff from box stores.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I cant say for lawn mowers..... but there is a big difference in products sold by say, Walmart, and sold by other dealers. my examples are fishing reels and rifle scopes.  years ago, my dad took his old school reel to be repaired locally.   the guy got into a rant about the crap sold at Walmart, vs other dealers. he had two identical reels, one sold by Walmart, and the other sold thru other dealers.  the Walmart reel had some gears that were plastic, and the other reels had the same gears made out of brass for example.... same thing for some scopes, they use a cheaper part when possible to get under walmarts price point.    shotguns, at one time, the Walmart version had a plastic follower, while gun shop guns were getting metal follower plugs..

so, id say yes... a big box product, could easily be less well built than the same item at the dealer. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Dealers carry the higher end stuff, big box stores carry the lower consumer grade models.

One is built better than the other, but all of them are built by John Deere.

MTD does NOT make the bigbox/consumer grade stuff.  John Deere makes their own stuff, anybody saying differently is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a difference, but you cannot buy the really good stuff at the big box.......

My father just bought a new X739.......sweeeeeet
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes and no.

The Lowes ones are actually stocked from local dealers.   When you receive your JD it actually comes directly from a stocking dealer who already is covering the services... not the big box stores.

The big box stores are basically broker sellers... you can't even take the mower home with you (at least you're not supposed to be able to), they have to deliver it and set it up.

My D Series was delivered by Weingartz and warrantied by them directly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I cant say for lawn mowers..... but there is a big difference in products sold by say, Walmart, and sold by other dealers. my examples are fishing reels and rifle scopes.  years ago, my dad took his old school reel to be repaired locally.   the guy got into a rant about the crap sold at Walmart, vs other dealers. he had two identical reels, one sold by Walmart, and the other sold thru other dealers.  the Walmart reel had some gears that were plastic, and the other reels had the same gears made out of brass for example.... same thing for some scopes, they use a cheaper part when possible to get under walmarts price point.    shotguns, at one time, the Walmart version had a plastic follower, while gun shop guns were getting metal follower plugs..

so, id say yes... a big box product, could easily be less well built than the same item at the dealer. YMMV
View Quote
Not true in the case of JD.

A D110 is a D110.

The difference is HD doesn't sell shit like X series tractors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they have the same SKU they are the same thing.

The whole "but walmart adds water into the jugs of milk or walmart gives you 10 less skittles per bag" type shit is nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]
It's the same mower.  I bought from the dealer in hopes it would get me better service treatment than the guy who bought it from Lowe's or hd.  It's out of warranty now, so I guess I'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The main difference is the box store models are riding lawn mowers and the dealer models are garden tractors (unless you got suckered into buying an x300 then you bought an overpriced lawn mower). The difference is in the transmission. Riding mowers are meant for flat terrain and they are not recommended for ground attachments, heavy towing, or plowing due to their weaker transmissions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy crap you could buy five Home Depot John Deere riding mower's for the price of one X7...series. I can't believe someone would pay $11,000 for a simple riding mower no matter what it does.

At that price point you can buy a hell of a nice used real tractor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
My dad replaced his cub cadet lawn tractor with a JD after he ran it over with his actual tractor. 

Hes pretty pissed with it. Forget the model but he hates it. Think he paid around $4k for it. Says the little cadet runs circles around it. I'll ask him the model. I know he wants to sell it! 

Eta: it's an x320. Think he got it at the end of last season. Say the club cadet that cost 1/3 of the price is twice the tractor the deer is. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dealers carry the higher end stuff, big box stores carry the lower consumer grade models.

MTD does NOT make the bigbox/consumer grade stuff.  John Deere makes their own stuff, anybody saying differently is retarded.
View Quote
MTD has made sure for them in the past. All the cheap consumer grade mowers are more or less the same no matter whose name is on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
A couple years ago I bought a Cub Cadet from a "box" store.After a few months and about 30 hours on it,it developed an oil leak.I took it to a dealer and he fixed it under warranty and it was back home in 3 days.All I had to do was show my receipt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#19]
They make them on the same line as the Colt 6920's that are specifically made for walmart. So lower quality and more fit and finish issues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy crap you could buy five Home Depot John Deere riding mower's for the price of one X7...series. I can't believe someone would pay $11,000 for a simple riding mower no matter what it does.

View Quote
If you need the capabilities of the X7 you couldn't get the job done with a Home Depot mower and if you're buying and X7 to do nothing but mow a suburban lot you're a retard.

It's like saying "you could buy 5 KIAs for the price of one Ram 3500 diesel"...Well, if you need to plow snow or tow a 30 ft boat a KIA isn't going to get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're damn expensive, but on a X750 you're talking about a Diesel 25HP riding mower with a 60" deck and a 3 point hitch.

It's sure as hell a lot more than a D110, but it's not a D110.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are two different x300s...The "old one" like I have (bought mine in 2010 IIRC) and the new one.  The old ones were "lawn and garden tractors".  The new ones are not as good as mine.  They have and use different features, even down to the deck belts.  Both are still better than the D110.  I only wish I had been able to get a bigger deck than the 42" (when I bought only a 38" and 42" were offered).
View Quote
Not true. Your 2010 JD X300 uses a TuffTorq K46 transmission which is the same transmission that's on most box store mowers equipped with a hydrostatic transmission. Yes it is built better than a D series and yes it has the awesome Kawasaki motor but it is still just a riding mower and no capabilities beyond the D series or a $1500 Craftsman.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I dunno.   Kinda wondering this myself...

about 2-2.5 years ago, I bought a 52" Hustler Raptor Zero Turn Rider from Lowes as they were one of my only options within a 45 min drive...

Since then the Deck/Linkage that adjust the cutting height has broken or came apart twice, dropping the deck to where it would drag the ground.

Lowe's doesn't service anything.  So I had to look around a bit, and I was referred too a small place that sells and services Hustler as well as other Outdoor gear all the way up to Full Size tractors and other Farm implements.

They had all different models that Lowes had and said the units at Lowes are OK, but they are not designed for as heavy of use...  Frames and Decks are thicker, Wheel/Tires bigger, etc...  He showed me 2-3 models that were the same cutting size as mine, but obviously heavier duty models.  I'd have spent a bit more and got a lot more mower if I had realized...    
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes and no.

The Lowes ones are actually stocked from local dealers.   When you receive your JD it actually comes directly from a stocking dealer who already is covering the services... not the big box stores.

The big box stores are basically broker sellers... you can't even take the mower home with you (at least you're not supposed to be able to), they have to deliver it and set it up.

My D Series was delivered by Weingartz and warrantied by them directly.
View Quote
While true, you may be at the back of the line when it matters at the shop though.
Iv'e seen people told 2 week and they'll be contacted when it's ready, meanwhile I have been asked to wait 15-20 minutes while my saw or trimmer is repaired immediately.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dunno.   Kinda wondering this myself...

about 2-2.5 years ago, I bought a 52" Hustler Raptor Zero Turn Rider from Lowes as they were one of my only options within a 45 min drive...

Since then the Deck/Linkage that adjust the cutting height has broken or came apart twice, dropping the deck to where it would drag the ground.

Lowe's doesn't service anything.  So I had to look around a bit, and I was referred too a small place that sells and services Hustler as well as other Outdoor gear all the way up to Full Size tractors and other Farm implements.

They had all different models that Lowes had and said the units at Lowes are OK, but they are not designed for as heavy of use...  Frames and Decks are thicker, Wheel/Tires bigger, etc...  He showed me 2-3 models that were the same cutting size as mine, but obviously heavier duty models.  I'd have spent a bit more and got a lot more mower if I had realized...    
View Quote
Yeah that's really the whole story right there.  Model for model they're the same, but when the most expensive ZT at Lowes is like $3k, that's a clue.  

The conspiracy theory is that a D110 from a John Deere Dealer is better than a D110 from Big Box isn't true.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MTD has made sure for them in the past. All the cheap consumer grade mowers are more or less the same no matter whose name is on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If MTD ever made  a JD mower, it wasn't within the last 15 years.  I know that for a fact.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not true. Your 2010 JD X300 uses a TuffTorq K46 transmission which is the same transmission that's on most box store mowers equipped with a hydrostatic transmission. Yes it is built better than a D series and yes it has the awesome Kawasaki motor but it is still just a riding mower and no capabilities beyond the D series or a $1500 Craftsman.
View Quote
Yes the X3's have TuffTorq transmissions. No they're not the same as most mowers in box box stores.

The X3's have greater capabilities, more features, and inherently different performance than the D series. There's much more to the X3's.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes the X3's have TuffTorq transmissions. No they're not the same as most mowers in box box stores.

The X3's have greater capabilities, more features, and inherently different performance than the D series. There's much more to the X3's.
View Quote
Wrong. The X300 model uses the k46. I'm only referring to the X300 not the entire 300-series lineup.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know there is a difference in the steel, my company makes steel for many of the dealer models but none of the cheaper ones are on our paper work, maybe a different supplier IDK
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you need the capabilities of the X7 you couldn't get the job done with a Home Depot mower and if you're buying and X7 to do nothing but mow a suburban lot you're a retard.

It's like saying "you could buy 5 KIAs for the price of one Ram 3500 diesel"...Well, if you need to plow snow or tow a 30 ft boat a KIA isn't going to get the job done.
View Quote
I mow 1.5 acres with a JD 2305...  

I also plow my (short) driveway with it and such.

Way over kill.

Handy when the ex gf used to drive me around in the bucket as I hung lights up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wrong. The X300 model uses the k46. I'm only referring to the X300 not the entire 300-series lineup.
View Quote
I suppose specifics matter in this conversation.

The K46 is a series of transaxle offered by TuffTorq built to specifications designated by OEM manufacturers. Varying companies rely on TuffTorq in varying levels when designing transaxles for their products.

Stating that the K46 in the x300 is the same K46 as all other tractors is incorrect. I suppose whatever expierience you substantiate your assumption with is convincing enough for you to repeat so I'll leave it be and share mine.

TuffTorq manufactures dozens of K46's and while the family of transaxle is the same - the quality and reliability of each different K46 is dependent on important factors such as the seals, gears, and a plethora of varying design considerations uniqely specified and validated by the OEM in application.

Today, the x330-x354 use variants of the K46 while the x370 makes the leap to the K57 transaxle.

If you ask a JD dealer to look up part numbers for several transaxles you'll find more than one K46 in the system.

From a capability standpoint, your usage of a tractor may determine that a D100 is no more capable than an X330. Heck if you use the tractor as a garage ornament, collecting dust while preventing you from parking that second car in the garage, then this would be true. However for many folks getting behind the wheel and cutting grass find the x330 to offer a different expierience than the D100 - it's all dependent on how, why, where, and for how long you use the tractor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#33]
John Deere . My dealet screwed up the assembly of my mower . They had it back every time I used it for breaking belts.I fixed it myself after getting a copy of the set up instructions from them and a special tool. They convinced me to never buy another one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I suppose specifics matter in this conversation.

The K46 is a series of transaxle offered by TuffTorq built to specifications designated by OEM manufacturers. Varying companies rely on TuffTorq in varying levels when designing transaxles for their products.

Stating that the K46 in the x300 is the same K46 as all other tractors is incorrect. I suppose whatever expierience you substantiate your assumption with is convincing enough for you to repeat so I'll leave it be and share mine.

TuffTorq manufactures dozens of K46's and while the family of transaxle is the same - the quality and reliability of each different K46 is dependent on important factors such as the seals, gears, and a plethora of varying design considerations uniqely specified and validated by the OEM in application.

Today, the x330-x354 use variants of the K46 while the x370 makes the leap to the K57 transaxle.

If you ask a JD dealer to look up part numbers for several transaxles you'll find more than one K46 in the system.

From a capability standpoint, your usage of a tractor may determine that a D100 is no more capable than an X330. Heck if you use the tractor as a garage ornament, collecting dust while preventing you from parking that second car in the garage, then this would be true. However for many folks getting behind the wheel and cutting grass find the x330 to offer a different expierience than the D100 - it's all dependent on how, why, where, and for how long you use the tractor.
View Quote
The X330 feels better because it's built better and rides on a garden tractor frame. A K46 in a John Deere X3** is no better than a K46 in a Craftsman. The different part numbers are for things like the linkage setup. None of them are recommended for ground attachments, hills, or heavy towing and they all have the same torque spec. A K46 equipped X3** has zero capability beyond a D or LT series Deere.

If you still think the K46 X3** is anything but a lawn mower head over to mytractorforum and read the 100's of threads saying exactly what I said.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If they have the same SKU they are the same thing.

The whole "but walmart adds water into the jugs of milk or walmart gives you 10 less skittles per bag" type shit is nonsense.
View Quote
But there are specific SKU's for certain guns, for example, that are an exclusive for certain big box retailers. It will carry the same model number on the barrel, for example, but the SKU is unique to the store. So you have to ask yourself why it has a different SKU. Is it just because that store offers a unique stock color or stock material? Or are the internals' specs changed to reach a price point.

I am suspicious that store exclusives with a unique SKU could have corners cut so that the store can do Christmas sale or hunting season blowouts on them and still preserve some margin even at the sale price.

The problem is the SKU's are not marked on the gun itself so it would take an inquiry on the serial number if you bought a gun used to find out if it's the "normal" model or the "exclusive" model.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The X7 is more of a subcompact tractor than a normal lawn or garden tractor. Many people love having a warranty. $11,000 is well out of my price range for my mower needs but it's not that much considering the price of new pickups, ATVs, boats, motorcycles, etc. Sadly, the X7 series will likely have the less amount of depreciation then those other things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Kubota BX Series

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The X330 feels better because it's built better and rides on a garden tractor frame. A K46 in a John Deere X3** is no better than a K46 in a Craftsman. The different part numbers are for things like the linkage setup. None of them are recommended for ground attachments, hills, or heavy towing and they all have the same torque spec. A K46 equipped X3** has zero capability beyond a D or LT series Deere.

If you still think the K46 X3** is anything but a lawn mower head over to mytractorforum and read the 100's of threads saying exactly what I said.
View Quote
[facepalm]

If your assumptions are founded on hundreds of threads from an Internet forum then I suppose I can't blame you. Heck I fall into that situation with things I read here ... but just because hundreds of folks collectively achieve the same opinion doesn't make the collective opinion factual.

Unless I was dreaming of my time at the table with design engineers from TuffTorq I'm not making any assumptions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Bought the x350 with 48" deck.  List was 3600, got it for 2,800 plus tax.  I have about 1.5 acre and it seems like a good mower.  I bought it from a new JD store that had just opened.  I don't think I would have paid full price for it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

[facepalm]

If your assumptions are founded on hundreds of threads from an Internet forum then I suppose I can't blame you. Heck I fall into that situation with things I read here ... but just because hundreds of folks collectively achieve the same opinion doesn't make the collective opinion factual.

Unless I was dreaming of my time at the table with design engineers from TuffTorq I'm not making any assumptions.
View Quote
Lol. Do you work for JD or are desperately defending your purchase? I'm sorry but I'll say it again. If you bought a K46 equipped X3** from JD you got sold a $3000+ lawn mower and nothing more. That mower cannot do anything but mow grass and this is stated by both JD and TuffTorq...therefore... It's not a garden tractor.

Show me data that the K46 transmission in an X3** is magically better than the K46 sold in nearly every box store mower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top