Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
Friend was shooting his new AR15 and a random guy came over and said it was a cool rifle.

My friend said thanks and the guy started wanting to chat. He said he had a 1911 but had to sell it, but now wants to get an AK.

Guy then proceeded to tell us about some friend of his from Mexico that brought an "automatic" to shoot one time and how he thought full-auto guns were illegal.

The guy left, and me and my friend both looked at each other and said 'WTF was that?'

Why would you just go about telling random people about a possible illegal machine gun?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump stock

Actually sounds quite mild for public range derp
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Would this guy know a full auto if it hit him in the head???
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Be was trying to be cool and/or he has no idea wtf he’s talking about.

Or.

He’s crazy
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Try working retail at a gun shop. Tons of people will tell you about how the filed the firing pin down to make a machine gun within two minutes of meeting them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would this guy know a full auto if it hit him in the head???
View Quote
You dropped your assault rifle clip
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Weird guy at the range..........unpossible !!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi fellow gun enthusiast.

Either a weirdo or he was looking to do something illegal or arrest someone for something illegal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
If that's your definition of "Weird Gun Range Guy", you need to get out more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like the standard guy you see at the range, gun shop, or gun show.  Meaning, yes, weird
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I weirded you two out, you seemed like sociable guys.........
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
" Weird guy at the gun range...."

Just one ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just one ?
View Quote
Beat by 1 minute.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I go to a small remote range in Vermont.
When you pay your membership you are given the code to the padlocked gate.
It's $30.00 a year for a membership.
A couple of years ago a guy rides by on a Harley and parks outside the gate.
I was alone and  shooting a heavy bolt action rifle that day and didn't have any pistols with me.
The guy starts motioning me to come to the gate.
I walk up to the gate thinking that the lock may be stuck or something.
He says he's new to the area and is asking questions about the range.
I give him all the info about the range and where he has to go to a local sporting goods store to purchase his membership.
In the end he starts asking me if I could give him the code, which I refuse to do.
It starts getting weird but fortunately a border patrol agent came by who is also a member and the guy left.

Since then I always carry a pistol when going there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I bet almost anybody here could come up with a weirder story at the gun range than yours.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
strange people at the gun range? You dont say....  Most of them are harmless.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I go to a small remote range in Vermont.
When you pay your membership you are given the code to the padlocked gate.
It's $30.00 a year for a membership.
A couple of years ago a guy rides by on a Harley and parks outside the gate.
I was alone and  shooting a heavy bolt action rifle that day and didn't have any pistols with me.
The guy starts motioning me to come to the gate.
I walk up to the gate thinking that the lock may be stuck or something.
He says he's new to the area and is asking questions about the range.
I give him all the info about the range and where he has to go to a local sporting goods store to purchase his membership.
In the end he starts asking me if I could give him the code, which I refuse to do.
It starts getting weird but fortunately a border patrol agent came by who is also a member and the guy left.

Since then I always carry a pistol when going there.
View Quote
The private club I belonged to for years was in kind of an out of the way place, and had a similar code-access gate as you describe.

Since I used to shoot there a lot during the off hours (non peak times, i.e., not weekends) I was often there alone.

The club had a rule that you were not allowed to have any loaded guns forward of the firing line when going downrange to check/change targets, etc.

It was the one rule I did not obey - as I ALWAYS had my CCW piece on me when I was there.

Now as far as public ranges go - oh hell yeah, the OPs story is pretty tame.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
First time at a public range?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try working retail at a gun shop. Tons of people will tell you about how the filed the firing pin down to make a machine gun within two minutes of meeting them.
View Quote
Yeah but at public range they can tell you stupid shit AND SHOW IT TO YOU TOO !!

3x 20-30yo guys showed up last time.   Fired a full auto ak47.  
In this case the safest place to be is the spot ak47 is aiming at, cause he didn't hit shit, and it was literally an expanding cone from his position. 
Complete waste of ammo.

Also I cant tell you how many times people have come up to me and handed me their pistol with out me asking.   WHOA, I do not want to be responsible for your $1500 pistol !
No I dont want to shoot it either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why would you just go about telling random people about a possible illegal machine gun?
View Quote

That... was your big take-away from that encounter?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Eh, I've had some guy tell me that my wasr10 was built by enslaved children.

I told him I thought they did a pretty good job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol, didn't Colion Noir just do a video about range personalities?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the reasons I like my private range. It's usually pretty dead and most people stick to themselves. The couple people that did engage in conversation turned out to be ok though. Now the Wildlife Management Area ranges can get interesting though...
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bump stock

View Quote
Yeah, once a week someone comes in my shop and tells me all you have to do is file down a pin to make a full auto.

This week "that guy" ask me if I was going to "round off" the AR upper I was putting a KeyMod rail on. "All you gotta do is round off that pin and it will shoot full auto."

Morans
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Friend was shooting his new AR15 and a random guy came over and said it was a cool rifle.

My friend said thanks and the guy started wanting to chat. He said he had a 1911 but had to sell it, but now wants to get an AK.

Guy then proceeded to tell us about some friend of his from Mexico that brought an "automatic" to shoot one time and how he thought full-auto guns were illegal.

The guy left, and me and my friend both looked at each other and said 'WTF was that?'

View Quote

People.
Generally speaking, they're not very smart.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#26]
The weirdest thing I ever had happen was an Italian guy on a business trip was shooting a 9mm in the lane next to me wanted to shoot my .357 magnum.

Not really that bad I suppose, then again I usually shoot on a private closed range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I was at the range a few weeks ago, asked a guy with a couple full autos and several silencers if he was a member of the NRA, was trying to get signatures for the arfccom guys board of director petitions.  

Guy proceeds to tell me he is not a member of the NRA.  He hates being on lists.  Lists make him uncomfortable.  When you join the NRA that is how you get on lists.  No thanks, no interest in being on anybodies list.

He turned around and proceeded to shoot his full auto's and silencers.  I said ok it's cool.

This is an in town indoor range, was a family shoot night.  We had been talking with the guy all night and he was a very nice guy.  Wasn't just a random walk up with hey you got guns will you sign this.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit, all you have to do is file down the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Beat by 1 minute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one ?
Beat by 1 minute.
Closer to 2.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#30]
BATF
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bump stock

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I like it when the yankees come down. I'm at a private range I  RO at sometimes for special events. There's one guy at the bench shooting as I walk out to shoot a SBR with a suppressor on it.

His first words were. That guns illegal. I look at him and say whattt. I've never seen this guy before, been going to this range for 20 yrs. He walks over and in an asshole authoritative voice says. That gun you have there is illegal.

I said maybe for you but not for me.  He says you cant be shooting that here it's illegal

By then I'm pissed and say look buddy get out of my face. You don't have any idea what your talking about. So back the F away from me and get out of my face.

If the guy had been cool about it I'd explained Florida's a gun friendly state and that these were registered and that he could do buy these also now.  But he was not friendly. Must have been from NJ or NY city.

Anyways he turns grabs his gear and heads for the office. As he grabs his gear I rip loose with the weapon with the binary trigger. This guy is freaking

Watched him screaming at my buddy at office and pointing at me. Then stand there with dumb look on his face as Chris read him the right act. Not to screw with members.

He walked to his truck threw his crap in and left.

I thought this guy was going to try to grab me at one point. That would have been very bad for him. I had to tell him to back away from me and mind his own damn business. He came over to within 4 ft of me bitching I was breaking the law. That's when he went to the office. He might have been a retired cop from NJ

As a matter of fact I believe I did tell him they were registered when he first mentioned they were illegal. I expected him to ask me how to go about gettiing them. But he didn't he ignored me. When I told him they were not illegal for me to own.

I should have told him just to piss off up front and stay the hell away from me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
All Tranny Friend guy trying to lure you in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Sigh

Cool
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Weird guy at the range..........unpossible !!!
View Quote
Eggsactly,

I wouldn’t over think such encounters, I usually say, cool, well good talkin to ya. and forget it ever happened
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Had a guy next to me one time tell me that he wasn't a recreational shooter or shooting for pleasure -- that he only came to the range to check the zero on his rifles because some shit had gone down in his life.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#37]
If this is the best weird guy story you could come up with I'd say you're doing just fine there. 
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bet almost anybody here could come up with a weirder story at the gun range than yours.
View Quote
Yep. I had a LE, next to me, at the range pop off a round into the ceiling above me. He leaned around the divider and said "sorry 'bout that. It's ok, I'm a police offer". I responded "no, it's not ok. Learn how to handle a f-ing firearm!".
I immediately packed up told the RO that this clown was shooting into the ceiling.
It's sad that we have to watch out for weirdos and idiots when we're at a range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Stay Woke
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much this. People tell all sorts of BS stories. Just to seem cool I guess.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most people are full of shit and want to impress people.

Probably throw out 3-4 people a year out of our shop talking about illegal machine guns .

The look on their face is priceless when they realize you are serious.

Hate to be a dick but have had 2 ATF visits over the years about people running their suck with BS machine gun stories , so those guys can get fucked 
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Then stand there with dumb look on his face as Chris read him the right riot act. Not to screw with members.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#45]
weird dudes handgun.

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately you do run into all kinds in this sport.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then stand there with dumb look on his face as Chris read him the right riot act. Not to screw with members.
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top