Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2017 2:47:04 PM EDT
I got some unusual wooden ammo, anyone know anything about them?  They look like 7.62x39

-------Update-------------------------------

So I took the ammo to the range and shot them.  Basically nothing comes out of the barrel other than wood powder.  I could not get anything to print on paper as at a range of 3 feet, the blast would just blow the targets off.  The rounds would not cycle the action, so it's pretty weak.

I pulled one of the rounds, and I see that the wood bullet is hollow like a minie ball.  So as soon as the round it fired, the blast would just disintegrate the round before even leaving the barrel.  

Other than noise makers, I think I will mix these rounds in with my mags during training, so that I can induce random stoppages in my AK or 556R.

I'm a little sad that these can't be used as vampire rounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no info... but I am very interested in the replies!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen that advertised before. Finnish (?) practice cartridges.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
G3 training ammo. Needs a special bolt group

Ha, didn't even notice it was 7.62*39.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Vampire killin ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Practice ammo for short range.  Not very accurate. They are very dangerous when fired from close range.  
Many years ago they used to be pretty common and they were made in E. Germany but I'm sure other Eastern Bloc countries made them too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Blanks - usually goes with an attachment to the barrel to shred the wooden projo before leaving the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some very old 1890-1900s ammo with wooden tip. Mine are 45-70 I believe
I have read they were training rounds.

In for answer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to o-pine but I wooden know what to say.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
excellent
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Training ammo
Can be loaded with new powder and bullet
Splinters after about ten yards
Used with an adapter because dumbass troops would shoot each other with them
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Finn blanks. 

I've pulled a bunch of wood bullet blanks to reuse the primed berdan cases.  (Mostly in 6.5x55 to shoot out of an AG42 that mangles brass).

I wouldn't bother in 7.62x39mm.  I'd thrown them on gunbroker and sell them to a collector.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Lead shortage. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Vampire killin ammo.
View Quote
Excellent.  But I'd be concerned that they'd pass through and not stay in the heart.  Which would only piss a vampire off big time.

These are in a nice and complete 20 round box.  I hate to break them up, but I just want to do something stupid like shoot them up in the air on new years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vampire killin ammo.
View Quote
Through the heart.  

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Excellent. But I'd be concerned that they'd pass through and not stay in the heart.  Which would only piss a vampire off big time.

These are in a nice and complete 20 round box.  I hate to break them up, but I just want to do something stupid like shoot them up in the air on new years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vampire killin ammo.
Excellent. But I'd be concerned that they'd pass through and not stay in the heart.  Which would only piss a vampire off big time.

Everybody knows that wooden ammo is designed to tumble and stay in the body to cause more damage.

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
someone had them forsale not to long ago, something like 4500 rds for $80, almost bought some but shipping was close to $100
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, it's wood.

Cool find op.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Everybody knows that wooden ammo is designed to tumble and stay in the body to cause more damage.

View Quote
.303 Mk. VII ball does have a wood or paper pulp tip (aluminum in some variants), which did result in it acting erratically after entering the body.

The wood/pulp was sterilized, though, because we wouldn't want you to get an infection after we shoot you, old chap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top