Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked it.  Yes long but it was interesting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from seeing it. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend it.

They actually developed the story further from the first movie. I'm going to have to go back and re-read Philip K. Dick's novel again in light of this movie. I think it might be interesting.

If you liked the original Bladerunner, then you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tell that to all the people that didn't go watch it.
View Quote
More than a few classics have cratered at the box office.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There will be more Transformers movies soon enough.
View Quote
Haven't seen a transformers movie except for the first one.  BR 2049 would have been a good 90 min to 120 min movie, but editing is a lost art.  I'd hate to see the deleted scenes from this one, if there are any...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WIRED is sad that Blade Runner 2049 doesn't address racial or gender politics
lol
Yeah, no bigotry issues in the film. <snort>
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Havent seen it. Do you reccomend?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, did you see/like Arrival?
Havent seen it. Do you reccomend?
Same director.

Great flick.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was such a beautifully shot movie too. The use of colors and framing of shots was outstanding. Of course I knew this was going to be the case when Denis Villeneuve joined production and I am super glad they let him do his thing. Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival are some of my favorite movies from the last 10 years and I cant wait to see what Villeneuve does next.
View Quote
Roger Deakins was the Director of Photography.

Literally one of the best DPs alive today:

Sicario
No Country for Old Men
Unbroken
Skyfall
True Grit
Revolutionary Road
Jarhead
The Village
A Beautiful Mind
Shawshank Redemption
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just saw it last night and enjoyed it.

As for the lack of gender/racial politics, I would have thought the interspecies conflict between humans and replicants would make SJWs happy.

I also thought it was interesting how Luv destroys the virtual girlfriend - who has obviously reached self-awareness. Replicants blithely destroying another evolving intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Psssttt.. No one wants to see your movie.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
This will be a cult classic too though I doubt we'll see anymore sequels. A film based closer on the book would be a better decision, there is a lot in the book that was cut from the film adaptation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The first movie was a snooze-fest.  Won't waste time/money seeing this one. And no, a lot of action does not a good movie make. Take for instance dumbarse movies like "Shoot 'em Up," "Smokin' Aces," "Bad Boys" (Will Smith stinker, not the Esau Morales movie), or "Equilibrium." Also, the last few "Die Hard" sequels have been crap with action sequences that were obviously put in only for gratuitous reasons just to spice up the lame/boring plots.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As for the lack of gender/racial politics, I would have thought the interspecies conflict between humans and replicants would make SJWs happy.

I also thought it was interesting how Luv destroys the virtual girlfriend - who has obviously reached self-awareness. Replicants blithely destroying another evolving intelligence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, so much for 2036 Nexus Dawn discussed safeguards to protect humans. Luv is a lyin', killing hate machine. Made in her maker's image. Nothing interferes with the drive for the new utopia. And the "new man".
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw it over the weekend.  It' was slow moving and felt like it was hour too long.   Thought the story was interesting but the execution was meh...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The movie is worth one more post in this thread.

No, its not an action movie. It places you squarely into the world in which it is set, using amazingly haunting music, visuals and character bulding to get you there. If you are a fan of the original, as I am then I say you *should* enjoy it. That is not to say there are no flaws but overall, not enough to nitpick it to death. For the people behind it to even take on such a task as make this sequel showed so much balls, and they delivered,  bigtime. It pays homage to the original and also stands on its own.

The original Blade Runner had a profound effect on me, and so did this one. It was a long movie but I wish it was longer.  I woke up today and it was still in my head.

Its up there as one of the finest pieces of filmmaking in my lifetime, and its no surprise that its box office sales are slow, much like the original which was way ahead of its time and is now recognized as the icon that it is.

I have serious doubts about your taste and intellectual abilities if you say that this is a bad movie, but I guess for those people, Hollywood will always have another product that is your speed. Fast &Furious, Transformers, etc. Its a shit buffet for the idiocracy, so belly up to it.

I suck at movie reviews.
View Quote
Thats a pretty decent review.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried to watch the first one but couldn't get into it and gave up. Maybe I'll try again sometime.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep. As I recall, the original BR didn't do as well as hoped in theaters, but developed a cult following. "Casablanca" was originally viewed as an unremarkable movie, just one of 50 the studio was cranking out that year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to all the people that didn't go watch it.
More than a few classics have cratered at the box office.
Yep. As I recall, the original BR didn't do as well as hoped in theaters, but developed a cult following. "Casablanca" was originally viewed as an unremarkable movie, just one of 50 the studio was cranking out that year.
The Shawshank Redemption bombed at the box office and is now considered one of the top 10 films of all time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
And every marvel movie one ups the last in money made, yet 90% of them are shallower than a pond.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
The first one did bad, but still gained a cult following. And is now considered a great film by many critics.

Shawshank Redemption, a movie on many people's "best movies ever" list, did pretty bad at the Box Office.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen it twice so far.  Noticed things the second time I didn't pick up the first time.  So many wonderful moments in this film.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Movie was pretty good.

Theatre was SO DAMN LOUD that I couldn't hear myself think, "Damn, this movie theatre is LOUD".
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's got a bunch of underlying themes to it. Moreso than the first I think. That Wallace guy is fucking sick. God Complex sick.
View Quote

Bingo!  He's a psychopath with a God complex.  The scene with the "new" replicant deeply disturbed me.  I was literally squirming and if I had eaten much before the movie I might have gotten sick at that part.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I loved the original Blade Runner--have the gun, the briefcase edition of the movie, the spinner from hot wheels from 1982, etc... and I thought Blade Runner 2049 was, okay. A couple of things I didn't like...Click To View Spoiler It was okay. Deckard was a human all along, just as the actor and director agreed to when they filmed the original, only after Scott reimagined his vision years later, did he change his mind. I asked my self, how many lines of 2049 could I remember compared to 2019, not many. I'll watch it again, but after it comes out on bluray.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I was deeply moved and impressed by Blade Runner 2049.  I suspect that my feelings are influenced on multiple levels by where I am in life right now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Spoilered AF
View Quote
Throw a spoiler tag on there, will you chief?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Noooooppppeeee
Boring, pretentious shitty movie. 1 hours too long. The first move was pure genius. This is like the class idiot copying what the smart kid did... like a moron with a box of crayons in front of the Mona Lisa.
And just to confirm this you have the fake ass Rotten Tomatoes rating dropping for this movie, sinking like the turd it is.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
@Luopo you wanna spoiler-box that shit, please?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Hampton Fancher wrote both movies.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Yeah, that's what happens when you make a movie not catered to 10 year olds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And every marvel movie one ups the last in money made, yet 90% of them are shallower than a pond.
View Quote
The Fast and The Furious movies rake in billions from the "OMG IT SPINS!" crowd.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
This will break all box office records:

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hampton Fancher wrote both movies.
View Quote
Hampton Fancher optioned the book from Phillip Dick and wrote the first draft of the screenplay and tried to make it into a boring dismal Kafkaesque art-house boredom fest.

so they fired him and david peoples re-wrote the script

but Fancher got his revenge and ruined the sequel instead

the thin, threadbare plot of BR2049 is so absurd and full of holes that it's amazing

and it's dismal and full of pointless, throwaway cruelty

the people that liked this movie are going to claim the high ground, say that the people who disliked it wanted to see "the fast and furious"

but in truth the movie has little plot and what is has is corny and pretentious and bleak

with a good script, it could have been fantastic

what a waste
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hampton Fancher optioned the book from Phillip Dick and wrote the first draft of the screenplay and tried to make it into a boring dismal Kafkaesque art-house boredom fest.

but Fancher got his revenge and ruined the sequel instead

the thin, threadbare plot of BR2049 is so absurd and full of holes that it's amazing

and it's dismal and full of pointless, throwaway cruelty

the people that liked this movie are going to claim the high ground, say that the people who disliked it wanted to see "the fast and furious"

but in truth the movie has little plot and what is has is corny and pretentious and bleak

with a good script, it could have been fantastic

what a waste
View Quote
Well said.
A movie CAN be 3 hours long... if thats what it needs to tell the story. Just making a 3 hour long movie means youre a fucking idiot.
Then there's the retarded script, pretentious directing, copycat "Her" within. Even bad acting, other than past his peak Harrison Ford.
I have the suspicion that people that say they liked both movies didnt really understand the genious behind the 1982 Blade Runner and just went along to sound smart.
There's simply no comparing the too. Apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Noooooppppeeee
Boring, pretentious shitty movie. 1 hours too long. The first move was pure genius. This is like the class idiot copying what the smart kid did... like a moron with a box of crayons in front of the Mona Lisa.
And just to confirm this you have the fake ass Rotten Tomatoes rating dropping for this movie, sinking like the turd it is.
View Quote
Based on Scott's recent works. Blade Runner, Alien and Gladiator look like fucking lucky accidents.

Dont ever compare Ridley Scott to daVinci
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I love the original, and would have been thrilled about this, except that the lead was Ryan Gosling. That dude's just a nothing actor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love the original, and would have been thrilled about this, except that the lead was Ryan Gosling. That dude's just a nothing actor.
View Quote

I personally think he did fine with this role.  A replicant is supposed to have challenges with being emotionally stunted and awkward.  Made it all that much more convincing to me, together with the holographic wife/girlfriend.

Come to think of it...do we have replicant site members?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I personally think he did fine with this role.  A replicant is supposed to have challenges with being emotionally stunted and awkward.  Made it all that much more convincing to me, together with the holographic wife/girlfriend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he did well also.

He didn't have much of a personality, but was he designed to?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw it Sunday, and while I liked it I can see why people are complaining about it. It is a very deliberate movie, and its pacing / shot framing / use of sound cues is downright Bergman-esque. It is a very "european" movie in its presentation, and it begs a repeat viewing just to take it all in one more time. I liked the original Blade Runner and I always wondered what a sequel would look like... but I have to honestly say I was not really expecting... this. It is not a bad movie, and I actually liked it... but it definitely is someone's artistic vision that is not all that commercial "gee whiz" audience friendly.

I also knew it was going to underperform just based on the theater I was in. I had flashbacks of Ghost in the Shell's empty seats. I also don't know why but the theater I was in was patronized by some of the most autistic people I've ever seen in a theater. During the screening one guy kept getting up and walking around, talking to himself... and the people he was with (most likely his parents) kept having to wrangle him. And the two guys sitting uncomfortably next to me and my wife came in just as the movie was starting, sat down with each other stiff as boards (right next to us in a theater full of empty seats), then the second the film ended and the first credit came on screen they both got up like robots and marched out... never saying a single word to each other. Hell, the entire audience was flatline... just like when we saw Ghost in the Shell. No clapping, no talking... the second the credits were up everyone was getting the fuck out of dodge. Which made me think "wow, either everyone hated it or they are in shock from it".
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
While this was a good sequel it is in no way the greatest sequel in cinema.

It was a good movie but lacked the noir atmosphere and character development in the first movie.  Granted I haven't watched those youtube videos yet but they shouldn't be required.  There was enough extraneous footage in the movie character development could have been done better within the movie.

I did like Gosling's character and the movie wrapped up some story lines left unknown from the first movie.  Roy was a much better bad guy in the first movie and actually had a story to tell. They tried with that whole god speech by Wallace but it fell totally flat.  Yes a psychopath but no where as good a story line as Roy.

As for the atmosphere the sequel did not live up to the original dystopian society.  The first one the scenery  and music made the the movie. The second one lacked that completely except for a few shots, overly loud music and snow with a little rain.  It did not help tell the story as it did in the first one.  Even the crowd scenes were better in the first movie.

Oh and it lacked the whole narrative of Decker from the first movie.  I missed that in the sequel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I need to re-read 'Future Noir'.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
While this was a good sequel it is in no way the greatest sequel in cinema.

It was a good movie but lacked the noir atmosphere and character development in the first movie.  Granted I haven't watched those youtube videos yet but they shouldn't be required.  There was enough extraneous footage in the movie character development could have been done better within the movie.

I did like Gosling's character and the movie wrapped up some story lines left unknown from the first movie.  Roy was a much better bad guy in the first movie and actually had a story to tell. They tried with that whole god speech by Wallace but it fell totally flat.  Yes a psychopath but no where as good a story line as Roy.

As for the atmosphere the sequel did not live up to the original dystopian society.  The first one the scenery  and music made the the movie. The second one lacked that completely except for a few shots, overly loud music and snow with a little rain.  It did not help tell the story as it did in the first one.  Even the crowd scenes were better in the first movie.

Oh and it lacked the whole narrative of Decker from the first movie.  I missed that in the sequel.
View Quote
It was delivered a bit "clean". Not much ambiguity or angst. not much left to the imagination story wise.  It was just a cold point-by-point walk thru delivery. Appreciated the grandeur of the short walk thru of the Tyrell building tho.  The first, all you saw was two-three rooms.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought it was quite good. Some scenes dragged on but overall a great sequel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It was a great movie, SO much better than half the garbage the studios put out these days. I cannot believe its not doing better box office wise.
View Quote
Are you kidding? I thought it was the "Godfather Part II" of sci-fi movie sequels... and I expect it to crater, money wise

I walked out of the theater thinking, "Holy shit, that was fucking fantastic. It's going to bomb."

It will be a critical success, sci-fi fans will love it, and it will underperform at the box office.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#44]
One thought, if Deckard is human then Replicants need a human to procreate.
That would make Tyrell a protector of humanity

If Deckard is a replicant then Tyrell ensured humanity's demise
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you kidding? I thought it was the "Godfather Part II" of sci-fi movie sequels... and I expect it to crater, money wise

I walked out of the theater thinking, "Holy shit, that was fucking fantastic. It's going to bomb."

It will be a critical success, sci-fi fans will love it, and it will underperform at the box office.
View Quote

I can't remember the last movie you admitted liking.

Can someone go check the seventh seal?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#46]
It was one of the better attempts at making a long-awaited sequel.  It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was very good and furthered the story progression without destroying the Blade Runner world.

Some of the things I thought were done well and some of the negatives are in the spoiler box below since basically the entire plot of the movie is a spoiler...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
View Quote
View Quote
The movie was literally a story about slavery.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
Yeah, but it's full of white people, not trans wymyn of color.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#49]
They should have cast Rich Evans.  I thought he nailed the audition.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#50]
this video excellently explains why the idea of dekard being a replicant makes ZERO sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjfTktpIzg

the guy who wrote the book didn't think dekard was a replicant

the guy who wrote the original screenplay didn't think dekard was a replicant

the guy who played him in the movie didn't think that dekard was a replicant

the audiences who watched the first movie in the theater didn't think dekard was a replicant

because it makes no logical sense

and it makes no sense as a drama

it's just a stupid "nifty" idea that ridley scott glommed on to at some point

irritating
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top