Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer just Sauerkraut and spicy mustard on a boiled hotdog. +1 for the brick and mortar backdrop, +1 for the NFA. -.5 for the Remington. I like the Mossberg better. -.5 for not using a Thompson, "Chicago Typewriter" So an eleven for your. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chicago can’t make a pizza to save it’s life, but I do have to agree that they’ve nailed the hot dog. Best in the country, in my opinion. Absolute perfection. 

OP did well, to that end. 
View Quote
You probably assume that Chicago style pizza and deep dish pizza are the same thing?  They're not.

Everyone I know who hates Chicago style pizza does so because they hate deep dish. The truth is the best pies in Chicago aren't served at the deep dish joints they send tourists too. The best pies in Chicago are thin crust.

If every deep dish pizza joint in Chicago burnt to the ground tonight Chicago would still have some of the best pizza on the planet tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
When I win the Lotto, I am going to hop a flight to Chicago and go to Superdawg.   It is the only thing I miss about Chicago.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Detroit guys, when I was a young shitkicker (1988), I used to have to ride down to Fort Street every day to deliver wire transfers to the Fed for Standard Federal Bank. The old dude I rode with was an ex-cop named Jim Prill, and he used to take me to a diner down there with amazing coneys and a sandwich called the 'hammy whammy'--a shitload of hot ham on a bun with pickles and mustard. Can't remember the name of the diner to save my life, any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
THIS FUCKING THIS!

Been working on my chili sauce recipe for over 10 years.  It's close, but still not quite Coney Island.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I prefer just Sauerkraut and spicy mustard on a boiled hotdog. +1 for the brick and mortar backdrop, +1 for the NFA. -.5 for the Remington. I like the Mossberg better. -.5 for not using a Thompson, "Chicago Typewriter" So an eleven for your. 
View Quote
I believe it is a "firearm" not an NFA but very nice none the less.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You probably assume that Chicago style pizza and deep dish pizza are the same thing?  They're not.

Everyone I know who hates Chicago style pizza does so because they hate deep dish. The truth is the best pies in Chicago aren't served at the deep dish joints they send tourists too. The best pies in Chicago are thin crust.

If every deep dish pizza joint in Chicago burnt to the ground tonight Chicago would still have some of the best pizza on the planet tomorrow.
View Quote
So, which do you consider most representative of real Chicago Deep Dish?

This is the one I love, not too thick or doughy.  It's a golden brown buttery, slightly crispy and crunchy crust.

Chicago does do a decent pizza!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]
No. No salads on hot dogs.

Mustard
Chili
Onions
Cheese

No other toppings are acceptable on hot dogs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Worst regional hotdog type. Ever. 

Its a fuckin salad.
View Quote
Well, at least he didn't put ketchup on it.  I think.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Chicago dogs are the best but you can leave the neon green relish off mine. Honestly though - mustard and diced onions is all you really need.

When we go back to visit my folks we always stop at Gene & Judes for hot dogs and Johnnie's Beefs on North Ave.

Ketchup is a condiment for children. Leave that crap off.

New York hot dogs are OK as well but New York style pizza is like cardboard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Chicago dogs are the best but you can leave the neon green relish off mine. Honestly though - mustard and diced onions is all you really need.

When we go back to visit my folks we always stop at Gene & Judes for hot dogs and Johnnie's Beefs on North Ave.

Ketchup is a condiment for children. Leave that crap off.

New York hot dogs are OK as well but New York style pizza is like cardboard.
View Quote
LOL you didn't have NY pizza!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, which do you consider most representative of real Chicago Deep Dish?
http://www.savorytooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/deep-dish-pizza-whole-square2.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/FTgyzYNTKVzxhATBHjel-EfMb1Y=/0x0:5184x3456/1200x800/filters:focal(2178x1314:3006x2142)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56689797/8681910768_0a34756e07_o.0.jpg

This is the one I love, not too thick or doughy.  It's a golden brown buttery, slightly crispy and crunchy crust.
https://asset.homechef.com/uploads/meal/plated/2607/homechef_Chicago_Style_Deep_Dish_Reshoot_2__4_of_7_.jpg

Chicago does do a decent pizza!
Honestly, I dont care for the deep dish myself. I have had several examples from around the Chicago land area (where I grew up) and none stand out because I just don't like it that much.

And really, growing up, no one ate it regularly. It's kind of a novelty for tourists I think.  To be sure there are locals that love it but it's not like everyone in Chicago thinks "deep dish" when they think "pizza".

The thin crispy crust tavern style pizza is probably what locals in the chicagoland area think of when they think of pizza.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly, I dont care for the deep dish myself. I have had several examples from around the Chicago land area (where I grew up) and none stand out because I just don't like it that much.

And really, growing up, no one ate it regularly. It's kind of a novelty for tourists I think.  To be sure there are locals that love it but it's not like everyone in Chicago thinks "deep dish" when they think "pizza".

The thin crispy crust tavern style pizza is probably what locals in the chicagoland area think of when they think of pizza.
View Quote
No shit?  LOL if you listen to the TV guys like Guy Fieri, Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain and shows like Food Paradise, you'd have thought it was the main dish of Chicago!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice.

I'm hungry now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No shit?  LOL if you listen to the TV guys like Guy Fieri, Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain and shows like Food Paradise, you'd have thought it was the main dish of Chicago!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit no.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Great Hot Dogs... The Pizza is crap (compared to NY style)
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I want to try a sonoran hot dog.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#20]
My Dad would take us to the original Uno's when I was a kid back in the 60's. It was awesome!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
You Sir are obviously and man of exacting tastes and superior breeding.  I salute you.

As to ketchup on a hot dog, it is thisshort of a war crime.  Defilers should be beaten with a pillowcase full of brass doorknobs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Spiral cut, grilled.

Toasted bun, mustard, jalapeños, pico de gallo (optional).

Nothing else comes close (except perhaps a kraut dog).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You Sir are obviously and man of exacting tastes and superior breeding.  I salute you.

As to ketchup on a hot dog, it is thisshort of a war crime.  Defilers should be beaten with a pillowcase full of brass doorknobs.
View Quote
I used to be only mustard but the quality of dog has degraded leaving me to resort to additional cover up of the nastiness on some brands.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Never understood this "just mustard" thing. Slab it on and it's way to over powering of a condiment to taste anything else. I little bit goes a long way with ketchup and whatever toppings you like.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
For a second there ,I though you forgot the salt. .  I got lucky, we now have a Portillos here in Tampa and one in Brandon.   Tampa also has a place  called Rosati's. Their Chicago style pizza taste  just like it did when I was a kid.  It's not the pan stuff some people think in Chicago style , it's crust is as thin as it can get.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good but I prefer time minimalist version with Vienna beef, yellow mustard and relish.

Miss having Italian beef sammich down here.
View Quote
Portillos ships over night.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Worst regional hotdog type. Ever. 

Its a fuckin salad.
View Quote
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good but I prefer time minimalist version with Vienna beef, yellow mustard and relish.

Miss having Italian beef sammich down here.
Looked this up and found out they just opened one about half hour from me. Also permits pulled for one half that distance.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My buddies and I were talking about this. The whole American vs Lafayette is the most fake, contrived shit that is only discussed on TV shows that are doing something food related in Detroit. No one who lives in the area actually picks a side on one of those two. Most people would take a National any day over either of those two and you can get a National pretty much anywhere in metro Detroit instead of heading downtown.
View Quote
I buy the jar National chili for when we make them at the house.

I used to love eating at Kerby's, but the whole chain has gone to shit and the food sucks now...including the coney's.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top