Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2017 11:47:06 AM EDT
I am thinking the oil heaters but I don't know for sure.  I have a small insulated room for my reloading equipment and safe  with a window a.c. but no heat.  Concrete floor.  I'm gonna keep the large closet my safe is in heated enough to prevent condensation at all times, and use it in the room when I reload or do stuff in there.

Should I be looking at something other than an electric oil space heater?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with my Patton Milkhouse Heater. I heat my garage shop with it and it does a fine job. It replaced an oil filled heater that cost much more and didn't work any better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Efficiency wise, they are pretty much all the same no matter the price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#3]
OP why not have a propane heater installed? Or install one yourself it will be much cheaper than electric. If you plan to electric I would go 240v.

As far as electric as long as they are matched to the room the efficiency is generally the same.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at this one Lifesmart 6 Element Large Room Infrared Quartz Heater w/Wood Cabinet and Remote on AZ. WE have replaced our oil filled ones with these. Has a thermostat to make it run as needed and a fan to move the heated air.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Those oil radiator is what I use when it is really cold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP why not have a propane heater installed? Or install one yourself it will be much cheaper than electric. If you plan to electric I would go 240v.

As far as electric as long as they are matched to the room the efficiency is generally the same.
View Quote
Probably will do that eventually.  Got to many projects and things to save for right now.  Just need a quick fix right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Joule heating is pretty efficient 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything that runs off gas would be better than electric. Even a ventless wall heater.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything available that is safe to leave on all the time?
For some reason, my bedroom gets colder than the rest of the house, and I want something that will make it more comfortable, but no flame or hot element.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
They all feel like dollars are flying out the window, I like the oil filled, but hey check out this classic

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For some reason, my bedroom gets colder than the rest of the house, and I want something that will make it more comfortable, but no flame or hot element.
View Quote
Oil radiator, on the lowest setting it'll do the job, don't use it as a clothes rack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Electric blanket.  Turn on a hour or so before you go to bed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I still like the ceramic heaters the most. Both efficient and safe with kids around.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Efficiency wise, they are pretty much all the same no matter the price.
View Quote
Yep.

You'll be looking for durability of construction, long term reliability, and safety. Not efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#16]
All electric ones are about equal in the efficiency department.
Be sure the one you pick will turn off if knocked over and has a thermostat.
If you go gas us a vented, to keep down humidity. The powder will like it better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All electric heaters are 100% efficient.  Every watt used is dissipated as heat.

If your question is which type of electric heater works best, that's a different question.  If you want warm air blowing on your feet, get a milkhouse heater.  If you want the IR warmth, get an oil filled radiator type heater.

One way to feel warmer at the same temperature is to run a humidifier.   They're relatively cheap, and make whichever heating element you use seems 'warmer' to humans.
View Quote
Yep. When people say "most efficient" they mean cheapest. An electric element produces 3.41 Btu/watt all day, every day and is 100% efficient. Sure isn't the cheapest though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All electric heaters are 100% efficient.  Every watt used is dissipated as heat.

If your question is which type of electric heater works best, that's a different question.  If you want warm air blowing on your feet, get a milkhouse heater.  If you want the IR warmth, get an oil filled radiator type heater.

One way to feel warmer at the same temperature is to run a humidifier.   They're relatively cheap, and make whichever heating element you use seems 'warmer' to humans.
View Quote
This.
All electric heater are 100% efficient at turning electricity into heat.
How that heat is stored or radiated is something different.
You have to decide how you want to use the heat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
An old style light bulb, the kind that are not efficient and actually put out heat, would work in the gun safe.  Or a dehumidifier rod or whatever they are.

Lots of country folks left a light bulb, old style, burning in a well house, spring house, or dog house to just give off a bit of heat to keep things warm enough.

For the room, kind of depends on how big it is in my opinion.  If you will be working on one spot then putting the heater near you works.  If you want the whole room and everything in the room a nice even temp then I would get something with a fan.

I lived in an apartment over a bakery for a couple years, bakery was shut down and we are talking old building so apartment was expected to get heat from bakery.  So I know space heaters.  Kerosene or propane put moisture in the air unless you play with vented versions.

Electric heaters vary.  The oil filled are nice due to no fan so no moving parts to collect dust and need cleaning.  A heater with a fan can collect dust and some have a sort of filter and some do not.  You can play on youtube and watch some videos where people take the cheap ones apart at the end of each winter to clean and oil things and put it away til next winter.  Other people just buy a new one on clearance each spring and put it in the closet til next winter.  Throw old one away when fan gets noisy or something else affects its performance.

I mostly stuck to cheap heaters with a fan and have taken them apart.  Part of cleaning them up means air flow stays the same year to year.  Oiling the shaft for the fan is needed cause normally it wears out and gets sloppy and noisy.  The youtube vids will point out anything else.  I never cared much for the fans that wave side to side, with enough airflow you can aim it at a wall and get some airflow bounce around the room.  Or go against instructions and use a regular fan to increase air movement in the room but most instructions say not to do that.  I bought one nice commercial rated heater from amazon warehouse, they had a ton that must have fallen off a pallet cause box was dented but heater is fine.  This thing is much more robust and built to last.

So you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Oil radiant heaters are the safest for use in a reloading room.

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I got one of these for $80 once on an Amazon lightning deal, and it has been a GREAT heater.

DR968 Infrared blower with remote.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything electric will really work your electric bill.....figure 1000 to 1500 watts. I have one of those wall mounted heaters for the garage and it takes the chill off the room.

I also have a Mr. Heater Big Buddy and that really works good....but the fan is weak.

An electric heater would be ok but you need a small fan to maximize on it's output.

If you want electric, get one of those parabolic dishes from Costco...they really work well.

Otherwise, I would suggest a Mr. Heater Big Buddy.

Get the long hose to connect a 20lb propane tank, and don't forget the filter from Mr. Heater.

Has much more output than a 115V heater.

120V and 15 amps, will net you about 5100 BTU's

The Big Buddy will give you 18,000 BTU's on high....and 4000 BTU's on low, and last roughly 100 hours on 20lbs on low...has 3 total settings.

My vote is the Big Buddy.

The thing is...once it's all setup, it cost about the same to run a 1500W heater as it does for a propane heater for 100 hours given the cost to refill a 20lb cylinder.

At $.12/KWh, for 100 hours that's roughly $18.

But if you need more output, then fuel is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The small ceramic heater on lowest wattage is the cheapest to buy,
A $20.00 Electric heater produces the same amount heat as a $1000.00 electric heater 3.134 btu per kilowatt
There is only so much heat you can get out of a120 volt plug.
If you need some cooling also a small Mitsubishi heat pump mini split is the best way to go
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
You could go full Mac Gyver and take 50' of black garden hose and secure it to a board facing the sun, run it through a small pump to a motorcycle radiator inside and use a small fan to push air through the radiator.

Prob good for at least 80 deg of heat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An old style light bulb, the kind that are not efficient and actually put out heat, would work in the gun safe.  Or a dehumidifier rod or whatever they are.

Lots of country folks left a light bulb, old style, burning in a well house, spring house, or dog house to just give off a bit of heat to keep things warm enough.

So you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Spot on
My hot water heater and pressure tank use to be in a cabinet on a very cold outside wall. I added a light bulb inside the cabinet area and never had any issue with freezing after that.

I have a lathe out in my garage that has no insulation or heat so I made a box that goes over it when not in use and I added a spot light bulb in it and have never had an issue with rust.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They all feel like dollars are flying out the window, I like the oil filled, but hey check out this classic

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/130249/20171022_092814-340728.jpg
View Quote
I ran one of those a few winters in a cold drafty old house.  Was a good unit.  Will melt the paint off the walls or the wool socks off your feet if you aren't careful. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top