Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2017 3:33:19 PM EDT
Source

"Customers are tired of Christmas creeping up on them.

As The Washington Post reported, Target customers hope to avoid the “Christmas creep” — a time in which companies promote Christmas ahead of other holidays, like Thanksgiving — this year.

In response, the retailer said it has listened and plans to celebrate Thanksgiving ahead of Christmas.

“They want us to pause, and be really intentional and recognize Thanksgiving,” Rick Gomez, Target’s chief marketing officer, told The Washington Post. “What they don’t want us to do is go right into Christmas. So, we are going to respect that.”

Target said that it will keep signs and displays for Turkey Day up, hoping that “marketing will play up Thanksgiving meal preparation and entertaining for shoppers,” according to The Washington Post.

And Target plans to keep the holiday season by offering “meaningful promotions," Target chief merchandising officer Mark Tritton told The Star Tribune.

One of those promotions includes Chip and Joanna Gaines’ new line of holiday-themed decor. The founders of the hit HGTV show “Fixer Upper” will be selling a new “Hearth & Hand” collection this holiday season, according to CNBC.

The holiday decor collection, which includes wreaths, ornaments and stockings, launches on Nov. 5."

Go into Home Depot and see the Christmas stuff that went up early this month.

Just plain stupid on the part of Home Depot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good. I've actually seen a few retailers do things like that lately.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Target says "Christmas" again?  HUH, who'd have thunk?

Will not be shopping there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Walmart is already loading in Christmas shit up here.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I thought they were gonna keep men out of the women's restroom this holiday shopping season.

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I went in to a Target store one time about ten years ago.
Was not impressed and have not been back.
Don't care what they do.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They can all wait until a few days after Halloween.  That gives them plenty of time to have sales on fake trees so people can buy them and put them up on/after Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Target says "Christmas" again?  HUH, who'd have thunk?

Will not be shopping there.
View Quote
Well there's no point to things like boycotts if you don't punish for behavior you don't like and reward for behavior you do like. If you say "they've lost me as a customer forever!" Then they have no reason to change.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought Christmas Creep was about Santa always knowin about your shit and watching you when you're sleeping. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Surprised they are doing this with the huge percentage of sales that take place in preparation for Christmas.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge crossover between the people that go balls deep spending for Christmas AND the people that don't want to hear sleigh bells in a store in September. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Target is drunk, because they're Christmas lights wall was up and for sale the same time the Halloween decorations went up in September.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Who really cares when a store put Christmas items out

I like it to last as long as possible
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Bullshit.

Target across the road has had Christmas stuff behind the Halloween stuff for a month already.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here as well. They take the inside lawn and garden area, get rid of everything but the 50 different kinds of bird seed, and move in the Christmas stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I think target should worry about the literal "creeps" in their store before they worry about "Christmas Creep".

To be clear, I couldn't care less when stores put our their Christmas stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Christmas decorations were already up at the mall where I live in the Philippines when I got home...

ON AUGUST 3RD.

They don't have Thanksgiving, but come the hell ON!
View Quote

Dude you should know better than anyone that Filipinos don't fuck around with Christmas. Christmas is a lifestyle. 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#19]
lol Target
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#20]
menards here installed christmas right after labor day.

Went to look at grills, found Santa instead. Add to fact I hate that fucking fake a$ fuck day with a pa$$ion - no more menards for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge crossover between the people that go balls deep spending for Christmas AND the people that don't want to hear sleigh bells in a store in September. 
View Quote
They have a lot more customer specific data than they did a decade ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I will help them by telling Target that their choice of holiday decorations does not influence my decision to not shop there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be that this isn't Target listening to customers as much as analytics guys and bean counters saying "Hey!  We are leaving a lot of money on the table by glossing over this holiday and not fully promoting it as an independent event like Back-To-School, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc."  

And I think they would be right.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly they can accurately predict when a woman is pregnant based on what she buys.  And I'm not talking about when she's buying diapers, like when she just became pregnant.  So they can do quite a bit. 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh, I thought they were gonna keep men out of the women's restroom this holiday shopping season.

View Quote
As long the he's wearing a dress....
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who really cares when a store put Christmas items out

I like it to last as long as possible
View Quote
Yeah, let's make it year round so it completely loses any sense of being special.

Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving and come down on New Year's Day.  That's the rule in my house.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Hans Gruber thread?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
lol Target
View Quote
Only reason to step foot in a Target is to support liberals with my money, allow little girls to view tranny sausage while peeing, or if I wanna sit and pee in the women's bathroom.

None of the above have ever been on my to-do list.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I work at a Home Depot and the Christmas crap has been on display for a few weeks already.  They jump the gun on every holiday.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I've seen christmasy junk out already, and we haven't even seen halloween.

At some point, retailers will either have to reign this stuff in or just have a christmas section year round as they are getting close enough to having a christmas section for an entire fucking quarter.

I don't decorate, I don't put a tree up.  I might play some christmasy stuff on the stereo sometimes.  We don't really give gifts.  What we do is agree that on black friday/cyber monday....we have a certain budget to spend on whatever we want, and we shop on the internet until we are spent or unwilling to pay the asking.

We spend the time together, we are more efficient with our $, and there's no clean up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#31]
This actually makes me happy, i saw stores with Christmas merchandise in it in August, so flipping annoying.

That being said, F Target.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I work at a Home Depot and the Christmas crap has been on display for a few weeks already.  They jump the gun on every holiday.
View Quote
Yep, noticed that, Christmas and Halloween Decorations side by side.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Target is drunk, because they're Christmas lights wall was up and for sale the same time the Halloween decorations went up in September.
View Quote
What I was thinking

(the drac avatar rocks)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top