Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2017 12:53:13 PM EDT
How do these typically compare when getting an appraisal at Carmax?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The Best way to figure out a value is to search a fifty mile radius of comparable vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Best way to figure out a value is to search a fifty mile radius of comparable vehicles.
View Quote
general speaking there are three values on KBB, trade-in, private and public sale I believe.  basically dealer needs to screw you over on the trade to make any money.  So the only way to come out even is to sell the car to private party.  Or if the car major issues likemotor/transmission is about take a shit trade it in to dealer for what ever you can get out it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure

They will probably offer you low KBB

Then sell it for NADA values which are higher lol
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just traded in a 2013 Highlander on a new Honda Pilot last month.  Clean garage kept no smoking Florida trade in with no issues and only 30K miles on it.

The KBB for a trade in was $19K.  I was offered $12K for it.  It took some haggling and threats of walking before they finally gave me the trade in and the discount I needed.  It helps to have the KBB printout with you.  It is hard for them to argue with it.  

Go in knowing what your trade in is worth.  Also, know what the prevailing discounts are.  There are several websites that will tell you that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course it depends on the car...

But KBB listed my used 2002 Honda at about $5k... Even with the work that it needed, the "carmax" offer was $2K.... Actual cash offer in the dealer: $300.... I would have gotten more from the tax write off.

Since I was moving overseas, I ended up selling the car to family for $300.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
No one uses KBB but uninformed consumers.  Go to NADA or Edmunds to get vehicle values.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
CarMax uses KBB.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
It's been my experience that I have never received anywhere close to the KBB or NADA value offers from ANY dealer. They are all significantly lower than those.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's been my experience that I have never received anywhere close to the KBB or NADA value offers from ANY dealer. They are all significantly lower than those.
View Quote
kbb is high imo. Nada is more real world.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was a buyer or running a dealership and decisions came to me to make to begin with or others couldn't decide I first looked at auction numbers, what that car was averaging at the auction. If the car I was comparing was average I went by that number. If perfect and say new tires brakes etc and needed nothing I would go to the higher end of that auction number as it was what I could buy the car for currently.  I would then go on auto trader/cars.com and see what I thought I could price it at and be competitive and move it quickly.  If my gap was about $2000 for your normal every day car from ready to go on the lot, to selling price that is what I would pay for it. I may start $500 less and go to that but no more games then that.

again that was for your average every day cars. My real specialty and fav was buying cars that were one of a kind and in-comparable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No one uses KBB but uninformed consumers.  Go to NADA or Edmunds to get vehicle values.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The dealers use 'Black Book'. Used car dealers use it at the auctions.

It's a subscription service, but car salesmen can be bribed. 

Website
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone always wants to buy their new car at below wholesale, and sell their used car above full retail...  

Dealers have to make money on the trade in (what they paid, what they have to pay to inspect, fix, detail - condition the car and of course for the PAC and commissions paid to sell it again)...

CarMax has been pretty good about making more generous offers than most dealerships would pay, unless it is something hot for that dealership (Elements or Si's at a Honda or Landcruisers or FJs at Toyota or such)...
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The dealers use 'Black Book'. It's a subscription service, but car salesmen can be bribed. 

Website
View Quote
Books a million and others used to have them with the magazines. I'm not sure book stores exist anymore though. I haven't paid attention in several years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You haven't negotiated properly.  

But back to OP's question, CarMax tends to be really close to KBB, and significantly less than NADA.  You can generally get better trade value from a dealer who specializes in your particular used chariot of doom.  Got a good vette?  Go to a chevy dealer that specializes in vettes.  Got a nice bro-dozer?  Drive it off a cliff....errr....I mean go to a dealer that specializes in trucks.  They have the market that drives foot traffic to sell that particular vehicle and as such are generally more inclined to give a bit more on trade.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked at a dealership (not CarMax) about 13 years ago. We would use KBB "Trade-in" value for vehicles. Condition was always set to "Fair" (or sometimes "Poor") and the mileage put in. No other checkboxes were clicked (upgraded stereo/rims/etc., leather seats, moonroof).
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Just did it at car max. car max offer 3k higher the KBB. its was worth it as the trade in got me an extra 1200 off taxes. so trade was worth 32k! win win.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
That.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
That.
The other
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to go into these things with the most info you can have.  Do your homework.  Gather prices from numerous sources.  Area dealers, KBB, NADA, Edmunds, Ebay, Autotrader, Cars.com,Craigslist etc.  Remember there's a difference between what someone is asking for a car and what they really sell for.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If Carmax will buy, they will do so on the spot and cut you a check right then, and probably give you a ride home too. My mother sold my dads 05 Scion to Carmax after he died. and got $3K more than the Toyota dealer offered.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Each situation will be different.

Carmax offers cash out the door, good for three days, and will do a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

Then they check recent auction/sales data before finalizing their offer.

If you feel their offer is too low, ask to speak with one of the appraisers and they can explain the process.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
KBB is a joke.  Dealer is going to try to acquire your trade for NADA loan value or less.  They will only come up to "trade in" value if it is a very clean unit with high demand and minimal recondition costs, and the deal on the front end makes them enough money to offset, either directly or due to hitting quotas.  Or they pad the one they are selling you, somehow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The dealers use 'Black Book'. Used car dealers use it at the auctions.

It's a subscription service, but car salesmen can be bribed. 

Website
View Quote
Never seen it in TX or OK.  Dealers at auction are all carrying the NADA paper book or have the NADA app on their phones.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]
In my limited sample size of 3, I've always received the wholesale price
i.e. black book as mentioned above
They were always couple thousand below KBB trade in value.

Not surprising.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#26]
It depends, if it's a car that carmax won't sell (too old, etc) but it's in good shape, they'll probably offer around half the private sell value.

If it's something they will put on the lot, they can be pretty competitive with the price compared to a dealer and less hassle than a typical dealer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Carmax near me doesn't even come close to giving people what their car is worth.  Most people just end up selling it to the local manufacturer dealer or trading it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which gives him asking prices, not selling prices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I worked at a dealership (not CarMax) about 13 years ago. We would use KBB "Trade-in" value for vehicles. Condition was always set to "Fair" (or sometimes "Poor") and the mileage put in. No other checkboxes were clicked (upgraded stereo/rims/etc., leather seats, moonroof).
View Quote
That's what I was about to post.

Carmax pulled that shit on me. I fully detailed the car, and it needed nothing. When the car was new the owner had a plastic cover installed over the entire carpet. The carpet had NEVER been touched.

No used car is perfect but trade in value set to fair condition was bullshit. If I recall it was about half of what they could have sold the car for. And it needed very little attention before selling.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I will add Carmax will try and meet a previous quote they give you. We had to bring in an inherited car for an apprasail to pay off another family member.  Almost 1 year later and 7k more miles we decided to sell it and Carmax offered to match the original quote.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I just sold my 2009 Nissan Frontier to CarMax for 8k.
Kelly offered $7017.
That's a significant difference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
The carmax by me uses both & gives you both. They expect you to take the higher one.  In my cars case I had there in August...The carmax offer was 2K higher then the KBB.  But it was still way too low as I saw the same car 2 years newer but with a lot with more miles for 6k more then the value they gave me.  I walked.
Wasn't worth it. I'll keep my car as it's still very low miles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of the dealers in Tampa use the Manheim weekly auction prices to low ball.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of the dealers in Tampa use the Manheim weekly auction prices to low ball.
View Quote
That's not lowball that's what you're car is worth to the dealership.  ACV  actual cash value is generally about loan value.  Loan value is what the car sells for at auction and is what they can purchase your car for at auction, our one just like it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
general speaking there are three values on KBB, trade-in, private and public sale I believe.  basically dealer needs to screw you over on the trade to make any money.  So the only way to come out even is to sell the car to private party.  Or if the car major issues likemotor/transmission is about take a shit trade it in to dealer for what ever you can get out it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every person that walks through these doors lies about the condition of their vehicle and purposely hides known problems to try swindling the dealership into losing money.  There's a reason for the phrase, "all buyers are liars"

Not to mention the fact that the dealership has to recondition the vehicle to make sure it is in working order or suffer from some whiny customer that brings the vehicle back because something isn't working and expecting you to fix it.  This same customer is the one that screeches about the dealership "screwing you over on the trade to make any money".  After all of that, every single dealership and business in the world is a for profit entity and has to turn around and sell the vehicle for a profit.

The above part in pink tells me everything I would ever need to know about your character as a human being.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just traded in a 2013 Highlander on a new Honda Pilot last month.  Clean garage kept no smoking Florida trade in with no issues and only 30K miles on it.

The KBB for a trade in was $19K.  I was offered $12K for it.  It took some haggling and threats of walking before they finally gave me the trade in and the discount I needed. It helps to have the KBB printout with you. It is hard for them to argue with it.  

Go in knowing what your trade in is worth.  Also, know what the prevailing discounts are.  There are several websites that will tell you that.
View Quote
KBB said what?  Oh okay, will they be writing you a check for that amount or will it be cash?

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I was a buyer or running a dealership and decisions came to me to make to begin with or others couldn't decide I first looked at auction numbers, what that car was averaging at the auction. If the car I was comparing was average I went by that number. If perfect and say new tires brakes etc and needed nothing I would go to the higher end of that auction number as it was what I could buy the car for currently.  I would then go on auto trader/cars.com and see what I thought I could price it at and be competitive and move it quickly.  If my gap was about $2000 for your normal every day car from ready to go on the lot, to selling price that is what I would pay for it. I may start $500 less and go to that but no more games then that.

again that was for your average every day cars. My real specialty and fav was buying cars that were one of a kind and in-comparable.
View Quote
Exactly.  It doesn't matter what KBB and Edmunds says..  The only thing that really matters is what can I buy that same vehicle for at the auction right now today?  Auction values are the true market value.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#38]
My BMW 328xi years ago trade in was 15 or 16k and they offered me 12k
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Carmax near me doesn't even come close to giving people what their car is worth.  Most people just end up selling it to the local manufacturer dealer or trading it.
View Quote
Exact opposite experience for me.

Does CarMax offer what the car is worth on the private sale market?  Nope.
Is the CarMax offer higher than what other franchised mfg dealers are offering?  Always, in my experience.

The last 4 or 5 cars I've sold to CarMax (mix of american/euro/japanese makes, values ranging from $8000 to $30,000) were always at LEAST $2000 above what the local mfg dealers were willing to give.  
And the total lack of typical dealer BS is refreshing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Carmax gave me about $3000 more for my Honda - -than HONDA Dealer did.  

I had a check in hand within the hour; LOVED it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top