Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/26/2017 4:47:12 PM EDT
It seems the GD stance on the opioid epidemic is to blame addicts.

What about the other side of the equation?

90-95% of opioids in the U.S. come from Mexico.

I have cousins in highschool who claim 13 and 14 year olds are using opioids.

If drug dealers are targeting kids I would argue that this epidemic is largely due to predatory drug pushers.

I believe the liberal media doesn't want to admit that Mexican cartels are responsible for the gruesome death toll of the opioid epidemic.

It puts a completely different spin on immigration reform.

Record fentanyl seizure.

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If there were no demand, there would be no supply.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I blame druggies
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Big pharma
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I saw the article on here but someone made an argument that it was the partially the pill distributer's fault.  Wouldn't report suspicious orders.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Like 98 percent responsibility falls on the user. There are the rare exceptions when people become hooked because of prescribed drugs, but theyre the exception not the rule.

I've never done drugs. I've been offered them, but never used them. As a result, I've never had any of these problems.

Legalize everything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Free will; it's a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Quoted:
Legalize everything.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Like 98 percent responsibility falls on the user. There are the rare exceptions when people become hooked because of prescribed drugs, but theyre the exception not the rule.

I've never done drugs. I've been offered them, but never used them. As a result, I've never had any of these problems.

Legalize everything.
View Quote
It worked for Portugal, every other "War On..." battle we've fought has been a waste, so let's try ending some of these prohibitions
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Big pharma
View Quote
Genie is out the bottle. Tin can labs can crank out pills left and right now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Both.

I want the National Guard on the border. Fuck 'em, you get one warning shot, if you dont turn a 180° and start running you get some .30 cal holes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw the President's speech today and as someone who's had 4 major abdominal surgeries in one year, a 7 day script for Hydrocodone just won't cut it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I blame druggies. I've been on pain pills after surgeries and used the appropriate dose and never went to abuse them. Weak people make bad choices. Fuck them, their fault.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Of course, the US military has had a bit of an opportunity to destroy poppy crops in Afghanistan over the last 15 years. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Of course, the US military has had a bit of an opportunity to destroy poppy crops in Afghanistan over the last 15 years. Just sayin.
View Quote
Two big O's. The new Spice Trade.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big pharma
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Individual liberty does not mean you are free from responsibility for the outcome of your actions.

Shit begets shit whether it be parenting, education or otherwise.

You will notice that except for the 50,000 a year dead from opioid abuse, there are 321,000,000 other Americans who manage to live their lives free from the danger of dying from opioid abuse.

Funny how that works.

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Blame our culture.

We are told no one should hurt, be hungry, be unhappy, etc etc

And relief should be both immediate and cheap, preferably free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote
this is always the answer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I blame the government for making drugs unlawful to begin with.  If people want to get high, it's none of my business and undoubtedly safer if they could purchase their poison from reputable stores, not corner boys.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Demand can be created through marketing and coercion.

Kids were not dying left and right from opioids 20 years ago.

The recent demand has been created by designer synthetic opioids that are exponentially more potent than street heroin from the 1990's.

Middle school kids do not get the idea to try opioids unless street dealers are pushing the stuff.

Think about alcohol and tobacco advertising.

Illegal drugs are promoted in a similar manner. Free samples, music events, clubs, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big pharma
This.
I was talking to healthcare providers about this over the weekend. For years companies pitched fits and held sham studies about pain not being treated in the US. They had conventions and meets that encouraged all doctors to write pain meds.

I feel like a leftist kook here but big pharma had a huge role to play in this fiasco. Now I can't get a single Vicodin unless my leg is snapped in half
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
What a shitshow.

The people who are going to really suffer are the non-drug users. The innocent people who just want to take legit pain relief. The taxpayers who have to fund it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Nobody wants Messican weed anymore so they're selling meth H and F
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#27]
It's a user problem by weak willed people.   I have a bottle of oxy not 3 feet from me in a drawer.  Last time I took one ( 2 or 3 months ago ) I fucked myself up pretty good and had a 1/2 so I could sleep that night,  then back in the drawer they went.  There is still 25 ish or so in there from when I got them a year ago ( 30 count ).  They are handy as fuck when you NEED them,   a big problem if you just WANT them.  Anybody here saying it's big pharma's problem doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about other than thinking victim mentality is a good excuse for shit behavior.

PSA don't drop your 500+lb motorcycle on yourself not once but twice on the same side in the span of ten minutes,  fall on the other side.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#28]
It's easy to blame the dealers but if we did take them all down the demand of the addict wouldn't disappear.  Someone else would take up the mantle.  So you can only assume they don't take the fight necessary to the cartels in Mexico for two reasons.

1. It would take too much and is too big of a commitment for the involved governments.

2. It's easier to deal with coming from it's current source so a change would cause greater instability.

3. Incompetence and corruption (bc someone was going to say it).  But I don't think it's that simple.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If there were no demand, there would be no supply.
View Quote
This.

It's always the users choice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The recent demand has been created by designer synthetic opioids that are exponentially more potent than street heroin from the 1990's.

Middle school kids do not get the idea to try opioids unless street dealers are pushing the stuff.

Illegal drugs are promoted in a similar manner. Free samples, music events, clubs, etc.
View Quote
You're kidding right? 80's and 90's tons of people were dying from heroin. It was huge. This is just a swingback from all the meth users of the late 90s and 2000s because opiates got cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're kidding right? 80's and 90's tons of people were dying from heroin. It was huge. This is just a swingback from all the meth users of the late 90s and 2000s because opiates got cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Blah blah blah blah blah. We get it, you don't understand the concept of personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#35]
OMG A CRISIS!!!!

Wait, why wasn't this "OMG A CRISIS!" 10 years ago in 2007 where that very sinister graph stops?  I'm sure it's not because certain forces in the govmedia decided to recently start banging the drum for another push in the WoD.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Stupid decisions sometimes come with hard consequences.

If your dumb enough to shoot up, I'm done caring.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#37]
The dealers certainly aren’t free of responsibility,but you won’t make any progress until you can convince people to stop snorting and smoking that shit, to paraphrase a line from Sicario.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]
There isn’t much we can do about weak minded people.  There is a whole lot we can do about transnational drug cartels. I say, let SoD Mathis solve the problem under the clear and present danger doctrine.  He can ISIS then out of business.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
All of the opioid addicts I've known started out on prescription pills from doctors. One of the doctors in a nearby town (El Dorado Hills) actually got carted off to jail for writing illegal prescriptions/selling Oxycontins. The DEA and some other alphabet agency raided his offices and made off with a pile of pills he wasn't supposed to have.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cartels are responsible for drug use in the same way the grocery stores and restaurants are responsible for obesity.
View Quote
This is true; but we can close the drug grocery store.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Those mass murderers arent at fault... its those damn gun shops and the nra given em dem guns.

Right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Stupid decisions sometimes come with hard consequences.

If your dumb enough to shoot up, I'm done caring.
View Quote
Same here.  Ban Narcan too.  If you're stupid enough to OD, heck - to use that shit to begin with, you're too stupid to bother saving.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Big pharma
View Quote
Old MacDonald had one, eieio.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I rarely find it acceptable to blame other people for your problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
America doesn't have a drug problem.

Some Americans have a drug problem.    That doesn't make it an epidemic or a problem the rest of us need to solve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I guess when drugs are pushed to teenagers I tend to place most of the blame on dealers.

Opioid dealers often get people hooked on pills and then convince a user that IV is cheaper, easier whatever once that person is hooked.

Often they give pills away for free at parties knowing that they'll create new customers.

If a 30 year old Mexican was selling cheap moonshine to your middle school child would you say f*ck it and let the kid get blacked out every weekend or would you intervene?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#49]
No matter how shitty someone's life choices are I do not endorse using institutional violence to "help/save/protect" them from themselves / make them stop doing things that make us uncomfortable.

If some crackhead comes bouncing through your window at 3AM then you can shoot him, just like any other reasonable adult.   BUT until they (an INDIVIDUAL) are actually doing real harm (not this make believe bullshit people pull outa their collectivist asses) to others (REAL PEOPLE) endorsing violence against them means YOU are the douchebag.

It's about having very simple standards for our own behavior.

As a sidenote: The war on drugs (and the governments massive losses against it daily) is a wonderful allegory for command economy vs. free market.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I guess when drugs are pushed to teenagers I tend to place most of the blame on dealers.

Opioid dealers often get people hooked on pills and then convince a user that IV is cheaper, easier whatever once that person is hooked.

Often they give pills away for free at parties knowing that they'll create new customers.

If a 30 year old Mexican was selling cheap moonshine to your middle school child would you say f*ck it and let the kid get blacked out every weekend or would you intervene?
View Quote
For my kid?   Yeah, I'd intervene... by raising them well enough in the first place to have the wherewithal to make the right choices in life.

Your kid?    That's your responsibility.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top