Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
xperia z5 compact.

very small.  same size as the  iphone 5 iirc.  
much faster has an  8 core cpu.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you actually need your phone to do? Do you take a lot of pics with it? Screen size and clarity super important? Is battery life the deciding factor above so others?

I can get by with a lot less phone than I thought I would. Have a Moto Z play that does everything I need it to and has awesome battery life. It can go all day and still have 65-70% charge left by the time I go to bed.
View Quote
If your call provider sells a Motorola phone, buy it and call it a day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
xperia z5 compact.

very small.  same size as the  iphone 5 iirc.  
much faster has an  8 core cpu.
View Quote
How does it compare with an S7?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If I went back to android I would only consider getting the google pixel 2. The iPhone 7 Plus is my first iPhone and reluctantly I had to admit to myself it was better than any android phone I ever had.  Don’t get a Samsung phone! They are a complete POS after a major software update in my experience of owning several flagship Samsung phones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im betting you'll see decent sales on the 8 between thanksgiving and Christmas. The 8 and 8+ will have been out for just over 6 months.  I think Samsung will start really moving them for the holidays.
View Quote
Do you see a downside in buying the international version of the S8? It is cheaper but apparently the warranty is different somehow?
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just switched from my iphone 6s+ to a Galaxy Note8...pretty damn nice phone so far.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Essential phone, it's got monster specs and is almost totally stock Android. The rollout was a bit rocky and bugs abounded but they got a huge update on Oct 30th, along with a price cut.

https://www.essential.com/

Essential Phone is the best deal in smartphones thanks to camera updates

Essential Proves How Sensible Pricing and Software Updates Can Redeem a Failing Phone

Essential Phone Drops to $499 for Good, Early Adopters Get $200 Credit Too
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Note 7, it ran flawlessly, never had any overheating issues, rarely had an issue with it software-wise, I loved it. Then Note 7 batteries started overheating so Samsung rolled out their update that capped battery charge to I think 60%. Then they announced they were bricking any Note 7s not handed in by whatever date. So I exchanged mine for an S7 Edge...

It's a fine phone, but in the last few months I've started having major issues to the point where it'll lock up and restart itself a good 2-3 times a week. It might be the OS, it might be an app I have causing it, or I might just have shitty luck. All I know is I think I'm going to replace it with a Note 8 and probably soon.

Up until recently it's been a pretty solid phone though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Samsung S8 mini is coming out by the end of the year.  That might be a good option. 

Some of this really depends on how hard OP uses a phone.  If he's not playing games or whatever, there's non-flagship phones that might work nicely too. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had an S7 for about a year.  It replaced my trusty Nexus 5.

I'm been pretty happy with the S7.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a Note 7, it ran flawlessly, never had any overheating issues, rarely had an issue with it software-wise, I loved it. Then Note 7 batteries started overheating so Samsung rolled out their update that capped battery charge to I think 60%. Then they announced they were bricking any Note 7s not handed in by whatever date. So I exchanged mine for an S7 Edge...

It's a fine phone, but in the last few months I've started having major issues to the point where it'll lock up and restart itself a good 2-3 times a week. It might be the OS, it might be an app I have causing it, or I might just have shitty luck. All I know is I think I'm going to replace it with a Note 8 and probably soon.

View Quote
Why not factory reset the thing?  Or flash a ROM onto it?  Sure it may not work, but its no more work than moving to a new phone. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Pixel phones are the best phones of all phones
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
the OG pixel is nice, not too big. I have one, but just got a Motorola X4. I like the X4 so far. I like that it's IP68 water resistant, and that it has expandable storage. I slapped a 128GB microSD card in it so far. Looks like battery life will be quite good, too.

I think the X4 would be a bit wider than the iPhone 5, but it's not all that much bigger. It's not a 'phablet' size phone. I got tired of huge phones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) last spring and it's been great.
Outstanding camera and display, plus it's waterproof.

I cannot find fault with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are needing a similar sized one, Samsung S6.

My main phone is the Samsung S7 Edge, and I have the S6 as a backup.

If you get a S6, invest in a battery case or carry around a battery charger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Samsung S8 mini is coming out by the end of the year.  That might be a good option. 

Some of this really depends on how hard OP uses a phone.  If he's not playing games or whatever, there's non-flagship phones that might work nicely too. 
View Quote
I don't game on my phone. I just need it for limited web browsing, checking email and some other assorted apps.

I do need it to be durable and waterproof. I will probably be taking a position doing field work after I graduate. Adding a case or not is optional but I don't want it to become huge in either case.

Does anyone here have the S7 active?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got a note8 last night and this thing is awesome. Already able to sign a contract, scan my receipts, and edit a few files for work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was thinking an Samsung S7 but I am looking for options.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I've always preferred Motorola.
Perhaps run down to a local (provider) store and play with a few different phones?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
If you don't want to spend a small fortune and still have a capable phone then check out the Motorola G series. They have held the " best phone for the money" for 3 or 4 editions now. I am on my 4th one because they have been so good to me.

I got the moto g 5 plus for $200 on Amazon warehouse deals. Pure Android, always updated.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Need to replace the iphone 5s I just trashed. What is of a similar size to the iphone 5s that is nice.

Also not made by Apple. I am tired of their shit. I want to be free.

I was thinking an Samsung S7 but I am looking for options.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Google Pixel 2. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#21]
HTC 10 and have had it almost a year.   Not much bloatware on it and coming from a Samsung S4,  I really enjoy it.

I don't play games with it.  I just use it for YouTube, Arf, Instagram,  listening to music,
and some other forums.

No complaints here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I use Verizon.

Every two years when my contract expires I call and ask if they'll upgrade my iPhone for cheap.

Last year when my wife's contract expired they gave us a 32gb iPhone 6 Plus for free.  Actually $100 with a $100 credit.

This year I'm getting a 128gb iPhone 7 for $199.  I could get a 32gb for $99, but I think 128 is safer.  I hate big phones or I'd go Plus or 8 or X.  But I hate big phones.

The bottom line is many people don't know their provider might give them a deal to resign a two year contract.

Also, when discussing this, they ask if you want to pay for the phone monthly or outright.  Ask for both figures.  I could buy a 32gb iPhone 7 for example for $99 outright - or pay $22/month for 24 months!  Do the math.  Don't fall for the monthly before asking what the cash price is.

I'm getting a $650 phone for $199.  I could have bought the $550 phone for $99. 

If you're with Verizon, check your contract, and if expired get a new phone for cheap. Don't go by the website prices, call your rep, get a brand new phone cheap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Google Pixel 2. 
View Quote
I wish I could agree but the problems keep stacking up.

Dead top speakers
Battery hiss
Under 9.0 charging
Screen burn in
Blue haze to Screen
Squeeze function malfunctioning
Overheating

I was so excited to buy one but them getting lg involved apparently ruined it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't game on my phone. I just need it for limited web browsing, checking email and some other assorted apps.

I do need it to be durable and waterproof. I will probably be taking a position doing field work after I graduate. Adding a case or not is optional but I don't want it to become huge in either case.

View Quote
The S8 is waterproof down to 5 feet and has a gorilla glass screen. You're still going to want a case of some sort. I have an one of These. About as small a case as I can get without giving up protection. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't know they were going to make a mini. Looks great.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Has gym007 chimed in yet?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wish I could agree but the problems keep stacking up.

Dead top speakers
Battery hiss
Under 9.0 charging
Screen burn in
Blue haze to Screen
Squeeze function malfunctioning
Overheating

I was so excited to buy one but them getting lg involved apparently ruined it.
View Quote
That's the Pixel 2 XL, which is made by LG and a hot piece of garbage.  The Pixel 2 is made by HTC and has none of those problems.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got a S8 unlocked for less than $600 last month.
View Quote
The day I started this thread I could buy one on Amazon for $620 the next day they went to $718.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I didn't know they were going to make a mini. Looks great.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ewNVBBlnL7U/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
That Mini is really tempting. Why can't they confirm the release and price?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That Mini is really tempting. Why can't they confirm the release and price?
View Quote
 Looks like a great size for people who don't use their phones as tablets. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got a S8 unlocked for less than $600 last month.
View Quote
Mines costing 6 bucks a month. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Motorola Turbo, or Turbo 2.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Just went through the Android search after my Nexus 5x took a dump.

I didn't look at Samsung due to past experience with the bloatware and I wasn't a fan of their Android skin.

Looked hard at the OnePlus 5. Mic jack, lots of RAM, fast. However I had a hard time finding one for sale.

Went with the Essentials phone. Peppy processor, 128 gb storage, and stock Android. Loving it so far.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
He ain't got time for those who spend less than $1K and don't get all dreamy eyed at missing buttons
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He ain't got time for those who spend less than $1K and don't get all dreamy eyed at missing buttons
View Quote
I spent $1k on my note 8. But it actually offers something.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why not factory reset the thing?  Or flash a ROM onto it?  Sure it may not work, but its no more work than moving to a new phone. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A factory reset would likely fix the issue, but honestly I'd just much rather be back in a Note anyway. I begrudgingly gave up my Note 7 and only did so once Samsung said they were going to remotely brick all the phones.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then I'd go with a Galaxy S5 and a Magpul case.

Get a T-Mobile variant and load LineageOS on it.  Latest and greatest software, waterproof, removable storage and battery!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Samsung is currently offering 50,000 rewards points if you purchase a S8, S8+, or Note 8 through the end of the month. Just upload the receipt through Samsung Pay.

You can use those 50,000 points to get a $250 Visa gift card in Samsung Pay. I couldn't pass this deal up so Friday I upgraded to the Note 8 from the S8+. Anyone who says they're the same is wrong, the S8+ was great but the Note 8 improves on it in many areas, including screen brightness, camera, and believe it or not - fluidity. It's so buttery smooth and fast.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Samsung is currently offering 50,000 rewards points if you purchase a S8, S8+, or Note 8 through the end of the month. Just upload the receipt through Samsung Pay.

You can use those 50,000 points to get a $250 Visa gift card in Samsung Pay. I couldn't pass this deal up so Friday I upgraded to the Note 8 from the S8+. Anyone who says they're the same is wrong, the S8+ was great but the Note 8 improves on it in many areas, including screen brightness, camera, and believe it or not - fluidity. It's so buttery smooth and fast.
View Quote
So I can order a new phone from anywhere to get this deal?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just went through the Android search after my Nexus 5x took a dump.

I didn't look at Samsung due to past experience with the bloatware and I wasn't a fan of their Android skin.

Looked hard at the OnePlus 5. Mic jack, lots of RAM, fast. However I had a hard time finding one for sale.

Went with the Essentials phone. Peppy processor, 128 gb storage, and stock Android. Loving it so far.
View Quote
@babarsac

Tell us more about the Essentials phone.  How long you had it? How quickly does it receive OS updates?  When my Motorola Nexus 6 finally dies, I am interested in one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I figure we would hear all about his awesome phone.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you don't want to spend a small fortune and still have a capable phone then check out the Motorola G series. They have held the " best phone for the money" for 3 or 4 editions now. I am on my 4th one because they have been so good to me.

I got the moto g 5 plus for $200 on Amazon warehouse deals. Pure Android, always updated.
View Quote
I just bought a Motorola G5 Plus from Costco. Unlocked for all carriers so I just took the sim card out of my Moto X and put it in the G5 plus and was up and running. Only complaint was the Motorola migrate app would not work on it so I had to use another program to transfer some stuff over to the new phone.

I really don't like the software that Samsung adds over stock Android.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
How'd you do this. I just bought my note 8 yesterday and my wife an 8 today.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
CAT S60.
View Quote
Had mine for a few weeks now and I love it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#46]
S8/thread
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How'd you do this. I just bought my note 8 yesterday and my wife an 8 today.
Sorry guys, didn't realize it's only for Verizon. Anyway here are the screenshots from my phone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do you think it is worth waiting till black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a S8? Would there be decent sales?
View Quote
Sam's Club is offering a $300 gift card next Saturday with purchase of 8, 8+ or Note 8
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I still use an S5 because I tether about 50gb a month undetected using FoxFi. when this one dies I'll pony up another $150 for another S5 off of amazon.
View Quote
FoxFi works on my Galaxy S7. Why are you sticking with the S5?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top