Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2017 7:28:42 PM EDT
Been kicking this around in my head for many moons now, not that I'm ever actually gonna build one (closest body of water is my shitter ).  Just love the concept: a basically unsinkable boat, something with positive buoyancy.   And even better, you could prolly put the whole thing together for under $500!

My first thot was 55 gallon drums, but of course the steel ones will rust.   Soooooooooo, the plastic ones!   They'll never rust, even in salt water.  Teflon tape on the bungs, those suckers are never going down!   Two to three per side, even if one floods the rest will float, use nothing steel in construction, and head for the high seas!

Aaaaand a quick squint @ Bing images shows me I'm not so original of a thinker as I think I am:

Recliner optional, of course.   But furniture does make for a nice, homey touch.   Make sure to have enough recliners for your & your buds, maybe a sun shade, and of course a built-up spot for the beer cooler so it doesn't slip overboard.  Oh, as well as a small, attached ladder, so's you can climb your drunk ass back in the boat if when you fall in.

Serially, if I lived on the water, I'd have some kind of boat, and one of these strikes me as just about optimal.  You'll never get it over 5 knots (unless you drop a Chevy 350 into that byotch ), but it's about style, not speed.   And, it's about as unsinkable as a boat can be.

What sayeth the hivemind?  Am I all wet?  Tips, tricks, and suggestions?  Anyone ever actually build one?  They say "a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into"; this is a boat that should cost next to nothing to build & maintain.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I see them around here all the time old ones for $500 Usually come with a motor too. If you have an area of your state with lakes or large rivers you will find used ones cheap all over. Your idea may work, motor will be your biggest expense
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking about it too. DO IT!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Looked into this a few years back and found some scratch and dent aluminum pontoons online but never went any further.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a used party barge in excellent condition for $4k. I can't see it being worth the trouble to build at that price.

They make awesome base stations for jet skis and speed boats which is how mine is used when we hit the lake with the hoosier flotilla.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I see tons of those on the Wolf River with a little shack and some cane poles on them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a used party barge in excellent condition for $4k. I can't see it being worth the trouble to build at that price.

They make awesome base stations for jet skis and speed boats which is how mine is used when we hit the lake with the hoosier flotilla.
View Quote
  O. M. F. G.  Arfcom aircraft drunkard carrier!   Have the booze... erm, I meant, the fuel supplies for the jet skis!

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
And hey, you should be able to cook on a barge, right?

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
A pontoon is the first boat a lakehome owner should get.  You can use it as soon as the ice comes off the lake, and it'll be the last boat you take out in the Fall.

I'd, of course, recommend buying used instead of building your own, but that's not the GD way.

Are you going with aluminum or wood for the main structure?  If wood, you'll be limiting the life of the boat.  AL won't degrade like wood will.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd, of course, recommend buying used instead of building your own, but that's not the GD way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You know me!

Quoted:
Are you going with aluminum or wood for the main structure?  If wood, you'll be limiting the life of the boat.  AL won't degrade like wood
will.
I'd thot of starting with wood; cheap, easy to work with, seal with exterior stain/poly/spar varnish, should look fine, last along time.   However, I've a sneaking temptation to delve into a fiberglass framework then, since that should be as impervious as the plastic barrels themselves.  I'm seeking to make a zero-maintenance Arfpocalypse zombie bugout vehicle (those zombie fuckers can't swim ).
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You know me!

I'm seeking to make a zero-maintenance Arfpocalypse zombie bugout vehicle (those zombie fuckers can't swim ).
View Quote
Nothing that floats is zero maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Wave action will make short work of it.  Keep it on a pond.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know me!

I'm seeking to make a zero-maintenance Arfpocalypse zombie bugout vehicle (those zombie fuckers can't swim ).
  But but but plastic and nylon rope and fiberglass, oh my!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wave action will make short work of it.  Keep it on a pond.
View Quote
Yea, I was jest jestin' about taking it out on the ocean...
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I helped my neighbor's kid build a boat from 8" PVC pipes in 10 foot lengths. I don't know where this kid found the pipes, but they were super old and I helped him chop them down to 7 or 8 feet and I capped the ends off and let him do the rest.  The kid's dad went and bought some aluminum deck that he mounted between the two pipes and their plan was to make it a pedal boat of some sort. They moved away before I got to see it in action.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
  O. M. F. G.  Arfcom aircraft drunkard carrier!   Have the booze... erm, I meant, the fuel supplies for the jet skis!

http://charlesmccain.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hires_071007-F-0986R-0021.jpg
View Quote
I let friends spend the bux on expensive tow boats and nut busting jet skis. I run base station with the grille and the coolers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But but but plastic and nylon rope and fiberglass, oh my!
View Quote
You could also use trex for ultra low maintenance but by then aluminum would probably be cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File
A friend of mine built this,a little Moore than $500.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File
After a tornado.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
sweet, this will be my winter project.

I built this with my son last summer, It is twice as big now and secured with large zip ties.

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
sweet, this will be my winter project.

I built this with my son last summer, It is twice as big now and secured with large zip ties.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-1494-257317.png
View Quote
Where'd ya get that possum hat...pretty wild...
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#22]
park it here

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
After a tornado.
View Quote
It didn't sink, did it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
park it here

View Quote
That would be perfect.   Hiya, neighbors!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw one on a local lake that had a 60's VW van, not sure if this is the actual one but it looked exactly like this:

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380102/07A2BCB1-58D0-4EEB-9C50-9A44138D750C-352529.JPG A friend of mine built this,a little Moore than $500.
View Quote
Lol, how appropriate, a double-wide.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Go for it OP!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Did not sink.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File
Better pic. before the tornado.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Our company goes through half a dozen white 55 gal HDPE barrels a week (we pump GOJO soap out of them into smaller containers).

The empties are highly sought after, even though our official policy is to recycle them.

Several employees have reported making pontoon boats from them. Others use them for rainwater (strictly for gardening, our barrels are not suitable for potable water, it's molded into them).
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You know me!

I'd thot of starting with wood; cheap, easy to work with, seal with exterior stain/poly/spar varnish, should look fine, last along time.   However, I've a sneaking temptation to delve into a fiberglass framework then, since that should be as impervious as the plastic barrels themselves.  I'm seeking to make a zero-maintenance Arfpocalypse zombie bugout vehicle (those zombie fuckers can't swim ).
View Quote
Fiberglass can get a bit expensive, when you start moving up in size.

If sticking to a budget, wood structure with fiberglass sealing it, may be the better option.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Mister, that is actually a very nice lookin' boat.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If sticking to a budget, wood structure with fiberglass sealing it, may be the better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know me!

That, is a brilliant idea.  I'd imagine those two-part epoxy paints would do a similar job.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Love pontoon  boats
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Doing this would make it all worth while
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
  That, is a brilliant idea.  I'd imagine those two-part epoxy paints would do a similar job.
View Quote
A quick how-to video on fiberglassing wood boats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHUI0CiYbs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top