Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2017 6:01:01 PM EDT
I routinely wash my brass in folgers coffee plastic tub thingys. While doing the rinse cycles and vigorous shaking to get the soap and whatnot out of the primer pockets, i notice the brass always gets neatly stacked up during the shaking. Is this a violation of the second law of thermodynamics?

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Look up "vibratory feeder".

LINK
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No.

You're over thinking this.  Quit trying to be smarter than everyone on the internet.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not a "closed system" with the lid off.  You let all the entropy out or something.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
No the case head is heavier so it goes to the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
17'ers!  Not as bad as 13'ers but NO OP just NO.  Time to go back to physics class.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
In this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!!

Mentions of illegal activities is a ban-able offense.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Having the case with the heavy end up is a more highly ordered state than having it down

also, since the CG of the case is higher when the heavy end is up, the heavy end up is at a higher potential energy level

so the cases flipping heavy end down is a less ordered and lower energy state
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
get yourself a vibratory case cleaner most ricky ticky

I like the smaller Dillon one
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Aliens.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope.

Heavy end down minimizes the energy of the system.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aliens.
View Quote
magnets..
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Just evidence that you are approaching the  stoichiometric ratio of air to brass inside that containment vessel.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
"What is gravity?, Alex"
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Having the case with the heavy end up is a more highly ordered state than having it down

also, since the CG of the case is higher when the heavy end is up, the heavy end up is at a higher potential energy level

View Quote
Wouldn't a case have the least potential energy if it was laying on its side?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's not a "closed system" with the lid off.  You let all the entropy out or something.
View Quote
Thank God that empty Folgers tub wasn't made by Lucas electrical. He'd let out all of the entropy and smoke from his brass
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look up "vibratory feeder".

LINK
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nope.

View Quote
A case laying on it's side is more stable and has less energy than a case standing on its end, heavy end down or not.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That`s pretty good!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just evidence that you are approaching the  stoichiometric ratio of air to brass inside that containment vessel.
View Quote
17:1 as I recall?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
No.

The 2nd Law is one of the most erronioisly invoked arguments I can think of.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A case laying on it's side is more stable and has less energy than a case standing on its end, heavy end down or not.
View Quote
You put work into the system. If they spontaneously stood up, then you might be onto something, Einstein 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe I'm just dumb and/or uneducated in this, but what does "second law of thermodynamics" have to do with gravity?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
More like an affirmation of the law of gravity.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
The integral of T*ds was not violated.  Entropy increased and decreased all in accordance with the 2nd Law.  Furthermore, energy was conserved.  Mass was conserved. All done so in accordance with general relativity.  If any quanta we're violated, they should consider filing a police report, provided the testimony of a dead cat is admissible in court.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just dumb and/or uneducated in this, but what does "second law of thermodynamics" have to do with gravity?

A.W.D.
View Quote
Disorder In a system  increases unless energy is put in...or something like that...it's been 20 years now since thermo 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!!

Mentions of illegal activities is a ban-able offense.
View Quote
I reported him to site staff and the internet police. Some laws are not made to be broken.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I routinely wash my brass in folgers coffee plastic tub thingys. While doing the rinse cycles and vigorous shaking to get the soap and whatnot out of the primer pockets, i notice the brass always gets neatly stacked up during the shaking. Is this a violation of the second law of thermodynamics?

https://i.imgur.com/UVaZROh.jpg
View Quote

A lot of energy is being introduced to the system so no.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#28]
When the cases are shaken in the ionic liquid created when soap and gravity are mixed, a power field is created at the vertex of the plastic bowl and the reinforcing bar in the concrete floor.  Because of this, a brass magnet is artificially generated and it attracts the brassiest part of the case.  

To avoid this, put a magnet in with the brass in the future and the force field will be disrupted.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
No. Also entropy isn't an indicator of order or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes. This clearly violates the 2nd. Patent now, youll make a billion.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Put the bucket on a treadmill and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Disorder In a system  increases unless energy is put in...or something like that...it's been 20 years now since thermo 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Disorder isn't necessarily entropy.  On top of that, entropy most often decreases when energy is removed from a system.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

17:1 as I recall?
View Quote
14.7:1
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like a wife on a couch?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#35]
OP--try starting with one brass in the container.  Shake, report results.  Then do a series adding one piece of brass each time.  

What you have is a situation where there is enough brass in the container such that the most efficient packing is for many of the cases to be standing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
But since you have more than one case in the bucket you have to look at the energy of all the cases together.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That`s pretty good!
View Quote
But it's not "a case"; it's multiple cases which interact.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]
It's not just a good idea, it's the law
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#39]
if only one end were heavier than the other....
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually this illustrates Murphy's law. cases stand up so they hold the water you are trying to rinse off. Now they have to be turned over and emptied by hand.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
Second Law of Thermodynamics is serious shit........ Gravity.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Well holy shit, you just proved that the universe is not a closed system, would you like that Nobel prize emailed or should we send it through the wormhole your tumbler created?

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

One case yes; but not a large number of them in proximity.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
But you are not taking into account that the repetitive shaking of the container is also a source of additional energy being put into the system. Entropy is delayed when this happens.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
As I remember it, 2nd law says: All thngs in nature tends toward their least energetic state, followed by some other bits, then something about "and then a miracle happens" followed by some more bits (some of them Naughty, nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean ...wwaaauuuuugggghhhh
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, kill it now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Just like evolution
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quantum at work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Entropy is not "disorder", at least not on the macro-scale. Which is why I find this common analogy leads to confusion.

As I understand it, an increase in Entropy is more precisely described as the "the loss of the ability to do work".

In that sense, you shouldn't be looking just in your little bucket, you should be looking in terms of the entire universe.

So some way, some how, if you think your cases can do more work in the configuration that they are currently in, energy was used to get them into that position, which produced waste heat, which increased the entropy of the universe.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Schrodinger's Brass.  You are not supposed to look.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top