Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2017 7:32:50 AM EDT
So I found a company that will 3D pint any file you send them and then mail it to you, and they can print in metal (aluminum, copper, bronze, steel, titanium, silver, or gold).  What would be the legal ramifications for say, sending them a file for a pistol frame or a rifle reciever and having it printed in steel or aluminum?  Would I, the sender of the file, be the legal manufacturer, or would they be?

Also, assuming it’s legal, got any files for frames or recievers I can file away for a rainy day?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
[ATF_Man.Gif]

But tag for learing something
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a wonderful way to establish legal precedence!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd guess that they cannot do this, but someone else will chime in.

Who is the printer? I may wind up needing some stuff printed in metal at some point.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
No, they will be the mfg. Same as if you sent someone a 80% lower and had someone else do it for you.

Exception would be if they are printing a 80% or less and you finish the milling.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Not an expert but I believe the only legal way to do that is if they have an 07 FFL and transfer it back to you through an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Solution is - buy own printer.

If file produces something that could be considered a finished receiver - that's production. Then shipping it direct is whole nuther issue - the man likely won't like that. To each their own - but that's not a plank I'd walk on. No regulations against shipping / receiving a printer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This is how you introduce the man into your life.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd guess that they cannot do this, but someone else will chime in.

Who is the printer? I may wind up needing some stuff printed in metal at some point.
View Quote
https://i.materialise.com

https://www.shapeways.com

There are a lot more people who offer printing services but those are the common two online ones.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If file produces something that could be considered a finished receiver - that's production. Then shipping it direct is whole nuther issue - the man likely won't like that. To each their own - but that's not a plank I'd walk on. No regulations against shipping / receiving a printer.
View Quote
Last time I looked a DMLS printer with a build box large enough to accommodate an AR lower was around $500k
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I think they would be the mfr unless they made you an 80%. However I'd like their info as I need some bronze pillow block bearing inserts made to replace babbitt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]
You're doing it wrong. They are only making you an elaborately printed 'paper weight'
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you looked at the cost of a 3d printer capable of truly printing metal and not just a PLA filament with metal powder?  Not something a Normal_Guy can afford.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#13]
What if you were to have them make up something like a P320 chassis, where it's not obvious to a non-"gun guy" that it's a receiver?  
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think they would be the mfr unless they made you an 80%. However I'd like their info as I need some bronze pillow block bearing inserts made to replace babbitt.
View Quote
Unless they are some pretty complicated geometry you are probably better off just having them machined.  Pretty good chance the printed part would have to be machined anyway, depending on geometry and tolerances DMLS may not produce a part that will work directly out of the printer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the cost of a 3d printer capable of truly printing metal and not just a PLA filament with metal powder?  Not something a Normal_Guy can afford.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't someone, a year or so ago, print a 'gun' in plastic, and then reinforce the high stress areas with metal?

That would probably be more like an 80% job though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Didn't someone, a year or so ago, print a 'gun' in plastic, and then reinforce the high stress areas with metal?

That would probably be more like an 80% job though.
View Quote
3D Printed 1911 in 10mm
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
That was using a direct metal laser sintering machine, far from being affordable for the home user.  The cheapest true metal printer I know of is the Metal X, which I think starts around $99k.  At that point, better to get a CNC mill and learn how to draw and program.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was using a direct metal laser sintering machine, far from being affordable for the home user.  The cheapest true metal printer I know of is the Metal X, which I think starts around $99k.  At that point, better to get a CNC mill and learn how to draw and program.
View Quote
Im curious how good their program is at calculating/estimating shrink and what percentage of he time they get a dimensionally accurate part after sintering.  Calculating shrink in castings can be a harsh mistress.  I would assume its a bit easier with this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I found a company that will 3D pint any file you send them and then mail it to you, and they can print in metal (aluminum, copper, bronze, steel, titanium, silver, or gold).  What would be the legal ramifications for say, sending them a file for a pistol frame or a rifle reciever and having it printed in steel or aluminum?  Would I, the sender of the file, be the legal manufacturer, or would they be?

Also, assuming its legal, got any files for frames or recievers I can file away for a rainy day?
View Quote
They would be the manufacturer.  And I know that Shapeways will refuse to print anything they can identify as a gun part.  There are a few printing services that have their FFLs and are ITAR registered and will print firearms for you, it would have to be transferred through a local FFL.  And it would be prohibitively expensive.  I know of a company that used a 3D printed aluminum frame for a prototype, it cost them several thousand.  I'm sure they've recouped the cost via selling their injection molded production models, but the average consumer isn't going to drop that kind of money on a firearm, especially when other options are readily available.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless they are some pretty complicated geometry you are probably better off just having them machined.  Pretty good chance the printed part would have to be machined anyway, depending on geometry and tolerances DMLS may not produce a part that will work directly out of the printer.
View Quote
I might be better off pouring babbitt but that stuff is getting expensive. I was thinking bronze would last longer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://i.materialise.com

https://www.shapeways.com

There are a lot more people who offer printing services but those are the common two online ones.
View Quote
That first one was the one I was looking at.

I have a program that was preinstalled on my laptop that lets me design 3D objects to be printed, when you hit “print” you can either print it yourself if you have a 3D printer, or it automatically uploads your design to that company and takes you to their site to order it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Last time I looked a DMLS printer with a build box large enough to accommodate an AR lower was around $500k
View Quote
This.  Metal printers are not the kind you build yourself for a few hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if they could "Lease you a 3D printer" for 12 hours?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Could you argue that, since they are being paid to do a service, that they are contractors, under your employ?  Or does the build have to be 100% with your own hand?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is how you introduce the man into your life.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#28]
i was thinking the same, or this to a laser or edm shop

the may not know they are making an illegal item. I wonder how that would go in court.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Could you argue that, since they are being paid to do a service, that they are contractors, under your employ?  Or does the build have to be 100% with your own hand?
View Quote
imaterialize is in Belgium, so you've got a lot more to deal with than just US firearms laws.

If you used an American company theyd still need an FFL and youd need an approved variance for your FFL for them to manufacture firearms with your info on them.  

As as for making a home built firearm, no one can legally do that for you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to CNC cut it from a block of metal?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Dooooooo eeeeeeeet!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're called 80% lowers for a reason, I think you can figure the rest out on your own.

You're on your own from 81% on...
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice keychain bottle opener you got there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I've wanted to build an oversized version of that for ages.  One 2* the correct size would be a cool paperweight.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#35]
So another 3D printing gun question, if I have someone 3D print me a sand mold for an AR15 lower, legally speaking it's just a chunk of sand.  Correct?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could "Lease you a 3D printer" for 12 hours?
View Quote
A company tried that with their cnc machines and milling ar receivers. It didn't work out well for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top