Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2017 8:05:56 PM EDT
If I am not mistaken there are 2 or 3 movies that tie The Thing with Kurt Russel together. What is the name of the movie that is the prequel to it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The prequel is also titled "The Thing", most commonly written as "The Thing (2011)".
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Godzilla vs. the Thing

Godzilla Vs. The Thing (1964)
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know. There were two movies. Both were titled "The Thing".
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The Thing From Another World was the original from the 50s
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably not what you're asking, but:

Carpenter called it the "Apocalypse Trilogy", but the stories (while perhaps taking place in the same world) aren't related to one another directly.

The Thing (1982)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
In The Mouth of Madness (1995).

As pertains to The Thing, there are only two movies.  The 1982 Thing, and the Thing Prequel (2011).  The 1982 movie used footage from the 1951 movie to represent the Norwegian team....but, obviously, that's retconned out when the Prequel came out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The prequel is also titled "The Thing", most commonly written as "The Thing (2011)".
View Quote
I was thinking for some reason there was a movie where they dug up the original alien. Then at the end, they were trying to freeze it back and the dog got away, which was the beginning of The Thing with Kurt Russel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was thinking for some reason there was a movie where they dug up the original alien. Then at the end, they were trying to freeze it back and the dog got away, which was the beginning of The Thing with Kurt Russel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah... That's called The Thing (2011)... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Edit: Final scene

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ahhhh. I was thinking The Thing 2011 was a re-make of the 1982 one.

Quoted:
The Thing From Another World was the original from the 50s
View Quote
From what I have read, the 1982 one was not a re-make but used more to write the 1982 one.
Quoted:

Yeah... That's called The Thing (2011)... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Edit: Final scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwVfV69ssk
View Quote
The title was throwing me off I guess. I have watched the 1982 one so many times, my favorite movie, actually watching it now which is the reason for this topic.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The Thing 2011 was a prequel done right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Thing 2011 was a prequel done right.
View Quote
I gotta agree. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.  John Carpenter films are among some of my favorite all time.

But I'd never heard of the The Thing 2011 prequel.  I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting.  John Carpenter films are among some of my favorite all time.

But I'd never heard of the The Thing 2011 prequel.  I'll have to check it out.
View Quote
I's nowhere near as good as Carpenter's "The Thing," which was closest to the book (Who Goes There?) that it was derived from. The original "The Thing From Another World" deviated way off from the book I imagine because they didn't have the budget for the special effects required to bring the book to the screen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
The prequel really isn't too bad.  It was filmed with practical effects like the 1982 Carpenter one, but the producers or studio or somebody with the purse (don't remember, been a long time since I read about it) made them go back and CGI over the practical effects.  I think it would have been a lot better and really have the feel of the 1982 one if they hadn't done that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not seen the Prequel yet.   Need to get on that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The prequel really isn't too bad.  It was filmed with practical effects like the 1982 Carpenter one, but the producers or studio or somebody with the purse (don't remember, been a long time since I read about it) made them go back and CGI over the practical effects.  I think it would have been a lot better and really have the feel of the 1982 one if they hadn't done that.
View Quote
I liked the movie but the CGI stuff was terrible - like worse than Transformers level bad. The effects in the 82 version were state of the art - at the time - and still look good today. 2011 was an effects shit show in comparison.
Wish some really good writers would take this story and run with it for a few more stories and movies. The premise is great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not one to get super hung up on effects, so they looked really good to me.

I loved them both and as far as prequels are concerned this is likely the best out there and ties in perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have not seen the Prequel yet.   Need to get on that.
View Quote
It's very much worth watching if you like the previous film as it adheres to the same feel, theme and flavor.  It got bad reviews on rotten tomatoes and other sites.  Mostly because it does not live up to the prior film...well duh!  The popularity of the prior was why a prequel was made in the first place.

The prequel does not create any plot holes I can remember and does not try to reinvent the wheel, it dovetails with JC Thing really well.  In the prior film when you see the dog run from the helicopter rifleman, one asks why; what happened?  the prequel answers that question.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Childs was the thing..
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Childs was the thing..
View Quote
Racist.

Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Some place I remember reading that the studio told the writers to redo the JC version.  After some time, the writers came back and said they couldn't do it.... the JC version was just too good and nothing they could do would be better.  Hence the idea for for prequel.  Apparently, IIRC, they used the set from the JC version or recreated it right down to the axe in wall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I liked the movie but the CGI stuff was terrible - like worse than Transformers level bad. The effects in the 82 version were state of the art - at the time - and still look good today. 2011 was an effects shit show in comparison.
Wish some really good writers would take this story and run with it for a few more stories and movies. The premise is great.
View Quote
I saw a short special talking about the 1982 one. Guy who did special effects said it was when he found out KY Jelly came in 55 gal drums...
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's very much worth watching if you like the previous film as it adheres to the same feel, theme and flavor.  It got bad reviews on rotten tomatoes and other sites.  Mostly because it does not live up to the prior film...well duh!  The popularity of the prior was why a prequel was made in the first place.

The prequel does not create any plot holes I can remember and does not try to reinvent the wheel, it dovetails with JC Thing really well.  In the prior film when you see the dog run from the helicopter rifleman, one asks why; what happened?  the prequel answers that question.
View Quote
The only mistake I saw was that, in the original, the block of ice the creature came out of was still mostly intact. In the prequel, it busted the entire block to pieces. Never mind that both were wrong, it's not like the damn thing would thaw while encased in ice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I just discovered there's a board game based on The Thing... Adding this to the Christmas wish list.

How to Play The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31

Cheapest I have found it: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/usost051-524.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The 2011 prequel was well done. I was expecting it to totally suck. There were some solid kill scenes and the acting was tight. Definitely worth seeing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top