Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2017 8:56:11 AM EDT
Who can solve it?

Wife bought me one and I am flummoxed, absolutely fluxxomed.   Any good guides out there?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I learned now to solve it in middle school and I think I still remember.

It's fun to mess with kids when they're tinkering with it. I just pick it up and say something smart like "you just have to turn the middle one back and forth a few times and you can fix it".

I actually bought a $2 guide of ebay back in the day, that's how I learned. I would look at one that advertises the fewest number of steps. I think I had to memorize 4 moves and then it's just a matter of doing the right move at the right time. Really not that hard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Cube of the devil. Damn things drive me nuts because I've never solved one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Kids got one as a present one Christmas.
Me being a nerd memorized the algorithm.  I solve it when they go to sleep and leave it for them to find the next day.

Memorize this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Just have to learn the patterns.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to be able to. Get one side done first. That will give you 4 blocks of each adjoining side also. I cant remember from there!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just have to learn the patterns.  
View Quote
This I had a buddy teach me and it's actually quite simple once you know the patterns.  But I haven't messed with one in quite a while and couldn't solve it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Pop a corner cube off, solve it mechanically.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me being a nerd memorized the algorithm.  I solve it when they go to sleep and leave it for them to find the next day.

Memorize this.
View Quote
I clicked on the link and started reading. Then I realized I still hate rubiks cube from back in the 80's,

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I knew how to when I was a kid. It was a simple pattern.  I have long forgotten how to now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes. Takes about 2-3 weeks to properly encode. Then practice 1x a week to sustain mylenation. Then after that at least every 2 weeks or you forget the last two steps - flipping the bottom corners, and moving the middle edge pieces.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
You just need a pot of boiling water. Hold the cube over the pot for a minute, the steam will loosen the colored stickers so you can peel them off and put them where they are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Memorize this.
View Quote
no
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just pull it apart and put it back together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Once you figure out a few algorithms to move certain pieces where you want them, it becomes a breeze. Fun for road trips.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Memorize this.
View Quote
Yup. This is the way I solve it. It's the easiest one because you really only have to memorize a few moves. Then it's just learning when to do each move.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

no
View Quote
It looks really daunting, but notice most of the moves are repetitive. I seriously think I only use 4 moves to solve the whole damn cube. Just a matter of doing the right moves.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Never did learn. My one son can and even has a "speed cube" that you can rotate faster.

I was also given a 4x4 cube one year. Couldn't do that one either. So, I was in a toy store one time and saw a 2x2 cube. "I know!", I thought to myself, "I'll get this one. Any idiot should be able to solve that!!!"

Well, apparently not just any idiot can.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes I can solve one.
My son can solve it in under a minute. I never bothered to learn until he started on them. Didn't want to be out done
You'll need to learn a few algorithms but they'll become muscle memory after doing them.
He's got me into it
We got a few speed cubes. 3x3, 2x2,4x4,5x5, skewbs, pyrminx,gigiminx,megaminx, ghost cubes,mirror cubes.He can blaze through them except the ghost cube.
Once you learn a few algorithm you can apply them to a lot of the cubes

I have one on my desk or bag that I solve to waste some time. Coworkers try to solve it everynow and then and be like WTF

Look at the guys links up thread on how to build the white cross.
Doing the Daisy method is probably the easiest until you learn to just build the white cross without it

Then I'd skip the beginners method of doing layer by layer and instead use F2L(First 2 Layers)
It's quicker than the beginner method and this guy below videos shows how to do the best out of all the youtube vids I've watched

Part 1
Easy F2L for Beginners - RiDo's Hunting Story for F2L (1of2)

Part 2

Easy F2L for Beginners - RiDo's Hunting Story for F2L (2of2)

Then find a method to solve the last layer. My son can do it all visually but some I always use an algorithm to set my last layer up so it can be solved using the U Perm algorithm
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#20]
My 11 yo daughter is in a after school rubix cube club. I made her a rubix cube Halloween costume.

She has been able to get one solid side and the top two rows on 4 sides for about a week now.

Solved it last night. Was F’n thrilled.

I don’t get it
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one, solved it a handful of times, but doubt I could anymore.

Back when I really enjoyed it I always wanted the 4 square one to try.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I solved it a couple of times 30 or so years ago... there's no way i could do it now...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I had one as a kid but never figured out how to solve more than a couple sides at once.

But now, there is this thing called YouTube. I found a great video or two on the proper algorithms to solve it, and can do it pretty easily now.

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#24]
LEGO Robot breaks the Rubik's Cube World Record

Build a robot
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Look up "Bad Mephisto" and Rubics Cube. He has a pretty good website and Youtube videos. If you learn the basic method, it'll take you a day or two and you can solve it in 2 or 3 minutes and need to memorize 15ish algorithms. If you decide to keep going and shorten your time, the number of algorithms goes way up but you can get down to 30-45 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have two in my bag.  They're the original fidget toy...

You can either learn the long/hard way by intuiting how the cubes move or you can find a method.

The old "Simple Solution to the Rubik's Cube" books (you can probably find one used for cheap) is basically solve by layers:  Solve the top, solve the middle edges, solve the bottom.  It's very iterative and not efficient but it gets the job done.

The most "common" solution system is CFOP.  Solve a cross, insert paired corner/edges for the first two layers (F2L), Orient the last layer (OLL, basically get the bottom color solved), permute the last layer (PLL, basically fix what's mis aligned.)  There's a simple notation to learn for which side to rotate, but it takes some getting used to.  But advanced CFOP really needs you to memorize lots of patterns, about 57 of them.  There's a simpler less efficient version of CFOP that is still faster than many methods, that means you only need to memorize about 14 patterns (and many are paired, so it's more like 8 patterns), it's called 2LOOK.  You can find videos on it about the web, and several sites show the patterns for 2LOOK and CFOP.  Ruwix, cubewhiz, etc have information on the notation used, and the algorithms that you memorize (really you memorize a recognition of the pattern, then you execute one of the algorithms by muscle memory).  There was a Gizmodo article where someone went from not being able to solve the cube to learning 2LOOK and doing it in under a few minutes.  Unless you intend to become a speedcube competitor, 2LOOK will probably get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who can solve it?

Wife bought me one and I am flummoxed, absolutely fluxxomed.   Any good guides out there?
View Quote

Eject.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#28]
i can solve it.  Just learn to solve the first layer, setting the edge pieces but ignoring the corner pieces.  Then when you have the cross, solve the edge pieces in the first layer.  Now one of the three layers is solved, and you need to learn the algorithms for the next to layers.  Some memorization is involved but it’s really impressive when you can solve it
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top