Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2017 7:24:33 PM EDT
Just curious, when, if ever would it be appropriate to mix uniforms up with different color schemes or patterns?

I don't have a specific scenario or combination in mind, just wondering what other think or if you ever been in an agency that let you pick you uniform.

Example would be dcu bottom with woodland top or multicam bottom and desert top, etc.

ETA- I'm not talking about transition to OCP with acu ocie or anything like that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The only time i really mixed camouflage patterns (at work) was in mountain warfare school.

We wore green camouflage gortex jackets and white overpants to better blend in with trees above and snow below
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i do it, different plants at different heights and all that

also matching sets are more expensive
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
How gauche.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How gauche.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Multicam line is designed to mix and match.

A friend that was in afghan told me that he was very impressed with their woodland vests over 3 color DCUs

I currently mix and match green And FDE. My PC and battle belt are green and most pouches/ holsters are FDE
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
None of my camo matches...

I realize that I am taking a huge risk and it could cost me my life someday, until then I just have to deal with the snickers and giggles when more fashionably conscious and higher tier individuals see me in Walmart after I get done hunting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only time i really mixed camouflage patterns (at work) was in mountain warfare school.

We wore green camouflage gortex jackets and white overpants to better blend in with trees above and snow below
View Quote
Good point this is what I was looking for.
In my AO it's a lot of pine trees with Sandy ground dcu bottom and greenish top would work I think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I mix when goose hunting and coyote hunting. It breaks up your shape
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mountain Warfare in Vermont?
That was the most fun I had in a military school. Awesome course.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I mix camo all the time
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
You should wear crye multicam combat pants (black kneepads) with woodland marpat compat top. Then you will look like cag.

Just playing, but I have seen some high speed dudes mixing and matching. I prefer all multicams.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Before they switched to their version of multicam, British soldiers in Afghanistan would wear desert pattern trousers with woodland DPM tops.  That way their torsos better matched the foliage while their lower halves matched the sandy ground in mixed terrain
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my AO it's a lot of pine trees with Sandy ground dcu bottom and greenish top would work I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Green top / desert pants is definitely a thing, just like the green/white.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I mix when goose hunting and coyote hunting. It breaks up your shape
View Quote
This.  I often mix it up (top vs bottom) whilst deer hunting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen  it  for  really cold  snow cover.......  staying warm  was are only concern
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Matching camo is for metrosexuals.

I had five different patterns on this morning.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
We mixed coyote and woodland a lot. I still do.

MARPAT and woodland got mixed a lot to when I was in because we were transitioning.

I like desert trousers, woodland tops in the fall/winter
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]
For hunting I Mix and match nearly a dozen different kinds of camo depending on the day and season.  Seems to do just fine with getting close to game.  I'm sure it will do fine for the Zombie apocalypse as well.

Neighbors probably think I'm crazy.   That's good as it tends to scare them off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The whole purpose of camo is to break up your outline.
Mixing camo helps to achieve this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Winter.

You don't look like a tree if you wear white overpants. You just don't look like a human when you're sillouetted in front of stuff.

Also best to white out the legs, with how much movement your legs will have walking around. Also assuming you're walking on or in snow.

Many guys won't match for hunting, just to break up their shape.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's some non-matching. Doesn't seem effective! Haha, here's the unforgetable historical event that will be remembered for its camo schemes in use....

Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Finland knows how to do it

Link Posted: 12/2/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]
In Somalia, I wore a 3 color desert boonies hat, chocolate chip cammies, woodland flak jacket (not always worn), green deuce gear, and black boots.

I still think it looked pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've worn my surplus French CCE pants with my British MTP jacket and German Flecktarn parka. Feels like WWIII.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I always match a skinny jean jacket to my skinny jean pants. Bunch of damn savages in here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How gauche.
View Quote

I mix Mossy Oak Brush pants and Max-One tops all the time.

I can’t believe gauche is still around.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Its really about your accessories tying the entire outfit together.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
When that’s what you got. We mixed acu uniforms with Bdu and desert camo IBAs for probably half my time in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe when camping. Seems all my wet/cold gear is from different eras.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I mix RealTree, MossyOak and the old school “blob” Camo all the time.  Deer don’t seem to care.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I mix Pink urban camo shirts with zombie green BDU bottoms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here's some non-matching. Doesn't seem effective! Haha, here's the unforgetable historical event that will be remembered for its camo schemes in use....

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/D6JWN7/us-marines-special-operations-team-position-during-the-invasion-of-D6JWN7.jpg
View Quote
I love the devil dog on the left with the brass knuckles... lol

This pic makes me giggle everytime I see it...
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Non standard uniforms are ok if you have the right beard.

Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beat me to it.  The USMC also teaches that at Mountain Warfare Training Center.  Just to clarify for those not used to snowy environments, eventually snow falls off pine trees, which are, of course, evergreens.  There can still be several  feet  of snow on the ground.  Woodland over white works much better is such conditions than all white or all woodland.

I've only done it a few times, but a woodland top over a DCU bottom seemed to work well in a desert that had scrub brush and light colored sand.

My kids like paintball.  When there are dead leaves on the ground and spring vegetation just starting to appear I had good results with multicam over desert digital.

There have been a bunch of times I've seen SEALs mix uniforms.  It wasn't usually because the combination was more effective (sometimes what they wore was a little less effective) but because they knew they could, and they wanted to be different.  A couple did wear overwhite pants with the gray PCU top In Norway.  It was effective, especially at night.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Do I have the right beard?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you ever been to Arkansas?  Thats like every second person
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Afghanistan in 2004 I had DCU top and bottoms, BDU vest, DCU helmet cover and green camo band.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Faded woodland top and dcu bottoms fuck with the eye ball pretty good in the woods
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Hiding from people or critters..?
Critters are easier. I rarely wear all camo anymore. Mostly due to living in the city and driving out to hunt lease and back after the sun goes down. I would rather not stand out in public wearing full out camo.
I have not noticed any difference in the critters get5ing spooked. Stay quiet and limit movement. Usually wear solids. Green or kaki pants, kaki or A camo shirt. So far the critters don’t care.

People.. dam hard to hide from people under about 75 yards unless you are sitting, crouching or prone. Reguardless of the magic pattern. Yes some are better but hands and faces stand out.
Best way to hide from people is a full out ghillie suit matching the vegetation while prone or sitting.. I have had people walk or drive a buggy within 50 feet and never notice me. Really the only camo I carry and just a leafy wear 3D bug top with a hood.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#41]
In the real world, anything that breaks up a pattern will work.  You could mix and match the most ridiculous pattern upper and bottom and make it work if the colors/break up is close to the natural terrain.

I think it's funny when people make fun of the hunting posts here because the pants and shirt don't match, but I'd bet that the pattern would work against a person trying to find someone slow stalking or sitting still.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
We did this in Alaska when I was in 6th ID. We rarely wore the over white top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top