Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2017 3:17:23 AM EDT
Picked this up... plus a bunch of mags, pouches, scope and bayonet. Rifle is marked Century Arms R1A1 Sporter. Has a stainless barrel which seems uncommon? I'm thinking it may have been build from a parts kit.

Also came with this old scope that I've never seen before. If anyone could shed some light on the rifle and optic I'd appreciate it. Curious as to value.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

optic pics next post
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
S.U.I.T. TRILUX l2a2.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s the optic that the Brits sometimes used in the L1A1 issued rifle... that particular one looks like it made it to Israel.
View Quote
What gave it away
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Hebrew writing, so I'm going to assume it's a Russian sniper scope used during the civil war.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Bible verse ACOG
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I wanted one of those once upon a time. Problem is the tritium is burned out in ALL of them, which isn't surprising given their age.

I read a post on FAL files where guys were disassembling them and replacing the tritium vials, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless you are building a clone rifle or something.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wanted one of those once upon a time. Problem is the tritium is burned out in ALL of them, which isn't surprising given their age.

I read a post on FAL files where guys were disassembling them and replacing the tritium vials, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless you are building a clone rifle or something.
View Quote
It would be neat to have. The objective lens is off centre of the bore. Wouldn't that cause problems shooting with both eyes open? Plus it's got that fucked up reticle.

What is going on with that reticle!?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Got one with my FAL I picked up a gun show. Yours is slightly different then mine, the cylinder thing with a cap after the eye piece is a plastic cap with a clear spot so the reticle lights up without the tritium.

Tritium is long dead in mine but I popped the cover off where it is and it's just stuck in some clay like stuff, was looking into a replacement vial but forgot about it until this thread.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]
At one time there were battery powered aftermarket LED replacements available for illuminating the reticle.

The reticle comes out of the top of the field of view and points down, so that the reticle never obscures the
target if you have to hold high.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
here's a thread on replacing the Tritium vial

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190091
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
S.U.I.T. TRILUX l2a2.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!

What do you think the rifle itself might be worth?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks!

What do you think the rifle itself might be worth?
View Quote
Century arms and their infamous fucked up gray powder coating? I'd pay $500, you could probably get $1000 out of the EE or if you listed it on GunBroker, maybe $700-$800.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#15]
They Israelis also made a mount to use the sight with an M16.  Cheek weld is non-existent but it's somewhat stable because of the way the rubber eye protector fits against your cheek.
Not any worse than an old Starlight scope on a carry handle.

Mine has one of the little drop-in LED's to illuminate the reticle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:34:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At one time there were battery powered aftermarket LED replacements available for illuminating the reticle.

The reticle comes out of the top of the field of view and points down, so that the reticle never obscures the
target if you have to hold high.
View Quote
That actual6 sounds like a good idea if Your reticle is as big as that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Search ebay for trilux tritium. They have red and red/green inserts for about a bill
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hebrew writing, so I'm going to assume it's a Russian sniper scope used during the civil war.
View Quote

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#19]
The tritium vials are super easy to replace in SUIT scopes. At the base of the knob on top there is a small snap ring, remove it, then pull the knob straight up. On one side will be like a white clay that holds the dead vial. Go to Falfiles and there is an on going thread there on where to get new vials. They can be had in many colors, red, green, blue, etc. Red is what they originally had in them. Now clean out the old white clay with a knife, replace it with a dab of white caulking and press the new vial into it. You should be good for 5-10 years now.

Here's Trilux SUIT on my L1A1 that I replaced the tritium vial in. The one above it is an HK with an HK NV scope (Hensoldt scope in front of it) and CETME over that.

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bible verse ACOG
View Quote
LOL
No.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]
What markings are on the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The theory was that with recoil etc the post would obscure the target, if it came from the top it worked the same as a bottom post but you could see what you were aiming at better.   I think they swapped to a normal post when they went to the bullpup with its SUSAT:

SUSAT
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Picked this up... plus a bunch of mags, pouches, scope and bayonet. Rifle is marked Century Arms R1A1 Sporter. Has a stainless barrel which seems uncommon? I'm thinking it may have been build from a parts kit.

Also came with this old scope that I've never seen before. If anyone could shed some light on the rifle and optic I'd appreciate it. Curious as to value.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282730/1205171555a-382503.JPG

optic pics next post
View Quote
The barrel looks L1a1 and has a PNG flash hider.  The lower is metric, maybe off a G1?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What gave it away
View Quote
LOL must have been the hieroglyphics
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Mount that and you will be going Old Testament.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bible verse ACOG
View Quote
Yep. Definitely an Old Testament verse, though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It would be neat to have. The objective lens is off centre of the bore. Wouldn't that cause problems shooting with both eyes open? Plus it's got that fucked up reticle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reticle is nicknamed "The finger from God."
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#30]
OP  needs to rewatch the documentary "HEAT"

AL PACHINO talks about how He used it to smoke bad guys on that same rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I re-tritium'ed (?) a couple of them during that time frame-- there was a shop in the Netherlands that exported the vials, so I bought a bunch and stuck them in the caps with common wall spackle, has worked great for ten years. The trick can be finding the caps-- so many were replaced with those sad LED replacements, or just yanked and tossed during demil-- but it isn't particularly hard, or even very expensive, just needs a bit of homework. (Took a small handful of them and stuck them under my wife's crystal ball in its velvet-lined case, looked amazing the next time she opened it-- she didn't drop a stitch, and now our granddaughter looks at her in a new light--)

ETA: Decent find, take it out and shoot the doors off it!
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#32]
That one might have a 5.56 cam. Here is a British 7.62 one. Note the removed tritium unit, as was necessary for the import of this batch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It’s the optic that the Brits sometimes used in the L1A1 issued rifle... that particular one looks like it made it to Israel.
View Quote
Agree
I remember a bunch of Israeli-made sights like that for sale in the mid-90’s.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The theory was that with recoil etc the post would obscure the target, if it came from the top it worked the same as a bottom post but you could see what you were aiming at better.   I think they swapped to a normal post when they went to the bullpup with its SUSAT:

SUSAT
View Quote
I have a few SUITs, and the reticle design is a great idea. It's just too thick & the point is too blunt
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#35]
~ Are you positive the barrel is stainless? Pull the handguards and tell us what markings it has.

~ Swing that carry handle up and take an in focus pic of the receiver markings.

Need to know those 2 things for anyone to estimate value.

All CAI FALs are parts guns. They took demilled f/a FAL kits ( saw cut through upper receiver) and assembled them on Imbel, Argy ( the two best) forged uppers, and later, on their own cast receivers.  The Imbels are stamped Made by Imbel Imported by CAI, Argies often lack an Argy stamp.

For inch L1A1s, they made a couple of milling cuts to the metric uppers to make them fit the inch charging handle and large inch mag locking lug.

They also sold a bunch of Imbel uppers alone, which made them available to guys like me to build on our own kits.

Century builds vary. If they run, they are good to go.  If not, they need work- feed ramps are a notorious problem area.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bible Torah verse ACOG
View Quote
Fify
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/suit-184820.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/suit2-184829.jpgThat one might have a 5.56 cam. Here is a British 7.62 one. Note the removed tritium unit, as was necessary for the import of this batch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/suit-184820.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/suit2-184829.jpgThat one might have a 5.56 cam. Here is a British 7.62 one. Note the removed tritium unit, as was necessary for the import of this batch.
There is exactly one cam for the Trilux SUIT. The same cam is used for the 7.62mm, the 5.56mm & the 84mm AT Carl Gustav round.
The zero markings are different though to allow for the differing trajectories. Your Izzy sight is marked for 250 & 450 METERS (Izzy 5.56mm) & the Commonwealth ones in 7.62mm were marked in 300 & 500 YARDS.
http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=15356
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Hnnnnnnnnng

Want.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is exactly one cam for the Trilux SUIT. The same cam is used for the 7.62mm, the 5.56mm & the 84mm AT Carl Gustav round.
The zero markings are different though to allow for the differing trajectories. Your Izzy sight is marked for 250 & 450 METERS (Izzy 5.56mm) & the Commonwealth ones in 7.62mm were marked in 300 & 500 YARDS.
Interesting...
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is a shot through mine. That tree line is 800 feet or so away.

Before the safety Nazis attack, I'm just holding the SUIT alone.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]
The rifle looks like a mutt; inch parts on a generic Century receiver. It may shoot well, or it may be a total mess with regard to reliability. There is a reason that Century’s “gunsmiths” of that era were known as ‘Angry Beavers’, as many of their FALs that they built were somewhat ‘unrefined’, which is a polite way of putting it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#42]
That mount looks cobbled together, not a correct mount as it's way to high above the bore.  Lower went through Rhodesia, probably South African.  Barrel looks US made.  Front sight won't match up with the rear.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That mount looks cobbled together, not a correct mount as it's way to high above the bore.  Lower went through Rhodesia, probably South African.  Barrel looks US made.  Front sight won't match up with the rear.
View Quote
A Franken-FAL, for sure.

*as in ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’, cobbled together from spare parts, not the lecherous douchebag senator from Minnesota.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I doubt Century actually built it.  They sold a bunch of receivers marked that way cheap.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't there issues with the century builds?
View Quote
Some .  Mine is a mix of domestic and parts from an stg kit on a imbel receiver.  Flawless mixmaster.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#47]
All I can say is that that's a very rare optics mount, lol.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't there issues with the century builds?
View Quote
They earned their nickname on the FalFiles for a reason, “The Angry Beavers”..
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top