BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that a lot of people aren't seeing what happened in this. There are two cops involved. The supervisor who yelling out the commands and the cover officer, who shot. The shooter is the one who stood trial. A lot of the outrage seems directed at the person yelling commands, but he is not the one on trial.
View Quote
Thats what I see as well.  The suspect looked like someone complying just enough to eventually get to a weapon, hindsight is 20/20.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think that a lot of people aren't seeing what happened in this. There are two cops involved. The supervisor who yelling out the commands and the cover officer, who shot. The shooter is the one who stood trial. A lot of the outrage seems directed at the person yelling commands, but he is not the one on trial.
View Quote
That's what I've heard.  The supervisor also retired and left the country.  He was ignoring subpoenas and had to be coaxed back to the US (meaning, his retirement check direct deposit stopped working... or something to that effect).
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Once again, I will reiterate, that the cop shooting was not the same as the person giving the commands. The supervisor was the person giving the commands.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's also the fact those silky shorts couldn't hide a gun, as they wouldn't support the weight of a gun.  Also, even though there may have been another "gunman" in the room, the cop had plenty of cover, so instead of dicking around having the guy cross his legs and then crawl forward with his legs crossed (WTF?) he could have simply gone to the proned-out guy and cuffed him while being covered by the other cop(s).  There is zero excuse for shooting the guy.
View Quote
The officer only had concealment, there is no safe cover especially when the call came in as a guy with a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The officer only had concealment, there is no safe cover especially when the call came in as a guy with a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also the fact those silky shorts couldn't hide a gun, as they wouldn't support the weight of a gun.  Also, even though there may have been another "gunman" in the room, the cop had plenty of cover, so instead of dicking around having the guy cross his legs and then crawl forward with his legs crossed (WTF?) he could have simply gone to the proned-out guy and cuffed him while being covered by the other cop(s).  There is zero excuse for shooting the guy.
Only rifles I saw were pointing at the suspect.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact, nearly everyone we deal with do not speak English.  A lot of hand signals are used.  That, and you should hear how the terps yell at them.

Using a serious, command voice, which some seam to think is ridiculous or unwarranted, is in fact a valid technique for gaining and maintaining control of suspects, even if they don’t speak English; they can often tell from the inflection/tone of your voice whether they’re doing it right or not.

“Would you please, pretty please put down any weapons that you have and swear, I mean pinky swear not to shoot me when I approach you?” May work on some; a determined bad guy would probably blow you off if not away.

Again, for those questioning the officer’s tone, let’s see them use the “snowflake” method above when responding to three possible active shooters, only two of which are visible.

Better yet, how many of our resident cop-hating internet tough guys would be any less harsh if three drunk guys with weapons ended up on or in their property?  They probably wouldn’t even try to talk them down but would shoot first.  Of course they’ll claim the circumstances are totally different, but in reality they aren’t.
View Quote
Who's talking about tone? Bombarding a nervous individual with a series of ridiculous demands with the threat of death proceeding each one is a phenomenal way to push a compliant suspect into someone who is panicked and out of control. Even the greenest asshole in the room understands this. Dude escalated a simple situation into a lethal force scenario for his own ego, or is simply the most incompetent idiot I've ever seen and that's saying a lot as I've worked with NYPD ESU.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait.

That was the supervisor giving those commands?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.

Yes, it was another officer, not Brailsford.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.

Oh wow.  I went back and watched the video again.  I believe this is correct, another officer was giving those commands.  
I think that changes things.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL @ the entire concept of asking an impaired person if they're impaired, and using that answer to justify anything.
View Quote
His response did not sound like an intoxicated/impaired person to me and his actions were suggesting someone that was working to get to a weapon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
From the time he left the door they told him they were going to shoot him, they wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
But there could have been another gunman behind the door ready to light you up.  No one would have known until after the room was cleared.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As posted earlier this was a ruled "good shoot " by a jury
View Quote
No, they ruled that the cop was not guilty of murder or manslaughter beyond a reasonable doubt.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once again, I will reiterate, that the cop shooting was not the same as the person giving the commands. The supervisor was the person giving the commands.
View Quote
Then they BOTH should have been tried and convicted of murder

They both worked in unison to create a deadly game of Simon says.
They transformed a simple situation where 2 unarmed suspects were proned out on a floor and compliant with: face down - legs crossed and hands behind their heads into a chaotic stressful scene of shouts - threats and near impossible to follow instructions thrown at the 2 unarmed suspects... all while under direct threat of being shot and killed multiple times.

They protected and served their death warrant exactly like they choreographed it with their terrible police work
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh wow.  I went back and watched the video again.  I believe this is correct, another officer was giving those commands.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.

It is correct, and it blows 1/2 of the arguments in the thread out of the water, but ARFCOM doesn’t care about that:  all of the cops involved acted as a team and they all went in there hoping for the chance to kill someone.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I dunno dude.

I ain't a hidden badge, but if I got a "Man with a Gun" call, a non-complaint suspect, that I've warned numerous times not to do what hes doing, and then he reaches behind him as if to pull a weapon from his SOB or SS, I have a hard time saying I wouldn't pull the trigger on him too.

The You're Fucked dust cover was a stupid ass decision, but isn't germane to whether the shooting is justifiable or not.
View Quote
All of this. Clean enough shoot, bad dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
That was sickening to watch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
"In the video, Shaver appeared confused by Langley's commands on what to do with his hands.

At one point in the video, Shaver puts his hands down and behind his back. Langley, who was in charge and the only one yelling out commands, quickly orders him to put them back in the air or else he would be shot, the video shows."

Former Mesa police sergeant backs decision by officer now on trial in fatal shooting
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did we watch the same video?

Because nothing I saw suggested compliance at all.

I saw him flipping between compliance and non-compliance, tending more to non-compliance.

Words are meaningless, Actions matter.

When he reached around, that screams "gun" to me.

All I know is that I'm following the Police's instructions exactly, especially when they have an AR15 pointed at me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno dude.

I ain't a hidden badge, but if I got a "Man with a Gun" call, a non-complaint suspect, that I've warned numerous times not to do what hes doing, and then he reaches behind him as if to pull a weapon from his SOB or SS, I have a hard time saying I wouldn't pull the trigger on him too.

The You're Fucked dust cover was a stupid ass decision, but isn't germane to whether the shooting is justifiable or not.
The subject was very compliant while begging the cop not to shoot him.

Cop's tactics were very poor in bringing the subject/threat up to him.

He got off light with the manslaughter conviction.
Did we watch the same video?

Because nothing I saw suggested compliance at all.

I saw him flipping between compliance and non-compliance, tending more to non-compliance.

Words are meaningless, Actions matter.

When he reached around, that screams "gun" to me.

All I know is that I'm following the Police's instructions exactly, especially when they have an AR15 pointed at me.
They set that kid up to fail.

Why not cuff them while they're flat on their faces ?

wow...
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Sgt. Charles Langley was the one giving the commands, not Brailsford.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno dude.

Time + excuses = kill shot
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Cover me!"

I meant "cover" by other officer(s) present.  There was at least one other there to provide cover in case the third guy appeared while the guy was cuffed.
View Quote
While that is true, they would have been exposed to the door and a possible rifle aimed at them.  Its a shit sandwich and unfortunately a guy lost his life for something stupid.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty pro cop but those fuckers need to be locked up.  Typical power trip losers
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So is Mesa gonna burn down tonight?
View Quote
LOL no.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But there could have been another gunman behind the door ready to light you up.  No one would have known until after the room was cleared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nupe. If they were worried about another gunman, they would've gotten the 2 down the hallway. Not sprawl them out in front of the door, tell them multiple times they'll be killed, and then after killing one of them, proceed to stand directly in front of the hotel room door.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was a good shoot. Period and a jury agrees.

If the suspect was black everyone would be making fun of him and praising the cop for taking a dirt bag off the streets.

No one here was there so stop armchair quarter backing it. If you have a problem, go join your local department as a full-time or reserve police officer. MAGA!
View Quote
You're right, we all hate black people. Except you, right? And if we can't discuss things anymore you might as well shut the site down.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nupe. If they were worried about another gunman, they would've gotten the 2 down the hallway. Not sprawl them out in front of the door, tell them multiple times they'll be killed, and then after killing one of them, proceed to stand directly in front of the hotel room door.

http://rlv.zcache.com/close_your_eyes_laughing_emoji_classic_round_sticker-r93d6e3c9a6314d27bdece8ca40e36bf2_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg
View Quote
Youre into emoji today

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just NOT going to read all nine pages of what I suspect is a back-n-forth between 'respect my authority' and... the rest of us.

I have two teenaged kids.  Good kids.  They hang with the right crowd.  Get good grades.  Not interested in booze or causing mischief.

I'm seriously thinking about having them watch this video, letting them read some of the resident LEO comments of 'Good Shoot', and letting them know the guy who executed that kid is most likely gonna walk.

You guys are gonna show my kids why they need to stay away from LEO.  In uniform and out.

Were there any resident LEO condemning this shoot in this thread ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Operating in AFG or Iraq does not compare to some hotel in AZ. Apples and oranges. Telling someone you will kill them as soon as you confront them if they make one bad move doesn't set a good precedence and really makes the victim anxious.

If they were IN my house, obviously force would be justified since them being in my house means they did not have good intentions. If they were out in my driveway, it would be a bad shoot.
View Quote
OK (and as I suspected/started), inside you shoot first and figure out what’s going on later.  Unfortunately in this case, it was your drunk neighbors, unarmed, who accidentally stumbled into your living room.  Good shoot?

How would you handle the three reportedly armed drunks in your driveway?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://rlv.zcache.com/close_your_eyes_laughing_emoji_classic_round_sticker-r93d6e3c9a6314d27bdece8ca40e36bf2_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg
Youre into emoji today

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/33/5f/d2335f4cca49f4edfe3fc7bf8be769d7.jpg
Yeah I'm pretty over it already though lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
17:04 is tough to watch

It's like the dude knows with the commands he gave that's its impossible to do and the little shrug he gives it's like he knows he's gonna get shot
View Quote
My thinking, exactly.
Knowing he was going to die, he should have just yelled "Leroy Jenkin's" prior to being ventilated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is correct, and it blows 1/2 of the arguments in the thread out of the water, but ARFCOM doesn’t care about that:  all of the cops involved acted as a team and they all went in there hoping for the chance to kill someone.
View Quote
From your comments here and your username i bet you have to get it on. When there's is no need at all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong.  They were fucking up, but they were fucking up from the word go.  They were still working to clear that room, at this point they had no idea how many parties were involved and the rifle had not been located yet.  The shooter was busy processing that he just shot a guy while trying to work tactics on the next obstacle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck that piece of shit that was giving commands, he was the one that should’ve stood trial for murder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.

They could have been using sign language and it still doesnt change horrible police work.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm just NOT going to read all nine pages of what I suspect is a back-n-forth between 'respect my authority' and... the rest of us.

I have two teenaged kids.  Good kids.  They hang with the right crowd.  Get good grades.  Not interested in booze or

You guys are gonna show my kids why they need to stay away from LEO.  In uniform and out.

View Quote
Yup. This country is upside down.
It will be very interesting if this LE trend continues.

There are dozens of videos you could show to them. From planting evidence to illegal roadside cavity searches to all the unarmed people they shoot each year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I want to support cops and all but it seems that this was poorly managed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

OK (and as I suspected/started), inside you shoot first and figure out what’s going on later.  Unfortunately in this case, it was your drunk neighbors, unarmed, who accidentally stumbled into your living room.  Good shoot?

View Quote
Well if they were my neighbors I would probably know them and not shoot?

If there were known armed drunks in my driveway, I would sit inside with my rifle and call the police who will then probably kill them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have two teenaged kids.  Good kids.  They hang with the right crowd.  Get good grades.  Not interested in booze or causing mischief.

I'm seriously thinking about having them watch this video, letting them read some of the resident LEO comments of 'Good Shoot', and letting them know the guy who executed that kid is most likely gonna walk.

View Quote
Yes m1811 a couple pages back.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So, you're 100% OK with what the police did here, Mr. Killer?
View Quote
Of course not, but I’m not making knee jerk assessments based on a single video, the fact that I wasn’t there, assuming/guessing who was giving the commands, what I would/n’t have done if I was there.

It’s easy to make perfect decisions when one already knows the outcome.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Cops respond to a call man pointing rifle outside hotel window.  Las Vegas style.

The commands given by the cop were complex. Based on the cops moving past him to the hotel room after he was down, it looked like the cops wanted him further down the hall away from the hotel room door being cautious about a possible ambush, a sound tactic.

This guy was drunk. And the commands were not simple. The cops wanted him out of the line of fire from the hotel room ( my assumption) and then the guy looked like he started to sit up and was grabbing for something on his right 4/5 oclock.

I understand why it happened.

The crux is cops were called to a man pointing a rifle out a hotel window.  He was drunk and unable to follow commands and those commands were complex and disjointed. When guy stopped crawling, rose off his hands and reached behind his back, it ended.

It could have been avoided maybe if:

Common people could tell the difference between a pellet rifle and a real rifle

Guy didnt point pellet rifle out the window like an idiot

Cop gave better more concise and logical commands easier to follow

Guy was not drunk and could follow commands

Guy did not reach behind his back with his right hand with cops pointing rifles at him.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Seems like he wanted to shoot someone & then made sure he got his wish.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Cop had to get it on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Officers had been called to the hotel after a report that a man was pointing a gun out of a window. Two pellet guns were found in Shaver’s room
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thought for sure he'd be found guilty.
View Quote
This
Dat ejection port doe
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From your comments here and your username i bet you have to get it on. When there's is no need at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the opposite:  even before every single action we took was recorded via various methods and reviewed after the fact.

One must always be ready to “get it on”, and do so when the situation dictates.

Please don’t hold a call sign (username) from 20 years ago against me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#47]
That "cop" was on a power trip.  Shaver was compliant. The cop's orders were retarded and confusing, like he was playing a game.  The cop never saw a gun and had zero reason to shoot.

Murder.  That verdict is fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Officers had been called to the hotel after a report that a man was pointing a gun out of a window. Two pellet guns were found in Shaver’s room
View Quote
Do stupid shit and people call the cops. We you do that you either get good switched on cops or a shitshow. The cop's actions are on him, but he isn't the one that rolled the dice by voluntarily getting intoxicated and waving weapons around.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow. Bad shoot all around.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If there were known armed drunks in my driveway, I would sit inside with my rifle and call the police who will then probably kill them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was too dark for you to ID them  in my hypothetical; just 3 people in you living room.

Driveway decision sound good and I see what you did there.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top