Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2017 9:44:13 AM EDT
So im sure this has been beat to death, but i cant find it. Question on hypothetical situation -

CWP carrier - multiple guns in safe, car, nightstand, etc. Not a "fanatical" shower with my AR kinda guy but none the less i have fair amounts of guns.

Chronic pain sufferer for many years now. Have been on pain meds for quite sone time to manage to function at work. I HATE everything about taking pain pills, but have to do it to be able to work. (Really not wanting to debate that angle)

The state of FL has legalized medical MJ now and i have learned the process of getting the script for it. Was thinking of trying it to get off pain meds. What, if anything, is known in the state of FL and guns with this script? Has anyone heard of anything on this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Marijuana is not an analgesic.  It does not make the pain go away.  It just makes it funnier.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing in FL law banning it, but you will hear of a 9th fed district court case (west coast) that says the two are mutually exclusive.

But you must remember a federal decision in the 9th circuit ONLY applies to the 9th and FL isn't in the 9th.

So the answer is you probably can't buy guns but state policy on ownership is murky water
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Marijuana is illegal at the federal level.

Have you ever filled out a 4473?
Do you remember the question "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medical or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

That question should be an indication to you that the use of marijuana is a disqualifier for possession of firearms under federal law. Act accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Well the state position is more important than the fed considering in the strict sense that in most cases the feds won't find out unless the state authorities refer someone to them.

Then there's a question of whether or not they violated their own policy in doing so.

Illinois actually has a provision that specifically protects its CCWs who also have a medical marijuana card. So the state won't refer to the feds for a MJ offense alone.

And if you don't think this policy is effective, just look at the headache sanctuary cities give the feds. They can't enforce when the state doesn't divulge and that's a big issue. It's almost like in IL and FL the cards are stacked in your favor.

Though of course I'm not telling you to break the law, just that there's an interesting debate to be had and we don't really know how it would turn out. Perhaps you should contact a local lawyer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Try CBD oil.  You can order THC free blends online, they're classified as hemp and legal federally as well as in all 50 states.  It works best on neuropathic pain rather than things like a pulled muscle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try CBD oil.  You can order THC free blends online, they're classified as hemp and legal federally as well as in all 50 states.  It works best on neuropathic pain rather than things like a pulled muscle.
View Quote
Where would one acquire such a thing? Most of my pain is neuropathic!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Legality aside op, My step Father in Law used it when recovering from Cancer Treatment.  Not only the THC get you stone version but the CBD medical part and it seemed to help him a lot.  He was a user before so your mileage may vary on that one but he did not have to take pain pills and would put a little tar in his coffee in the morning and then use a vap pen the rest of the day and it really helped.

I'm assuming you aren't operating heavy machinery for work.  My company has a zero use policy.  They don't care if you have a medical card or not and I'm in sales.  You may want to check that as well.

Edit: My Father in Law has RA pretty bad and he has been using the CBD cream on his hands and it has help him a lot as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. And yea med mj works for pain I know plenty of people that use it for pain and function fine all day. The fed part sucks though since it’s still not legal. I personal think medical use should be an exception on the 4473
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google "CBD oil", do some research and pick a place that's reputable to order it from.  My friend's wife used it to treat migraines years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well the state position is more important than the fed considering in the strict sense that in most cases the feds won't find out unless the state authorities refer someone to them.

Then there's a question of whether or not they violated their own policy in doing so.

Illinois actually has a provision that specifically protects its CCWs who also have a medical marijuana card. So the state won't refer to the feds for a MJ offense alone.

And if you don't think this policy is effective, just look at the headache sanctuary cities give the feds. They can't enforce when the state doesn't divulge and that's a big issue. It's almost like in IL and FL the cards are stacked in your favor.

Though of course I'm not telling you to break the law, just that there's an interesting debate to be had and we don't really know how it would turn out. Perhaps you should contact a local lawyer.
View Quote
Who do you think runs the background check for the Florida concealed weapon license? The FBI. All is takes is for them to flag you for a MJ card and boom, you're a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I would much rather someone report medical marijuana use and own guns  than have an alcohol problem and own guns. Just my opinion though
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would much rather someone report medical marijuana use and own guns  than have an alcohol problem and own guns. Just my opinion though
View Quote
Yep. I’ve seen people do far worse and stupid things while drinking than while smoking.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Illegal the the federal level; and who wants to be the test case?

Are you that convinced that our courts and legislators are hell bent on paving the way for MJ users to own and carry guns?

Imagine the fun at a self defense shooting trial when Exhibit B is your MJ history.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget, in HI, medical users are getting their guns confiscated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Google "CBD oil", do some research and pick a place that's reputable to order it from.  My friend's wife used it to treat migraines years ago.
View Quote
CBD does not have significant efficacy against chronic pain like the OP is describing.

As far as legality goes, if you want to use cannabis for medical purposes AND exercise your 2nd amendment rights, you'll have to choose one or the other to partake in the shadows with, until all of this mess is reconciled.

If it were me, I'd take my chances obtaining and using marijuana in the same way that folks have for decades, for the penalties are much, much less severe than those would be if you were caught with illegal weapons or were disqualified from ownership.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, my wife used it as part of her chemo regimen.  It helped with nausea and vomiting, increased her appetite and mellowed her out.....nothing pain related.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The concept of “medical marijuana” is largely bullshit that the pot legalization movement invented to crack open the door of eventual legalization.

For a small number of people (like chemo patients who have appetite loss, for example) there seem to be some benefits.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The concept of “medical marijuana” is largely bullshit that the pot legalization movement invented to crack open the door of eventual legalization.

For a small number of people (like chemo patients who have appetite loss, for example) there seem to be some benefits.
View Quote
There seems to be a lot of college age kids going through chemo at a local dispensary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]
As has been mentioned earlier, in pain studies using THC it often does not outperform placebo.  CBD is a good option and I know there are some companies out there that make a CBD/DMSO combination product that I've heard works pretty well for pain (this would be a topical only type situation).

After seeing how some of the chiropractic threads go around here, I'm somewhat hesitant to suggest it but have you considered acupuncture?  To forestall the inevitable calls of 'quackery', here are a couple studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29198932
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887754

And at the following link, you can download a PDF that summarizes acupuncture's biological effects in pain management - at least according to current science.  You'll have to plug in your email to get the file, but you can opt out of any potential spam.

https://us15.campaign-archive.com/?u=9fe856bf2e710fee2ce6149e8&id=333f4f4307

Full disclosure: I am a licensed acupuncturist.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would love to try it for my neuropathy from chemo, I've heard that it works well for the pain but I'm not going to ditch the 2nd for it.

Am I wrong in my understanding that if you get it in pill form there is no "high" like you get from smoking it, if thats the case why the fuck not legalize it?   I have no interest in getting high, but it would be nice to to finally ditch the pain in my hands and feet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There seems to be a lot of college age kids going through chemo at a local dispensary.
View Quote
Why you hanging out around the dispensaries?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would love to try it for my neuropathy from chemo, I've heard that it works well for the pain but I'm not going to ditch the 2nd for it.

Am I wrong in my understanding that if you get it in pill form there is no "high" like you get from smoking it, if thats the case why the fuck not legalize it?   I have no interest in getting high, but it would be nice to to finally ditch the pain in my hands and feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pill form or not, if it still contains THC,  you are getting high.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lying on the 4473 is a felony - while the state may have provisions about medical MJ, you still can face jail for lying on the form, and denial if you are truthful.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Marinol will absolutely get you high - higher than smoking. I'm not certain about others pills.

I'm not attempting to derail the thread, but OP have you considered Kratom? It's not illegal under either federal or Florida law and it does help with pain. It's cheap and you don't need a prescription and it won't land you on some list.
I've been using it a couple times a month for close to a year for a bulging disc and it helps much better than any of the pills I've had.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe CBD, but people I know that use it still say it gets them a little high.

RSO can definitely make you feel high.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
After seeing the pain my father in law went through for the past 3 years or so battling lung cancer, and seeing how marijuana made his quality of life better in the last year of his life, I tend to believe it works in a medical capacity. Just making a person suffering comfortable in their last years, I can’t see why people are so against it. Being a resident of VA he had no legal options and used it illegally.

He hated the way opiates made him feel. The nausea was unbearable for him. Thanksgiving was the last time we all spent together, he passed a week later. Seeing him not doubled over in pain and enjoying the company of his grandchildren, family and friends, simply because he used marijuana, just reinforces the fact that for some people, it works.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not the case anymore; it is being "re-evaluated"......
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#33]
...and awaayyyy, we go!

Attachment Attached File

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why you hanging out around the dispensaries?  
View Quote
Drive pass one almost everyday.  Usually a small line before opening.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Agreed, no one has yet to be a test case for such a tjing. What i am more concerned with is a HI MJ card confiscation type scenario vs just simply suspending my CWP. I literally just want to see if its a viablenoption agaijst taking pain meds. And no heavy machinery simply turning a wrench type work. I dont take opiate during work notlr would i use the devils lettuce at work. It just makes me feel better before and after. My quesrion is whats the hive opinon on this subject. Is a possivle 2a violation worth a possible quality of life improvement (pain meds make me feel sick)
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Drive pass one almost everyday.  Usually a small line before opening.
View Quote
It's drive "past" one...
"Past"

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Marinol will absolutely get you high - higher than smoking. I'm not certain about others pills.

I'm not attempting to derail the thread, but OP have you considered Kratom? It's not illegal under either federal or Florida law and it does help with pain. It's cheap and you don't need a prescription and it won't land you on some list.
I've been using it a couple times a month for close to a year for a bulging disc and it helps much better than any of the pills I've had.
View Quote
I honestly dont know much about the pills, just that its been suggested to my to ease the neuropathy.

I would try it if the side effects were minimal, but it aint gonna happen regardless, not going to lose my guns over it
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ditto, I don’t have pain but I do get nauseated quite a bit but I’m not willing to give up the 2nd either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an appointment with my Pallitive Care/Neurologist this past Monday. I too have severe neuropathy from chemo 3.5 years ago. I am taking various drugs for the constant pain and they work to a varying degree. Three and a half years since my autologus bone marrow transplant for Mantle  Cell Lymphoma. Any way, I am running out of options. He suggested medical MJ and Wifey almost fainted. "NFW are me going to have him shooting up Hippie Hay!", as she jumped to her feet and got in the Dr's face while pointing at me. Not an exact quote (she didnt say NFW). We are well aware of the legal consequences, but Wifey was walking a pretty thin line just then.
When asked on any of those medical forms if there are any firearms in the house, we ALWAYS leave it blank. If the issue is pressed, guns are icky. In reality I am a Benefactor Life / Golden Eagle Member  of the NRA. Now Wifey has lived a somewhat sheltered life, has never done drugs and has been drunk once in the 39 years we have been married. But, she is a Dyed in the wool Conservative and knows nothing about drugs except that Chemo saved my life. The Dr gave me the address of the local hippie food store, Lori's Natural Food in Henrietta.
I am hesitant to pursue the Cannabis derivative  use but I have to say I never would have thought i might have to choose between a painful life with my gun or somewhat pain free without them
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#40]
As long as you're not harming others, the best course of action is always to do whatever the fuck makes you happy, and keep quiet about it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you remember the question "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medical or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

That question should be an indication to you that the use of marijuana is a disqualifier for possession of firearms under federal law. Act accordingly.
View Quote
Lots of coffee and tea drinkers don't realize that if they are regular users, they are addicted to caffeine the stimulant in coffee and/or tea.   So, technically, most coffee drinkers are just as prohibited from owning/possessing firearms as are users of marijuana, sleeping medicine, tranquilizers, anti-depressants (because users have to wean off of them just like opioids), and many other drugs that are commonly used.  Just because BATFE hasn't yet decided to go after those people YET, doesn't mean that BATFE can't go after them at some time in the future.

It is the sentence's structure that makes caffeine qualify as a qualifying substance: "or addicted to .....any depressant, stimulant.."
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lots of coffee and tea drinkers don't realize that if they are regular users, they are addicted to caffeine the stimulant in coffee and/or tea.   So, technically, most coffee drinkers are just as prohibited from owning/possessing firearms as are users of marijuana, sleeping medicine, tranquilizers, anti-depressants (because users have to wean off of them just like opioids), and many other drugs that are commonly used.  Just because BATFE hasn't yet decided to go after those people YET, doesn't mean that BATFE can't go after them at some time in the future.

It is the sentence's structure that makes caffeine qualify as a qualifying substance: "or addicted to .....any depressant, stimulant.."
View Quote
That's an interesting point you make. I hadn't thought of it that way, but a closer reading of the sentence gives me the same interpretation of its literal meaning. That's scary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#43]
But...but, muh 4473! It's a contract with the gubment! I gotta sign one to have muh guns, because "shall not be infringed" needs modern interpretation!

Buncha slack jawed faggots supporting 4473s, bullshit federal law, and severe gov't overreach.

OP, just buy your pot from a dealer who's decent. Don't put yourself on any lists, and don't register yourself with the benign, well intentioned overlords.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im open to kratom, but how does one get legit kratom? It all looks like shady websites thatll send ya some advil crap.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please stop spreading this BS. It's simply not true.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Marijuana is not an analgesic.  It does not make the pain go away.  It just makes it funnier.
View Quote
The same as other medications used as analgesics, like ketamine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#48]
My 2 cents. Don't get your medical marijuana card. Try CBD oil. If it doesn't work, then you won't be second guessing yourself. I would say CBD oil is safer than long term use of opiates.

It isn't worth it to get you MMJ card and risk losing your firearm rights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 4473 applies to transfers. Don't quote it when referring to posession.

What you should quote is 18 USC section 922g.This says the same thing, but it's the correct reference.

Now, here' the real issue:

Define "unlawful user".

If someone smoked a joint 2 months ago, are they an "unlawful user" today? What if it was 10 years ago? What if it was a week ago?

What if they have a prescription? Is that a disqualifier in and of itself, even if they've never filled the prescription nor ever smoked a single bowl?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top