BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t give a fuck either. But it is fun to argue with people who really dogmatically take positions on things they don’t know anything about.
View Quote
Remind me - which one of us is contradicted on this point by the manufacturer, the Air Force, and NASA?  Is it me, or you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Indeed.  Now for the bonus:  Did the F-117 have air-to air capability?  Did the YF-12?
View Quote
So, fighter or no?

Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Remind me - which one of us is contradicted on this point by the manufacturer, the Air Force, and NASA?  Is it me, or you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t give a fuck either. But it is fun to argue with people who really dogmatically take positions on things they don’t know anything about.
NASA doesn't fly fighter aircraft.  They fly experimental aircraft.  The USAF didn't operate the YF-12, and the manufacturer made 3 (or was it 4) experiments.

You're still arguing points you don't understand...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is engaging enemy aircraft the primary mission of the Viking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is the S-3 Viking a fighter?  

I bet @KA3B knows the story.
Is engaging enemy aircraft the primary mission of the Viking?
Woosh.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NASA doesn't fly fighter aircraft.  They fly experimental aircraft.  The USAF didn't operate the YF-12, and the manufacturer made 3 (or was it 4) experiments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't give a fuck either. But it is fun to argue with people who really dogmatically take positions on things they don't know anything about.

Why are you still going on with this and shitting up the thread?

Every fucking GD thread turns into this...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
MIG31
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My 1/72 MiG-25PD won 3rd place in the AZ state model contest in the 1/72 jet category.
Attachment Attached File

That’s my contribution to this thread.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I was an F-15 maintenance troop back when 15’s were strictly air to air (84-88). The MIG-29 was still new then, and was said to be equal or better than the Eagle.

A few years later the boys from my old units (33rd and 36th tac fighter wings) proved them wrong. One of my regrets in life was that I didn’t stay in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The YF-12 would like to have a word with you about that assertion....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/YF-12A.jpg
View Quote
Where did you get your hands on a YF12 configured as a FIGHTER, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL, you're in GD for fuck's sake Josh!  You know better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You completely missed the point.

We've put the "F" designation on a number of aircraft, like the YF-12 and the F-117, that are clearly not fighter aircraft.

The F-117 was a bomb truck that was never capable of doing anything other than carrying two LGBs, and the YF-12 was an experiment that was never even designed to do anything other than ferry a couple of missiles on a mission for which it was totally unsuited.  It's too big and incapable of maneuvering to be a fighter.  When you're measuring your turning radius in how many countries you fly over to make a turn, you're not talking about a fighter in any real sense of the word.
LOL, you're in GD for fuck's sake Josh!  You know better
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are you still going on with this and shitting up the thread?

Every fucking GD thread turns into this...
View Quote
lulz
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 1/72 MiG-25PD won 3rd place in the AZ state model contest in the 1/72 jet category.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163072/166AFEE4-6A4F-4A45-9208-5645810E4CE9-512178.JPG

View Quote
Got any more detail pics of that?

That looks great from what I can see.

Your panel line airbrush work looks really good.

Would love to see more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was an F-15 maintenance troop back when 15’s were strictly air to air (84-88). The MIG-29 was still new then, and was said to be equal or better than the Eagle.

A few years later the boys from my old units (33rd and 36th tac fighter wings) proved them wrong. One of my regrets in life was that I didn’t stay in.
View Quote
The MiG-29 was never a direct competitor to the F-15. The F-15's direct competitor was the Su-27.

F-16 vs MiG-29 is a fairer comparison. MiG-29 still loses bad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The MiG-29 was never a direct competitor to the F-15. The F-15's direct competitor was the Su-27.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back then, The Air Force was pushing the MiG-29 as being equal to or better than the F-15. So much so that I still know exactly what’s MIG-29 looks like, and have no idea about an SU-anything.

Edit: just looked it up, the SU-27 entered service in 1985. So there were some around, but I doubt they were around in any numbers before I got out in early ‘88.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163072/166AFEE4-6A4F-4A45-9208-5645810E4CE9-512178.JPG

View Quote
3rd place? Jaysus-F'ing-Christ you're not even the first loser!!!

(kidding)
Looks pretty good. Far better than I could do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I totally get what you mean and wouldn't normally point this out, but I understand that you are a huge fan of being pedantic.   So in that spirit, I present this:

Some warmup exercises might be helpful before you engage in the gymnastics required to support your assertion that NASA doesn't fly fighter aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was OPs O of the 425th Buccaneers Cannon AFB.  It was Singapores air to air squadron.  Their air to ground squadron was at Luke in AZ.  Anyway, the Aim 7 was a hell of a bridge between the AIM-9 and Aim-120.  We would always act as red air for the 523 and 524, blk 30 and 40 squadrons at Cannon.  We caused all kinds of shit with the -7s.  They hated us.  We were good at red air!  NO shit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM-7M?  I'll let the fighter drivers cover on that one definitively, but I think the USAF had hose fests with them at William Tell mostly from F-15Cs, and Navy still uses Sea Sparrow surface-launched RIM-7.

@FlyNavy75
@Mach
I was OPs O of the 425th Buccaneers Cannon AFB.  It was Singapores air to air squadron.  Their air to ground squadron was at Luke in AZ.  Anyway, the Aim 7 was a hell of a bridge between the AIM-9 and Aim-120.  We would always act as red air for the 523 and 524, blk 30 and 40 squadrons at Cannon.  We caused all kinds of shit with the -7s.  They hated us.  We were good at red air!  NO shit!
@bullf-16 I was at Cannon '97 to '99 right when Sing was getting squared away and the -111's were leaving.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Like you didn't Google it minutes before responding.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
NASA has flown a number of fighter aircraft, as proficiency sustainment, chase planes, research subjects, or analogues to other airframes.  Those include the F-102, the F-106, the F-104, the Douglas F5D Skylancer (note the NASA markings) ...

... the F-16XL, Hawker-Siddeley P.1127, YF-12, F/A=-18, F-4, F-15, F-82, f-100, YF-93, F-107, a modified F-5E, & several flavors of F-8 Crusader.

ONE of us doesn't understand, clearly ...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you get your hands on a YF12 configured as a FIGHTER, if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote
All three built were configured as fighters.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a reason for the 2929 in my screen name.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I totally get what you mean and wouldn't normally point this out, but I understand that you are a huge fan of being pedantic.   So in that spirit, I present this:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/public/images/298946main_EC02-0294-4_full.jpg

Some warmup exercises might be helpful before you engage in the gymnastics required to support your assertion that NASA doesn't fly fighter aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/public/images/298946main_EC02-0294-4_full.jpg

I'm glad you understand what I mean...
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, no.  I read an article on them once though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NASA has flown a number of fighter aircraft, as proficiency sustainment, chase planes, research subjects, or analogues to other airframes.  Those include the F-102, the F-106, the F-104, the Douglas F5D Skylancer (note the NASA markings) ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/F5D_in_flight_1971.jpg/1920px-F5D_in_flight_1971.jpg

... the F-16XL, Hawker-Siddeley P.1127, YF-12, F/A=-18, F-4, F-15, F-82, f-100, YF-93, F-107, a modified F-5E, & several flavors of F-8 Crusader.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/F5D_in_flight_1971.jpg/1920px-F5D_in_flight_1971.jpg

When was the last time NASA flew one as anything other than a test vehicle...
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#26]
This otherwise exciting and engaging thread has an amazing amount of hijack

I find it amusing how big of deal the MiG-29’s louvered top-fuselage intakes seemed to be when I was an 80s kid, only for the modernized versions to dump them in exchange for fuel space. So much for Russian priorities for maximum rough field performance.

The MiG-29 mod to Falcon 3.0 was the first fighter jet sim I ever played, and was a fun time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No worse than the -104. The Grumman Tiger and Super Tiger were decent...The P6M would have been far superior to the B-58, the later Panthers were about as good as a F-100, the -101 moderate, the -102/-106 overtaken by events.
View Quote
The only things the P6M would have been better than the B-58 at would be in providing airframe mechs the opportunities to view corrosion an order of magnitude greater than what is experienced on a carrier and in providing Navy Docs a plethora of malaria patients from the poor aircrews who would have been living on shithole islands as part of a dispersed P6M force.

Super Tiger would have been decent, but they only built a few prototypes, it was never adopted, so it wasn't a fighter (or so I have supposedly learned in this thread).

One thing NAVAIR was good at was they culled the herd of s$%t fighters quickly.  They quickly killed off their s$%tty designs (gutless Cutlass, Skyray) while trying to pursue better things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When was the last time NASA flew one as anything other than a test vehicle...
View Quote
They fly them as proficiency sustainment, chase planes, and sometimes just as transportation, as well as test.

Are you trying to imply that if a fighter aircraft is flown for some purpose other than to destroy enemy aircraft, that it auto-magically stops being a fighter aircraft?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I was enjoying this thread until the hand wringing autists decided to derail it into a pissing match of who could be wrong less.....

GD gonna GD....
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, I was enjoying this thread until the hand wringing autists decided to derail it into a pissing match of who could be wrong less.....

GD gonna GD....
View Quote
GD's loutish egocentrics are one of the things I like most about this place.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@bullf-16 I was at Cannon '97 to '99 right when Sing was getting squared away and the -111's were leaving.
View Quote
I was at Luke 97-99, got to Cannon 2000-2003
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top