Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss being lonely.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your friend won't help you bury a body, they are not a true friend.

Just a metaphor of course but it makes my point.

I have 7 people on this planet I would drop everything for and sell everything I have to save them.

5 are family and two are true friends.

If you can't give your friend the keys to your car/house and combo to the safe with your firearm exfil plan, they are not a true friend.

Just saying.
View Quote
Yeah, I have tons of old friends and acquaintances. I have just one good friend. I'd trust him with everything from my credit card to the combo to my safe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have just as much interaction with other people as I want.   Which on most days is not a heck of a lot!

Am I lonely?  No.   I'm not being bugged by people I don't like very much.  That's much better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn near everyone nowdays has their face stuck in their phone or a video game.

Duh...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Let’s list some “solutions” likely to follow:

More antidepressants
More alcohol
More sugary carb-loaded fast food
More escapism through Netflix
More distractions through the internet
More material goals and purchases
More pets to substitute (poorly) for humans
More lightning-fast sexual relationships to get attention
View Quote
Why do you hate capitalism and freedom?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More antidepressants
More alcohol
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More antidepressants
More alcohol
Just mocking some of the shit lolbertarians come up with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Lets see.

Growing up in smaller families.
Work locations of family and childhood friends are often not in the same city, and frequently in a completely different state from one another.
Electronic forms of communication and entertainment replacing in person forms.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More antidepressants
More alcohol
you have confused libertarians with libertines.

There is a big difference between the libertine position of "I do what I wawnt!", the libertarian position of "voluntary cultural expectations of how people ought to behave because it's good for them" and conservative/liberal position of "government-enforced expectations of how people ought to behave because it's good for them"

and I don't give a shit how anybody spins it, conservatives like to use govt to cram their "this is how you ought to behave" down people's throats as much as liberals, just with a lower body count.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
No they aren't!!!! As I sit here by myself on my computer...

Wife's out of town, and I'm off a little early today and it's raining. So not much better place to be for a while....
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There is a big difference between the libertine position of "I do what I wawnt!", the libertarian position of "voluntary cultural expectations of how people ought to behave because it's good for them" and conservative/liberal position of "government-enforced expectations of how people ought to behave because it's good for them"

and I don't give a shit how anybody spins it, conservatives like to use govt to cram their "this is how you ought to behave" down people's throats as much as liberals, just with a lower body count.
View Quote
There's some that blend the two so thoroughly that it's impossible to sever. Angels on pinheads as an ideology.

I know, I know, most aren't, but I just have nightmares about that fat guy on stage stripping.
Not even fit to be the Tuesday morning B team at a gay strip club called The Bear
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's some that blend the two so thoroughly that it's impossible to sever. Angels on pinheads as an ideology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I know...   I considered the LP a long time ago but they were comprised primarily of freakshows, people who were committed to a naive unworkable ideology (unworkable in the current world), and Leftist plants there to discredit them.

I tend to believe more in Pragmatic Liberty; don't commit to a party ideology, and use what is demonstrated to work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
American's just need ARFCOM accounts.  There are what, 4-8K people on here at any given time?  Shit.. we should have millions.

We need billboards in major cities and minor ones too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm happily married, have 7 kids and 12 grandkids, and serve in a position of responsibility in my church.  I'm the polar opposite of lonely.  Lots of people to love.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm just waiting for the day they classify it as a disability...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you mean working as a family for the goal of rearing you and your mate's offspring gives you fulfillment? Unpossible !
View Quote
Happiness is a myth. The proper pursuit of happiness leads to fulfillment and that’s the key to life.

Priorities, how do they work?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#18]
We are in the middle of a gender war. Of course people are lonely. Women are afraid of and distrustful of men and likewise men with them.

There's a massive communication gap between the sexes, combined with approaching relationships casually until their 30s and then finally deciding to settle.

I see it over and over and over again. When I got out of an LTR and started dating again at 27, almost 28, I found myself in a sea of men 28-35 who were done being whores and wanted me to be their only hope for starting a family.

Relationships have their greatest success if started in their early 20s. Ironically people in their early 20s now just aren't mature enough to be a partner. They are busy bumping into walls while texting and being babied by their parents who pay for their college and their health insurance.

All this is tied to friendships, too. Healthy friendships and healthy romantic relationships are hand in hand. Healthy attracts healthy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We are in the middle of a gender war. Of course people are lonely. Women are afraid of and distrustful of men and likewise men with them.

There's a massive communication gap between the sexes, combined with approaching relationships casually until their 30s and then finally deciding to settle.

I see it over and over and over again. When I got out of an LTR and started dating again at 27, almost 28, I found myself in a sea of men 28-35 who were done being whores and wanted me to be their only hope for starting a family.

Relationships have their greatest success if started in their early 20s. Ironically people in their early 20s now just aren't mature enough to be a partner. They are busy bumping into walls while texting and being babied by their parents who pay for their college and their health insurance.

All this is tied to friendships, too. Healthy friendships and healthy romantic relationships are hand in hand. Healthy attracts healthy.
View Quote
Learn to settle for good enough...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can’t say I agree with that. Looking back on my 20s now that I’m over 40, I was a completely different person.

The only serious relationship that I had in my 20s ended in divorce. Back then I was willing to get serious with women I knew weren’t good or right for me.

Now I’m extremely picky who I let into my life.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a lot more to be interested in these days compared to the past so the probability that someone near you would share your interests is low and getting lower.

The growth of anti male government entities and a widespread credulity toward any accusation a female makes is hurting the strength of male female trust.

Increases in cultural "diversity" undermine common beliefs and experiences. In the past, the strangest your neighbor may have been was a Catholic from Ireland; now he is a Muslim from Pokeestan whose word of God tells him not to be your friend.

The disparities in state economies is driving migrations; people live farther from their families, and by changing living space the shared history of all nearby relationships is re-set to zero.

Should I go on?
View Quote
Makes sense.  I lot of it has to do with getting older though.  Most of my friends don't do anything anymore like they used too.  Health issues, family, travel for work etc.. all eat up a lot of time.  then there is the avoidance of some due to drama that follows them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/05/01/606588504/americans-are-a-lonely-lot-and-young-people-bear-the-heaviest-burden

Research in recent years suggests that for many people, loneliness is more like a chronic ache, affecting their daily lives and sense of well-being.

Now a nationwide survey by the health insurer Cigna underscores that. It finds that loneliness is widespread in America, with nearly 50 percent of respondents reporting that they feel alone or left out always or sometimes
View Quote
They also found a trend in that loneliness has increased since the baby boomers.

So what about you, gd? Moody loner/alpha sheepduder or life of the party?
View Quote
Facebook has replaced the neighborhood BBQ etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Selfish & materialistic people are lonely?  Who knew.

Meanwhile I’ve got a satisfying job, happy wife who drives a new car, smart-sweet-healthy five year old, new baby due in December and a nice house....Life is fantastic and all it took was hard work and being focused on the goal.
View Quote
You are doing life right!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Although she may be cute she's just a substitute
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/05/01/606588504/americans-are-a-lonely-lot-and-young-people-bear-the-heaviest-burden

Research in recent years suggests that for many people, loneliness is more like a chronic ache, affecting their daily lives and sense of well-being.

Now a nationwide survey by the health insurer Cigna underscores that. It finds that loneliness is widespread in America, with nearly 50 percent of respondents reporting that they feel alone or left out always or sometimes
View Quote
They also found a trend in that loneliness has increased since the baby boomers.

So what about you, gd? Moody loner/alpha sheepduder or life of the party?
View Quote
Social media and poisonous social mores and values are your proximate causes.

Americans are lonely not because they prefer. They just prefer it to the other alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 51, my drop dead gorgeous female co-worker is 22. We chat a little, but are both very quiet. We both really like simply hanging out at our respective homes snuggling with our respective partners and generally dislike being around other people. The other co-worker is about 50, a closeted chatter box who used to live in LA and is more than happy to tell you ALL about LA. He'll also tell you about the laps he swam the night before and where he went out for drinks afterwards. He'll tell little jokes and is typically the only one laughing.

Pretty easy to tell who the lonely one is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're lonely because you suck and everyone hates you, kid. Go fuck yourself.
View Quote
So you work for the suicide hotline
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Gee, it's almost as if 2-3 generations of people not having kids means you don't have an extended family and community to belong to any more

For all of human history everyone had like 30 or more first cousins, multiple generations in households, etc. Then 50 years ago we thought it would be cool to have 1-2 cousins, stick our parents in an old folks home, and watch tv.

It's almost as if actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I blame social media.  Everyone wants to be connected and does thing to look popular on social media.  Then when they don't get the attention they were seeking they feel "lonely" even though they never really had friends to begin with.  Instant communication, instant gratification, but with no real relationships behind it.
View Quote
You must be pretty lonely to be hanging out with us ignorant racists.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gee, it's almost as if 2-3 generations of people not having kids means you don't have an extended family and community to belong to any more

For all of human history everyone had like 30 or more first cousins, multiple generations in households, etc. Then 50 years ago we thought it would be cool to have 1-2 cousins, stick our parents in an old folks home, and watch tv.

It's almost as if actions have consequences.
View Quote
This song is from Quebec but still relatable:

Mes Aïeux - Dégénération (English Subtitles)
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Lonely. Extremely lonely.

I've been in a serious relationship for nearly the last three and a half years. Fully a third of that has been spent involuntarily separated due to work, school, or family. The current separation was caused by a very good friend's suicide in December. My fiancee couldn't handle dealing with that while struggling through engineering courses, moved back to Houston, and just started a decent entry-level clerical job in the oil industry.

Most of my previous friends were just as affected, and have been startlingly distant. Now I don't have more than a few hours of human interaction in a week, which takes its toll on someone. I'm also graduating in about two weeks, and will be moving out of state, which just brings more uncertainty, because despite having quite a few interviews in progress, I still haven't gotten a job offer, which makes me wonder if I wasted the last four years of my life.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
OP drank the Kool-Aid?

Tell me again how hollow my 'merican life is.

Even if M4wifey, takes all my shit, SWATs me, and my dying mother puts money in my commissary for internet...I will never pose GD this question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lonely. Extremely lonely.

I've been in a serious relationship for nearly the last three and a half years. Fully a third of that has been spent involuntarily separated due to work, school, or family. The current separation was caused by a very good friend's suicide in December. My fiancee couldn't handle dealing with that while struggling through engineering courses, moved back to Houston, and just started a decent entry-level clerical job in the oil industry.

Most of my previous friends were just as affected, and have been startlingly distant. Now I don't have more than a few hours of human interaction in a week, which takes its toll on someone. I'm also graduating in about two weeks, and will be moving out of state, which just brings more uncertainty, because despite having quite a few interviews in progress, I still haven't gotten a job offer, which makes me wonder if I wasted the last four years of my life.
View Quote

Cheer up. You're 'merican.

You can teach English anywhere but here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Get off my porch
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Get off my porch
View Quote
BOOM.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Life for me is wake up, take kiddo to daycare, take dog to daycare, go to work, pick kiddo up from daycare, pick up dog, go home and spend a couple hours with kiddo until bedtime. Once she's asleep, I wash her bottles and make them for the next day, I eat dinner, I take a shower, maybe start a load of laundry, watch some tv, then go to sleep. Repeat.

Am I lonely? Yeah. Sure. A little. But what does it matter? What would unburdening myself to someone achieve? Being a man means handling your business no matter the hand you've been dealt. So many fucking crybabies these days.
View Quote
I'm hoping you have family and friends nearby.  You have guts and guts is enough.  You will get through this and love again.  It might seem

unlikely now, but almost everyone remarries.  It's what she would want.  You have no self-pity at least in public.
-
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I miss being lonely.
View Quote
Haha.  Be careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#42]
HEATSEAKER: This song is from Quebec but still relatable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCRHhmHvjg
View Quote
@HEATSEAKER

Thanks for that, have some Tom Connors.
Maggie, When You And I Were Young
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Get a dog if you want to be loved.
Get a cat if you want something to love.
Get a life.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Ronrey, im so ronrey
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#45]
This is comical, and only buttresses the saying, you want what you can't have.

My conversation with my wife the past few weeks is regarding picking up a 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus. Her issue? It doesn't have backseats so both of our boys can go with us in it.

With warm weather underway, I've been itching to go to the monthly Cars and Coffee meets, but there's always some family thing we are doing, or vacation. Sometimes, you just want to take a Saturday to do car stuff with your friends, but I'm so busy with our business during the week, that weekends are family time.

I enjoy car meets, playing Blackjack, not for the racing or rush, but to converse with others. Chatting with people is something I enjoy.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have single people that want nothing more than a family and kids to fill up their free time, but are unable to do so, because they have no desire to go out and talk to people.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You're lonely because you suck and everyone hates you, kid. Go fuck yourself.
View Quote
Yet if someone offed themselves due to this post, it would be a thoughts and prayers post.

The duality of man intrigues me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, a rittle ronery and sadry arone. That's me....
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Women don't want me. Lonely doesn't begin to describe the isolation.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top