Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fellas, my work has been taking me out of town in recent months, and I've been staying with my grandpa.

We have been watching TCM channel. He likes this channel because they show movies from when he was a young man. I've run across some great movies, and some bad ones on this channel.

Good Ones:
Stalag 17 (1953)- I found it entertaining, funny, suspensful, and as good or better then any movie today.
She wore a yellow ribbon (1949)- great western, awesome scenes, acting was great. Bonus, my grandpa was friends with Ben Johnson.
Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1939)- funny movie, good acting.
Modern Times (1936)- another funny movie. Great visuals for the time.

Bad ones:
The way we were (1973)- holy shit, bitches be crazy yo! And Barbara Streisand was ugly as hell!
Cactus Flower (1969)- oh. My. God. Stab me in the eye! Goldie Hahn was hot though!

Natural ones:
Tarzan the ape man (1932)- I didn't find myself liking this movie, but I didn't hate it either. It had great visuals, but some of the scenes ran to long for my taste. The amount of animals in it was amazing though.

What other "old movies" do you guys recommend?

Edit: also it's been really cool to spend this time with my grandpa. Really, he's my grandpa-in-law, but none the less, he's a cool guy. Went through a photo album with him the other night. He was sporting a perm in the late 60's- early 70's. He is not what I would call a man's man. He was a VP at a bank for many, many years. Country club member, golf 4 times a week, highball drinking kinda guy. Then his wife got Alzheimer's and he spent his entire fortune making sure she was taken care of till the end. He's a good dude.
View Quote
The Road... after reading the book.  Keep voting leftist bullshit and that's what your world is gonna be.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Atlas Shrugged
Band of Brothers
Enemy At the gates
Saving Private Ryan

To many others to list
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was younger and growing up I found these movies to have a profound impact on how I see/saw the world

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
The Green Mile
Hotel Rwanda
American History X
Grave of the Fireflies
The Shawshank Redemption
The Great Dictator
Glory
Seven Samarui
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Friendly Persuasion.
Apollo 13
Father Goose
To Hell and back.
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
The Searchers
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sand Pebbles
The Cowboys
The Shootist
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If not already mentioned, Tora Tora Tora
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The Getaway (Original )
Battle Of The Bulge
Hell Is For Heroes
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Caddy Shack
Quigley Down Under
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Casablanca
To Have and Have Not
Sahara
The Deep Sleep
The African Queen
The Day The Earth Stood Still ('50s version)
On The Beach ('60s version)
The Third Man
Metropolis
Murphy's War
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
“Bad Day at Black Rock” is really good. Spencer Tracy and a young Ernest Borgnine. You get addicted to it quick.
“The Cincinnati Kid” with Steve McQueen. Stud poker movie with great actors everywhere.
“Hud” with Paul Newman. Newman is a complete douche. I consider it some of his best work. You see him in a different light as an evil person.
“One Eyed Jacks” with Marlon Brando. A great western.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Panic in the year Zero

Panic in Year Zero! Official Trailer #1 - Ray Milland Movie (1962) HD
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Since someone mentioned Father Goose, Operation Petticoat  must be added to the list...

An American werewolf in London
Halloween 1978
The Hollywood Knights
porkys 1 and 2
Smokey and the Bandit
freebie and the bean
Amazon women on the moon
Salem's lot mini seriws from the 70s
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]
"The Twilight Zone" episodes from the '50s and early '60s. Use the search function on his DVR.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything Cagney, Bogart, E.G. Robinson, The Barrymore's.

The Forgotten Weekend
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Paul Newman:

Cool Hand Luke
Absence of Malice
The Verdict

also

The Great Santini
First Blood (the original, not the sequels that sucked)
Man from Snowy River (also avoid sequel)
The Right Stuff
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Trying to think of stuff not already listed, or that I missed if they were:

The Last Valley
Shogun
Last of the Mohicans
The Duelists
Zulu
Zulu Dawn
Breaker Morant
A Bridge Too Far
Das Boot
Night of the Generals
The Keep
Force 10 From Navarone
Hamburger Hill
Raid on Entebe
The Odessa File
The Boys from Brazil
Bear Island
The Final Countdown
Southern Comfort
The Fourth Protocol
Firefox

...and those are just the war (and war-ish) ones.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
We need to do all we can to disinfect our kids of the lies the schools fill them with.

Try talking over the Xbox headset and explaining progun legislation to kids playing even a FPS game, like Rainbow Six Siege.

I just had a kid try telling me that he knows more than I do, despite his not graduating high school yet, despite him never holding a real gun, etc.

I’d recommend “Schindler’s list” as a good start for them, none of this Disney garbage.

“Uprising” about the Warsaw ghetto uprising is superb, as it shows what a group of people who refuse to submit can do.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250798/

“Turn: Washington’s spies” is another.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#22]
It happened One Night w/Clark Gable & Claudette Colbert  shows how easily you could get around in the USA on just a few bucks back in the old days.

The Time Machine w/Rod Taylor is a good cautionary tale.

The Best Years Of Our Lives, because it's a good coming home story about WWII vets.

The Right Stuff

Apollo Thirteen
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw the thread title and didn’t think it would be about pure entertainment. More along the lines of, what movies can help turn this country back around. So, that’s what I’m going with.

If there were ONE movie that I could have a young person watch, namely a young male, it’d be Courageous. Seriously, we’d be much better shape if the current and next generations of men were to heed the message of that movie. Even just the last five minutes...

Final Speech from, "Courageous"

We are inviting any man whose heart is willing and courageous to join us in this resolution. In my home, the decision has already been made.

You don’t have to ask who will guide my family, because by God’s grace, I will.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Jason and the Argonauts
7th Voyage of Sinbad
(other Harryhausen flicks)

- to be followed by long angry old man rants about how CGI ruined everything good about movies and how suspension of disbelief is what makes movies magical
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I teach a film survey class.  That means I get to show a course-worth of films that address your prompt.  The list is way too long, but I will tell you the ones they like best:

A Trip to the Moon
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Sixth Sense
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Double Indemnity
Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest
The Searchers
Bitch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
American Graffiti
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Every year at the end of the course I ask them to write an essay on "the best" film they screened.  These are the ones that come up every year.  Sure, there are a bunch that are neglected like Citizen Kane or Metropolis, bit I'm shocked some mentioned here are regularly mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#26]
All good movies fellas. Although some of these titles are not "old," I'm thinking before I was born. As in 1978.

The Bridge on the River Kwai- noon Saturday on TCM. I think I'll watch it

Edit: some of the titles mentioned I've seen. River Kwai I've never seen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All good movies fellas. Although some of these titles are not "old," I'm thinking before I was born. As in 1978.

The Bridge on the River Kwai- noon Saturday on TCM. I think I'll watch it

Edit: some of the titles mentioned I've seen. River Kwai I've never seen.
View Quote
I was born in '72, my definition of "old" is pretty much anything I saw as a kid that was made before I was born, or made before I graduated from HS. Because...well, I'm kinda old now too. Plus any parent that doesn't show their kids all the John Hughes movies is totally stunting them for life.

Another one is Nosferatu (the original, not the Klaus Kinski remake) that's definitely old...and creepy. For added fun do a double feature with Shadow of the Vampire right after, it's not so old but it's the perfect compliment to Nosferatu.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Johnny Tremain - Disney
Plus everything previously posted.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top