Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2018 1:06:45 PM EDT
Anyone with experience know which to pick?  There are a bunch out there.  Looking for a bench-mountable model at the best 'value.'  Not necessarily the cheapest.  It will not be a heavy-use unit.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tormach
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one of these at work...For a table top it is not bad and allows for some mid sized projects if you go slow.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0758

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
A little more than what you asked for

But I want one of these so I can knock 2 birds out with one stone

https://smithy.com/Smithy-Lathe-Mill-Combo
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Not budget, but I have the sherline mini mill. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Jet has a pretty good mill drill.  Not table top, runs about 5K
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not budget, but I have the sherline mini mill. Love it.
View Quote
I have this also, and it's great, but...
It's barely adequate for 80 percent lowers, sizewise. Doesn't use standard size T nuts so they're hard to find and expensive.

a plus is that every model they've ever built takes the same parts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have access to one of those and hate it...

The set up times are atrocious...

But they will get the job done to the limit of the machine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Precision Matthews PM25MV

It is all ready setup with a dual range serpentine belt drive so it is quiet and dependable without those "gear" issues. Superior quality to anything put out by Grizzly. (I'm a multi Grizzly owner)

I also have an Industrial Hobbies "large ring" mill with DRO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
No you don't.  They are crap.   Get separate machines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
you can often find a bunch of them on craigslist.

usually because they are a shitty mill and a shitty lathe on one shitty package and the owner doesn't find that out until after they bought it.

Go with the PM25
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a LittleMachineShop.com 3990. It works pretty well for lowers and other such things.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3990&category=1387807683
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correct!

Quoted:

usually because they are a shitty mill and a shitty lathe on one shitty package and the owner doesn't find that out until after they bought it.

Go with the PM25
Correct again!

Those are even worse than a hammer with a screwdriver on the handle. Complete compromise for both of its intended uses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Check Enco a Rong Fu is around 1200-1300.
They are not a Bridgeport but you can but a cheap dro and do 80% ers all day long.
I did an 0% with mine. Never again 57 pages of instruction.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought a LittleMachineShop.com 3990. It works pretty well for lowers and other such things.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3990&category=1387807683
View Quote
@Vermilion

That's the exact one I've been looking at for a while. Any downsides to it that you've found? I'm a complete newbie so I couldn't tell an awesome one from a shitty one just by the numbers/specs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's barely adequate for 80 percent lowers, sizewise. Doesn't use standard size T nuts so they're hard to find and expensive.

View Quote
you have a milling machine. make the t-nuts
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Vermilion

That's the exact one I've been looking at for a while. Any downsides to it that you've found? I'm a complete newbie so I couldn't tell an awesome one from a shitty one just by the numbers/specs.
View Quote
I was/still am a complete newbie but so far it's been great. I read a lot of reviews and such before I bought it and everyone gave it good reviews.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Slight hijack - I’m going to buy a mill soon, and want a lathe. My only use for the lathe will be making parts for fountain pens, most of which are plastic or hard rubber.

Is there a way to turn small parts like this on a traditional mill? I dont want a combo unit, but it seems to me like it should at least be possible to turn small parts out of soft materials by attaching a live center to the bed.

ETA: I’ll get both in time, I’m  just curious if I can get started on my pen making before I invest in a real lathe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the Harbor Freight one back when you could use the 25% off coupons on them. I managed to time it right to get free shipping too.

So far the only upgrade I've gotten for it is Little Machine Shop's belt drive kit. One of these days I'll get some DROs for it too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Have an upgraded X2 that I’ve been pretty happy with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Correct!

Correct again!

Those are even worse than a hammer with a screwdriver on the handle. Complete compromise for both of its intended uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct!

Quoted:

Go with the PM25
Correct again!

I'm stealing that description
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use one of these at work...For a table top it is not bad and allows for some mid sized projects if you go slow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3064/grizzlysmallmill-634102.JPG
View Quote
Nailed it.  AKA g0704 aka BF-20.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Just fyi, the Jet, Grizzly, and Harbor Freight ones are all the same models made by a Chinese company and branded with different tags and colors.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm currently looking too.
The PM-932M milling machine is a nice mill too. There are several makers with similar machines, around the same price point.

My lathe is rebuilt 1958 Logan 1920, I thought it was a great deal at $350.00 and needed some work, $1200.00 later, I am making chips.
For another $400 I could of bought a new machine with the same or better capabilities.

Used is nice but be prudent if that is a thought.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go with the PM25
View Quote
I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my head around why they are always considered so bad

For my uses and also the small garage space I have it seems like the right option

Now obviously I know its not the best one out there. But it sure seems like it would get work done
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3064/grizzlysmallmill-634102.JPG
View Quote
I watched a video a few weeks back of a guy converting one of these to run as CNC along with manual. Really makes me want one.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the Grizzly X2 model and it is fine a couple of small upgrades and it works fine for what I do, I added the drive pulley system and got rid of the plastic gears and I put DRO's on it, it works good for what it is, gun lowers and smaller parts for restoration for various things I play with like boats and cars.  I also have the HF 7x12 Mini lathe that I have modified to be able to work on barrels so I can cut them down and re-profile them, it works great as well, I also use it for suppressor prototypes that I send to my partner in WA to but on the big machines.

Even with the smaller bench tops, figure you will spend double the money to get decent tooling for them, I was lucky and found mine in a package deal on Craigslist and it came with all of the tooling for the machines and I only paid about a Grand for the whole package.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my head around why they are always considered so bad

For my uses and also the small garage space I have it seems like the right option

Now obviously I know its not the best one out there. But it sure seems like it would get work done
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with the PM25

If you want to work on stuff baseball sized and smaller it might work.  You can't get anything of any size in a multi purpose machine.  You need to hold your work down, and vises take up space.  Before you know it you can't fit anything in there.  The chucks have super tiny thru holes.  The mills have so little travel.

A wise dude learns from OTHER people's mistakes.  There is an internet full of people telling you don't make this mistake.  We aren't telling you this for our benefit.  We're trying to help you not screw up.  Kinda like when your buddy has his beer goggles on and you try to keep him from going home with the land whale.

Don't go home with the land whale.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag.  I'm looking at getting one and a lathe too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you want to work on stuff baseball sized and smaller it might work.  You can't get anything of any size in a multi purpose machine.  You need to hold your work down, and vises take up space.  Before you know it you can't fit anything in there.  The chucks have super tiny thru holes.  The mills have so little travel.

A wise dude learns from OTHER people's mistakes.  There is an internet full of people telling you don't make this mistake.  We aren't telling you this for our benefit.  We're trying to help you not screw up.  Kinda like when your buddy has his beer goggles on and you try to keep him from going home with the land whale.

View Quote
I hear ya. I still have a ways to go on learning them

It's just kinda seeming like it's not going to work out. I cant have a lathe the size of a small car in my garage :(. Nor can I drop 10k getting 2 machines.

The only thing I'd use them for is gunsmithing projects. Threading barrels. I need to make a repair section for that mp34 I have.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought the Harbor Freight one back when you could use the 25% off coupons on them.
View Quote
And it doesn’t take up a ton of room, I can move it myself, and it does what I need it to do. Fun to play with.
Probably the cheapest out there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any time you have to take time to set up an accurate machine, it’s a pita. I like to have stuff ready to go when I need it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#33]
its of no use if you don't have the space for them, but you can hunt for deals on full sized machines on craigslist, etc, and given the time you'll find em.  I ended up getting a bridgeport and a LeBlonde for $3k total (separate deals) by hunting and bargaining.

Now the part no one tells you about, much like a camera were the body is the cheapest part of your setup, you will spend way more on tooling and parts then you did on the machines in the first place.  Nothing wrong with it, but just know that's almost 100% likely to happen.  Just like guns, I hope when I die my wife doesn't sell my machines for what I told her they cost. :)

As for the smithy, as a real machinist friend told me (I'm jsut a hack trying to learn), rigidity is your friend, and those have very little of it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have a makers space or tech shop kind of deal nearby I'd strongly recommend a membership there over buying your own equipment.  You'll get access to more and better equipment than you can fit in your garage.  And for just occasional use it's a better deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm space constrained so I have a Grizzly G8689 (their version of the Sieg X2). If you're going for one in this size class, get the one from Little Machine Shop without the tilting column. The tilting feature really isn't useful and makes the machine less rigid. That said, I've found mine very useful working with aluminum, plastics, wood, and even steel. You just need to keep the limitations of the machine in mind vis-a-vis the material you're working on. I did a couple of 80% lowers on mine after adding the belt drive and DROs.

Attachment Attached File

I highly recommend a belt drive. It makes the machine much quieter and vibrates a lot less than the gear drive. DROs also make it a lot more useful.

Don't forget to budget for tooling.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm space constrained so I have a Grizzly G8689 (their version of the Sieg X2).
View Quote
nice thing there is that there are several CNC conversions available for that model, so down the road you have that option.  Even with a manual there are times I wish I had a CNC. :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Check Enco a Rong Fu is around 1200-1300.
They are not a Bridgeport but you can but a cheap dro and do 80% ers all day long.
I did an 0% with mine. Never again 57 pages of instruction.
View Quote
Enco has been gone since 2016. Bought out by MSC, operated as a separate entity for a while but eventually shut down. Their machines were good values.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]
MSC still sells a few of the Enco branded imports in its Big Book.

I think closing Enco was a big mistake, they should have kept it open as the MSC outlet store.

I used to buy all my Mobile Oil machine tool products via Enco, also machine coolants. Get that free shipping on orders over $99 plus the 25% off coupon and buy to 5 gal buckets per order.

Yes, I really miss Enco.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.........
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Slight hijack - I'm going to buy a mill soon, and want a lathe. My only use for the lathe will be making parts for fountain pens, most of which are plastic or hard rubber.

Is there a way to turn small parts like this on a traditional mill? I dont want a combo unit, but it seems to me like it should at least be possible to turn small parts out of soft materials by attaching a live center to the bed.

ETA: I'll get both in time, I'm  just curious if I can get started on my pen making before I invest in a real lathe.
View Quote
if all your going to do with it is make pens I can not see why even the harbor freight mini lathe would not be enough, that said, you will find other projects so larger is better.  Maybe a SB 9 to get your feet wet before you go spending tens of thousands of dollars?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm space constrained so I have a Grizzly G8689 (their version of the Sieg X2). Don't forget to budget for tooling.
View Quote
Yup same one that I have in the shop, it works fine, but the belt drive and DRO's are a must and as I mentioned, the tooling is the expensive part of the equation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#42]
So if a guy with little more experience than milling out a couple 80 percent lowers wanted to buy a new or used mill between $1,000-$4,000 but couldn't justify the cost for milling just a few more lowers needed a couple small projects to help offset the initial cost, what would he be able to do?

Asking for a friend of a friend.

Turns out that friend has a small mill but would like to buy a bigger mill and would like it to be more productive than some occasional aluminum lowers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with the PM25

I made a prototype full auto shotgun  on one. The receiver was about the size of a 1919.... Just a little shorter
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So if a guy with little more experience than milling out a couple 80 percent lowers wanted to buy a new or used mill between $1,000-$4,000 but couldn't justify the cost for milling just a few more lowers needed a couple small projects to help offset the initial cost, what would he be able to do?

Asking for a friend of a friend.

Turns out that friend has a small mill but would like to buy a bigger mill and would like it to be more productive than some occasional aluminum lowers.
View Quote
That would largely depend on how he was able to market doing small jobs, his skill, and tooling.  Oh and doing lowers for someone else without the correct FFL is a good way to end up in PMITA fed prison, just a friendly word of warning.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Totally saving that one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This made me laugh.  Obvious solution is obvious.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

nice thing there is that there are several CNC conversions available for that model, so down the road you have that option.  Even with a manual there are times I wish I had a CNC. :)
View Quote
for thread inspiration, here is a G0704 I converted to see and sea

Link Posted: 8/11/2018 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not expensive even if you don't make them.

Benefit of the Sherlines is that you don't have Chinese quality control.   They're aimed at smaller work than a lot of the imported machines, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#49]
This shit is all Greek to me.  Where can I learn the basics of milling and machine work?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This shit is all Greek to me.  Where can I learn the basics of milling and machine work?
View Quote
See if your community colleges have basic machine shop classes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top