Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2018 1:45:24 PM EDT
I’m wanting to mount a TV on the exterior of my house. It has that hardie / fiber cement type siding. I have a Craftsman stud finder and it’s having issues locating the studs.

Should I buy a better stud finder? I know people say measure for the stud from the interior windows, but the place I want to mount the TV is over a section of an interior restroom that does not have windows.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
put up a board with 3M 5200, it dries slow (about a week), but it will pull boards off before it fails and mount tv to it

HEY...you asked for ideas
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Dowsing rods.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably do not need to hit a stud if you can get a board with a few large screws through the hardiplank (Or just cut out a section of hardi) and into the exterior sheathing. Maybe some glue too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Drill two through-holes about 18" apart and loop a large zip-tie through. Guaranteed to grab at least a couple of studs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Strong rare earth magnets.

No, seriously. Quickest way to find drywall screws.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It is best to scrape all of the paint off the entire house to see if you can find the nails going into the studs and than repaint. If you just scrape one side the paint will not match the other sides. If that does not work it is best to rip all the siding off to find the studs and than replace siding.

or you could find out if you are 16OC or 24OC and get an approximation of where you think the stud is and take a long thin finish nail and drive it in. You will know if you hit a stud or not and the hole is easily filled.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably do not need to hit a stud if you can get a board with a few large screws through the hardiplank (Or just cut out a section of hardi) and into the exterior sheathing. Maybe some glue too.
View Quote
If you use screws lag bolts long enough to go through the Hardiplank and into the sheathing you won't need to hit a stud. Over the years I've worked in IT we've mounted a lot of heavy stuff to plywood backboards that were screwed to studs. Your sheathing is essentially the same thing. Just make sure you go all the way through the siding and into the sheathing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you use screws lag bolts long enough to go through the Hardiplank and into the sheathing you won't need to hit a stud. Over the years I've worked in IT we've mounted a lot of heavy stuff to plywood backboards that were screwed to studs. Your sheathing is essentially the same thing. Just make sure you go all the way through the siding and into the sheathing.
View Quote
You are aware that not all houses have plywood sheathing. Some of the older houses had some crap that was like a weather proof sheetrock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
according to this

you actually do have to remove the siding and drill extra holes to hold wires and shit (I would only remove siding that is covered my the tv, it will look moar better)

P.S. I you make hole too big, just buy a bigger tv
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know your distance between studs, I'd think you could get pretty close just measuring from a corner.  Drive a finish nail where you think there may be a stud.  You'll know if you hit one.  If you miss, adjust one way or another and try again.  You should be able to find one without too many holes, which can easily be filled and painted.  If you plan ahead some, you could even ensure that your holes will be covered by the tv anyways.

ETA: If you're going to be running your wires in the wall anyways, cut your holes where you want them and measure from there to the studs on either side.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I was trying to hang some big screen TVs on a wall for my friend last month but the problem is that many offices use those f'd up metal studs instead of wood. I couldn't find the studs with an ordinary stud finder.

The magnet on a chain worked great. Not that expensive too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was trying to hang some big screen TVs on a wall for my friend last month but the problem is that many offices use those f'd up metal studs instead of wood. I couldn't find the studs with an ordinary stud finder.

The magnet on a chain worked great. Not that expensive too.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251584839741-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4EgF1DHkWjA/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
That's a pretty awesome idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably easier to do a top mount and attach to the studs or plywood in the soffit

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
My Hardi plank board ends line up on studs, find a joint/seam and measure in 16" increments to where you want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is correct
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Strong magnet
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
this

the hardi board has been nailed/screwed on. find those
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Thanks everyone. I found the lined up nails/screws. Hard to see at first because they were covered with paint but I found 2 studs. I went over them again with the deep stud finder mode and it faintly detected a stud in both spots.

Of course they are not exactly where I wanted to mount the TV to keep it symmetrical between both windows but I can get a mount with a longer “arm” to position it better after I secure the mount.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're assuming there's sheathing underneath..
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Have your husband do it when he gets home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m wanting to mount a TV on the exterior of my house. It has that hardie / fiber cement type siding. I have a Craftsman stud finder and it’s having issues locating the studs.

Should I buy a better stud finder? I know people say measure for the stud from the interior windows, but the place I want to mount the TV is over a section of an interior restroom that does not have windows.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
View Quote
Measuring from windows *might* work, but I've seen it not work as well.

You can try running a magnet to look for nails, buying a better stud finder, or in some cases, a thermal camera will help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Over the years I've worked in IT we've mounted a lot of heavy stuff to plywood backboards that were screwed to studs. Your sheathing is essentially the same thing.
View Quote
Unless his sheathing is OSB.

The issue isn't the weight of the television, it's the force from wind and/or anyone that may pull, tug, or hang on the TV - during or after the installation. :D
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a FLIR thermal imaging camera.

If theres a good temperature differential between indoors and outdoors it’ll show exterior wall studs like you’re looking at an x-ray.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems like a good alternative.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've never done exactly that, but my Zircon stud finder has a "deep scan" feature for that type of situation.  It works well for everything I've needed done.  
View Quote
I have the deep scan Zircon as well.  It has gone through tile and 1.5" of concrete/plaster to find studs with no problem.

Zircon also makes another great tool that plugs into an outlet and has a sensor to show you what breaker it is on.  Two tools you need in old houses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top