Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2018 3:14:28 PM EDT
...to shoot.

Prefer Revolutionary War or up to Civil War.

What are my options?

Can’t give price, as I don’t know the price? Under $700?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 1853 Enfield. I like it.

dixie gun works
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the looks of a Mortimer rifle. I think Pedersoli makes the replicas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Zouave in .58 cal.Fun to shoot.

Cast my own bullets for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do an 1853 Enfield again, or a Zouave replica in 58. The Zouave has a shorter barrel, but the Enfield meets the really long criteria, 55 inches with a 39 inch barrel.

They use winged musket caps, and it's fun to cast softlead using the cheap lee setup. The and the learning curve is not particularly steep. The only problem is that you need to be handy with the cleaning, rust pops up in funny places, and it seems like almost immediately.

If you don't see one here, I see them on the castboolits forum with regularity.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Pedersoli Brown Bess. It is on my list as well OP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Zouave, Enfield or a Springfield

If I recall there’s a couple guys on here who make revolutionary era smoke poles. Some beautiful pieces to be sure
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a Hawken rifle replica that was an absolute blast to shoot. Pretty sure it was a Pietta...something Italian, anyways.

Pretty brass and walnut, octagonal barrel with gorgeous bluing, and plenty accurate to hunt within 100 yards or so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the guys on my N-SSA team has an original US Model 1863 musket for sale. It was made by SN&WTC (a government contractor) for the state of Massachusetts in 1863.
Go to N-SSA.org and check out the "for sale or trade".
If you have trouble finding it, PM me and I'll try to help.
I suggest this gun since it is an original and is priced at only $1075. A repro is $900 or so, so you'll be better off investing in a gun that will not only hold its' value, buy will increase in value every year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind do you want? Military style? Hawken? Pennsyltucky rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with something closer to the Civil War because it will be a cap lock .

Starting with a Flinter could turn you off to shooting BP .
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...to shoot.

What are my options?

View Quote
First you need to determine exactly what you want to do with it(Hunt, target shoot, re-enact, etc.)and what time period you prefer
The U.S. military used smoothbores(including flintlocks) right up until the decade before the War Between the States(and continued to during the war).

Modern reproductions exist for pretty much any era. Flintlock and/or percussion.

Hate to break it to you but if you're buying new you're going to have to x2.5 your budget.
Finding used is possible but even then figure $1K and that is just for the firearm.
Additional accoutrements such as bayonets, scabbard, belt, ammo pouch, tools, shooting supplies adds up.

Smoothbores are fun and challenging to learn to shoot accurately. They'll never match a rifled gun in accuracy. Think of them as a modern shotgun. You can use slugs, buckshot, birdshot, in them. Even rocks.
Rifled guns will require hand cast/purchased purpose made bullets.

Pedersoli makes fantastic replicas. Buy with confidence.
I own several and love them all.

The Brown Bess or Charleville musket replicas are pretty much going to cover any time period right up to the U.S. CivWar. They were used everywhere. In the early West, Texas Revolution, etc. So if you're re-enacting these two will have you covered.
You can even get the Bess in a carbine version nowadays.

U.S.CivWar period the 1861 Springfield or the 1853 Enfield were everywhere.

I prefer the stock angle and ergonomics of the Springfield. The Enfield has a very low stock drop and it doesn't fit me as well as the Springfield.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Why is that?

I've thought about getting into BP weapons, and my inclination has always been towards flintlocks.

Are flintlocks juat significantly more finicky?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
$1,100!

Yeouch!

I’d be willing to buy and assemble a kit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an 1853 Enfield. I like it.
View Quote
Same. Not defarbed, but I like it.

Longrifles are fun, too.

And there are plenty of military guns if you go further back in time. A matchlock arquebus is fun.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with the Pedersoli Bess, personally. It’s pricey, but it’s worth what they are asking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why is that?

I've thought about getting into BP weapons, and my inclination has always been towards flintlocks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

I've never bought into the "don't start with a flintlock" advice I keep hearing. My first rifle was a flintlock. Even before I owned a centerfire or rimfire. I learnt the old way. And I had no one to teach me. All I did was some reading to educate myself first and it was a piece o' cake. Just take the time to acquire some knowledge first and it's not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same. Not defarbed, but I like it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7739/18073739116_2001dc80ca_b.jpg

Longrifles are fun, too.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4151/35597367862_731a0be627_b.jpg

And there are plenty of military guns if you go further back in time. A matchlock arquebus is fun.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7540/27366059092_428f15ba48_b.jpg
View Quote
badass

then double badass

then omgwtfbbq mf'in Super Badass!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First you need to determine exactly what you want to do with it(Hunt, target shoot, re-enact, etc.)and what time period you prefer
The U.S. military used smoothbores(including flintlocks) right up until the decade before the War Between the States(and continued to during the war).

Modern reproductions exist for pretty much any era. Flintlock and/or percussion.

Hate to break it to you but if you're buying new you're going to have to x2.5 your budget.
Finding used is possible but even then figure $1K and that is just for the firearm.
Additional accoutrements such as bayonets, scabbard, belt, ammo pouch, tools, shooting supplies adds up.

Smoothbores are fun and challenging to learn to shoot accurately. They'll never match a rifled gun in accuracy. Think of them as a modern shotgun. You can use slugs, buckshot, birdshot, in them. Even rocks.

The Brown Bess or Charleville musket replicas are pretty much going to cover any time period right up to the U.S. CivWar. They were used everywhere. In the early West, Texas Revolution, etc. So if you're re-enacting these two will have you covered.

I prefer the stock angle and ergonomics of the Springfield. The Enfield has a very low stock drop and it doesn't fit me as well as the Springfield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...to shoot.

What are my options?

Thanks! I’m shooting for fun. History teacher. Maybe re-enact one day.

Looks like the Brown Bess.

I cast bullets so casting .735” bullets won’t be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m left handed. If I shoot as a lefty will I die having my face so close to the hammer and powder pan?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to hunt, get a P-56 2 band Enfield.  Those things are wickedly accurate and will hit harder than any inline with its sabot clad bullet.  535 grains of soft lead puts critters down.  Confederate sharpshooters used the P-56 and those shorter ones were taken from other soldiers and saved for them).
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m left handed. If I shoot as a lefty will I die having my face so close to the hammer and powder pan?
View Quote
Wear safety glasses.  I'm southpaw and shot a right handed flintlock quite a number of times.  Concentrate on that front sight blade.  I don't notice the flash in the pan.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#22]
BTW, taught a black powder class last week.  One gun was a 32 cal cap gun that was made in 1883.  Yikes!  It was accurate but what a pain to clean.  Teaching a blackpowder rifle class this weekend too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wear safety glasses.  I'm southpaw and shot a right handed flintlock quite a number of times.  Concentrate on that front sight blade.  I don't notice the flash in the pan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will do, thanks!

This thread can be blamed on Last of the Mohicans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Long rifle, or musket? Pick one.

Oh, yeah, Arfcom..... learn the difference between the two, then get BOTH.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Got this made by a fellow in north central pa, 50 cal.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Flintlocks have a learning curve of thier own.
You'll have learn the basics of loading , cleaning and caring for it BUT you won't  have to learn much about ignition .

Flintlocks can be cantankerous and you'll  need to learn to knap your flint , prick your charge wipe the frizzen .

Believe me when I say UNLESS you know someone who shoots flint you will be happier with a hooked breech cap lock .
Cleaning will be Much easier with a hooked breech.

Which means you can easily remove the barrel and dunk each end into a bucket of hot soapy water , then suck water up and into the tube with a tight patch .
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Perdorsoli Indian trade musket. It's a pretty basic and accurate depiction of a gun that you would find on the colonial American frontier. Most people didn't own a military musket. Most people couldn't afford expensive rifles. Most people could only afford one gun that had to do everything.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Black powder is fun but it is a PITA to clean. Stinks too. Back in college I had to have one of my many talks with the dean about using a toilet to clean a Hawken.

Would probably be expelled, prosecuted, and strung up for that now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Musket-Brown Bess.

Rifle-Enfield replica...I'd choose a 3 band.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

They're harder to shoot.  If you have any kind of a flinch (and with a poof of powder going off next to your face, you will) you will miss.

That said, flint guns are a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
$1,100!

Yeouch!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1,100!

Yeouch!

Yeah, good replicas are pricey.  Kits aren't much cheaper, if at all.

But the Bess is the best.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You'll have learn the basics of loading , cleaning and caring for it BUT you won't  have to learn much about ignition .

Flintlocks can be cantankerous and you'll  need to learn to knap your flint , prick your charge wipe the frizzen .

Believe me when I say UNLESS you know someone who shoots flint you will be happier with a hooked breech cap lock .

Which means you can easily remove the barrel and dunk each end into a bucket of hot soapy water , then suck water up and into the tube with a tight patch .
View Quote
OK - I wonder this every time I see your avatar.  You're either a builder that I know or you're aware of a builder that I know.

So, do you build flintlocks?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

$1,100!

Yeouch!

View Quote
All these years of knowing me, and I wasn't the first one you asked...

:)

Be wary of what you are getting into with a kit & having to finish it yourself. Most of your
decision regarding a kit is how long do you want to spend finishing it up & fitting it, and
how you want it to look when you are finished. Do you already have the special chisels
needed to make it look right? Do you have the patience? I have finished my own from
raw uncut blanks, and I have bought finished rifles as well. Now, I am married, so I
can't spend the time on finishing kits like when I was younger.

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders....Track of the Wolf... Jim Kibler... If you go the kit
route & want to finish it yourself, go Kibler... You will have it finished MUCH faster.

Round-bottom rifling? Square-bottom rifling? Gain twist? Swamped barrel? Large
left hand Siler or Durrs Egg? Will your lock ignite upside down? Can't shoot those
Minies as accurate out of a round-ball twist rifle; Know what you want the rifle to do
for sure before you start out...

Check out the black powder section in the armory here...
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]

I’d like to have a long rifle like Hawkeye’s in ‘Last of the Mohicans’, though a sawed-off trade rifle would probably be more tribe-correct.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#35]
If you’re ever gonna hunt/go afield I’d recommend a fowler. You can do pretty much anything with it.
The Bess is a heavy beast.

Flinters require patience to master. Buy good flints and learn to knap them. It isn’t brain surgery.

With a flintlock you have to use real Blackpowder. The substitutes do not work. BP is getting difficult to obtain in some areas so check local availability. In some states you can order thru the internet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]
No matter what you get use real black powder. I make my own. I make about 24 ounces at a time. A small cannon eats a lot of powder.
I use 2 ounce charges in mine which is mild. 1 3/4" bore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

OK - I wonder this every time I see your avatar.  You're either a builder that I know or you're aware of a builder that I know.

So, do you build flintlocks?
View Quote
I love Rocklock, he's a font of knowledge. For proof just check out the BP forum.

I also, have an affinity for hitting rocks and steel together to make sparks.
i shoot commercial guns but it's still so cool killing something with a round ball you moulded yourself.
Once you get into the groove flintys are routine.  Just keep EVERYTHING clean.

And keep your powder dry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Keeping things clean and properly oiled is important.

One thing I learned using flinters is don’t overload the pan with powder. Use 3-4 grains.
You want to keep the powder toward the outer lip of the pan as well.
When the flash occurs, you want the spray to reach the flash hole. Too much powder causes the flash hole
To be covered up. This will greatly slow ignition and even cause misfires.
Sharp flints are your friend.
The frizzen face needs to be clean and dry of oil when you start to shoot. Any oil will retard sparking.

Don’t make paper cartridges until just before you will use them. BP absorbs moisture. Paper cartridges made too soon have time to absorb moisture and can cause slow or even misfires.
Keep your BP sealed up in the factory jug. Only put enough in your powder horn for the days use.

Roundballs are easy to make.
Patching used in a smoothbore can yield acceptable short range accuracy.

Using a flint musket really makes you understand why the bayonet was so important.

Post pics!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
One of the guys at the range has one of the militaryheritage Brown Bess muskets. You have to drill out the vent hole for it to fire, but he's happy with it. It seems well made, but IDK much about BP firearms.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/f5/LOTM_002.jpg/604px-LOTM_002.jpg

I’d like to have a long rifle like Hawkeye’s in ‘Last of the Mohicans’, though a sawed-off trade rifle would probably be more tribe-correct.
View Quote
An Allen conversion breechloader?  That's cheat'n.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One of the guys at the range has one of the militaryheritage Brown Bess muskets. You have to drill out the vent hole for it to fire, but he's happy with it. It seems well made, but IDK much about BP firearms.
View Quote
Is that one of the Indian guns?

Personally, I wouldn't make them shooters.  Maybe blank shooters.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably. I sort of want a 1795 for a wall hanger, it would suit my needs. The guy at the range shot his every weekend for a couple of months and still has all his appendages. It's a sample of one, I guess it depends on how much you plan on shooting and how risk adverse you are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Eventually I'll get around to buying either a Pedersoli 1853 three band Enfield or an 1858 two band Enfield.

I like the look and feel of the two band better but if I ever reenact CW the three bander makes more sense
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I built a Lyman Great Plains .50 cal flintlock from a kit several years ago, it was fun to build, and even more fun to shoot.

Love the smoke from real black powder (not that substitute crap), especially in the fall.

And just because it's sweet to watch a flintlock in slow motion...
slow motion flintlock close up
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a Zouave in .58 cal.Fun to shoot.

Cast my own bullets for it.
View Quote
Almost got one but saw they they were pretty much never used in the war. Maybe a small handful at best. Still tempting though
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

An Allen conversion breechloader?  That's cheat'n.
View Quote
That's a Snider (Brit) conversion. Their version of the Allen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only thing I'd really suggest - have two

Bess
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Rev
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Besses
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first was a pinned barrel. Not a problem at all. The horror stories are just that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's a Snider (Brit) conversion. Their version of the Allen.
View Quote
Nope....it's a French Tabatiere.

Most were converted to shotguns and sold as "Zulu" guns in the 1900's.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Short barrel blunderbuss is fun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top